Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Somebody summoned the Elder God, I see.

Anyway, because it's still Wednesday somewhere...

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 21, 1931)

Peanuts (January 5, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 9-10, 1931)

Thimble Theater (July 15-17, 1935)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Scarodactyl posted:

It is a bit heartbreaking to think that even before Williams Syndrome had a name you could be mocked for having it.
The hazards of posting old-timey comics. :(

On that note, I'm surprised there aren't more terrible racist things in these, but maybe whoever's curating these for Gocomics is avoiding that as much as possible.

Julet Esqu posted:

You can pick a tasteful wall color and then let the kid help picking out like bedspreads and poo poo. You can even narrow the wall color down to several choices and let the kid pick her favorite. It's not an all or nothing deal.
But the six year old's choices might not be 100% tasteful, and what would the guests think? :ohdear:

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Haifisch posted:

The hazards of posting old-timey comics. :(

On that note, I'm surprised there aren't more terrible racist things in these, but maybe whoever's curating these for Gocomics is avoiding that as much as possible.

Oh, they absolutely are. Basically the only way for a comic to not be racist in those days was to not feature anybody who wasn't white and anglo-saxon. In fact, I wasn't going to bring it up, but Simon Simple sticks in my mind as having some of the vilest caricatures of black people I've seen.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
random Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That's the only reference to Skips brother, huh?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
I believe so, yes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

That's the only reference to Skips brother, huh?

Skip's family gave up on him entirely after that point

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 11, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 11, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 11, 1987)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Paging Sad Bear.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Corto Maltese: Corto knows how to live the good life, or , "Ice to see y- GODDAMN IT!" says Rasputin, or "Look, all I wanted to do was finish reading that goddamn book!" says Corto

And so ends the first book of In Siberia! Join us tomorrow, won't you? In the second book:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I have no idea why Corto puts up with all these people who will so clearly betray him, and have done so before.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fingerpori

-Get out!
-OUT!!
-It was one of those directional meetings.

Fingepori Classic

-Our science department wants 50 million euros for cloning and stem cell research.
-Get out or I'll call police!
-How was is?
-He showed green light.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 3, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

I made a chart to help me explain what's going on with the Safe Havens crew:

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

It is.

(I'm typing this from memory, so people feel free to correct me if I get details wrong.) Aaron, the kiddo Michael is based on turned out to be gay. And he is very much not gay in the strip, as we know. But to add an extra hurtful layer to the story is that at one time Aaron, a photographer for his local paper, was asked to take pictures of a car crash. He went and did his job, not knowing that a young woman he had known from school was dying inside that car.

Lynn wrote that car crash into the strip, including Michael taking pictures of the wreckage. But she made the young woman survive. (It's possible that Michael saved the woman's life, but I could be wrong about that.) That young woman was Deanna, a character that Michael knew in school, and who would go on to marry Michael and bear him multiple children.

Aaron and Lynn are now estranged.

Ugh that's awful.

I've looked up the author before but google initially returned puff pieces about how the characters are based off her family and how she had a progressive (for the time) storyline where Michaels friend came out as gay. Hearing this was a suprise but after some further reading I can believe it. Poor Aaron :smith:.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Safe Havens' latest pointless twist is basically identical to a pointless twist from Dr. Who, and is similarly badly executed. I'm not going to accuse Holbrook of stealing the idea or anything- I don't think he's that plugged in to modern geek culture.

What I will do is wonder "who is this for?" Is it a big forehead-slapping moment of shock for his veteran readers? Or is it just another dumb thing to add to the Holbrookiverse wiki after this week of strips milks the idea dry?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Green Intern posted:

I have no idea why Corto puts up with all these people who will so clearly betray him, and have done so before.

Because what Rasputin says is true. Corto needs adventure, imagination and joy to live as much as he needs air to breathe and food to eat.

Still, I don't see why he couldn't become, I don't know, a spelunker or a deep-sea diver or something.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Safe Havens reveal is way more entertaining that the reveal of River Song's parents. :colbert:

EDIT: But to be clear, I'd much rather watch Doctor Who than read Safe Havens 100% of the time.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dilbert that is not what 20/20 vision means at all!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Apparently there are still fans dedicated enough to rip apart these strips, day by day. On livejournal, no less!

quote:

Panel 1: John decides to solve the problem of children wanting "to live in luxury" by sitting them down and telling them both about home heating.

