Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Meetup thread for those who are going to attend live. Hope to meet some of you there

Preshow featuring a gauntlet match to determine the no.1 contender for the NEVER Trios Championship begins at 2:00 EST/7:00 GMT/16:00 JST, main show an hour later at 3:00 EST 8:00 GMT/17:00 JST

If you have any sort of interest in New Japan at all and around US$9 to spare this is the month to subscribe to New Japan World. You not only get access to the Dome but New Year's Dash, Fantasticamania (CMLL crossover tour with great once a year matches), and a couple more cards from Korakuen Hall setting up the New Beginning shows in February. NJPW World now takes paypal so there's another option if you have issues using your credit card on overseas sites.

Preshow: Gauntlet Match to determine No.1 Contender for NEVER Trios title: (team order TBD)]Yano, Makabe and Taguchi vs. Nagata, Finlay, and Cobb, vs.CHAOS (Goto and Best Friends) vs. Suzuki-gun (Suzuki and KES) vs. Elite (Page, Yujiro, and Scurll)

Much to most people's chagrin the Rambo has been eliminated this year and there's no wacky special guests in the replacement preshow match. On the bright side it gets what's been the least compelling match in recent years off the main card while still giving an opportunity to cram guys like Suzuki and Goto on the show. WInner will get a title shot vs. Bullet Club on New Year's Dash.

Prediction:Yano, Makabe, and Taguchi. All three of those guys are popular but none of them are above that belt, plus English commentary has made a big deal about YTR and Makabe reuniting on the last Korakuen shows.

NEVER Openweight Championship:Kota Ibushi(c) vs. Will Ospreay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgyP8I3KRjs

They had to take a slightly more circuitous route to this match using Goto as a beltpillow due to Ospreay's injury this autumn but it ended up where they obviously planned all along. Should be a hell of a curtain jerker and it's probably the most exciting on paper match in this slot in years. Both these guys excel in showy sprints and I can't see this not delivering and popping the crowd early.

PredictionOspreay. He's signed and this would be a good first step in a heavyweight push next year as he's rumored to be in line for.

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship 3 Way:]Suzuki-gun(c) (Kanemaru and Desperado) vs. L.I.J(Shingo Takagi and BUSHI) vs. Roppongi 3K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WKMBMUti5Y

This is the fourth three way match between these three factions for either the IWGP championship or the Super Jr. tag league championship with the only change being Shingo replacing Hiromu for the most recent two. The booking of the tag league was kinda eye-rolling but the finals at Power Struggle was great and let's hope these teams can have a similar performance on the biggest stage.

Prediction:Suzuki-gun. One champ has to retain and they're getting close to a record.

British Heavyweight Championship:Tomohiro Ishii vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc6y7JpS79w

A match for Revpro's top belt takes the spot the ROH World title held over the past few years and it feels like a massive upgrade. Every singles match these two have had has been excellent and it's nice to see Ishii get a big singles match at the Dome for the first time since WK 10. Both guys are over regulars and the crowd should be far more invested in this than the ROH matches with at least one guy a substantial portion of the crowd didn't give a gently caress about.

Prediction: ZSJ- He's a guy the company's pushing, Revpro can build around, and Ishii's not gonna be hurt by the loss. Plus as @epitasis pointed out, Tana hasn't gotten his win back from him yet....

IWGP Tag Team Championship 3 Way:Guerillas of Destiny(c) vs. L.I.J (EVIL and SANADA) vs. Young Bucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkDkvoTGnZg

The booking of the other three way tag title match has received probably more derision online than even the jr heavy one. As soon as the Bucks announced that they were going to be in attendance at the WTL finals everyone knew exactly where this was heading, and of course the Bucks arrived on cue as soon as LIJ started their victory speech to make it official. It's understandable in this case as they need to get people on the card but it gets tiresome when they use it as a crutch throughout the year. Still, Bucks are excellent in these situations, the L.I.J. duo are very over right now, and I'm sure this will be a decent midcard match that will have a couple fun spots and won't overstay it's welcome on a loaded show.

Prediction:L.I.J. Much like the other tag match I can't see the heels retaining. Given the rumors surrounding the Bucks and how they focused on their record vs. L.I.J a redemption story seems the most likely outcome

IWGP US Championship: Cody(c) vs. Juice Robinson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1O0Y91-XhU

Juice's steady midcard push the first half of the year culminated with a win over Jay White for this title on a US show this summer in an excellently built match revolving around a hand injury and arguably the best English language promo work in wrestling this year from Juice. Unfortunately for him he followed it up with a poor record in the G1 and a loss in his first defense to Cody. This seems like an ideal opportunity for him to avenge that loss and regain his lost momemtum for the new year.

