Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i watched Tetsujin 28-gou (2004), the number 1 anime with a cast that consists at least 60% of war criminals. the main character is shotaro, the origin of the term shotacon, who is a bougie lil wimp who has a special car that he can drive. more importantly, he also has a father that developed tetsujin, the giant robot. together with tetsujin he gets into various adventures, and despite its 'kiddy' artstyle (i like it) people tend to die horribly in them!

the part that i loved the most about this show, are the op and the ed. those are wonderful. hold my hand tetsujin!

https://files.catbox.moe/mf6mhg.webm

other than that, there's some great characters in it like miss secretary, whose name i forgot and is not listed on myanimelist for mysterious reasons. i rather enjoyed seeing what crazy professors every episode would come up with as well, and seeing the various exploits of the black kkk.

there were also parts i liked less. the show has a real penchant for constantly recapping things that have happened and also often over explains stuff which gets a little bit tiring. in some ways the plot was a bit childish as well, but mostly i liked it. some of the episodes in the middle were also rather silly with how much they are disconnected from the rest of the show and there's a fair amount of animation errors. the show also gets a bit dodgy politically with all the war criming, but i don't care about that

gave it a 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Davincie posted:

i watched Tetsujin 28-gou (2004), the number 1 anime with a cast that consists at least 60% of war criminals.

Gundam would like to officially declare those "rookie numbers".

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I've kept on chooglin' sorta

1. Witchblade (Eela)
2. Blast of Tempest (Erg)
3. Silver Spoon (Dogsicle)
4. My Bride is a Mermaid (Davincie)
5. Casshern Sins (Gorf)
6. Mononoke (Endorph)
7. New Game! (Colonel)
8. Denno Coil (Sinky)
9. Mahoujin Guruguru (Anohito)
10. Gundam Reconquista in G (Bees)

Silver Spoon: I watched the first season of this, it was alright. I started to get pretty into it towards the end and will probably watch the second season at some point. Really shouldn't have named that pig. Horse girl should have been crazier. etc.

I'm halfway through Denno Coil and I'm sorta mixed on it. Some of the episodes are really good and some are sorta meh to me and I have trouble paying attention. I'll stick with it though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Time to challenge myself. In order of personal importance:

1) Finish off Ninja Slayer and watch Inou Battle to say that I have watched all the Trigger shows. Maybe also watch the LWA movies.

2) Clear my on-hold list except for JoJos because that's way too loving long. This means Railgun S2, AssClass, Fujiko Mine and the aforementioned Ninja Slayer.

3) Watch the three dramas that have been suggested to me for a long time: March Lion, Rakugo and NagiAsu.

That's all for me.

AssClass finished. Took me ages, but I really liked the ride. Also nice to have a definitive end to a series for once. I also took the time to watch Turning Girls for my Trigger spree. Next, probably finish off Ninja Slayer, then work on Rakugo.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

watched afro samurai, as recced by erg

found it kinda dull tbh. the story was very simple and hard to care about and a lot of the voice acting was so wooden it makes me wonder how anyone can stand dubs. samuel jackson put in good effort of course, even if ninja ninja was pretty annoying, but there was some awful acting from the rest of the cast

afro also spends most of the series fighting various monsters, which feels like a bit of a waste. can't really do the gorey samurai tribute if you are fighting a robot. its also a bit uglier than i expected. gonzo doesn't really have the best reputation, but i'd expect better from an ova

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

littleorv posted:

I've kept on chooglin' sorta

1. Witchblade (Eela)
2. Blast of Tempest (Erg)
3. Silver Spoon (Dogsicle)
4. My Bride is a Mermaid (Davincie)
5. Casshern Sins (Gorf)
6. Mononoke (Endorph)
7. New Game! (Colonel)
8. Denno Coil (Sinky)
9. Mahoujin Guruguru (Anohito)
10. Gundam Reconquista in G (Bees)

Silver Spoon: I watched the first season of this, it was alright. I started to get pretty into it towards the end and will probably watch the second season at some point. Really shouldn't have named that pig. Horse girl should have been crazier. etc.

I'm halfway through Denno Coil and I'm sorta mixed on it. Some of the episodes are really good and some are sorta meh to me and I have trouble paying attention. I'll stick with it though.