Panel 2: You see, it costs two grand Canadian to heat the Pattermanse over the winter and that every time they touch the thermostat, it costs money.

Given that they're clearly uncomfortably cold despite his spending more money on heating his house than makes sense, it seems to me that he's kind of too stupid to insulate his house and would rather lecture his kids about luxury than take steps to put a dent in heating costs.

Panel 3: This is because he misjudges the impact of his message when he tells them that he wants them to think of that every time they complain about the temperature. He would like to assume that his children would be enlightened and change their ways because he thinks that he's a better person overall and better dad in particular than he actually is.

Panel 4: When Mike asks him how warm he and Liz can get for a buck, John looks like a pole-axed ewe because he doesn't know what he looks like to his children.

Summary: John's blathering about how the moral obligation of feeding, clothing and housing the children he brought into the world is a big imposition cruelly inflicted upon him has yet again gotten in the way of his trying to teach them things about money. If he were a real man instead of a kid who had to be man of the house too soon and who can't unclench his bowels, he might have actually taught them something.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Someone buy them a forums account.

Oh, who am I kidding, they're definitely already here.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Potsticker posted:

EDIT: But to be clear, I'd much rather watch Doctor Who than read Safe Havens 100% of the time.

That's why it would need to be differ by any combination of MST3K/Rifftrax/The Mads

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

bonus Pearls Before Swine

Curtis

A Problem Like Jamal

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like the #lemonadelinda comic but look at the one where they are on the swings. Look at the first panel. They look like kids. The artist can draw non-ancient kids.

Lay off the detail, friend

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the art style on that one already has me glossing over it. :-/

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Strontium posted:

Viivi & Wagner

Comic Strip Thread: The Pig Thinks of His Woman

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I think Jamal's artwork gets a lot better when it switches to color versions permanently, which should be in a few strips.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vargo posted:

I think Jamal's artwork gets a lot better when it switches to color versions permanently, which should be in a few strips.

I'll look forward to it, but even in the color strip with the lemonade stand the kid looks 90. The artist is clearly talented, it's just a very strange and off-putting character design.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

The Bloop posted:

I'll look forward to it, but even in the color strip with the lemonade stand the kid looks 90. The artist is clearly talented, it's just a very strange and off-putting character design.

Honestly, I agree and it's what kept me from posting it when I discovered it six months ago, but there's a storyline coming up that I think is worth getting into, if nothing else but as a good contrast to some other strips in this thread. So maybe I'll just get through that and see what the consensus is.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2011 Spiderman

HOLY HANNAH

Dick Tracy

Killing off Sparkle in a Minit Mystery is a bold move, I'll give them that. :v:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Husband rabbit better sell his meat fast before he's entirely worthless!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Julet Esqu posted:

You can pick a tasteful wall color and then let the kid help picking out like bedspreads and poo poo. You can even narrow the wall color down to several choices and let the kid pick her favorite. It's not an all or nothing deal.

It's insane for me to be focused on this, but I've been waiting for them to show a window in this room-converted-from-a-closet (IIRC). If there isn't a window, it isn't safe or legal as anyone's bedroom. Am I misremembering the closet thing?

-Me, hung up on thinking that logic applies in Luann again.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Since Alhazred is posting a good norwegian comic, I figured I'd try to post some of a .... good? hit and miss? ... common, one.

Introducing Lunch
There's not much to say, it's norwegian Dilbert. My primary exposure to it has been strips printed up and hung around the office sometimes.
(Though to be fair, I'm not sure how many jokes will survive getting translated by me, but I guess we'll just have to see.)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ho hum genocide of my extended family and larger species. Guess we better go have dinner now.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

1: I knew Serra would be the bad guy in NSM because new characters who aren't super are often evil but I'm still holding out hope for her to rip her face off and be Chameleon or Mysterio.
2: thanks holbrook for having an adult woman call her father daddy as part of a time travel reveal. no way to drop that info without showing your power level huh.
3: go figure Not Dave Strider has the time-displaced kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011