Prediction:Juice in what's probably the easiest to call match. Cody claims to be putting off surgery, just left ROH, and is heavily rumored to be the face of a new US promotion. Juice is scheduled to be an ROH semi-regular and gives NJPW a guy to build around for the US New Beginning shows.

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship:KUSHIDA(c) vs "Bone Soldier" Taiji Ishimori
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwde_mmDxjU

Build to this match has been rather basic and straightforward and started with Taiji pinning KUSHIDA in the Super Jr. Tag League. That alone was kinda a giveaway as Chris Sabin ate the pins for the rest of the tour and the direction became clear when an "injured" Ishimori attacked KUSHDIA at the World Tag League Finals. The match should make up for the lack of an elaborate build as KUSHIDA's one of the most consistent big match performers in wrestling and Ishimori was in my match of the year vs. Hiromu at the BOSJ Finals. This could be one of the highlights of the show much like KUSHIDA vs. Hiromu in the same spot two years ago.

Prediction: Ishimori. KUSHIDA comes off as a safe transitional champ put in this spot due to Hiromu's injury and is possibly leaving fairly soon for WWE. Ishimori starting BOSJ with a win over Ospreay and ending it with an incredible final vs. Hiromu was a sign from the outset that they saw him as someone to push.

Special Singles Match:Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEZRr6W2IQQ

Now if it's a long term build you want this is the match for you. This has been the obvious direction ever since the post NYD 2018 presser where Jay White joined CHAOS and explicitly told Okada to his face that he was going to eventually betray him. The only questions were whether Gedo would join him and how the factions would shake up and those have also been answered. Jay's grown into his gimmick well after an iffy start, is generating an enormous amount of heel heat, and surely wants to put on a better performance than at 12.. Okada's been downcycled a notch by his standards after his recordbreaking reign and feels a little fresh again.

Prediction: Jay White. Tough match to pick, most are choosing Okada and it wouldn't surprise me at all if that's tbe result . Jay's rocket push and the Gedo angle lead me to think they might want to give him a huge win to cement him as a true top level guy though.

IWGP Intercontinental Championship:
Chris Jericho(c) vs. Tetsuya Naito
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oUYGc79wjI

I'm not particularly enthralled with the idea of Naito chasing the IC but it is sensible booking given all the other parts involved and i feel it has the poential to be special. Chris Jericho has far surpassed my low expectations i had going in during this run. Their last match was outstanding and all three of Jericho's matches have delivered. Both men re smart enough that I'm sure they have something cool planned that won't feel identical to their last match.

Prediction: Naito. Naito needs his win back and Jericho's gonna want to drop it on a huge show against a top card guy.

IWGP Heavyweight Championship:
Kenny Omega(c) vs, Hiroshi Tanahashi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbt0xsao_RE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtRT7h9BEfg

While Kenny's reign has felt flat to me I'll defend the booking of this feud in theory if not always in execution. Worked shoot comments about professional wrestling ideology have underpinned many of Tana's best feuds like with Shibata and Nakamura and he's just serving in sorta the opposite role in this one. Tana's redemption arc has been by far the most enjoyable storyline of this year to me and I feel the timing's right to put him back in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom. As far as the actual match goes I'd be shocked if it doesn't deliver at a very high level given the track record both participants have in straightforward 1 on 1 matches in huge spots.

Prediction Don't know, but Go Ace!

Thauros fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

New Japan Fan Fiesta 2019
22:00 EST January 2nd, 3:00 GMT/12:00 JST January 3rd
Studio Coast, Tokyo

You'll see the set being constructed, various interviews, and eventually three matches featuring Young Lions and other guys not on the main card (exccept Nagata). It can be cool to have on in the background but if you're watching for the matches don't expect them until many hours after the stream begins.

Lion's Gate Special I:Jushin Liger and Tiger Mask IV vs. Ren Narita and Yuya Uemura
Lion's Gate Special II:Yuji Nagata and Manabu Nakanishi vs. Tomoaki Honma and Toa Henare
Lion's Gate Special III:TenCozy vs. Ayato Yoshida and Shota Umino

New Year's Dash - January 5th, 4:30 AM EDT/9:30 GMT

New Japan runs a mystery card show at Korakuen Hall in front of a rabid hardcore crowd the night after the Tokyo Dome that's often compared to the Raw after Wrestlemania. Most non tournament NJPW Korakuens feature solid multiman wrestling and buildups to announced matches for the next major show but no major angles. This one on the other hand almost always results in one huge angle to set up the shows for the New Year. 2017's saw the return of Suzuki-gun after being in NOAH for two years and 2016's was Omega taking control of the Bullet Club, kicking out AJ Styles and pinning Nakamura. Sadly it's an impossible ticket for those of us lucky enough to attend WKT

WK Toxxes:

Venomous posted:

Let's get in on the ground floor then.

:toxx: If Hiroshi Tanahashi doesn't win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship at Wrestle Kingdom 13, I will take a ban. :toxx:

Go Ace.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 31, 2018

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

whoop my rear end

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm going to whoop cavauro's rear end.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I was torn between Kenny and Tana, but then Kenny used "irregardless" in his nerdy promo video so GO ACE!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Go ace!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
In on the ground floor of what's going to be a tremendous 2019!

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Breathe....with the Switchblade

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

This is gonna be a show that'll happen. I'm pretty sure of it

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Worth mentioning if you don't have NJPW, but say have a lot of FITE TV credit you can get it there. I know that doesn't make much sense otherwise, but it could be useful for people who want to watch it natively on Roku or using the FITE TV App (which is easier to navigate vs NJPW world). It's $34.99 or $35 in credit.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

:agreed:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
GO ACE :hai:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Little extradite THIS! and I are drinking together right now in favour of THE ACE.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Let's think back, six years ago...

Wrestle Kingdom 7's ad campaign was weird.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gonna probably stay up and watch this live and I'm all Go Ace

(I wouldn't be mad at Kenny winning though)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Let's get in on the ground floor then.

:toxx: If Hiroshi Tanahashi doesn't win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship at Wrestle Kingdom 13, I will take a ban. :toxx:

Go Ace.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

don't whoop my ace

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Today I start adjusting my sleep schedule so that I can catch most of WK. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S ALMOST HERE

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

go ace

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I'd just like to provide a very sleepy Go Ace! as I head off to bed at noon having successfully hosed up my sleep schedule for the sake of this wrestling show that starts at 3 AM.

I couldn't find a picture of Tanahashi sleeping so here's one from his instagram of Kushida sleeping instead.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

GO ACE! and

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

On one hand obviously GO ACE, but on the other Kennnyyy!!!!!

Can't watch this show until at least the 10th. It's going to be tough to avoid spoiler temptation until then

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i hope harold fires the despicable taichi after the main event

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Super No Vacancy posted:

WK14: Tanahashi defends against the ultimate invader and leader of Seitei-Gun, Taichi

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

Harold slams him through three flaming tables in front of 40,000 screaming Meijniacs

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the subject of Harold, he did he go from SVP at Coke, to a Toy Company to NJPW? It just seems like weird, even after working as President for a toy company. It just seems like an odd employment change.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

MazelTovCocktail posted:

On the subject of Harold, he did he go from SVP at Coke, to a Toy Company to NJPW? It just seems like weird, even after working as President for a toy company. It just seems like an odd employment change.

He's a mark

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tonfa posted:

He's a mark

That's being a hell of a mark, considering the other types of companies he can work at, then again pay isn't probably a huge issue for him, and it's not like he invested money in the company like a top tier money mark. Can't hate him for doing what he loves, just odd to see it at the Executive level (besides ones own company they started).

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hey boy. look. i'm gonna make this simple for you. you got two choices. ace or ace.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GO ACE(pet that dog)

bummed I'll be missing WK live since its going 2am on a Friday but them's the breaks I suppose

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I took PTO on Friday. I submitted this date the day after Tanahashi won the G1. I'm not missing Kenny vs. Tanahashi.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Go Ace

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God bless New Japan for always starting the year off right with a loving awesome wrestling show. Also:

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

SalTheBard posted:

I took PTO on Friday. I submitted this date the day after Tanahashi won the G1. I'm not missing Kenny vs. Tanahashi.

same op

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
...Go Kenny

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

The coward Hiroshi Tanahashi took from me the thing I wanted most from 2018, Kota Ibushi winning the g1. I hope my friend who loves undertale Kenny Omega knees his dumb head off

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

PunkBoy posted:

...Go Kenny

I'm on team Kenny for this match. His title reign has been a little lackluster thus far (although to be fair he won it right before the G1 started which kind of put a pause on it for like a month). But I think a big victory over Tanahashi along with whatever happens at New Year Dash / New Beginnings will set him up for an awesome 2019.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
My friend Josh watched WK with Ron Funchess last year but said there were too many people doing dabs and not paying attention to the matches.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Breathe....with the Switchblade

heck yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

I'm on team Kenny for this match. His title reign has been a little lackluster thus far (although to be fair he won it right before the G1 started which kind of put a pause on it for like a month). But I think a big victory over Tanahashi along with whatever happens at New Year Dash / New Beginnings will set him up for an awesome 2019.

I think he's hitching his wagon to whatever this fuckin All Elite Wrestling thing is or atleast there's a good enough chance he will for Gedo to get cold feet and have him drop the belt here.