I was thinking who tf is this weirdass av that I gave a toxx too. Love and behold it's little orv

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I was thinking who tf is this weirdass av that I gave a toxx too. Love and behold it's little orv

:crossange:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Time to challenge myself. In order of personal importance:

1) Finish off Ninja Slayer and watch Inou Battle to say that I have watched all the Trigger shows. Maybe also watch the LWA movies.

2) Clear my on-hold list except for JoJos because that's way too loving long. This means Railgun S2, AssClass, Fujiko Mine and the aforementioned Ninja Slayer.

3) Watch the three dramas that have been suggested to me for a long time: March Lion, Rakugo and NagiAsu.

That's all for me.

Ninja Slayer finished, and what a loving wild ride that second half was. That was an incredibly stupid-in-a-good-way finale.

Time to work on Rakugo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ibblebibble posted:

Ninja Slayer finished, and what a loving wild ride that second half was. That was an incredibly stupid-in-a-good-way finale.

Time to work on Rakugo.
Kakugo for Rakugo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wark's Toxx, Part 04, or the Sequel to the Chaika funtimes prequel:

Free! Iwatobi Swim Club / Free! Eternal Summer / Free! Dive to the Future

Immediate thoughts after realizing I chose to watch this after Chaika: "Ugh. I shoulda listened to Bees! Well, let's check out the sexy af boys swimming show and see what I can vaguely remember from like 6 years ago, then".

Immediate thoughts after getting to know these beautiful chucklefucks a bit better: "gently caress. No, don't get invested. Don't get invested. Don't--!"

God.

Dammit.

KyoAni! :cry:

I vaguely remembered before watching the show that there was some drama/friction, but what I wasn't prepared for was that the show proceeded to kick me in the feelings' groin repeatedly and without warning. I actually felt like dropping the show because, summed to a real life stuff that happened to me during the time I started watching it, it made the show really painful to watch at points.

Ultimately, I liked the show, even if season 2 and season 3 pulled the same tricks on me/some of the same beats and I fell for it hook, line and sinker. I sure coulda used more of these three beautiful siblings, because goddamn, look at them: how could you not love these three beautiful, boisterous muscle-heads?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And to update this:

• Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood- 0/64
  • Chivalry of a Failed Knight - 12/12 DONE!
  • Hozuki's Coolheadedness - 39/39 DONE!
  • Kamisama Kiss - 0/25
  • From the New World - 0/25
  • Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - 0/25
  • Coffin Princess Chaika - 22/22 DONE!
  • Blood Blockade Battlefront - 0/24
  • Free: Iwatobi Swim Club - 37/37 DONE!

163 episodes left. Maybe this time I'll actually listen to Bees' advice and watch BBB next?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

BBB is very good.

So is Rakugo.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab posted:

So the VN resolution went badly because I kinda bounce off Visual Novels nowadays.

For 2019 therefore I'm going back to my original resolutions that keep my anime levels up, but with some minor tweaks.

I will be watching 35 anims in 2019. Of these 35
- At least 20 have to air in 2019
- No more than 5 can be rewatches
- No more than 5 can be shorts
- Only one season of a show counts towards completion (e.g. if I watch the entire monogatari franchise, it counts as 1 entry)
- I may not make any complaints on discords, the forum or any other medium about this toxx. If I do then I automatically fail.

I will also finish Fate/Stay Night because its been years, I can at least finish 1 VN right???

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Heres where im at

This year i have watched: Kara no kyoukai, K-on!!, Castle town dandelion, Isekai Quartet, Hitoribocchi, Kaguya-sama, Spec ops asuka. (Thats 7, of which 4 have aired this year, 1 is a short)

I havent touched fate stay night, of which i have 80% of UBW and all of HF to do.

A little slower than i planned, i need to identify some shows to finish in july, because ideally i should have finished about 10 more things now

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Real Drive, an anime by Masamune Shirow of GiTS, Black Magic M-66 and Appleseed fame. You know who he is. The strength of this show is just in showing the characters live their lives in a fairly believable future world where everyone is connected to the internet all the time, with the majority of the population being connected through a VR space. It also has a tropical island setting which is unique for cyberpunk. My favorite episodes were the one where people sell their dreams to a company for processing power but it turns them into creepy digital ghosts, the one where our protagonist tries to find the ending of a book for a book report for a book that wasn't digitized, and one that explores the ethics of how to treat people with a disability in a future where you can conceivably fix any disability. well those are the standouts but all the middle episodes where it just explores life in the future are good. This is the majority of the show. Te episodes where it tries to have a plot about nanomachines and the "biorhythm of the earth" I just couldn't pay attention to because it was a conflict not rooted in any send of reality.

