Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime is a web novel turned light novel turned manga turned anime turned mobage turned who knows what else!

This thread is about the light novels + web novel version! The official LN is currently up to volume four in English, while unofficial translation of the WN is complete. The WN and especially the LN have a lot more time to devote to the series' fantasy mechanics, so if you like reading about magic sewer systems and friendly goblins this is the series for you. Manga chat can probably go here too, why not!

:siren:Anime thread is over here.:siren:

Synopsis:
Satoru Mikami, 37, is a successful employee at a contracting firm who couldn't find much to complain about in life aside from the fact that he's single. One day while meeting a coworker he is stabbed and dies, but is reincarnated into another world as a slime (per a rather liberal interpretation of his complaints regarding his death). After coming to grips with his new body and the rpg-like world he is now in, he befriends the Storm Dragon Verudora and sets off to find more "Otherworlders" like himself.

Summary stolen from the anime thread.

Spoiler policy:
Put anything after the latest official English release under spoilers, maybe! That'd be polite I think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

LN Volume 5: I wonder how the anime handle the end of the season with Arc 4/5. Suprise attack by Hina followed by The End (?) With Rimuru barely surviving that encounter only to learn Shion died? Or will we finish with his banquet on the Kingdom's army followed by his evolution and 'stay tuned for next season when he kicks demon lord rear end?'

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Grouchio posted:

LN Volume 5: I wonder how the anime handle the end of the season with Arc 4/5. Suprise attack by Hina followed by The End (?) With Rimuru barely surviving that encounter only to learn Shion died? Or will we finish with his banquet on the Kingdom's army followed by his evolution and 'stay tuned for next season when he kicks demon lord rear end?'

I think the season ends with the Hinata fight as a cliffhanger. Either before or after.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Grouchio I'm going to assume you've read the official releases, if not then pick them up so you can read about Rimuru introducing whiskey and brandy to the dwarves while bemoaning that he can't get drunk off his own product.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

Grouchio I'm going to assume you've read the official releases, if not then pick them up so you can read about Rimuru introducing whiskey and brandy to the dwarves while bemoaning that he can't get drunk off his own product.

The best bit of alcohol-related content is the dinner with King Gazel, when Rimuru drinks and his Resist Poison skill activates. :allears:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

A Tin Of Beans posted:

The best bit of alcohol-related content is the dinner with King Gazel, when Rimuru drinks and his Resist Poison skill activates. :allears:

drat you I was gonna post that. I'll be posting that along with an info dump later. Said info dump is quite sizeable as it deals with the differences between LN, Manga, and anime so just a heads up if that sounds like it might be too long. It will also be unmarked since we've seen the episodes they pertain to.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Ok here's part of the promised info dump.

Episode 1

* In the manga, Satoru(Rimuru's human form) had a dream of a slime with several monster officers who then turned into a blue haired youth.

* The anime does not mention that he had spent a total of three months inside the cave. One month blind and just wandering around before "Great Sage" finished fully integrating to "The Voice of the World" to best serve Rimuru, another month before he ran into Veldora, and finally the last month was him finally exiting the cave.

* There's a reason Veldora burned that town in specific, but it's a spoiler(not a big one though) that gets explained much later. I'll go into it if requested.

* The "Hero" sent to take on Veldora was able to beat him due to both being very powerful and Veldora being HUGELY distracted by her beauty. He details her features to Rimuru in both the LN and manga(Slender figure with porcelain white skin, silver black hair, and ruby red lips "wags tail remembering her").

* Veldora IS in fact immortal. When he or anyone of his kin die, they simply revive/reincarnate as a new dragon somewhere in the world. This is one of the reasons the kingdom was panicking since Veldora vanishing could mean his revival somewhere. The other is that he was the only real deterrent to the Eastern Empire invading via The Forest of Jura since no one wants to be the poor sod who breaks the seal on the Storm Dragon to cause mayhem again.

Episodes 2 - 3

* When he exited the cave, the first creatures he met were Ranga and some wolves. They immediately ran away whimpering due to his aura. He meets the goblins a bit later and it's then that he learns about the aura.

* When the Direwolves attack, the pack leader is warned by Ranga about the slime. He disregards this warning. His inner monologues also reveal him to see himself as being above the pack.

Episodes 4 - 5

* During his incarceration, due to the fact that Slimes are non-sentient creatures(think like Jellyfish) Kaido is curious about Rimur and asks him who he really is. Rimuru spins a tangent about actually being a magical girl who was cursed by a witch into being a Slime. Kaido pretends to go along with it, but it's clear he doesn't buy it. Matter gets dropped when the whole thing with the injured dwarves happens. This is only in the LN.

* The scene at the Smithing shop is a combination of both the LN and Manga. He acts smug and spits out the Magisteel in the LN and simply makes the swords in the manga. Here he does both. In the LN he asks to be left alone in a room while he makes the swords expecting it to take a few days and is SHOCKED he completes the whole order in 20 minutes. He steps out and acts like something went wrong only to troll them. He mentally notes that him being a dick like that is likely why he was always single and wonders why he always does that. The materials he used were also shown in that he ate 20 regular swords and fused them with the Magisteel he had.

* The Hostess Club scene is also a combo of both the LN and manga. The scene is the same in both, but only the manga has the Fortune Telling scene. Kaijin recognizes the woman as Shizue Izawa, a famous "Hero" of the guild who had been active for several years and has since retired into just training a new generation. Rimuru notes her name and ponders if she's Japanese like him.

* The episode is largely the same though it takes bits from both the manga and LN namely Kaijin's explanation of his and Bester's(eff it, I like this spelling better) relationship of having worked for the same knight corps with Kaijin as captain and Bester as subordinate and Bester resenting having to work for a commoner.

* A few things got left out thought in that Kaijin while unofficial, has a rank similar to a Baron and cites this as one of the reasons they weren't straight up executed.

* The reason why the "Magic Golem Project" was being done was also somewhat left out in that the engineer corps is seen as least impressive corps of the Kings court hence why Bester was so desperate for a success that he rushed the project which led to it's failure.

* The trial is pretty much the same aside from a few details. When they show Vesta the potion, they also show him one of the swords which is already fusing with the Magisteel core, a feat that normally takes YEARS. The king had tried to scry into Rimuru's mind, but was unable to get anything except surface thoughts due to blocking by "Great Sage". This bothers him since a sentient slime is already unusual, but one that can block his thoughts with the skills he's shown is unheard of.

That's about it for the differences. Now for mechanics explanations.

The series is a love letter to all the awesome fantasy JRPG's and anime of yore like Slayers, Record of Lodoss War, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, 'Tales of...', Disgaea, etc., and takes a lot of inspiration from those games.

* Monsters don't have names. While they CAN name each other it's not necessary and doing so requires a sacrifice of your own mana hence why they don't have names since too much could drain you to drat near death. How much mana is required depends on the monster(goblin - low, direwolf - moderate, ogre - high).

* Naming causes a monster to increase in power. How much depends on the quality of power of the namer. Rigur explains this that while his brother had a name, his evolution wasn't as pronounced as his own.

* Being given a Title/Job also boosts your stats and tends to push those stats to better suit that title/job.

* Certain "Titles" can only be acquired after major events.

* Titles like "Demon Lord" and "Hero" can only be bestowed or earned. While you CAN call yourself on of these, doing so is VERY ill advised as it'll attract VERY unwanted attention.

Now about "Skills"

* Unique Skills are like the Devil Fruits from One Piece. There are many different types with varying degrees of utility. The one thing they all have in common is that they're always OP and come as a sort of variety package. You can have more than as well so Rimuru is not unique in this regard.

