Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I can't stress enough how devastating this is to me.

X-O posted:

There are some early 20 somethings that work in the adjacent department that never saw The Office on TV when it aired and watch it on Netflix all the time and are always talking about it. I wouldn't be surprised if just as many people are watching it now as were watching when it originally aired.

Someone said a while ago that thanks to netflix, old shows like Twin Peaks and the X-files are sorta finding a second audience with young folks who presumably weren't even born when they premiered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

I started driving in the late 90s so I've had some pretty big swings because when I was starting out it would semi-regularly go under $1. Then in the mid 00s it zoomed up to about $4 and stayed closer to that for way too long.

Got my permit in 1993 and there's a Polaroid somewhere of my first fill up and gas was like 88 cents/gallon.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
In 2004ish I remember gas being cheap enough my high school friends and I would just drive around all night, which would be stupid expensive to do now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Milo and POTUS posted:

Someone said a while ago that thanks to netflix, old shows like Twin Peaks and the X-files are sorta finding a second audience with young folks who presumably weren't even born when they premiered.
Yuuuuuuuuup. Twin Peaks premiered the year I was born. I didn't see it until I was like 20 or 21 when it was on Netflix, but it became one of my favorite shows ever. I followed The Return religiously and couldn't get enough of it.

I remember watching X-Files when it was airing when I was a kid and enjoying it/being scared by it then, but I was probably too young to understand at least some of what was going on.

Rhyno posted:

Got my permit in 1993 and there's a Polaroid somewhere of my first fill up and gas was like 88 cents/gallon.
This was '88, but

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 2, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

In 2004ish I remember gas being cheap enough my high school friends and I would just drive around all night, which would be stupid expensive to do now.

Gas was so cheap when I was 16-18 I would drive just to drive.

I can still do that now but it's less freeing when you oat for the car and insurance yourself.

Edit: I also long for the days when the price variance between grades was a dime, not this 40 cents per grade jump bullshit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Really wish that streaming had been a thing when I was a teenager so my generation could have gotten into Kolchak: The Night Stalker, UFO, and The Invaders. Now they're out there but lost in a sea of content. Reruns kept some stuff in the public eye but more bad than good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just checked the UK average price for home, and even with the pound being weak right now it’s still nearly $6/gallon. Probably for the best everything is so close together.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't remember exactly what the price per gallon was, but I remember when my ex and I went to Iceland back in 2014, gassing up the rental car before we dropped it off before leaving cost us like $80 something. It probably worked out to like $8 or $9 per gallon or something loving insane like that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It makes sense for governments to increase gas prices until more people buy electric cars. But do it badly and you get those revolts in France.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not sure if I’m surprised by The Office, as it constantly seems to be running on at least one of three channels on my cable sub. But I guess a ton of people have Netflix and no cable.

I watch I think s2-5 episodes when I see them and are bored, but can’t be bothered to relive the final years.

I actually think the last season of The Office was an improvement on the two or three seasons previous. I think a combination of some of the older actors leaving, getting a few new ones, Ed Helms peacing out for like half the season, and actually being able to develop characters due to the impending end made it the best the show had been since Carrell left. Still not a candle to the first five seasons, though (and obviously 2-3 are the best within that).

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When George W. Bush was elected in 2000, one of the platforms he ran on was that, as former oil men, he and Cheney could talk to the gas companies and lower gas prices.

The national gas average when he got elected was something like $1.10/gallon, and when he left office I think it was something like $4.00/gallon, so I guess mission accomplished!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can't wait for Dubya and Cheney to die.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't wait for Dubya and Cheney to die.
Did you see Vice? That movie will only exasperate that feeling for you lol

I knew they were horrible people going into it, but goddamn, it really drives home what awful policies they had and how they hosed over so many people during their time in office.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Chairman Capone posted:

I actually think the last season of The Office was an improvement on the two or three seasons previous. I think a combination of some of the older actors leaving, getting a few new ones, Ed Helms peacing out for like half the season, and actually being able to develop characters due to the impending end made it the best the show had been since Carrell left. Still not a candle to the first five seasons, though (and obviously 2-3 are the best within that).

I can’t remember my feelings towards the whole season, but I definitely thought it ended strongly with the last few episodes. The creators getting more involved again definitely shone through.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/schwellenbach/status/1080462580114747392

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

drat. Bob Einstein dying is a bummer. Gonna miss Super Dave. You'd be surprised at how many fans never knew he was the older brother of Albert Brooks, who changed his last name for obvious reasons.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

There are some early 20 somethings that work in the adjacent department that never saw The Office on TV when it aired and watch it on Netflix all the time and are always talking about it. I wouldn't be surprised if just as many people are watching it now as were watching when it originally aired.

This is also true where I work, there's a ton of people younger than me always talking about The Office. It's really strange.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Someone behind the scenes of Angie Tribeca really gets me. Here's all I could find from season 4:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I caught Bobson Dugnutt too and I was ecstatic.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm watching Catfish and the woman in this episode thinks that the guy she's been talking to online is Chris Brown and says it'll take a lot to convince her that it's not actually him.

