Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PuddingKnight posted:

I think the Tinkersons is leagues above Fort Knox writing-wise

It is now. About a year or so ago, Bettwy learned how to write jokes. Before that, it was total garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I’ve honestly always had a soft spot for the Tinkersons, even when the rest of the thread thought it was awful. Even when the writing was bad they’d still knock it out of the park every now and then. It would occasionally dip into really dark humor about how the whole family couldn’t stand each other and I kind of miss that even though it’s all around better now.

I remember one of the strips had the mom threaten to kill Tillman and the last panel was just a wordless panel of Tillman staring in wide-eyed horror that made me laugh pretty hard.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Tinkersons goes in cycles. It'll be really bad for a while, get good, then get bad again. Even when it's bad it's better than Fort Knox though.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 8/9/53

They'll Do It Every Time 7/15/46

Mopsy 7/24/42

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Half circle hair is just too big a barrier for me, plus the few times I did read it it was "COME TO OUR LOCAL THEME PARK, THIS IS A WEEKS LONG AD" and they did that twice. :v:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Peanuts (December 31, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 "I BEG YOUR loving PARDON, Weren't You Intensely, Dangerously Pregnant Just A Few Days Ago?" Lane

Alias: Buster Brown hops ahead a bit to show you the rare day where Buster decides to be a really, really good kid for once. (March 8, 1908)

And finally, the last week of Life (Before Skippy) as we know it, because "Life (With Skippy)" comes back next week when we finally get to dive into 1924. (July 21, 27 and August 10, 1922)

Elsewhere In The Magazine: Another "mascots before they got work done", as we meet the Michelin Man...um, Men.

See, these dudes seem friendly, even if they don't have eyes, but every once in awhile, you get some hard characters hawking those tires.

"I suffer my fate stoically, as would you in my place."

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 30, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zereth posted:

the phantoms are graverobbers now?

okay.
Graverobberrobbers

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I’ve honestly always had a soft spot for the Tinkersons, even when the rest of the thread thought it was awful. Even when the writing was bad they’d still knock it out of the park every now and then. It would occasionally dip into really dark humor about how the whole family couldn’t stand each other and I kind of miss that even though it’s all around better now.

I remember one of the strips had the mom threaten to kill Tillman and the last panel was just a wordless panel of Tillman staring in wide-eyed horror that made me laugh pretty hard.

Like a month ago we had the story arc of the father & mother get into an argument that didn't even resolve, it just ended with them passive aggressively apologizing to the other (even though they were definitely right). So it's not all gone.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Graverobberrobbers
i'm gonna be honest my eyes kinda glaze over whenever the strip decides to show off how totally awesome the PhantomCave is so I missed that there was an extra step involved.

still kinda weird that the phantom didn't just return the remains here

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

EasyEW posted:

Alias: Buster Brown hops ahead a bit to show you the rare day where Buster decides to be a really, really good kid for once. (March 8, 1908)

Comic Strip Thread: WHEN MAN'S CONSCIENCE IS GONE HIS SOUL IS DEAD

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I read through the Garfield archives I think I can safely say that the quality begins to decline in '97-'98 - the sunday strips are still decent, but overall the daily strips seem to be running out of steam - we're getting more and more of the classic Jon standing at the table talking to Garfield who is on the table, with no details or running storylines or anything. But there are now a billion spider gags.

I'll report back if the quality comes back - I mean it's still not at the lows of modern Garfield - but yep, here's the years where it begins to go.

Also note that while I won't say Garfield is a great comic, it's a very nostalgic comic for me as it and Calvin and Hobbes were some of the earliest things I ever read, and it's nice to read the old strips and oh yeah, it was good! Like, from its genesis to '97 it's a genuinely good gag a day strip.
Can you pinpoint when the art style changed from mostly circular eyes to really tall oval eyes? That's one of the really obvious things to notice when putting '88 Garfield up against '19 Garfield.

Heck, '19 Garf this Sunday had a decent visual gag at the end.

EasyEW posted:

Elsewhere In The Magazine: Another "mascots before they got work done", as we meet the Michelin Man...um, Men.

See, these dudes seems friendly, even if they don't have eyes, but every once in awhile, you get some hard characters hawking those tires.

"I suffer my fate stoically, as would you in my place."
"The Michelin Men provide a ride so smooth you will never drop your stogie!"

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 30, 2019

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

PetraCore posted:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

CannonFodder posted:

Can you pinpoint when the art style changed from mostly circular eyes to really tall oval eyes? That's one of the really obvious things to notice when putting '88 Garfield up against '19 Garfield.

