Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New year, new you with more discussion of stuff we saw on Youtube because that poo poo is basically TV now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Arcade Pit is awesome background TV.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cross-posting some thoughts I had about Netflix's new choose your own adventure thing Bandersnatch:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If you're into FMV games, Bandersnatch on Netflix is pretty cool. It's by no means revolutionary as FMV games have existed for decades, but it's neat that they're getting revitalized for Netflix now. It's a hell of a lot more interesting than loving Bird Box, at least.

It's supposed to be an hour and a half long, but that must only be if you play through it once and then stop? I got multiple different endings and lost track of how long I'd been playing because there's no time counter for this one like there is for everything else on Netflix lmao

Also, Happy New Year y'all! Hopefully 2019 is more tolerable than the nightmare that was 2018.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Most of what I watch is on YouTube now... :smith:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Couch Chat Red

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Ironically, it’s mostly old BBC history documentaries. From TV. :ironicat:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's Couch Chat Premium now.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought I read they were moving their Originals to a free with ads, but paid without model?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
YouTube is hilarious because it took like 30 years for cable TV to reach the level of channel drift that the average YouTube superstar reaches in about a year. Only at least History Channel showing Pawn Stars is marginally related to historical objects unlike the tech dudes making videos of them eating weird snacks or political commentators doing Lets Plays because they drive clicks.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

yay it says couch in the title this year and thus will be easier to spot in my bookmarks!!!!

also happy new year, nerds!

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Something I noticed watching the new season of Angie Tribeca:

https://twitter.com/AllisonByProxy/status/1079884104156545024

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Looking forward to this craziness in 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7oPSkiAm0A

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
One of the most underrated uses of YouTube is plugging in random people that show up in news stories and seeing how much inane bullshit they create and what they self-identify as versus the amount of views they get. Like how earlier this month there was a news story about Scottie Pippen suing a "comedian" who trashed his mansion and if you look her up she makes the most vapid clickbait poo poo imaginable with almost no views yet she's still wealthy enough to be paying $30,000 a month to rent out a mansion.

Or the guy who owns the largest collection of Garfield memorabilia on earth having a bunch of videos from the annual Garfield Gatherings and making promos for his book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD0hc7yvxqY

In conclusion,

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's nearly 2019 and Piz is still the worst guy Veronica Mars ever dated!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

Some things never change.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So, that Battlestar Galactica finale...

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
In 2019 Fringe was still the best show ever.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

EL BROMANCE posted:

I liked it for the most part ngl. But I also binged the show after it finished airing, and didn't watch it week to week assuming the showrunners actually had a plan lmao. Pretty sure the only thing they actually planned from day one and executed on were the religious themes. Everything else was just thrown at a wall.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Croatoan posted:

Into the Spider-Verse rules for a lot of reasons, one of them being that it functions as methadone for anyone suffering withdrawal from Fringe's alternate universe background gags.

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/1073030220532338688

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 1, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Now I'm sad Clone College is not a real thing.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I’d be interested to know what the pecking order is among YouTube stars.

For instance, which of these channels is :airquote: bigger :airquote:?
Neebs Gaming - >1.7M subs with ~130k-200k views per video with 4-6 videos per week
-OR-
RedLetterMedia - >900k subs with 400-800k views per video with 1-2 videos per week

Looking at just subs, Neebs seems bigger, but looking at videos, RLM seems more popular. In reality, their weekly viewership is probably about the same, but I’m curious about how the actual content-producers see it.

