Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

poverty goat posted:

if you pick the right cafe in rome you can sit and watch families of gypsies pickpocket tourists for a living all day. their kids will pick your pockets while the parents distract you asking for money. it's not strictly a racist caricature, it's a real thing in their culture that you can observe in the wild all over europe.

Those arent even their children they just stole them *makes hook shape with finger*. Poor disfranchised people commit crime their race and culture dont matter.

Not to mention stealing isnt the same as selling you faulty wares or haggling you down. Just use scammed and haggled instead of gyped or jewed down.

snergle fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

poverty goat posted:

if you pick the right cafe in rome you can sit and watch families of gypsies pickpocket tourists for a living all day. their kids will pick your pockets while the parents distract you asking for money. it's not strictly a racist caricature, it's a real thing in their culture that you can observe in the wild all over europe.

I dunno I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure what you described is pretty racist

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Donovan Trip posted:

I dunno I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure what you described is pretty racist

people warned me when I went to europe and I was like "wow, that's racist," but then I had the experience of watching it happen in rome. they are pros

I also have family in belgium who were continually scammed by a large gypsy family that kept renting a home from them with straw buyers, making only the security deposit, and then riding out the 3 months or whatever before they could be legally evicted. this went on for years until the property was ruined. the tenants actually went after them under anti-discrimination laws to force them to rent to the new cousin when they got wise. can't make this poo poo up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

poverty goat posted:

people warned me when I went to europe and I was like "wow, that's racist," but then I had the experience of watching it happen in rome. they are pros

I also have family in belgium who were continually scammed by a large gypsy family that kept renting a home from them with straw buyers, making only the security deposit, and then riding out the 3 months or whatever before they could be legally evicted. this went on for years until the property was ruined. the tenants actually went after them under anti-discrimination laws to force them to rent to the new cousin when they got wise. can't make this poo poo up

think about it this way. black people also sell drugs and commit crimes as well as eat fried chicken and watermelon. Retype your poo poo with black people in the place. A few assholes =\= everyone. That poo poo you described my family did and we are white trash from america. The rent home pay for 3m and trash it thing not the pick pocketing. we just stole from walmart.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

what Orville episode teaches you not to be racist against gypsies? someone get it ASAP

welp you just mokey paw'd a gypsy themed orville episode written by the writer of Code of Honor or that TNG episode with the space irish

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

snergle posted:

think about it this way. black people also sell drugs and commit crimes as well as eat fried chicken and watermelon. Retype your poo poo with black people in the place. A few assholes =\= everyone. That poo poo you described my family did and we are white trash from america. The rent home pay for 3m and trash it thing not the pick pocketing. we just stole from walmart.

I think you're wrong to paint all poor people as huge fucks like your family

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

poverty goat posted:

I think you're wrong to paint all poor people as huge fucks like your family

I didnt. my family are definatly assholes w ho give poor people a bad name

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
lmao every time someone tries to defend racism against roma they end up confirming that they have never actually understood what racism is and that they are actually racist.

“well i hung around in the ghetto and i almost got shot! turns out the racists aren’t actually racist they’re just right!!!”

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
hey guys i was at the bank and it turns out lots of jews really are bankers! guess that holocaust thing wasn’t based on anti semitism at all!

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Ferengi aren't even in the Orville though?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

withak posted:

Orville is Star Trek But Jokes
STD is Prestige TV Drama But Bad (In Space)

In conclusion: watch Orville

The Orville is Star Trek with the serial numbers filed off.
STD is a Pontiac Aztec with a Star Trek paint job and several “I love Spock” bumper stickers.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poverty goat posted:

lol just look at this post goddamn

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I had my wallet stolen in India which is supposedly where the gypsies came from. So maybe the gypsies are bad guys.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I had my wallet stolen in India which is supposedly where the gypsies came from. So maybe the gypsies are bad guys.

Europe appears to be king in this department.

http://www.financialjesus.com/interesting-economics/top-10-countries-to-have-your-wallet-stolen-by-pickpockets/

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I did not get anything stolen in Europe and gave a firm "no" and kept walking when the beggars came up. Seemed p easy

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
oh god orville must suck if you nerds are worried by the use of racial slurs

telling stories that people steal

god forbide we start talking about the skin tone of people living in a trailer park not working

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ups_rail posted:

oh god orville must suck if you nerds are worried by the use of racial slurs

telling stories that people steal

god forbide we start talking about the skin tone of people living in a trailer park not working

Uhhh

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Much like nigerian scammers, sicilian mafiosi, somali pirates, and islamic terrorists, it's not racist to describe real-world criminality within a community just because that community is delineated in ethnic terms, even though all the racists will emphatically agree with you. Obviously all of the people in all of these communities are not criminals.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

I did not get anything stolen in Europe and gave a firm "no" and kept walking when the beggars came up. Seemed p easy

I live in a town full of Sinti and Roma Beggar Syndicates. Just don't look like the American Tourists you are, ignore them and possibly don't carry all your money in one fanny pack, along with all your documents.