The show looks consistently amazing. It's a very pretty show with nice backgrounds, character designs and animation. I also like that the characters have realistic body types, so there are chubby girls and burly but not buff men and stuff like that. One of the main characters is a disabled elderly man although the plot fixes this which was disappointing.

It would be hard for me to suggest this show because honestly the first arc and the last arc are really boring. If you want a well executed and original cyberpunk show go for it I suppose. BUt I came away feeling rather meh about the whole thing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i recommend it

but i don't recommend finishing a slow before someone and then procrastinating a write-up about it so long that they end up finishing it and their write-up first

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ALl I've got left is at least a season of these shows:

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Sound! Euphonium
Land of the Lustrous

I'm kind of burning out on anime and honestly have no real interest in Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. So we'll see if I get to it anytime soon. I actually want to watch Sound! Euphonium and Land of the Lustrous so those will probably go smoother. But for now I want to finish up my non-toxx shows of Bryger and Hakugei.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
szs is fun but it's pretty repetitive and the only episode from the later seasons i really remember is the one where they play around with a bunch of different animation styles

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'd really only recommend the first season of SZS

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We mostly don't want you to be left in despair.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I feel like Kumeta Kouji usually gets a really good premise, but then runs it into the ground a bit. I remember having similar issues with Katte ni Kaizou, and I'm sure Joshiraku eventually drags on too.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Once all the characters are introduced the manga hits a holding pattern of an issue being raised and someone taking it to an extreme which repeats for about 200 chapters then the last 10 build an ending

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, still got End of Evangelion to watch, but as of today, I have seen Neon Genesis Evangelion, and thus have technically finished my duties for this thread.

After decades, there probably isn't much for me to say that hasn't been said, but one thing that interested me in the last act is how intrusive the negative elements were, for lack of a better phrase. (And yeah, I know the meta reasoning, but I'm setting that aside for a moment.)

From the beginning, Eva had dark elements and the implication, even the promise, of things going wrong. Gendo falls between Tem Ray and Franklin Biden on the father of the year scale, evil conspiracies were behind everything, you get the drift. But the last few episodes portray the angels as less the physical enemies they started as, and more violations. Not just of the characters, although that's obvious enough, but of the narrative. The rules of the stories and the visuals are casually tossed aside as all of the cast's weaknesses go from notable to crippling. Asuka is ripped open, Rei dies, and Shinji opens up to someone faster than ever before just before having to kill the guy with his bare hands. The previews turn from the usual vague suggestions to outright explanations over rough storyboards before abandoning connection to the actual episodes in favor of showing earlier abandoned plans. And then you get the Instrumentality.

I mean, this isn't something entirely new to me. I've seen Lain. But (again, for reasons that are obvious with the context) this feels like an especially direct case. The center cannot hold.

Interesting show. I can see why it took so long for Anno to feel up to going back to it.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Watched about 30 episodes of Gundam turn A. Getting pretty into it. Tis good

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

OK!!! I'm pretty satisfied with how my anime life is going, so I'm just gonna keep on truckin'. :toxx:

Last year, I scanlated a douj for all of my favorite Love Lives' birthdays. This year, I'm going to do a douj for all of my favorite non-LL idols' birthdays (and also Saint Snow, who are Love Lives but aren't the main groups):

* = if I can find a good douj in time, which I will strive to my utmost to do
** = I allow myself to skip Sarah's, if I have at least two of the *s

Also I'm gonna do a few for Nico'd bday and have already done a few for Dia's, but that's not a toxx, that's just established fact.

In addition, I'm going to play more video games. I'm going to beat Breath of the Wild, and at least one Atelier game.

I'm keeping pace douj-wise (no Sarah, sadly, but otherwise I'm on schedule + doing a few other releases), and I'm maybe halfway (?) through Atelier Escha & Logy. Hopefully I can fit in BotW before school starts up again...

