Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Just announced that Bruce Campbell will be hosting the new "Ripley's Believe or Not" for the Travel Channel

A happy new year indeed. That's a great pairing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
She claims that both are after living in the UK for so long and that she switches depending on where she is.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Really wish that streaming had been a thing when I was a teenager so my generation could have gotten into Kolchak: The Night Stalker, UFO, and The Invaders. Now they're out there but lost in a sea of content. Reruns kept some stuff in the public eye but more bad than good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Awesome, that sounds like extremely my poo poo and I haven't heard of them. It's really a shame there aren't good discovery tools around finding new channels you'd enjoy. Getting a giant firehose algorithm from YouTube's side is useless.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Same, friend. Same. :smith::hf::smith:

pre-1950s is olde timey music
1950s-1960s is oldies
1970s is classic rock
1980s is good pop
1990s is bad music

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

My dad recently asked me what song that was which provided the perfect opportunity to spring this on him:

https://youtu.be/xQBGmBOhQEE

Jesus christ how did anyone think that was a good idea

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Arrested Development was 100% considered a prestige comedy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Me too. My '90s celebrity crushes were her and Jennifer Connelly.

Those two and Christina Ricci were my big 3 as a youth. And nearly every girl I've dated has now had that same general look, a trend I didn't notice until well into my 20s.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It wasn't just rich people that suffered as a result of his schemes, either. All the people of the Bahamas that worked tirelessly to build this impossible thing because they were excited about an event like that coming to their home who never got paid...just, Jesus man :smithicide:

drat. It looked like the feelgood documentary of the year, watching an rear end in a top hat scam spoiled rich kids and then go to prison.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

So Conan O'Brien is back with his new half hour format. He's not wearing a suit and there's no band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TydLDWXKk9Y

Good first step. Now kill the monologue and stop scripting the interviews so heavily. Or just make the whole show Conan Without Borders.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Get rid of the interviews entirely and have the entire show be stupid skits.

Agreed, let's go with this.

Writer's strike Conan is still the best Conan. Just the dumbest, goofiest, I-don't-give-a-poo poo-iest bits.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Coens making their first sequel to anything would be a sight to behold. Whatever they'd do I'm sure it'd be nontraditional in the best possible way. I don't think we'd ever be at risk for Another Adventure of The Dude.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

No way in hell its a sequel. I mean, I’m still going to be worried about it until the ad has actually aired, but there’s no way in hell.

I'm voting for Kahlua. It'll be like the Crocodile Dundee thing last year and we'll all forget about it immediately.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay. I just watch Star Trek: Discovery's newest episode without having seen anything from the show before. I know it's meant to be the most "Trek" of all the episodes by a long shot, but... drat. I'd watch the hell of out a show that were all like this. It feels like the ideal melding of what's best about the OS, Next Gen, and JJ-Trek.

e: well maybe not the best of the OS because nobody punched a lizardman in the face or tried to bang a space babe, but the second best in that it was a self-contained, on-the-nose morality tale exploring a simple philosophical idea.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 26, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Just hop into the mirror universe and swap in mirror Pike in his place, Chrono Trigger style.

I was shocked that this wasn't what their plan for Jason Isaac's character. Seems like a win-win, have a false mirror universe version of the captain, have him defeated, rescue the good universe version and instill him a the new captain. Really seems like a missed opportunity.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

How soon after Iron Man II was this

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

precision posted:

The 80s one is great, the 90s one is pretty bad.

Black Monday continues to be amazing and I wish the whole season was out at once

Yeah, I'm going to wait until I can snort the whole season up my nose at once.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well goddamn.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Shlock isn't even inherently a negative thing

Schlock is in fact inherently a positive thing

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I think you guys might not understand the difference between Schlock and Camp.

Nah. I've been watching a lot of low-budget 1950s monster movies lately. I definitely mean schlock.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

so-bad-its-good media

To this day I simply can't understand the concept. Like a thing, hate a thing, but don't point and laugh at a thing because you think you're better than it. Try to meet a filmmaker halfway if you're going to watch something that didn't achieve what they intended, or ignore their intention and enjoy it with death of the author in mind.

If you go to a Rocky Horror screening and laugh at it you simply have no taste, and if you go to The Room and laugh at it you're a child and a bully.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
RoboCop

efb

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks like Y the Last Man is going to series for a 2020 debut.

Michael Green's involvement in anything will forever be an intriguing prospect for me because of Blade Runner 2049, but the most exciting part of this for me is the fact that after Trump got elected he decided to go back to the drawing board on his approach. So to me it feels like the ideal approach, ideal time, and ideal team.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just rewatched that scene from the movie recently and realized how great their Sigourney Weaver and Ian Holm lookalikes are.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Another day, another wrongheaded Muppet reboot with an obnoxious human at the head.