I love this show and the unbelievably stupid people on it :allears:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm watching Catfish and the woman in this episode thinks that the guy she's been talking to online is Chris Brown and says it'll take a lot to convince her that it's not actually him.

Surely it's not real anymore.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rocksicles posted:

I wanna say I remember reading an article a few years ago that revealed that the person doing the Catfishing writes into the show and the producers know their identity and poo poo, but the whole process that the hosts go through and the person being Catfished not being in the know are both real?

In any case, it's still entertaining even after several seasons.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Finished watching A Series of Unfortunate Events and was kind of surprised by how much the third season does with humanizing Olaf.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rocksicles posted:

Kudos for them somehow making a TV show that is even worse than the terrible movie they made before it. Although I firmly blame my dislike of it 99% on the marketing - "You'll never believe what happens!" and it being the most loving obvious thing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EL BROMANCE posted:

Kudos for them somehow making a TV show that is even worse than the terrible movie they made before it. Although I firmly blame my dislike of it 99% on the marketing - "You'll never believe what happens!" and it being the most loving obvious thing.
Sometimes it is super obvious, like obviously this wasn't going to be Chris Brown. But sometimes it's not as clear cut. There was an episode recently where a girl had supposedly been talking to this guy from a reality show, and eventually when they met up, it was that guy, but he was just there to apologize because it was actually his nephew who ran his social media accounts and had been acting like a huge rear end in a top hat to multiple people.

It's not like it's the best show on television, but I've always been entertained by it v:shobon:v

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Damnit, that's reminding me of a storyline of a show where someone sets up a fake profile to lure his ex-wife with pics a famous person (basketball or baseball player I think), and they end up actually dating and I can't for the life of me remember what show it is.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Damnit, that's reminding me of a storyline of a show where someone sets up a fake profile to lure his ex-wife with pics a famous person (basketball or baseball player I think), and they end up actually dating and I can't for the life of me remember what show it is.

I think it was Review, that Andy Daly show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

YES. Thank you. I was racking my brain and I kept thinking more straight forward sitcom so that never came into thought. drat that show was the best.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
LUTHER

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It is a goddamn shame the Mick got canceled. That show was incredibly ahead of its time

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

muscles like this! posted:

I started driving in the late 90s so I've had some pretty big swings because when I was starting out it would semi-regularly go under $1. Then in the mid 00s it zoomed up to about $4 and stayed closer to that for way too long.

Started driving in '99 and filled up for $0.89! :corsair:

what does this have to do with tv?

I wish they'd do a gently caress You It's January again... :smith:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Calaveron posted:

It is a goddamn shame the Mick got canceled. That show was incredibly ahead of its time

I adored the show and I'll never forgive who made the call to cancel it but how was it ahead of its time?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Can you call something "ahead of its time" at all without it being many years later?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I think last season there was a guy who thought he was talking to Katy Perry, got shown the woman who was posing as her and who confessed to him, and the guy was convinced it was a conspiracy to try to get him to break up with the real Katy Perry.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chairman Capone posted:

I think last season there was a guy who thought he was talking to Katy Perry, got shown the woman who was posing as her and who confessed to him, and the guy was convinced it was a conspiracy to try to get him to break up with the real Katy Perry.
Yeah, that one was loving insane hahaha

Although several people on the show (both the catfishes and the people being catfished) legitimately seem like they might have schizophrenia or something, so sometimes it's hard to tell when to stop laughing at them and start feeling sorry for them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

esperterra posted:

Scully was often a comedic role, depending on the episode. Gillian is hilarious.

Straight (wo)men are always underappreciated.

Lycus posted:

Can you call something "ahead of its time" at all without it being many years later?

This, "instant classic" and any "best ever" list that includes items from within the last decade irrationally annoy me. Try to maintain some perspective, people.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Masked Singer could be a totally fun show, since it's basically indistinguishable from an Asian panel reality tv show, but they've got Jenny McCarthy as one of the hosts and she's just so incredibly awful that I don't think I'll be able to watch another ep of it.

Costumes were pretty frickin' sweet tho

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Milo and POTUS posted:

I adored the show and I'll never forgive who made the call to cancel it but how was it ahead of its time?

It was gross and vulgar but in a good way that should be acceptable in modern TV standards

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Calaveron posted:

It was gross and vulgar but in a good way that should be acceptable in modern TV standards

And looked what happen to it :sigh:

Talking x-files what episode had scully say something like "I think it was where he kept his weed, mulder". It was some little can or container (or pot :grin:) and I thought it was the roach (:grin:) one.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
SEAL team has really been crushing it's whole thing this season, and last season for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sirotan posted:

The Masked Singer could be a totally fun show, since it's basically indistinguishable from an Asian panel reality tv show, but they've got Jenny McCarthy as one of the hosts and she's just so incredibly awful that I don't think I'll be able to watch another ep of it.

Costumes were pretty frickin' sweet tho

I honestly have no desire ever to watch that show, but I really like the costumes I've seen, and it makes me sad because otherwise it's in my mental "dumb as hell" bin.