* Extra Skills are less potent than "Unique Skills" but are equally varied and can be trained to be improved. Examples include "Water Manipulation" and "Heat Manipulation", and "Magic Sense".

* Battle Skills are exactly that. Skills used for battle. Stuff like the things he got from the monsters like "Sticky Thread", "Steel Thread", "Corrosive Breath", "Paralysis Breath".

* Daily Skills are skills that are always active. Compare to Luffy's rubber fruit where he is never not made of rubber. Examples include, "Magic Sense", "Supreme Smell", "Sense Heat".

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 1, 2019

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

You forgot to put in an end spoiler silly.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Grouchio posted:

You forgot to put in an end spoiler silly.

In this instance I think it's fine since it's all stuff everyone should be familiar with from watching the anime. The only stuff is that I'm including the cut content from the LN and manga. Also, is there a way to edit thread titles since the missing "D" is kind of annoying. Though it does open up the joke that it's the "D" from One Piece.

Also on alcohol,

He took a couple moments to savor it. I, on the other hand, took an immediate gulp. I could feel something hot burn through my throat as I imagined my head catching on fire. Sadly, it lasted for a mere instant.

Report. Poison resistance…successful.

Don’t succeed on that, man! Alcohol isn’t poison. Why doesn’t the Sage get that? I’ve made this lovely indulgence for myself, and I can’t even enjoy it. It was very depressing, but I’d just have to be content with seeing others cherish it instead. Nothing’s sadder than an exquisite liquor you can’t even get drunk off of.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
There will be another info dump incoming if all is cool with the previous one. Again, none of these are spoilers if you've been following the anime which I imagine has been the case for most people on here.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Now I wonder if the drink was poisoned and it didn't block the alcohol.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mordaedil posted:

Nah it's his own product hence why he's so bummed

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Now that this thread exists, lemme just say that (End of series spoilers): I'm jazzed about the ultimate big-bad in this series being a spoiled otaku who behaves like a "regular" isekai protagonist.

It's doubly funny since I guess Slime was one of the earliest isekai? So the subversion might be retroactive and completely unintentional.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Skippy McPants posted:

Now that this thread exists, lemme just say that (End of series spoilers): I'm jazzed about the ultimate big-bad in this series being a spoiled otaku who behaves like a "regular" isekai protagonist.

It's doubly funny since I guess Slime was one of the earliest isekai? So the subversion might be retroactive and completely unintentional.

Definetly One of the earliest, particularly in the reincarnated as non-human. When you put it like, that's some unintentional genius. I do think he's changed a few things though and that was one of them. The other was buffing certain people and adjusting power level gain so the power creep isn't as rough.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Cool, with this thread I can talk a little early about one of the two spin-off manga, Diary of That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. It's just a bunch of 4koma about daily life after the Orc incident. It's adorable.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Onean posted:

Cool, with this thread I can talk a little early about one of the two spin-off manga, Diary of That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. It's just a bunch of 4koma about daily life after the Orc incident. It's adorable.

I love that comic. There's an untranslated one where Shizu as a ghost in checking up on everything and sees Rimuru in a Bunny Outfit being chased by his retainers who want to dress him up more. Found it.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 1, 2019

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

Ok here's part of the promised info dump.

This is really cool. Have you posted it anywhere else? There's a couple of non-goons I'd like to show it to.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Onean posted:

All of these rule extremely hard but I extra-love the two I left in. Ranga being a cute puppy friend is extremely good, and I love the dress-up thing ... It hasn't really been in the anime so far but I hope they find a way to work in a joke or two about it. Even if not, at least we've got this goofy 4koma and the LN take.

Honestly, one of the things I dislike about the LNs is how much time Ranga spends literally hanging out in Rimuru's shadow. I know having him in every scene wouldn't make sense but it makes character analysis a little too on-the-nose - he's overshadowed! - and I just wish he was out helping the goblin riders and coming to Rimuru's side or something instead of the shadow thing.