Heck, '19 Garf this Sunday had a decent visual gag at the end.

I'm looking I'm looking. It's somewhere in '94 that Garfield's design because "standardized" for lack of a better term - looking between it and '19 the design is basically the same. But in '93 you can see the slow progression towards that. Flipping through - it's a really gradual change over the 80s into the 90s as the eyes slowly get more oval --- oh, oh man. Went from '86 to '85 and the change is real pronounced. And of course flipping around the early 80s is just wild, it's primitive garfield. Which makes sense given that it was created in '78.

god at this point just sign me up as a comics scholar, will read entertaining gag strips through their archives for free

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Gloomy Rube posted:

Half circle hair is just too big a barrier for me, plus the few times I did read it it was "COME TO OUR LOCAL THEME PARK, THIS IS A WEEKS LONG AD" and they did that twice. :v:

something broke inside me a while ago and now i think those storylines are endearing

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

PuddingKnight posted:

I think the Tinkersons is leagues above Fort Knox writing-wise

You're right.

Those Janis and Arlo bookends were also extremely dope.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

PetraCore posted:

A good title to wrap up the year.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Haifisch posted:

2017 Spiderman

Didn't know Xenu was a Kree
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo97LdIHj74

My Dad is Dracula

I meal prepped a spinach, beet, and goat cheese salad this week. I feel extremely called out. But my poop is purple now, which is neat.

Pickles

Zits

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

Popeye's Cartoon Club has gone viral!

:wtc:

root posted:

Locher-era Tracy may have been a barely coherent mess but at least it was interesting and STUFF HAPPENED.

The current team has some decent art chops but it's all a lazy pastiche of nostalgia and pointless "celebrity" cameos that results in meandering stories that either don't go anywhere or just fizzle out. Remember the storyline where someone was robbing a comic convention and it turned out to be these sisters running a cosplay shop and they turned out to be anti-semetic grave robbers for some reason and... that's it?
They were really good to begin with. And it's not like they ran out of ideas, they just stopped doing anything with them.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Stone Soup

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

1. Considering she has no visible piercings, that's a lot of info to give a coworker at 8am. It's probably something like 6am, because I think she comes to work early to work with Fi and I hate that both I know that fact and that working 2-3 extra hours a day is cool with her.
2. Imagine how lovely you would feel if a kid was born 30 feet away from you and everyone forgot you existed until she was able to speak.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell
ok, bill

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Professor Wayne posted:

1. Considering she has no visible piercings, that's a lot of info to give a coworker at 8am.
Holbrook says she actually has a lot of visible piercings they're just too difficult to draw. Seriously.

Also, does anyone else in the entire world call them "piercing ornaments"? I have literally never heard that term outside of this comic.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

And to commemorate our new thread title:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Excellent

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 6, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 6, 1998)

Garfield Classic (June 6, 1988)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure they still live in a sentient tree, so there's something kind of hosed up about installing a chimney in it that they seem to use a lot.

I really enjoy moments like this that show Hagar and Helga have a pretty loving relationship, and that Hagar does try to care for Helga when she's not feeling well.

Ahhhh yes, Frazz 'used to' feel jealous that people were rich enough to travel around, but now he's not because he's a successful musician-turned-producer-turned-still rich janitor.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

do dead batteries really weigh the same as live batteries or is the family circus kid just incapable of feeling the difference? don't they lose some electrons or something when they're dead?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Haha, they're both about to get murdered and the meme words are there also.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The electrons aren't lost. The chemical reaction that moves electrons from one end to the other get spent, but all the elements are still in the battery.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
And even if they were lost, the electrons are almost weightless compared to to the protons and neutrons.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

it doesn't matter how insignificant it is the comic would still be technically incorrect!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

there's zero way this isn't a reused joke

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

:thunk:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 6, 1998)

It might just be a hunch, but I think this one’s about loving.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Green Intern posted:

Specifically, tangible boners.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Green Intern posted:

Well, Arlo could suffer from hypertension! Did you ever think of THAT?!

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Manuel Calavera posted:

Excellent

Family Circus

Actual and nearly as stupid answer: By dropping it on a table. If it bounces, then it's at least partially discharged.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

PuddingKnight posted:

Garfield

there's zero way this isn't a reused joke

idk but that December calendar only has thirty days :spergin:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

FrumpleOrz posted:

Stone Soup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Hwurmp posted:

idk but that December calendar only has thirty days :spergin:

I think you need to recount, 4*7 +3 = 31 days.
:goonsay: