Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The failure list is as follows:

Namtab (already punished)
Bees (already punished)
Lorv (already punished)
Disdisdis
Lunar detritus
Sefai
Yes cantaloupe (has requested a temporary stay of execution to do idol stuff)
El dorito (has requested a temporary stay of execution because of secret santas)
Foxhound

Ibblebibble dropped two things with no replacement due to personal reasons, the mod shall decide on their fate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I am ready.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Namtab posted:

The failure list is as follows:

Namtab (already punished)
Bees (already punished)
Lorv (already punished)
Disdisdis
Lunar detritus
Sefai
Yes cantaloupe (has requested a temporary stay of execution to do idol stuff)
El dorito (has requested a temporary stay of execution because of secret santas)
Foxhound

Ibblebibble dropped two things with no replacement due to personal reasons, the mod shall decide on their fate

I am PM'ing Jules about the secret santa stuff but it is worth splitting the punishment into two parts so that it's clear that I'm not trying to weasel out of it.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

Toxx done. I'll do writeups tomorrow or something.

Yeah I'm necroing this thread to do the post I promised 3 weeks late. I didn't save any notes when watching stuff, so everything is gonna have to stand up to the test of my memory.

Michiko e Hatchin | 22 eps | Knorth | Started: [2019-01-12] | Finished: [2019-01-21]

This struck a similar feel to Samurai Champloo for obvious reasons, but Samurai Champloo had this persistent background bleakness to it that I couldn't deal with and I dropped it after 9 episodes. Though the opening eps in Michiko and Hatchin were really hard to sit through, I found the show ultimately more uplifting and enjoyable. Sometimes good people don't end up dying. :unsmith:

Seirei no Moribito | 26 eps | Lemon-Lime | Started: [2019-01-22] | Finished: [2019-01-31]

I found it neat how almost every major conflict in this show is settled through talking to each other. Every deescalation in story came to me as more or less a surprise, but it's nice to see needless bloodshed get stopped before it happens, which feels pretty rare in narratives in general. Also, the ED song is definitely one of my favorite anisongs ever.

Tsuritama | 12 eps | Davincie | Started: [2019-02-12] | Finished: [2019-02-28]

I thought alien boy in this was a bit too manic pixie-ish, but it's a fine show. Don't really have much to say on it.

Ring ni Kakero | 12 eps | GorfZaplen | Started: [2019-03-07] | Finished: [2019-03-24]

The first season of this was a lot of fun in the ridiculous superpower sports shounen way. The second season turned the stakes way up though and was absolutely phenomenal. The antagonist doesn't even bother with the excuse of sportsmanship; he assembles a team that includes an eight foot tall death row inmate and a hired assassin for the purpose of killing the other team in the boxing ring. It's the cheese I live for.

Gundam Reconguista in G | 26 eps | everythingwasbees | Started: [2019-04-02] | Finished: [2019-04-30]

I don't know if I'm really cut out for understanding Gundam, but only seeing War in the Pocket prior to this probably didn't help. I was mostly just confused and over my head in jargon, but I did really like Klim.

Kekkaishi | 52 eps | Dogsicle | Started: [2019-05-01] | Finished: [2019-05-28]

My most vivid memory of this is how they were setting up this huge character development arc for Gen, and right at the very climax, he dies. I'm still pissed about it.

R.O.D. OVA | | 3 eps | Nipponophile | Started: [2019-05-30] | Finished: [2019-05-30]

I tried reading a bit of the manga as a kid, but nothing stuck. The anime was fun enough though.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans | 25 eps | chiasaur11 | Started: [2019-08-20] | Finished: [2019-09-10]

This feels a bit thematically similar to Moribito where you've got sympathetic characters across different allegiances all doing the best they can but with incomplete information. Unlike Moribito though, they all dive headfirst into the tragic consequences. They're the kind of tragedies I enjoy, though honestly the boys being pretty as hell was doing 70% the lifting. I watched two eps of season 2 and decided I couldn't avoid my toxx any longer, but I do want to finish it eventually.

Princess Tutu | 26 eps | Erg | Started: [2019-09-26] | Finished: [2019-10-11]

It's a fun story, but I'm a big enough nerd about classical music that the standout moments for me were when they played the pieces I liked in the background, like Ravel's Pavane for a Dead Princess. It's too bad there doesn't seem to be a complete source on everything that's played in the show though.

Fist of the North Star | 109 eps | Smoking Crow | Started: [2019-10-11] | Finished: [2019-12-29]

The fights in this didn't really interest me, and some of the arcs with the random mooks dragged in places. I'm still bitter the Fang Clan got like seven eps even though it never seemed like they posed a credible to threat to Kenshiro if he was within earshot; their gimmick sucks. Making the villains sympathetic right as they die is such a shounen cliche but they're executed well here and probably the most compelling aspect of the show. I got attached to Shin towards the end of his arc, and I still liked him best 80 eps later.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Gundam Reconguista in G | 26 eps | everythingwasbees | Started: [2019-04-02] | Finished: [2019-04-30]

I don't know if I'm really cut out for understanding Gundam, but only seeing War in the Pocket prior to this probably didn't help. I was mostly just confused and over my head in jargon, but I did really like Klim.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans | 25 eps | chiasaur11 | Started: [2019-08-20] | Finished: [2019-09-10]

This feels a bit thematically similar to Moribito where you've got sympathetic characters across different allegiances all doing the best they can but with incomplete information. Unlike Moribito though, they all dive headfirst into the tragic consequences. They're the kind of tragedies I enjoy, though honestly the boys being pretty as hell was doing 70% the lifting. I watched two eps of season 2 and decided I couldn't avoid my toxx any longer, but I do want to finish it eventually.

Don't worry too much about being confused by G-Reco. Pretty much everyone was, including the long time Gundam fans. The main debate is less about if it can be confusing and more if it being confusing served a useful purpose in conveying the show's themes.

As for IBO, well... yeah. There's a lot of consequences. Glad you liked it.

You ain't seen nothing yet.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Strange Quark posted:

Princess Tutu | 26 eps | Erg | Started: [2019-09-26] | Finished: [2019-10-11]

It's a fun story, but I'm a big enough nerd about classical music that the standout moments for me were when they played the pieces I liked in the background, like Ravel's Pavane for a Dead Princess. It's too bad there doesn't seem to be a complete source on everything that's played in the show though.

You're looking for Princess Tutu Konzert, a 3-CD set performed by the Sofia Symphonic Orchestra. Most of the track names are in Japanese, though, so it can take some guesswork to find the tracks you're looking for.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Paracelsus posted:

You're looking for Princess Tutu Konzert, a 3-CD set performed by the Sofia Symphonic Orchestra. Most of the track names are in Japanese, though, so it can take some guesswork to find the tracks you're looking for.

Oh cool, thanks for the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ok, I'm ready

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)