EL BROMANCE posted:

So, 10 years later I finally got to rewatching this. Some thoughts:
-:bsg: still has some of the best SFX done on TV. The work they do on The Expanse today is more detailed, but BSG looks better than many contemporary films and even modern shows!
-Each episode is fun and well done. The acting is phenomenal and they have a great, ensemble cast.
-Each episode starts with the tag line “...and they have a plan.” Clearly, the writers did not. So much of the show is undone by the choice of the final five cylons. Rewatching the first two seasons, so much is rendered completely irrelevant or has all of the drama removed by later decisions. Rewatching and seeing that two cylons are having a philosophical debate about their humanity loses its dramatic effect when you realize that the writers don’t know they are both cylons, yet.
-Michael Hogan is the poo poo: Tyclops 4EVA! :yarr:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AllisonByProxy posted:

Something I noticed watching the new season of Angie Tribeca:

https://twitter.com/AllisonByProxy/status/1079884104156545024

Slowly watching the new season and that whole "Sounds like a million dollar idea, shame if someone stole it" joke feels like something out of Xavier: Renegade Angel.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

They were all terrible. Veronica probably should've dated Mac, Wallace, or Weevil

but I liked Piz the best

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

esperterra posted:

Now I'm sad Clone College is not a real thing.

Spider-Verse is written by Phil Lord and it absolutely shows, anyone who enjoys his style of dense meta writing with a strong sincere heart at its core should see it. The fact that the animation is so good is just a plus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

They were all terrible. Veronica probably should've dated Mac, Wallace, or Weevil

but I liked Piz the best

YOU ARE HISTORYS GREATEST MONSTER

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Happy New Year, friends! I love you all and am very happy this thread is called Couch Chat again. Hope you’ve all had, are having, or will have an awesome night, depending on timezone.

This year I’m excited for the return of You’re the Worst and Future Man. I hope Umbrella Academy and Miracle Workers are good, and despite the awkward press coverage I’m excited for SMILF to return. Plus we get the end of Kimmy Schmidt!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
And I'm Sorry as well. Happy 2019 TVing, everyone!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

howe_sam posted:

but I liked Piz the best

:yikes:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

YOU ARE HISTORYS GREATEST MONSTER

When the choices are Logan or Piz, choose the guy who can maybe get you in with Terry Gross, and not the one who looks like he's wearing a badly fitting Halloween costume when he's in his dress whites.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Radio is dead though while war, war never changes.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Cross-posting some thoughts I had about Netflix's new choose your own adventure thing Bandersnatch:

Can you push a button to watch him do his taxes?

Also, is it about a prostitute that was so bad, they bandersnatch?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
I only saw the first season of Galactica because it was airing at a reasonable time here, when season 2 came out, they pushed it back a lot later, and I wasn't going to stay up that late to watch it, and didn't bother trying to record it. I did pick up season 2 on dvd but I haven't watched it. Once I looked for it on Netflix, and at the time they had the original Galactica, Galactica 1980 & Caprica, but not the reboot Galactica.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

greententacle posted:

I only saw the first season of Galactica because it was airing at a reasonable time here, when season 2 came out, they pushed it back a lot later, and I wasn't going to stay up that late to watch it, and didn't bother trying to record it. I did pick up season 2 on dvd but I haven't watched it. Once I looked for it on Netflix, and at the time they had the original Galactica, Galactica 1980 & Caprica, but not the reboot Galactica.

It's on Prime.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

greententacle posted:

Can you push a button to watch him do his taxes?

Unfortunately not, and :downsrim:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Reminder that the New Year's marathon of The Twilight Zone on Syfy is on and if you aren't watching it you aren't a real American.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Speaking of Youtube, our lord and savior Lindsey Ellis has a new episode about death of the author and it's the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGn9x4-Y_7A

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

greententacle posted:

Welcome to 2019, everybody

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I haven’t gotten to that yet but it’s hard to imagine I’ll like it less than Logan. But the show seems to be making dumb decisions pretty frequently so far in early season three so maybe it will be.

howe_sam posted:

but I liked Piz the best

So far put me in the Aaron Ashmore camp. Much better than Logan or Bland No Personality Man.

I think the show just has an issue with relationships in general, it’s not a strongpoint.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought Bird Box was better than Bandersnatch. B+ versus a B-, respectively

Also The Orville continues to be the best star trek show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Croatoan posted:

Hell yeah