Mordaedil posted:

Oh, and about this, I'm gonna answer out of spoilers since it's officially released stuff - doomrider already addressed that it's his own supply, but what's also entertaining is it's right after he gave a poison-nullifying glass as a gift. What that really makes me wonder is, if you used the nullify poison incantation on the glass, would it reduce the alcohol content ...?

And that long post is really great, thanks for the writeup doomrider! Only mods can edit thread titles after a thread is made and I don't wanna be an annoyance just yet because of my own mistake, lol.

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 1, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

A Tin Of Beans posted:

All of these rule extremely hard but I extra-love the two I left in. Ranga being a cute puppy friend is extremely good, and I love the dress-up thing ... It hasn't really been in the anime so far but I hope they find a way to work in a joke or two about it. Even if not, at least we've got this goofy 4koma and the LN take.

Honestly, one of the things I dislike about the LNs is how much time Ranga spends literally hanging out in Rimuru's shadow. I know having him in every scene wouldn't make sense but it makes character analysis a little too on-the-nose - he's overshadowed! - and I just wish he was out helping the goblin riders and coming to Rimuru's side or something instead of the shadow thing.

Oh, and about this, I'm gonna answer out of spoilers since it's officially released stuff - doomrider already addressed that it's his own supply, but what's also entertaining is it's right after he gave a poison-nullifying glass as a gift. What that really makes me wonder is, if you used the nullify poison incantation on the glass, would it reduce the alcohol content ...?

And that long post is really great, thanks for the writeup doomrider! Only mods can edit thread titles after a thread is made and I don't wanna be an annoyance just yet because of my own mistake, lol.

It's all good. I have a second write-up that explains episodes 6-9 including more details ob SHIZU'S back-story though the anime did such a good job that may not be necessary. It also explains a few things such as "Arts". Again, if you've played games like Tales of Symphonia or Vesperia, a lot of this stuff will seem REALLY familiar.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

It's all good. I have a second write-up that explains episodes 6-9 including more details ob SHIZU'S back-story though the anime did such a good job that may not be necessary. It also explains a few things such as "Arts". Again, if you've played games like Tales of Symphonia or Vesperia, a lot of this stuff will seem REALLY familiar.

I was really surprised how well Shizu's backstory was handled; honestly I liked the anime depiction of that better than the LN. The anime did make it a bit of an infodump but I think it worked better than the chapters interspersed in volume 1.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I was really surprised how well Shizu's backstory was handled; honestly I liked the anime depiction of that better than the LN. The anime did make it a bit of an infodump but I think it worked better than the chapters interspersed in volume 1.

I honestly liked both. The LN was more detailed and I liked how her story was told in intermission chapters. It gave it this odd feeling of wondering what her story was all about same to how people wondering what the bombing ib episode 1 was all about right til it makes sense when she appears. I did like that they combined the best parts of both the manga and LN though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The one thing I liked more about the anime was the interaction between Shizu and Rimuru. The story told was a bit more clearly laid out in the LN though. Also I totally missed that the thing under her eye was supposed to be a burn-scar until I picked up the light novel.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Ok here's the other infodump.

Episode 6

* The scene where the trio is giving their report is a bit more fleshed out in the LN where they note the lack of materials in the cave such as ore and herbs along with monsters that were supposed to be in there such as the Black Snake being gone along with Veldora.

* The scene where Shizu meets the trio to join them is largely unchanged from either of the two sources.

* The scene where Rimuru tests Black Lightning is mostly new since in the LN he tests the skill en route to Dwargon and in the manga here he does so when fighting the ants. In a later chapter it's shown that he DID show the upgraded form to Ranga. This is an expansion of that scene along with the Black Lightning test.

* The fight vs the ants is mostly from the manga with Shizu easily blasting the crap out of them until she collapses from her condition and the last one is blasted by Rimuru. Rimuru recognizes Shizu as the girl from the fortune telling(manga and anime only).