Glad that Orville isn't on any streaming service so I cannot watch it, ever.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So bring it back to what some one asked earlier: Yes, the two parter that was shown recently was from last season. Everything coming up now should be from season 2.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I live in a town full of Sinti and Roma Beggar Syndicates. Just don't look like the American Tourists you are, ignore them and possibly don't carry all your money in one fanny pack, along with all your documents.

The latest episode is free on Fox's website, my DVR messed up and I had to finish the episode there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Peachfart posted:

The latest episode is free on Fox's website, my DVR messed up and I had to finish the episode there.

I watch it on Hulu, just like I watch everything else on TV ever these days.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

There was nothing in the episode that was even remotely a racial slur. Someone in the thread used the word Gypped, which in the US at least, many people don't realize is referring to a Gypsy. That started a massive derail and I think I'm the only person trying to ignore it and move on. I'm not saying ignorance is an excuse, but they have been informed seems done to me.

Show is good thread is bad.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pixaal posted:

Show is good GBS is bad.

FTFY

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is Tyra Colette good in this? She was good in Friday Night Lights

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

if you pick the right cafe in rome you can sit and watch families of gypsies pickpocket tourists for a living all day.

bro if you pick the right cafe in any major tourist city you can watch marks get got

especially Rome or Paris though lol

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Lord of Pie posted:

welp you just mokey paw'd a gypsy themed orville episode written by the writer of Code of Honor or that TNG episode with the space irish

I can do it, I think I have 2 wishes left:

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
you can tell Seth is a true Trekkie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn_Sgcxg5PQ

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lol, this is pretty bad. they gonna get cancelled

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I scrolled past all the gypsy nonsense to post that if they gave Seth the actual Trek universe and told him No Jokes Allowed he would’ve given us awesome Trek. He understands where Trek is at its best, and leans into it. Orville puts this forth as parody, but he easily could’ve stripped the jokes out and we would have a fantastic Trek show. I unironically hope he gets to write an episode for the new Picard show.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Windows 98 posted:

I scrolled past all the gypsy nonsense to post that if they gave Seth the actual Trek universe and told him No Jokes Allowed he would’ve given us awesome Trek. He understands where Trek is at its best, and leans into it. Orville puts this forth as parody, but he easily could’ve stripped the jokes out and we would have a fantastic Trek show. I unironically hope he gets to write an episode for the new Picard show.

Yeah. I’m not too big on Trek but if they give him a Trek show when this one’s done I am 100 percent on board.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Say what you will out Seth but they've got the formula down at least.

ST:Discovery reminds me of that YouTube channel where people act out plots written by 5 year-olds. I also feel like they are trying to ham fist every single TNG reference or easter egg as they can as a way of showing how cool they are.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bonzo posted:

Say what you will out Seth but they've got the formula down at least.

ST:Discovery reminds me of that YouTube channel where people act out plots written by 5 year-olds. I also feel like they are trying to ham fist every single TNG reference or easter egg as they can as a way of showing how cool they are.

My dad really wants me to like STD, but I just have no real interest in it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd prolly watch that Sabrina show again before STD

In fact I am like 98% sure I will. Even if it is pretty anti-Satan

Hail Satan

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Peachfart posted:

I'm European, I literally cannot watch this without getting possibly sued.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
I avoided this because of Seth McF but based on this thread I will give it a go.

I will be back if you have wronged me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

I avoided this because of Seth McF but based on this thread I will give it a go.

I will be back if you have wronged me.

I don't really understand this sentiment. Like yeah, Family Guy has sucked for a while, and I was "meh" about the Cleveland Show, but American Dad is still great, and I liked Ted at the time (never saw Ted 2 though)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
He was just kinda "too successful" and his very recognizable voice was all over the place

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Seth's main issue was making the same show three times (or more if you count failed pilots), then a bunch of sketches based around that style.

But this is something different. I just hope the First Contact episode is good, a proper one is what I have wanted for a while. Practically since the one from TNG where they messed it up.

(As in the characters messed up FC, not that the episode itself was bad)

Edit: vvvv The moral of this story is, sometimes letting loose and breaking tradition, or doing something stupid, can be a good way of getting out of a rut. Or avoiding a massive deadly attack you could never have prepared for.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s kind of wild that this show only exists because McFarlane drank too much on September 10, 2001.