Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gentle Autist posted:

iOS is the least bad but reading this thread made me realise just how poo poo the home screen/icon ux is

I haven’t used it for years, I just swipe down and search for apps every time. that’s because it’s poo poo

although, I do this on my desktop with Alfred too. is Apple poo poo, or is clicking poo poo poo poo??? :thunk:

as someone who uses the poo poo out of spotlight, why would I use Alfred? I remember people talking about it many years ago, but then went to the site and didn’t see much compelling but maybe I missed it idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Hed posted:

as someone who uses the poo poo out of spotlight, why would I use Alfred? I remember people talking about it many years ago, but then went to the site and didn’t see much compelling but maybe I missed it idk

launch bar is kind of neat because it’s like spotlight when you’re looking for a noun and then you can keep using the keyboard to either find a sub-noun (I.e. a phone number or email address on a contact) or use the keyboard to pick a non-default verb

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Hed posted:

its faster. you can also have all sorts of whacko custom shortcuts built into it, I have custom web searches for internal tools at work, plus I built some workflows to do things like generate passwords or convert currencies

it also has text expansion and clipboard history poo poo built in. it has native support for syncing your config across machines

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

this is the thread for bad phone software

actual content: big feels today with regards to missing the android notification system. ios is still such flintstones here. why yes, let's spell out the name of my carrier on the top bar instead of just putting the drat icons there. steve is dead, you don't have to keep kowtowing to his silly turbonerd fantasies regarding UI

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the android notification system is cluttered and bad lol. just stuff everything up top, nbd

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

theyre all bad, win10 ios/macos, android, they all suck

the only good notification system was the webos tablet one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0D8Mkx8S0M

everyone is getting close but theyre all still bad and dumb

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

*pauses video with email inbox* also im bob dangle meeting

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

wait there's people who think webos was good?

O_O

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

O_O

yes it loving was you goddamn piece of poo poo

gently caress

just

gently caress!!!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I had a palm pre and I have some very bad news for you....

your os is SUBPAR

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

I had a palm pre and I have some very bad news for you....

your os is SUBPAR

motherfucker i had a goddamn palm PIXI and webos was great

(in hindsight the pixi was kind of poo poo :rip: palm u were 2 good for this world)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy poo poo I used to use a palm centro

centro to pre to iphone 4s

smartphones were weird circa 2007

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

smartphones were weird circa 2007

they were dogshit until the iphone turned it around

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

O_O
still is. got me an lg tv, snappy as heck. it’s even just the middling tier IPS ones, not like a top of the line oled. every other smart tv has been dogshit slow in my experience. it’s the only tv in the house that doesn’t have a streaming device or game console to handle the smart poo poo because it’s actually good enough.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

OldAlias posted:

the android notification system is cluttered and bad lol. just stuff everything up top, nbd

in my experience this is only true if you install a bunch of garbage apps and keep all of their garbage notifications turned on. in that scenario it's definitely worse than ios

if you tune all your apps so they aren't spamming you constantly i find that the ios notifications settings/UI just aren't as useful and some of the finer-grained android features straight up don't exist. on the other hand if i went back to android now i bet i would find some android notification quirk i had never noticed before and i would be still be mad. mad about notifications

i am a little disappointed i never got to experience webos for a telephone. rip

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

wait webos is still around???

today has been a whirlwind of revelation!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

man rotor is gonna be mad at these last few posts

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

lmao if you dont have a palm pre in a drawer somewhere

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

power botton posted:

lmao if you dont have a palm pre in a drawer somewhere

it’s good to not hoard garbage

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
and yet your account remains

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
booyaka from downtown

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

phones are bad

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

infernal machines posted:

and yet your account remains

Whammo

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

theyre all bad, win10 ios/macos, android, they all suck

the only good notification system was the webos tablet one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0D8Mkx8S0M

everyone is getting close but theyre all still bad and dumb

webos made android look good when it comes to dropped frames

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

akadajet posted:

webos made android look good when it comes to dropped frames

nah at the time android still had a trackball, no gpu, and only one core to run like poo poo on

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Cocoa Crispies posted:

run like poo poo

at least you can say that android has been consistent

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

nah at the time android still had a trackball, no gpu, and only one core to run like poo poo on

tbh the only phones i ever had with decent UI smoothness were non-smartphones :v:

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i will probably try the other phone os next. thanks for reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

i will probably try the other phone os next. thanks for reading

brutally hosed up