* The meeting between the trio and Shizu with Rimuru is a combination of both manga and LN. In the LN, the above scene with the ants was helped by the Goblin Rider guard and Rimuru first meets them at the tent. Here he formally meets them at tent with the bulk of the sequence being from the LN with only a few changes from the manga such as Shizu saying they can trust him(Shizu loses control here in the LN).

* The scene where Shizu and Rimur talk and reveal that their both other-worlders is from the manga albeit slightly different. In the manga, the discussion happens while riding on Ranga while here it's done while watching the sunset and it's much more fleshed out.

Shizu's Past

Now would be a good time to mention that most of Shizu's past wasn't in the manga and is MUCH more fleshed out in the LN with more internal monologues. This will shorten some of the explanations for episodes 7 and 8.

* Shizu develops a Unique Skill "Deviant/Degenerate" to prevent Ifrit from taking full on control.

* Shizu was trained by a captain of the guard simply called "The Black Knight" as part of her process to be groomed as Leon's bodyguard.

* The part where she inadvertently kills her friend caused a severe amount of trauma to her thus allowing Ifrit to exert more control making her akin to a passenger in her own body.

* The LN fleshes out things a bit more between the Hero and Shizu in that the Hero took Shizu to the guilds and her her educated and sort of raised her as a surrogate parent or elder sibling.

* After the parting ways with the Hero, Shizu begins working as "Champion" for the guild along with training newcomers including some who are other-wolders. One becomes a Templar Knight, the other Guild Grandmaster. The trio's Guildmaster was also a student and close personal friend of Shizu's with him having acquired his position from his father on her recommendation. She later takes on the job of school teacher for some other-world children.

* During a fight with a dragon(normal dragon, nothing like Veldora or his kin), she uses her fire attacks to vaporize it, but can feel she has little time left.

Episode 7

* In the LN and Manga respectively, Shizu loses control at the tent and during the ride with Ranga so the added material before she loses control in the anime is all new material.

* The entire fight is from the LN which is great since it's much cooler and more epic since the manga lacks the salamanders.

* Ifrit seeing Veldora is from the manga. The manga actually has a thing called Veldora's Observation Diary which recaps the events of the volume from his POV along with his day to day activities with Ifrit such as shogi and martial arts training from reading manga.

Episode 8

* This episode is a combination of both the manga and LN and is better for it.

* I'm so glad that they kept and even fleshed out the scene where Shizu runs to wards her mom(LN only).

* In the LN after getting healed, the trio leave needing to make their report with some parting gifts trusting Rimuru to take care of Shizu. The anime uses everything from the manga.

* The part where Rimuru made a grave for Shizu on the spot where they watched the sunset was new and great added touch.

* The scene with the orc and Gelmud is in both, but the scene is mostly from the manga. The LN does fleshes things out more, but I want to avoid spoilers.

Episode 9

* The Body Check scene is all manga and it's hilarious.

* The cave tests were the most condensed of the three mediums since it skips over pretty much all the details of his skill developments. It DOES explain what Shizu'z Unique Skill does in that it can separate and combine things(an ETERNALLY important new skill for Rimuru).

* In the LN it gets explained that other than his Unique Skills and Intrinsic Species Skill, Rimuru's skills are locked to their respective species and he can only use severely limited versions as a slime hence needing to transform into the respective creature to get the full benefit. Shizu's Unique Skill fixes this.

