Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think the order matters. You can wear whichever costume you want, and you can even choose which one shows up as your "main class" on the status menu.

Edit: Well, it matters in the sense that at lower levels you'll only have the skills from your earlier classes, obviously.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Clarste posted:

Edit: Well, it matters in the sense that at lower levels you'll only have the skills from your earlier classes, obviously.

this, also all skills aren't available as soon as you choose your new class. they are tiered based on your class level, so you won't even get access to your class's top tier skill(s) until class level 31 I believe. just something to keep in mind since it will affect your qol while leveling.

YES bread fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 22, 2019

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Cool, thanks again!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The developers are talking about the 2019 roadmap. It boggles my mind that the game client doesn't have some sort of predictive capability and has to be lockstepped with the server in the year of our lord 2019. I'm guessing thats why the game stutters every few steps in a high pop area.

They are also streamlinig the gear acquisition process, eliminating the need for alts to maximize gearing on a single character, adding guild and player housing with guild shops etc, adding a full scale raid, 4 new classes, 4th circle for RE:Build, more "sportslike" pvp

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Kobogartimer posted:

This game is kinda fun and the characters are so cute. I like the historically based classes that try to stay true to themes. It seems like such honest care went into those aspects it's a shame that the basic game part is lacking something. I still think it should be more popular.

So far I'm a necromancer > featherfoot and I want to maybe pick alchemist last to complete how suboptimal I am.
The guy who made the classes always manages to nail some aspect of his games really well. He did Ragnarok Online, he did Granado Espada, and he did this. He's literally a genius when it comes to designing non-cookie cutter classes and great combat interactions. Unfortunately, "the rest" of every game he has worked on never came together or was tanked by the publisher/studio.

Cryo, Linker, and Chronomancer were super satisfying when this game was new. I stopped playing pretty early, but I'd love an ARPG with mechanics like that.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Khorne posted:

Granado Espada,

That was so good before it became super pay-to-win. A team-based MMO with a ton of unlockable characters from multiple nationalities, multiple classes and stances for each of them, a huge exploration-era world to see and that soundtrack.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had never heard of Granado Espada, looking at the game on Steam, the 3 character mechanic sounds really unique and interesting. Reading the reviews though, this MMO sounds to be a true pay to win title, even going as far as to charge money for access to better zones with more experience points, and paying to unlock multiple level caps one character at a time. Cosmetics are also rent only with 30 day timers before they disappear.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

I said come in! posted:

I had never heard of Granado Espada, looking at the game on Steam, the 3 character mechanic sounds really unique and interesting. Reading the reviews though, this MMO sounds to be a true pay to win title, even going as far as to charge money for access to better zones with more experience points, and paying to unlock multiple level caps one character at a time. Cosmetics are also rent only with 30 day timers before they disappear.
I think its western name was Sword of the New World or something, but everyone just called it Granado Espada. It was going alright, and then it went full pay to win. It wasn't the guy who made it a cool game's choice. I think it had some major flaws outside of being p2w, but it was cool that it existed. It's well over 10 years old at this point so the ship sailed long ago.

ToS was forced into being released early and that's why they've done quite a few big overhauls of it. It wasn't the game they wanted to release.

RO parted ways with him quite early, but nearly all of the 'best' periods in RO history were largely due to his work.

I'm not a big fanboy of many people, or any people honestly, but it's really rare to see someone who develops MMORPGs almost exclusively and comes up with genuinely unique gameplay concepts that are actually good pretty much every single time. Every game he has been involved with has huge flaws or blind spots, but the parts he gets right are awesome and could be adapted to other games. It's really sad that people haven't "borrowed" from a lot of his great ideas because they aren't cookie cutter and design-by-committee enough. But modern game design seems to overlook gameplay a lot in general. It's almost an afterthought in many titles today.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 6, 2019

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yes, Gamersfirst (lol) renamed the first American/European English version Sword of the New World (the SEA version which was around for years earlier was also in English). Then when that version shut down, it relaunched as Granado Espada again. And now there are 2 or 3 separate English versions, just on Steam, with one hosted directly by IMC.

The original English voices (the Gamersfirst version had new voices) were above and beyond for the time, with them getting actors and actresses for every nationality in the game. The starter Elementalists were British, the Fighters were Eastern European, Italians, Spaniards, etc.