Who on earth would prefer this over the variety show concept?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

asecondduck posted:

Disney Presents: Jordan Peele's Song of the South

Make this another collaboration with Spike Lee bringing his Bamboozled goods and Disney can finally do a worthwhile remake.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
gently caress. Yes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GreenNight posted:

gently caress.

Starz has cancelled the J.K. Simmons-led sci-fi spy drama “Counterpart” after two seasons. The series airs its now final episode on Sunday.

Apparently being shopped around to other networks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A) Kevin Smith has DEFINITELY jerked it to Harley Quinn are you kidding?

B) Jared Leto DEFINITELY creeps on underage girls including my ex in her teenage years

C) The only interesting thing you could do with Harley Quinn is to have her leave an abusive relationship with the Joker for Ivy. Even her creepo creator recognized this

D) Clerks 2 is in no way shape or form "alright"

E) Altered Carbon is underrated and very pretty

These are my opinions.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

swickles posted:

Listening to Kevin Smith talk about Jersey Girl is a great insight into how exactly studios "meddle" with films and how it completely ruins a movie. Like I am not saying Kevin Smith's unfiltered version of Jersey Girl would be some masterpiece, but what ultimately hit the theaters was way off from what he envisioned.

What was the gist?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looper is the exception. I'd say Unbreakable was the end of trying being a regular thing for him.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Man, it's pretty depressing that this $2B Amazon Lord of the Rings series seems to have absolutely no driving vision or creative purpose behind it whatsoever. They have no loving idea what to do with the thing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If they're actually adaptating Nancy Drew rather than just being inspired by the vague concept they'd better actually make George gay.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

esperterra posted:

I just finished Umbrella Academy and I hope it gets another season, I enjoyed that v much. I'd like the pacing to be better, though, it could have been quite a few episodes shorter imho. But Netflix gonna Netflix.

Would you say the bank robbery scene is indicative of the quality of the show? Because I watched that clip on YouTube and woof, that was poorly made.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

Seven-episode animated adaptation of Alien: Isolation is in the works, and could potentially be out as early as... April? https://observer.com/2019/02/alien-isolation-series-disney-fox-sale-box-office/

Huh. When I first read this headline I imagined that it was going to be an anime-style adaptation or somesuch. But it's being made by the same folks who did the game, which probably means they'll be reusing all the models and environments from the game. That's actually an incredibly smart way to approach this sort of a project to keep the budget low and the profitability high.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rhyno posted:

The New Mutants episode was the goddamned worst.

I couldn't even make it there. I loved the first season but the second season was either all fan-service, references, or repeats of the exact same beats.

I think that Temple of Doom scene with Brett Gelman playing the physical manifestation of the fanbase was the scene that finally made me give up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Norwegian Rudo posted:

The general public seems to disagree with the Netflix doubters in this thread:

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/netflix-original-content-consumer-survey-ratings-acsi-1203144795/

It's original content scores highest of any streamer in customer satisfaction, and it's going up.

That's because it's all hyper-targeted. Normal human beings who don't read movie news websites and post on forums aren't even aware of the originals that aren't targeted to their demographic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Aaaaand Twilight Zone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29_gA_GDGvE

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Finally watched the Outer Limits episode Demon with a Glass Hand and boy oh boy did James Cameron have balls to argue that Terminator wasn't a ripoff. I'd heard about the court case for years but always assumed that the similarities would just be in the science-fiction concepts used as a base for the story, but it's the whole dang thing.

I mean, both are independently great and very different in places, but it definitely crosses the line of inspiration.

This really should be a feature film.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Altered Carbon season 2 teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j75gM70k20

The second half of the season was weaker than the first, and I know it didn't click for some people at all, but I loved season 1. Pumped for this, Mackie is a charming dude.

My two worries are that they either go too anime with it like like the first season occasionally dipped into with the sister, or that they go really self indulgent with the flashback stuff.

Guy Mann posted:

Stephen King has basically rewritten entire episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents with only minor changes that were later given their own adaptations but he never denied it so I dunno if that makes it any different. I think my favorite was Autopsy Room Four, his rewrite of Breakdown where instead of tears the involuntary action that shows he's still alive is him getting a boner.

Ha, love it. I mean, to some degree I can't really blame a creator for watching something and wishing they could put their own spin on it. The line is fuzzy between inspiration and copyright infringement, and what one person thinks is enough of a change another might feel is too close for comfort.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 22, 2019