Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
LOL if you don't just watch lovely cam videos of new releases on the internet at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Bring back the 1950's movie experience where you have 2 features some cartoons and serials and a newsreel just playing on a loop and anyone can show up when they want. Also they should only project film and the prints should be severely degraded from playing on a loop all the time.

Tom Funk
Feb 19, 2010
I saw Nosferatu recently with a guy playing the pipe organ. It was really neat.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Reserved seating is cool according to my wife, but I haven’t been in a theatre in probably 10 years.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The true power is theaters not part of a chain. Walk in early and there's a blank loving screen.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Tom Funk posted:

I saw Nosferatu recently with a guy playing the pipe organ. It was really neat.

What was his name?

Tom Funk
Feb 19, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

What was his name?

Dean. He was very good.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Waltzing Along posted:

Anyway, thanks for reading. I guess I won't see the Spider Man film until it's on streaming.
sounds like the system works op, and get this you don’t even need to watch it at all!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I stood up and clapped after watching Army of Darkness in a dollar theatre.

There was people booing in the front, but I perceive it was was from the empty beer cans rolling down the aisle.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Man I hate the no talking in theaters poo poo. Sitting and watching a movie in silence is not a social activity, why is it framed as something you do with your friends? Engaging verbally with the text of the film in real time is a key part of the experience, unlike hearing the enunciation of each and every syllable uttered by Dr Strange and the Funky Bunch. I guess what I'm saying is, I hope the hilarious gentlemen who provided free live commentary on X3 now have jobs in comedy.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

movie theaters are dead like drive-in theaters, they just don't know it yet

never should have let the poors have home theaters

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Man I hate the no talking in theaters poo poo. Sitting and watching a movie in silence is not a social activity, why is it framed as something you do with your friends? Engaging verbally with the text of the film in real time is a key part of the experience, unlike hearing the enunciation of each and every syllable uttered by Dr Strange and the Funky Bunch. I guess what I'm saying is, I hope the hilarious gentlemen who provided free live commentary on X3 now have jobs in comedy.

This reminds me of that "weird movie experiences" thread and someone mentioned a time at the movie theater turned interesting and a little awkward when some college kids tried doing their rehearsed attempt at MST3k humor during a screening. One guy put the brakes on that poo poo quickly by just saying "Yo. Shut the gently caress up." and the college idiots piped down and sat quietly through the movie. Even I kinda felt embarrassed for those dorks by just reading the post. I don't know what they expected to happen.

Burt Sexual posted:

Reserved seating is cool according to my wife, but I haven’t been in a theatre in probably 10 years.

:same:

I'd like to see a newer film, though. Nothing has really triggered my interest into dropping money down for the whole experience when I can just wait for a bit to see it on TV, at home, in my own recliner. I'm not much of a movie person though.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i cant really imagine a reason to go to a mainstream movie theater except to watch paul thomas anderson movies

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

20 seat theaters are great, I haven't had to sit next to 400 people clapping like seals every time a superman does something "epic" since the age of ultron

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hiyo, Fandango.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LegvZI3o-zA

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Papa Emeritus III posted:

This reminds me of that "weird movie experiences" thread and someone mentioned a time at the movie theater turned interesting and a little awkward when some college kids tried doing their rehearsed attempt at MST3k humor during a screening. One guy put the brakes on that poo poo quickly by just saying "Yo. Shut the gently caress up." and the college idiots piped down and sat quietly through the movie. Even I kinda felt embarrassed for those dorks by just reading the post. I don't know what they expected to happen.

I remember that post and I still feel embarrassed just reading your post about it. I wish I could find it but :effort:

I think what they expected to happen was that STDH.txt of some guy who turned a movie into an impromtu "MST3K Riff-fest". Wish I could find that one, too.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fishing with the fam posted:

Reserved seating is the best thing to happen to movie theaters since the silent era ended.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

On a Saturday afternoon, it's nice to just show up at the theater, get a tub of popcorn and some soda and just watch a movie. But nope. Can't do that any more.

You can, just not the hot new release

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Reserved seating owns. gently caress showing up 2+ hours before showing to get decent seats on opening night

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
It's not fair that casuals can get day one tickets just by buying online. Back in my day if you wanted to see the new Star Wars you had to camp out.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Lol if you go to the movie theater ever and don't just rent/buy/torrent 4 months later

hathfallen
Dec 22, 2003
Reserved seats are great, just please stop making full service theaters where the servers crawl like Gollum up to people during the movie and whisper WILL THERE BE ANYTHING ELSE

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Away all Goats posted:

Reserved seating owns. gently caress showing up 2+ hours before showing to get decent seats on opening night
Yeah seriously. Reserve your seats inadvance and show up 15 minutes late to skip the ads. Reserved seating has nothing to do with fancy reclining chairs either, here you can reserve regular seats too or just take any available ones.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the worst was when i reserved a seat and the seat ended up being some random dude's lap, he fidgeted the entire movie

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Riatsala posted:

I remember that post and I still feel embarrassed just reading your post about it. I wish I could find it but :effort:

I think what they expected to happen was that STDH.txt of some guy who turned a movie into an impromtu "MST3K Riff-fest". Wish I could find that one, too.