It really was a drat shame that the monetization was cranked so hard.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Did this game ever get controller support?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im pretty sure its always had controller support. I still used a remapper because I was running corsair for a long time and dual weapon assault is an extremely finnicky ability to use without getting carpal tunnel so I just programmed a macro to get around it

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
yeah I've been using a controller since release

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im pretty sure its always had controller support. I still used a remapper because I was running corsair for a long time and dual weapon assault is an extremely finnicky ability to use without getting carpal tunnel so I just programmed a macro to get around it

Maybe it was I didn't even try the controller 'cause I couldn't remap anything, it's been awhile since I played it

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Logged back in for the first time in a few months and along with the forced class/stat reset, which is okay, my characters appearance/outfit stuff was just plain gone. Which is pretty poo poo.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Groggy nard posted:

Logged back in for the first time in a few months and along with the forced class/stat reset, which is okay, my characters appearance/outfit stuff was just plain gone. Which is pretty poo poo.
Check the market retrieve tab.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game is still hopelessly broken after Re:Build so I would recommend going back to not playing. If you are going to play again, make sure to look up valid and tested builds as only a handful are viable now.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Game is still hopelessly broken after Re:Build so I would recommend going back to not playing. If you are going to play again, make sure to look up valid and tested builds as only a handful are viable now.
I liked rebuild, but the biggest problem is the endgame sucks real bad. It just has no redeeming qualities and you'll see all the content in the game after ~2 weeks of play. Then it's real boring and mundane raid stuff and then daily other stuff that you border being a slave to (events/cm/saalus/gemstone feud). CM and most content sucks because it's just spam a poo poo ton of aoe with no actual engaging gameplay. Same with the guild war map stuff.

I guess I don't really like "pres button hit whole screen" over and over combined with "just stand in one place" as gameplay design. I liked raids in WoW at some point, and I enjoyed chill pve in RO (one of my favorite games of all time, right up there with diablo 2 and diablo 3 and path of exile). But raids/group content in ToS is a shell of what actual content should be like. I definitely don't like the gear progression right now. Thankfully people sell gear for notably less than it costs to make so getting geared enough to do relevant damage and not die instantly in pvp isn't that hard.

Gemstone Feud is the only time I was having fun, but it's only at one time despite just being a WoW battleground type of thing. That made it feel like you have to be there most days, and it happens to be at a time where I'd rather be doing other things. Also, the netcode is pure trash and pvp is nowhere near as good as RO or WoW.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 15, 2019

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Khorne posted:

I liked rebuild, but the biggest problem is the endgame sucks real bad.

The leveling sucks, the end-game sucks, the PVP sucks. Just admit it, the entire game is poo poo.
It didn't do a single thing right apart from maybe copying RO's aesthetic and adding some more depth to class design.
I don't want to poo poo on the game either as I was once hopeful but honestly people playing this are fooling them selves. It's a loving buggy mess that has no redeeming value.

I genuinely think people could make better private servers with the source code than what is currently live.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

hobocrunch posted:

The leveling sucks, the end-game sucks, the PVP sucks. Just admit it, the entire game is poo poo.
Play some gemstone feud if the time works for you. It's pretty fun.

Leveling in rebuild is pretty enjoyable and goes by quick. Leveling at release was awful. You sat around waiting for stuff to spawn because so many people were on the maps.

Finishing up various maps is pretty decent.

Some of the abilities and interactions, including in pvp, are pretty good.

It's much better than it was at release, and they continue to put an honest effort into making it better. It's just lacking once you hit endgame, and they rush you into endgame now.

In its current state it's worth checking out and playing until you've seen the content.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 15, 2019

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Started playing this game! And immediately fell in love with the Monk class, subpar dps be damned. It’s just too cool. What should my next advancement class be to supplement punching and kamehamehaing?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Apparently they are getting buffed soon and your best bet is to go auto attack spam, so chaplain for your second class

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Will doing the Nak Muay unlock quest with one character unlock it for all characters?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

No, those are all class specific.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

So I can’t do the quest on my Monk so it’s available for my Barbarian?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pretty sure it needs to be on the character you want to unlock the class in. I dont even know if you could even do the quest in the wrong base class in the first place

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FAT BATMAN posted:

So I can’t do the quest on my Monk so it’s available for my Barbarian?

No. You have to do it on the character you want to unlock the class for.

You can't even do it on your Monk since that's a cleric class and Nak Muay is for swordsman.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
Hey, going to pick this game back up for a while. ANy goons still playing? Any pubbie guilds worth joining?

Arawn
Jul 5, 2020
Jesus christ how old is this? Some friends are talking me into playing this again and it seems the new/returning players rewards are really good to catch up. Who else is wasting his time with this game?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Arawn posted:

Jesus christ how old is this? Some friends are talking me into playing this again and it seems the new/returning players rewards are really good to catch up. Who else is wasting his time with this game?

I was very confused when I saw there was a post in this thread. I forgot I had bookmarked it…

Anyway, I had no idea about the new player thing. Maybe I'll look into it. Thanks!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah you can make a new character that starts out in the level 400+ range now?

Arawn
Jul 5, 2020
Yes. Straight to 480 and full end game gear.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is it optional, or does it just happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Its optional! But like, Tree of Savior is such a horribly unbalanced and poorly supported game with a massive list of technical issues that the devs don't care to fix, that I just don't see this title ever worth playing anymore. It actually use to be more stable back in the day, but as time goes on it gets more and more horrible to play.