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I'll add a non-scanlation resolution: I will watch Vifam.

This, I still need to start. It'll happen.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My schedule is not holding up the way it used to last year (full-time employment yay), so I'm unfortunately going to have to drop March Comes in Like A Lion and NagiAsu from my toxx. I definitely don't have time for 6 cours worth of anime for the rest of the year considering my current pace. I'll definitely finish Rakugo and might as well polish off Inou Battle, at least.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Houseki no Kuni. Really pretty anime, funny too. Some of the best visuals I've seen this year. Pacing is whack though and it just sort of ends. My favorite part was the Antarc stuff. I'll probably have more to say about it after giving it a think.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Unfortunately the anime only scratched the surface. The story really starts to get wild where it left off.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

I'm just picking the first thing that people suggest to me that I haven't seen, and hell, I'm taking all the 50 ep shows because I ain't no coward.

Update: I've seen 20 eps of Turn A Gundam and am still not really feeling it, so I guess I'm a coward and swapping it out for IBO.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
im not 1ccing ketsui this year its been good fellas

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Update: I've seen 20 eps of Turn A Gundam and am still not really feeling it, so I guess I'm a coward and swapping it out for IBO.

I'm interested in seeing what you think there. IBO and Turn A are pretty far apart despite both being Gundam shows.

I think they're both very good at what they tried to do, with Turn A being more meditative and pastoral, while IBO's more about emotionally damaged mercenary child soldiers. (Admittedly, the range of hosed up is pretty wide, from Takaki's "I'm paying my sister's way through school!" to Mikazuki's... being Mikazuki.), but what they try to do is different enough that the same people won't necessarily like both.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Droyer posted:

Next year I'll finish watching all the Brave shows, and the GGG sequel novel as far as it's translated.

Toxx complete! 400 and change episodes of anime and one novel in about 16 months woo! Proof in the general mecha thread if anyone needs it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bees has asked if they can change their toxx to watching an equivalent amount of gundam instead of monogatari.

I have no authority over the toxxes, and heck i cannot enforce them, so naturally i have approved this change.

Good lucj in the final third of the year

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Namtab posted:

Bees has asked if they can change their toxx to watching an equivalent amount of gundam instead of monogatari.

I have no authority over the toxxes, and heck i cannot enforce them, so naturally i have approved this change.

Good lucj in the final third of the year
Approved. Monogatari can be a pain in the posterior if you're not in a certain mood to watch it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Remember that the mindless consumption of japanese media is the only thing between you and possibly being destroyed by moderation, and we all regret our hasty bets that seemed so achievable back in january, oh god im going to have to buy lowtax another vertebrae, oh man.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mine has been surprisingly easy, though it has come at the expense of watching currently airing stuff...

Also, due to a loophole in my toxx, I can just knock out a cour of a short anime in like an hour and be good for the week.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AnoHito posted:

Mine has been surprisingly easy, though it has come at the expense of watching currently airing stuff...

Also, due to a loophole in my toxx, I can just knock out a cour of a short anime in like an hour and be good for the week.

Technically true, although very much the cowards option

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still haven't watched YOI but that tiny scrap of movie news has kinda got me in the mood for it. I want to finish the last 6 eps of Run with the Wind before I start it though.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
toxx progress:

・doujs: I sadly wasn't able to find a good Sarah douj, but the terms of my toxx allowed me to skip it, if I found good doujs of at least two of the other three harder-to-find-good-doujs-of idols, oh whom only Umimi escaped me. So: on-track, with only two in december still to go, which I don't anticipate issues with, and I've been doing plenty of other releases besides.
・video games: I'm most of the way (I think) through Atelier Escha & Logy, but I haven't gotten back to BotW. Behind on this for sure...
・anime: Vifam! I'm about a third of the way through it, making good progress, and enjoying it a lot.

So: should be fine, but there might have to be a lot of zelda-playing during winter break.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i finished the second to last anime on my toxx list, mawaru penguindrum. i was looking forward to watching it, but ended up not really enjoying it. don't really have much of interest to say, gave it a 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Solid comedy, the jokes tended to drag on a bit though. Good looking show. I can see how it'd be easy to watch a bunch of episodes of this but I don't know if I have it in me to watch the rest just yet.