Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Reserved seating sucks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
God forbid theaters look for a way to operate at capacity instead of showing movies to half empty rows of cramped, lovely seats.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Bananaquiter posted:

Assigned seating sucks when you get stuck by a bunch of speds or kids and the only way to switch seats is to leave and get tickets for another showing.

Also having to sit directly next to a stranger and having them drink from the wrong cup.

stop watching movies made for speds and you wont have that problem sped

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
You guys complaining about seats when the real sham is the $11 popcorn

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

suuma posted:

You guys complaining about seats when the real sham is the $11 popcorn

Look at this guy buying concessions. Lol.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Reserved seating is not necessarily upgraded seating

Theater near me has assigned seating for the regular smaller seats, not the giant lounge chairs- for the big ones it doesn't matter if there's someone beside you

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Robokomodo posted:

Look at this guy buying concessions. Lol.

Someone get that rube a hoodie and a bag stat

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

All movies are bad and/or made for chinese audiences these days so why would it matter what the seating arrangement is, op? Just stay at home and not waste your money.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I hate Alamo Drafthouse. No talking and no phones is fantastic. However, the the servers spend the first forty five minutes of the movie walking up and down the rows, talking to people about what they are ordering and bringing food and drinks. And there are lights on every single menu holder that are brighter and more distracting that a cell phone screen and they stay on the entire movie. Then, during the climax of the movie, they go down every aisle and set the bills down. I seriously don’t get it - I’ve been multiple times and it’s consistently the most distracting environment I’ve watched a movie in.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

dantheman650 posted:

I hate Alamo Drafthouse. No talking and no phones is fantastic. However, the the servers spend the first forty five minutes of the movie walking up and down the rows, talking to people about what they are ordering and bringing food and drinks. And there are lights on every single menu holder that are brighter and more distracting that a cell phone screen and they stay on the entire movie. Then, during the climax of the movie, they go down every aisle and set the bills down. I seriously don’t get it - I’ve been multiple times and it’s consistently the most distracting environment I’ve watched a movie in.

at cinebowl and grill, you have to show up 30 minutes before the movie starts in order to be able to place an order, you give them your credit card with the order, and the food comes out within the first fifteen minutes of the movie and you already have your credit card and everything. the drafthouse works is pretty nuts imo.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
lol who the gently caress goes to a movie theater anymore instead of just waiting like 2 days for the pirated version to get uploaded to a torrent site and then you can just watch at home and pause to get up to take a piss or get a drink or whatever

lol paying $15 to listen to people munch on popcorn, smell other people's gross movie theater garbage food and risk getting shot

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

lol who the gently caress goes to a movie theater anymore instead of just waiting like 2 days for the pirated version to get uploaded to a torrent site and then you can just watch at home and pause to get up to take a piss or get a drink or whatever

lol paying $15 to listen to people munch on popcorn, smell other people's gross movie theater garbage food and risk getting shot

i can respect homeless people or children pirating movies/software, but if you're in your thirties and proud of piracy, that's trashy as gently caress.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Why be so protective about the Hollywood rape machine's profits? You can't dismantle capitalism in one day, comrade, but you can chip in a little.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Reserved seating owns because it means you don't have to arrive half an hour before previews to get a good seat.

Besides, any roadshow presentation in the golden age had reserved seating, so it's nothing new.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Pirating movies is good, it saves you time and money in this unforgiving world.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

If I don't have to show up early to theaters anymore how am I going to learn that sweet trivia before the previews.

Why yes, I do want to know how many movies Chris Pratt has been in. Thank you for making my experience better.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

i can respect homeless people or children pirating movies/software, but if you're in your thirties and proud of piracy, that's trashy as gently caress.

ah yes the noble act of giving giant corporations a bunch of money for an almost universally lovely 2-hour experience, how adult, how mature.

I'm glad I, an adult in my 30s, am able to freely and proudly waste my money without care, like the founders of this great nation intended. :hmmyes:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Mods change my name to Hollywood Rape Machine, tia

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I'm the guy who goes to movies alone.

Usually I'll take an edible before the movie so it'll kick in right after the intro. Being by yourself really immerses you into the film, no distractions.

This really only works with art house or small independent movies since the big hollywood movies usually have idiots who will talk the entire movie.

Had one couple in front of me chat through the entirety of 2001 A Space Odyssey which was a shame because that movie has a lot of quiet parts. I learned that the guy was there on a tinder date and he picked this movie to see because he's a photographer that had to do an Eyes Wide Shut themed shoot the next day and he thought it would be similar because Kubrick did both films. I bet he was surprised when he did that shoot.

Also one guy who looked like carrot top laughed really loud when Frank Poole fell silently through space for some reason.

So if you really want to see a movie, just watch it at home or a small theater. But if you want to see hosed up weird people, go to the theater

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich

ah yes the noble act of giving giant corporations a bunch of money for an almost universally lovely 2-hour experience, how adult, how mature.

I'm glad I, an adult in my 30s, am able to freely and proudly waste my money without care, like the founders of this great nation intended. :hmmyes:

if you are pirating it you obviously dont think its lovely. Stop being a trash person.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Pirating movies is good, it saves you time and money in this unforgiving world.
There’s literally no downside to it, either.