Unique Skill Degenerate's Use
- Rimuru sacrifices and combines both Fire Manipulation and Water Manipulation to create Particle Manipulation and Dark Flame using Degenrae and Predator.
- Resist Temperature upgrades to Cancel Temperature. The former is the full upgrade. heat and frost attacks no longer do ANYTHING to Rimuru.
- Dark Thunder is developed by linking Dark Lightning to Particle Manipulation.
- He aquired the Skill, "Ranged Barrier" from Ifrit which locks the heat inside a space cooking the enemy alive and can also be used to protect oneself. Rimuru cannot use these skills as Ifrit is a spirit being and uses his own body as a source of magicules. Degenerate fixes this.
- Using Degenerate, Rimuru separates Ranged Barrier and after some tweaking, relaunches it as Multilayer Barrier which protects him and is very cost effective(consumes 3mp vs 15mp regen or something to that effect).
- Rimuru tests the effectiveness of Multilayer Barrier by creating a clone with the barier and unleashing on it. He finds this distasteful since it's still a little girl clone. Changing it to a slime aliviates it somewhat("Still, slimes are cute and he's a good slime").

* As he's leaving the cave, all of the monsters in it give him a VERY wide berth.

* Rimuru gets the message for help upon exiting the cave.

* The LN actually opens up with Ranga having a mental monologue as the fight goes down.

* The fight with the ogres is pretty much the same, but closer to the LN in that he uses Dark Thunder to blow up a huge rock and his revelation as a slime is done later in the LN compared to ealier here in the manga and anime.

* The rest of the episode is pretty much the same.

Now on to things like Arts, Magic, monster tiers, and the world of Tensura(title in short).
Magic is concept based. You add magicules to create the thing you want hence the Icicle Lance attack used in episode 7 is basically just solidified magicules taking the shape of an icicle based on the concept of "cold" or removal of heat.
Arts are similar to Skills except these need to be learned and practiced, but don't require magicules to work. The old ogre who cuts Rimuru's arm off is an old master and used his arts to get past Rimuru's Magic Sense and cut through Multilayer Barrier by essentially coating his sword in something similar to Haki from One Piece.

Monster are tiered in a sort of caste system of power with the absolute weakest being slimes due to their lack of sentience making them akin to land jellyfish who simply feed on magicules from their surroundings. Goblins are a step up*, but are still weak and ranked as F Tier monsters and are both essentially harmless and benign in that they hold no hostility to other races and frequently trade with them via traveling Kobold(dog people) merchants or Dwargon. The evolved Hobgoblins and Goblinas are classified as a C rank species and as shown to be essentially green skinned humans for all intents and purposes. Direwolves are ranked as a C rank species as a pack and the now evolved ones as A- for a pack(B- for individuals) and B for Ranga alone. Ogres are a B species in power on top of being magic borne so they have natural intrinsic magic skills to use. Direwolves are similar albeit less so in that they feed off the magiclues of their surroundings to survive. Technically all monsters are magic borne, but those that are fully magic borne do not require food for sustenance and can simply survive by absorbing the magicules of their surroundings. Think like Superman who only needs yellow sunlight to survive and him eating is purely out of habit and enjoyment of the taste and sensation.

* This is an unusual issue in that they are a theoretical step up in danger since they're more sentient, but slime's are technically an E rank species above goblins due to having more magicules, but are non-hostile unless they're in habitats that lack magicules where they'll be VERY hostile since they'll need to actively hunt to stay alive. So yeah, even compared to slimes goblins had the short stick in terms of power.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 2, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Forgot to add another bit about Veldora and the sealed cave. Veldora radiates so much magicules that lesser beings and monsters cannot approach him since the sheer power would suffocate them. This is true of the cave itself. Anything short of C+ gets a terrible vertigo and begins to suffocate on the sheer density of the magicules. After such long exposure, some of the monsters became more powerful, most prominently the Black Snake which was ranked at B+ or A-. A normal slime would not be able to survive in the cave so it's theorized that Rimuru was at least at a very high rank(likely B+ or higher) when he met Veldora.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

LibrarianCroaker posted:

This is really cool. Have you posted it anywhere else? There's a couple of non-goons I'd like to show it to.