What's the name of it? I've never heard of it so I'm curious now. But yeah, I blame any friends of those nerds who knew of their plan and didn't say "Listen, guys... no." to stop an awkward tragedy.
I know. They have no friends.

On another note, I have never set foot into an iMax theater. Are those badass and worth the extra dough? I don't hear much about them anymore in comparison to about when Avatar came out and I'm wondering if it was just a fad or did the immersion make people feel seasick too drat much?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Found 'em:

quote:

my college theatre was doing a showing of The Princess Bride and I'd never seen it before, so my friends took me. During the movie there was this group of 3-4 people who I guess were trying to make their own Rifftrax? Like they all had coordinated these jokes they'd shout at different times during the movie, really lame quips too like "that's what she said!". It was a packed theater too so I guess they thought everyone would cheer and applaud them for their brilliant wit. They weren't funny and they stopped about a half hour in after a guy shouted at them to shut up.

and

quote:

I saw Ghostrider with a bunch of my friends on opening night just to heckle it. We even held a contest to see who could throw out the best heckle.

Apparently my friend had the same exact idea as me because as soon as Ghostrider first appeared we yelled out "HOW'D IT GET BURNED?" in our best Wicker Man impressions. The audience loving lost it and the rest of the movie turned into a MSTK riff fest

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Papa Emeritus III posted:

What's the name of it? I've never heard of it so I'm curious now. But yeah, I blame any friends of those nerds who knew of their plan and didn't say "Listen, guys... no." to stop an awkward tragedy.
I know. They have no friends.

On another note, I have never set foot into an iMax theater. Are those badass and worth the extra dough? I don't hear much about them anymore in comparison to about when Avatar came out and I'm wondering if it was just a fad or did the immersion make people feel seasick too drat much?

I only saw one movie in IMAX and How to Train Your Dragon in imax 3D was fantastic.

A friend and I are debating going to see Godzilla there when it comes out but a two hour drive to the nearest is unappealing

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Logan was released and I was the only one in the theatre. I ran up and down the aisle shouting expletives like it was my living room.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

imo IMAX is worth it if the movie you're seeing is really heavy on the spectacle or has a great soundtrack or both. I've seen a lot of movies in IMAX and the ones that immediately spring to mind as most worth it were Avatar, Interstellar, and Fury Road.

Most CG animated movies are worth it as well.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Riatsala posted:

Found 'em

Ah, thank you!
Jesus, they let them go on for a half hour?

Len posted:

I only saw one movie in IMAX and How to Train Your Dragon in imax 3D was fantastic.

A friend and I are debating going to see Godzilla there when it comes out but a two hour drive to the nearest is unappealing

Oh yeah. I forgot that they did the 3D poo poo. I don't know why else you'd go to a drat iMax if it weren't. Duh. Jesus, Papa. :eng99:

I went to a science museum in Tampa for the Bodies exhibit. It's a fancy spot called MOSI. They have an iMax and it is incredibly massive. I was offered a free ticket to see one of the newer Batman movies for attending the exhibition. I didn't go because I "don't really care for superhero movies" and I still kinda regret that choice.

Riatsala posted:

imo IMAX is worth it if the movie you're seeing is really heavy on the spectacle or has a great soundtrack or both. I've seen a lot of movies in IMAX and the ones that immediately spring to mind as most worth it were Avatar, Interstellar, and Fury Road.

Most CG animated movies are worth it as well.

I've heard that before from other people. If it's an animated movie or heavy on special effects, then you can really embrace the details that a regular film would lose.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Took one of my kids to into the spiderverse, reserved seats online got on an aisle, great movie would reserve seats again

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The reserve seats loving own, they're comfy and clean and it basically doesn't matter where you sit because the recliner does all the work of craning your neck. Every theater in my area has converted to them, even the cheap-rear end second run joints but you can still get $4.50 Tuesday matinees all day long, poo poo is on fire.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

McSpanky posted:

The reserve seats loving own, they're comfy and clean and it basically doesn't matter where you sit because the recliner does all the work of craning your neck. Every theater in my area has converted to them, even the cheap-rear end second run joints but you can still get $4.50 Tuesday matinees all day long, poo poo is on fire.

$4.50 Tuesday showings are your second run prices?

Jesus. Our first run reserved place is $5 on Tuesdays. Living in the hell that is NE Ohio has that at least

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Pre-assigned seating sucks

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Screama posted:

Pre-assigned seating sucks

sucks....sessfully makes movie-going a better experience.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Preassigned seating sucks I say digging my fist into the popcorn bucket, chewing mouth open and laughing while watching transformers elbow to elbow with 150 other people around me

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Sorry about your cartoon movie for children, op.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
What I take from this thread is that Americans mostly eat stuff at the cinema? Not surprised really.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zombiepop posted:

What I take from this thread is that Americans mostly eat stuff at the cinema? Not surprised really.

Not pictured: ice cream shop, open bar and diner, multiple candy and soda vending machines down the aisles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Burt Sexual posted: