Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

To be fair Chris Charlton looks perpetually twelve, it might have been a serious question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Sooper Gila posted:

There's things I dig and don't dig about Callis, but I think he came across as a bully to Charlton in an old school "haze the rookie" sense that I don't think worked at all and actively put me off a number of times.Worse I think Charlton respectfully deferred to him often by going silent when it happened and that hampered the greater good of the commentary.

When Charleton first started popping up last year Kelly (and I think Rocky? I forget if he was there those first couple of nights) did the same kind of thing but you could tell it was a LOT more playful. Felt like they could tell he was a talkative guy and were making sure he wasn't putting it all out there on his first day just in case it rubbed management the wrong way, since Japanese culture heavily discourages young people and/or newcomers being too forward or whatever. But yeah Callis was just being an rear end in a top hat and it wasn't as fun as it can be with Kelly and Rocky, who are totally willing to fire back at him. Just felt uncomfortable.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

was at dome in person and saw dash in a hub in a forum meetup so it had japanese commentary. can't comment on these particular performances obviously but i'm just not particularly keen on the idea of the usual american wrestling heel commentary schtick from anyone. a guy like rocky who's a babyface but can rationalize heel behavior when necessary due to his past just works better for the product to me.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Someone mentioned this before but at least Rocky putting himself over or burying others on commentary works because he's actually involved with the on-screen product. You expect him to pump up R3K, or be nice to CHAOS stablemates, or shy away from people going after him because it's all a part of the show, and feeds into the overarching storytelling.

Callis doesn't do any of that, because he's firmly rooted in the Western style of commentary that's so outdated these days. You don't need a "heel announcer" or a "face announcer," you just need smart passionate announcers who get the product over and take it seriously. Callis is a relic of a time that really needs to stay in the past.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Who was the guy who kept piping up once every 15 minutes or so? Because he was poo poo.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
alwaysbadding don callis

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

E: Answered my own questions.

I need to get tickets to that G1 show in Dallas. I didn't even know about it until I read about it in this thread.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 6, 2019

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Akileese posted:

I need to get tickets to that G1 show in Dallas. I didn't even know about it until I read about it in this thread.

probably after g1 supercard. i would check with the arena's website.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Tomahawk posted:

alwaysbadding don callis

I was never a big fan to be honest

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Akileese posted:

It was only announced during Wrestle Kingdom, and it’s happening in early July, so there’s time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Don Callis used to be pretty darn effective at putting people over in his own way. I mean, he took a codebreaker from Jericho and had Kelly push him around in a wheelchair for a while. That was pretty cool. But after WK13, I don't need to see much more of him.

And I mean, even at WK13, even as the heel commentator, even after he beat Omega, he was like "okay Tanahashi is pretty great."

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Callis has always been fine in moderation, they just need to rein back his role to moderate sometime soon because it hasn't been that way for a bit now

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

Don Callis used to be pretty darn effective at putting people over in his own way. I mean, he took a codebreaker from Jericho and had Kelly push him around in a wheelchair for a while. That was pretty cool. But after WK13, I don't need to see much more of him.

And I mean, even at WK13, even as the heel commentator, even after he beat Omega, he was like "okay Tanahashi is pretty great."

Callis has also always been consistent in putting over Tana, likely because he really does love the Ace (he spent like half an episode of Jericho's podcast gushing about his crush on Tanahashi). Hell, he was even consistent about how good Okada is, just that he hates him (and was still consistent about hating Gedo).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

(and was still consistent about hating Gedo).
callis was always... good?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just stick with Kelly/Charlton/Rocky (when he is available) and you're golden. Callis is okay but doesn't really add or bring anything worthwhile to the table to justify being in place over any of the others.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rXgY_sHp_8

Money, money, it rains money,

Light, light, light shines brightly,

Okada, Okada, behind Okada,

Gedo, Gedo, Gedo is standing there.

During Okada's entrance Gedo appears behind him out of nowhere.

Rainmaker, maybe he'll come out soon,

When Okada poses in the corner, who is that I see?

In Okada's corner, on the apron,

Doing the same pose, Gedo is there without fail!

Always!

He's there!

He can't

See what's

In front of him

Without a doubt

Gedo.

Even though Okada's in a pinch, and is getting beaten down,

Strangely he often can't come down to save him,

And in the rare times he actually comes to the rescue,

He gets captured by the bad guys - Gedo is here!

When he's on the receiving end of a super powerful move

Gedo just gives up!