Sorry for the late response. I had posted an older unrevised version on RPG.net, but I can forward you the actual file.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 3, 2019

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm a bit worried that the core of the orc fight is going to be slightly lost in translation and the general jist is just going to come across as generic issekai overpowered protagonist, monster didn't stand a chance ordeal, when that isn't at all the case.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mordaedil posted:

I'm a bit worried that the core of the orc fight is going to be slightly lost in translation and the general jist is just going to come across as generic issekai overpowered protagonist, monster didn't stand a chance ordeal, when that isn't at all the case.

God I hope that's not the case.

Also, I FINALLY finished the fully edited and revised Tensura Infodump.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ub5f277eq2jt6qc/Tensura_Infodump_.docx/file

Edit: And just now I remembered that I forgot another detail to add. gently caress.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I don't think they'll mess it up. They've been doing quite well so far, so I don't see them messing it up now.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
A lot of the draw of the fight is how outclassed Rimuru actually is, until he uses his natural skill. This is communicated heavily through internal dialogue, which isn't as easy to communicate in animation.

But for all I know, they will take a different route entirely.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

God I hope that's not the case.

Also, I FINALLY finished the fully edited and revised Tensura Infodump.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ub5f277eq2jt6qc/Tensura_Infodump_.docx/file

Edit: And just now I remembered that I forgot another detail to add. gently caress.

Cool, thanks!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I'm not sure if people downloaded the info dump so I'll post the new stuff on here.

quote:

Episode 9
* The Body Check scene is all manga and it's hilarious.
* The manga also has a scene where Haruna gushes over how cute Rimuru's human form is while taking his measurements. Garm is very awkward during the whole thing and gives Rimuru a temp set of clothes.
* Rigurd is now the Goblin King with his son Rigur being the chief of the villages security alongside Gobta. There are also now four Goblin Lords; Rugurd, Regurd, Rogurd, and Ririna. They are in charge of Justice, Legislation, Administration, and Production respectively. Ririna frequently joins Haruna, Shion, and Shuna is dressing up Rimuru.
* The LN goes into more detail about the towns construction. Rimuru was VERY adamant about adding a working sewage system and toilets, because yeah no. Even if he can't smell and has no need to use the bathroom, you gotta have working toilets man.
* The boob joke is different. Something about "being closer" and Gobta saying that he prefers a bit curvier. Rimuru shellacks him all the same.
* The cave tests were the most condensed of the three mediums since it skips over pretty much all the details of his skill developments. It DOES explain what Shizu'z Unique Skill does in that it can separate and combine things(an ETERNALLY important new skill for Rimuru).
* There's also an explanation about the "Worlds of the World". Great Sage uses the speech function of the "Words of the World" to communicate. Everyone can hear it, but it only activates when a major trancendental event occurs in your life such as gaining a new skill or evolving. Most go their entire existance without ever experienceing this event and it's considered to be akin to a divine revelation.
* In the LN it gets explained that other than his Unique Skills and Intrinsic Species Skill, Rimuru's skills are locked to their respective species and he can only use severely limited versions as a slime hence needing to transform into the respective creature to get the full benefit. Shizu's Unique Skill fixes this.

Shizu Skill - Degenerate
- Synthesize/Unification: Transform two differing targets into a single object.
- Separate/Separation: Release the properties inherent to the target and make it into a separate object.