If you feel guilty about it, DM pics of your genitalia to your favorite celebrities on Twitter as some kind of payment, cut out those middlemen studios.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Citcon posted:

if you are pirating it you obviously dont think its lovely. Stop being a trash person.
How do you know if it's lovely if you don't pirate it first to see? Don't be ridiculous. Lots of lovely things have shiny wrapping paper.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

for the cost of a ticket, popcorn and drinks you can have a nice steak dinner in front of your TV, and drink and smoke and wear no pants as the mood dictates. and if you reach down between the cushions to find your phone and come up with a handful of sticky old cum at least you'll know it's yours

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
goon doesn't want to leave house and interact with other people, water wet, grass green etc etc

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I have no idea what Reserved Sitting is, cause all I do is watch tv on piracy sites

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dont watch movies at the theater op lol

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I Brake For MILFs posted:

If I don't have to show up early to theaters anymore how am I going to learn that sweet trivia before the previews.

Why yes, I do want to know how many movies Chris Pratt has been in. Thank you for making my experience better.

Pro tip: you can reserve the best seats in the house ahead of time, and still show up early for trivia.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
Alamo Drafthouse has the right idea with having dumb grindhouse clips and silly youtube videos instead of ads. I actually WANT to show up early to see the weird poo poo.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Why? You may ask.

After all, it's nice to be able to plan ahead and know you have decent seats waiting for you. In concept, this is a good idea. However, it doesn't always work like that.

In my area, every single theater has converted to 100% reserved seating with recliners. This has removed roughly 2/3 of the seats. 1/2 the rows are gone and each row has fewer seats. Because of this, any interesting film sells out well in advance on weekends. The last four or five times a film has come out that we wanted to see, we ended up skipping it because we couldn't find seats. And yes, we could plan a few days out but who really wants to do that for a movie? On a Saturday afternoon, it's nice to just show up at the theater, get a tub of popcorn and some soda and just watch a movie. But nope. Can't do that any more.

This is a totally broken system.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I guess I won't see the Spider Man film until it's on streaming.

Suck my dick, you fuckman.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Mr. Bones posted:

Alamo Drafthouse has the right idea with having dumb grindhouse clips and silly youtube videos instead of ads. I actually WANT to show up early to see the weird poo poo.

The preshows at the Drafthouse are still pretty good, but they were a lot cooler back when they basically threw copyright to the wind and were clearly showing clips and things that were definitely not licensed.

The Drafthouse used to do a lot of really fun but questionably-legal stuff, like showing popular TV shows the same day they aired (and without commercials). They kinda got around it by not actually selling tickets for the showing (since they made their money off the food and drinks), but eventually got enough cease & desists that they had to stop.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Remember the Alamo 2018

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Spider-Man movie was good op

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

IT BURNS posted:

Suck my dick, you fuckman.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Citcon posted:

I beg to differ, what if it's like a weird remake of an older movie you like but haven't determined if you like enough to watch a modern day reimagining of

like that one with tim curry as a clown that went from being a scary movie to being a post 2010 scary movie complete w/
jumpscares and cgi monsters doing twitchy cartwheels or w/e tf

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The are parts that suck about reserved seatings such as you can't swap seats if there are annoying people until you're sure nobody has the seat you're moving to. This was a big problem when MoviePass was a thing. People would reserve a seat and then just show up whenever.

The other is if you have any sizable group, you can't adjust your seats to sit together at the last moment. This one makes me mad. Try getting a group to go separately to a new movie. Nope, gotta order as a group now.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fried Watermelon posted:

I'm the guy who goes to movies alone.

Usually I'll take an edible before the movie so it'll kick in right after the intro. Being by yourself really immerses you into the film, no distractions.

This really only works with art house or small independent movies since the big hollywood movies usually have idiots who will talk the entire movie.

Had one couple in front of me chat through the entirety of 2001 A Space Odyssey which was a shame because that movie has a lot of quiet parts. I learned that the guy was there on a tinder date and he picked this movie to see because he's a photographer that had to do an Eyes Wide Shut themed shoot the next day and he thought it would be similar because Kubrick did both films. I bet he was surprised when he did that shoot.

Also one guy who looked like carrot top laughed really loud when Frank Poole fell silently through space for some reason.

So if you really want to see a movie, just watch it at home or a small theater. But if you want to see hosed up weird people, go to the theater

You sound like you talk a lot when high.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
are you deranged enough that you spend days fuming over slight perceived annoyances as a result of existing in a shared space with other humans yet too much of a coward to actually confront anyone then come on down to the alamo drafthouse where our army of distracting squeaky-voiced teens are perpetually shuffling around bussing tables all movie long and are more than happy to let you live out your cop fantasies while you sip your $5 beer

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

redm posted:

I beg to differ, what if it's like a weird remake of an older movie you like but haven't determined if you like enough to watch a modern day reimagining of

like that one with tim curry as a clown that went from being a scary movie to being a post 2010 scary movie complete w/
jumpscares and cgi monsters doing twitchy cartwheels or w/e tf

The IT miniseries isnt scary at all

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
The thing I hate about reserved seating is that the latecomers who used to just come in and sit in the corner now are walking around everywhere in the dark trying to read the seat numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Papa Emeritus III posted:

I'd like to see a newer film, though. Nothing has really triggered my interest into dropping money down for the whole experience when I can just wait for a bit to see it on TV, at home, in my own recliner.

If you missed Blade Runner 2049 in 3D, you hosed up.

Edit: That goes for everyone.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 2, 2019