The Gedo Clutch is his trump card,

He's a high flyer and can fly through the air,

The Gedo Beam is high temperature laserbeam,

He inherited the power of a brute,

You guys probably don't know this but

There was a time when he had bleached blond hair,

Apparently he used to be more chubby than he is now,

His nickname is 'Honey Gedo".

We've been

Calling him this

For a

Long time but

Even though

We add a "Mr"

"Gedo" is

A rude word!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

Just stick with Kelly/Charlton/Rocky (when he is available) and you're golden. Callis is okay but doesn't really add or bring anything worthwhile to the table to justify being in place over any of the others.

Callis gives me a 90s indie vibe. Like he'd be great talking up a main event held in a skating rink somewhere as being better than anything you'd see on national television. Not really my thing, but english commentary isn't my thing so whatever.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Yano is the best, Yano number one.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I thought Callis was particularly annoying during the Naito/Jericho match but otherwise whatever.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I find Callis to be way more of a try hard than Chris. His forced heel personality comes across so corny and overbearing. I like the knowledge Chris has but his voice is grating after a while. I still much prefer him to Callis.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1082105491776360448?s=19

If this isn't a work, it's pretty conclusive about Kenny's future

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not necessarily. I mean it's probable it means WWE, but he could also do the Ibushi thing and be freelance. I'm sure AEW wouldn't have an issue booking him to work shows/tapings under those circumstances, and it would eliminate the issue with the ROH relationship as far as Omega goes.

Of course there's also the bizarre fact that WWE would almost HAVE to push him as a top guy given the amount of money they've allegedly had to shell out. Like, some of the rumours make it sound like he'd be getting more than anyone short of Lesnar.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I Before E posted:

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1082105491776360448?s=19

If this isn't a work, it's pretty conclusive about Kenny's future

Well poo poo. Hopefully he can come back to NJPW when the Ace isn’t at the top...

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Kushida is also leaving, which, yeah.

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1082114682058551296?s=19

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That was pretty obvious after NYD.

At the very least, WWE having a relationship with NBCUniversal means he might be able to have even more of a Back To The Future gimmick

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Cameo posted:

That was pretty obvious after NYD.

At the very least, WWE having a relationship with NBCUniversal means he might be able to have even more of a Back To The Future gimmick

KUSHIDA enters at the Brooklyn Takeover to the actual Alan Silvestri score and vanishes in a puff of smoke on the ramp as he achieves nirvana.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

All in all I'm pretty happy with 2019 New Japan :unsmith:

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

didnt Kenny say almost the same thing when he lost to Okada and was out for like a month

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The future from here is really uncertain, especially since New Japan is simultaneously pushing big for American expansion and losing a lot of the people who headlined those big American shows, if the rest of The Elite follow Kenny. I guess they're really behind Okada and Tanahashi as global draws.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I Before E posted:

The future from here is really uncertain

Not immediately. I can see the Elite boys doing Japan part time

MSG is a complete no-go though. Like :lol: good luck if you bought tickets to that hoping to see even one of them because there was a good reason the first announcements were always just Okada/Tana/Naito. That wasn't an accident, and Cody and the gang kept trying to tell fans it wasn't

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Not immediately. I can see the Elite boys doing Japan part time

MSG is a complete no-go though. Like :lol: good luck if you bought tickets to that hoping to see even one of them because there was a good reason the first announcements were always just Okada/Tana/Naito. That wasn't an accident, and Cody and the gang kept trying to tell fans it wasn't

Depending on how the parley between the three sides goes, I could easily see them doing some kind of big surprise AEW angle at MSG. It'd be a smart way to get maximum buzz.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

who is going to be the new junior ace?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I thought it was pretty clear at WK it's gonna be Taiji if Hiromu doesn't come back

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

...thought it was pretty clear at WK it's gonna be Taiji if Hiromu doesn't come back

he is a jack at best.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hiromu's totally coming back anyway

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Tiger Mask W, obviously.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

That's a really good question. Ishimori seems like the obvious choice, since he's the new champion, but I honestly have no idea who he's got for competition. Ospreay is moving up, Marty might be gone, Kushida is gone, Bushi and Shingo seem to be tag focused, same with R3K, and Taguchi seems to be out of regular contention, so there's ACH and Desperado?

Of course, there's another option: Barbaro Cavernario

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Sho

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Hiromu is over at the level of most of the heavyweights. He’s the ace now, even out with his busted neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Cameo posted:

Hiromu is over at the level of most of the heavyweights. He’s the ace now, even out with his busted neck.

I'll believe he's back when he wrestles a match.