Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I know it's after the football game, my schedule says 6pm PST but don't know if they might cut to it earlier now that the football game is over.

I'll have to watch it streaming when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i can watch s1 of tng and make fart jokes by myself thank you very much

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Yeah, for the West Coast it looks like it starts at 6pm. I'm excited!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Orville is a good show and one of the best punchlines of 2018 was that of the two people who made Cosmos 2014 it was Neil DeGrasse Tyson who was the disgusting rapist and Seth MacFarlane who wound up running a better Star Trek show than the actual current Star Trek show rather than the other way around.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

drjuggalo posted:

i can watch s1 of tng and make fart jokes by myself thank you very much

They toned down the stupid humor a lot as the season went on.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Guy Mann posted:

The Orville is a good show and one of the best punchlines of 2018 was that of the two people who made Cosmos 2014 it was Neil DeGrasse Tyson who was the disgusting rapist and Seth MacFarlane who wound up running a better Star Trek show than the actual current Star Trek show rather than the other way around.

I mean there's no way NDT would make a good star trek show anyway

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
TNG took multiple seasons to not become total dogshit, if you're a fan of a show whose slow ascent to greatness is so well-known that Riker growing his beard has become TV shorthand as inverse for The Fonz jumping the shark then The Orville taking like three episodes to get good should be a total non-issue.

Also the cast of The Orville being regular people you'd actually want to hang out with and have a beer makes its optimistic utopian vision of the future way better than Star Trek being a world where everyone sits around with a stick up their rear end listening to opera and watching Shakespeare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm01FIfX6Sc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTZvxY9HnXo

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
that was a good one OP, ya know pretending people watch Orville and all.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Homo Simpson posted:

that was a good one OP, ya know pretending people watch Orville and all.

Nice avatar

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy

Charles posted:

Nice avatar

I liked my old one better.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I saw a preview of the while watching a game today. They also previewed Fox’s The Masked Singer or some poo poo. They seem to have a strong line up.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The episode of The Orville with the planet whose justice system is built around social media where they save their crew member from being executed by flooding the internet with doctored photos of him as a soldier coming home to his dog to sway the public to support him is a better Black Mirror episode than any actual episode of Black Mirror.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

:hellyeah:

I just rewatched season 1; show is good!

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Guy Mann posted:

The episode of The Orville with the planet whose justice system is built around social media where they save their crew member from being executed by flooding the internet with doctored photos of him as a soldier coming home to his dog to sway the public to support him is a better Black Mirror episode than any actual episode of Black Mirror.

There's an actual Black Mirror episode which is the exact same concept as that Orville episode and I think the Black Mirror episode came first. But, yeah, Black Mirror is overrated.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It really sucks that the second episode of the show is a super predictable/pedestrian "advanced aliens kidnap some of the crew and put them in a zoo" episode, because most of the rest of the show has good plots and when they are something that Star Trek has done before it usually at least has some sort of fun wrinkle to it. Like the holodeck episode rules because it manages to have actual stakes and be character driven without going to the well of it malfunctioning like TNG did a zillion times, and the one about them breaking the prime directive and the natives thinking one of the crew members is a god was surprisingly sweet in how it handles religion being a lie without sinking into preachy obnoxious atheism or condescending moral relativism.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
orville bad

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hogge Wild posted:

orville bad

the orville is you're posts? :smug:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hogge Wild posted:

orville bad

no u

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can someone post a good clip of this show so we can stand in judgement? I don’t watch it, so can’t say what’s good until I see it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

the orville is you're posts? :smug:

:monocle:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Burt Sexual posted:

Can someone post a good clip of this show so we can stand in judgement? I don’t watch it, so can’t say what’s good until I see it.

followed by the next scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G39W5lFZDn0

It's really obvious that Seth MacFarlane is a gigantic Star Trek nerd with a lot of respect for the franchise. Also of note is that you'll hear people say "I can't stand Seth MacFarlane in anything else but I really like the Orville" a lot.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also Norm McDonald plays a big green blob that talks and wants to bang the ship's doctor

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's really obvious that Seth MacFarlane is a gigantic Star Trek nerd with a lot of respect for the franchise. Also of note is that you'll hear people say "I can't stand Seth MacFarlane in anything else but I really like the Orville" a lot.

no

he bad

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Jfc that’s terrible and not funny. I spent 2 minutes on that, I’d like 200$ in click pay.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Burt Sexual posted:

Jfc that’s terrible and not funny. I spent 2 minutes on that, I’d like 200$ in click pay.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Burt Sexual posted:

Jfc that’s terrible and not funny.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I love how he lapses into Steve from American Dad whenever he loses it like that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

still better than burt sexual

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
i do0nt care much for seth macfarlane or star trek but i found the orville reasonably entertaining.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Burt Sexual posted:

It's good in context. This clip is a little better though

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I wonder how many people never gave The Orville a chance because they don't know anything about the actual history of flight so they see a show about a spaceship called The Orville and think its referencing a guy who sold popcorn and not the guy who made the first heavier-than-air powered flight in human history.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The show is good. I will watch it as soon as I get back home. And hopefully enjoy another good season.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

ahahaha

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Burt Sexual posted:

Clips are only funny if you have actually watched it all in context. If you want to check out the show, I'd watch the first four episodes and decide. If you really don't like Star Trek: TNG or you are expecting Family Guy in space, you probably won't like The Orville.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

evilmiera posted:

The show is good. I will watch it as soon as I get back home. And hopefully enjoy another good season.

I wish you well because

Milo and POTUS posted:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Guy Mann posted:

I wonder how many people never gave The Orville a chance because they don't know anything about the actual history of flight so they see a show about a spaceship called The Orville and think its referencing a guy who sold popcorn and not the guy who made the first heavier-than-air powered flight in human history.

The captain actually has a little model of the Wright Flyer on his desk :kimchi:

It reminds me of the one good part of Star Trek Into Darkness where it shows Robocop's collection of models of powered flight thru space-flight all the way through near future and far future. Really cool.

I was extremely leery of this show because I remember loving the concept of TNG but being bored to tears by it. This is a good compromise, it's not always supposed to funny, but it also never takes itself too seriously. Like, the XO downing a huge glass of water in one chug when she's hungover is a nice touch. The humans in Star Trek shows are like aliens because they don't ever seem like real people.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Guy Mann posted:

This is my go to example episode when describing why I think The Orville is the modern Star Trek and my I think Seth MacFarlane understands Star Trek better than any other creatives that have had control of it since DS9 went off the air.

Star Trek has always been about ham fisted allegories for the current state of our world. They had episodes where people who were white/black hated black/white people and Kirk has to tell them that is stupid because they are the same. They had episodes where Riker tries to stand up for someone who has gender issues in a non-gendered society. DS9 constantly breaks down morality through the lens of different cultures. The shows breaks down real issues to basic simple concepts and force feeds them to you.

The Orville has an episode where they go to the Facebook planet and tell you that the court of public opinions is a bad why to come to judgement. That is about as Star Trek as it gets.

I feel like I outgrow Seth McFarlane's brand of humor around the first time Family Guy was canceled, but I think this show is decently funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c7FL9QV1bs

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

evilmiera posted:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

h*ck, i just like the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
orville is for the same people who like bing bang theory