Unique Skill Degenerate's Use
- Rimuru sacrifices and combines both Fire Manipulation and Water Manipulation to create Particle Manipulation and Dark Flame using Degenrate and Predator.
- Resist Temperature upgrades to Cancel Temperature. The former is the full upgrade. heat and frost attacks no longer do ANYTHING to Rimuru.
- Dark Thunder is developed by linking Dark Lightning to Particle Manipulation.
- Intrinsic Slime Skills Dissolve, Absorb, and Regenrate are sacrificed in exchange for Ultraspeed Regeneration. Some of the aspects of the lost skills are folded into Predator.
- He aquired the Skill, "Ranged Barrier" from Ifrit which locks the heat inside a space cooking the enemy alive and can also be used to protect oneself. Rimuru cannot use these skills as Ifrit is a spirit being and uses his own body as a source of magicules. Degenerate fixes this.
- Using Degenerate, Rimuru separates Ranged Barrier and after some tweaking, relaunches it as Multilayer Barrier which protects him and is very cost effective(consumes 3mp vs 15mp regen or something to that effect).
- Rimuru tests the effectiveness of Multilayer Barrier by creating a clone with the barier and unleashing on it. He finds this distasteful since it's still a little girl clone. Changing it to a slime aliviates it somewhat("Still, slimes are cute and he's a good slime").

* As he's leaving the cave, all of the monsters in it give him a VERY wide berth.
* Rimuru gets the message for help upon exiting the cave.
* The LN actually opens up with Ranga having a mental monologue as the fight goes down.
* The fight with the ogres is pretty much the same, but closer to the LN in that he uses Dark Thunder to blow up a huge rock and his revelation as a slime is done later in the LN compared to ealier here in the manga and anime.
* The rest of the episode is pretty much the same.

Episode 10
* The scene with the party is the same. The LN has Rimuru amazed at how much better the food was since he was expecting something simpler, but the goblins have learned how to better use herbs, spices, and fruits to make sauces.
* The scene where Rimuru passes out is a bit different and is likely due to a mistranslation(more on this in a bit) as he doesn't pass out after naming Benimaru, but after naming all of them.
* In the LN, the Ogres do not know that Rimuru is a slime yet. They find out when they see him pass out.
* All of the Kijin learn new skills defitting their roles in combat.
- Souei learns Steel Thread, Shadow Movement, and Clone
- Benimaru learns Hell Flare Flame Control
- Kurobee learns Researcher(Unique Skill that facillitates production)
- Shuna learn Analyst(Unique Skill that allows appraisal and instant recognition)
- Shion learns Strengthen Body and Steel Strenght
- Hakurou also learns Strengthen Body along with Hasten Thought
* There is a mistranslation on the Lizardman report. When the female lizardman says twice the amount, it's supposed to be TWENTY TIMES the amount of slodiers.
- Orc Army is 200k
- Lizardmen Army is 10k
* Rest of the episode is largely as is.

Episode 11
* In the LN it was tea not soup.
* In the LN, Gobta mentions swimming across a river before waking up with Poison Resitance.
* In the LN it's brought up that the concept of maps is unknown to the monsters and are treated as national secrets by most nations that have them. Paper is also a VERY rare commodity so all things are drawn and written on wooden tablets.
* The unknown goblins around the table are the new Goblin Lords mentioned previously.
* The rest of the episode is largely the same.

Episode 12
* Drayds are closest remaining link to the lost fairies who left for the Spirit World well over a few centuries to maybe even a millenium or two ago.
* Traynee's human form is an etheral form she uses when manifesting hersefl before people. Her real body is in the Sacred Grove of the Treants far away from prying eyes.
* In terms of magicules, Treynee is powerful enough to match the Orc Lord, but the disparity in compabt ability and the Orc Lord having several Generals would make the fight a VERY dangerous one.
* In both the LN and Manga, Souei relates a message from Rimuru to, "watch his back" during the treaty. Other than that, the scene is largely the same.
* The Mangas has the now famous, "Dress Up" scene where Rimuru is dressed up in a goth loli outfit by Shuna, Shion, Ririna and Haruna. Garm sees him in the outfit and it causes him to have a crisis of faith and mutter, "I only have eyes for Shuna" over and over again to himself.
* There's also a scene where Rimuru gives a rousing speech in his Slime form while riding a palanquin. He finds the experience exgarrated and unpleasant given how self-concious he feels about everything.
* There were members of the Lizardman Clan who disliked the more Fabian Strategy being employed for largely the same reasons the Roman's did when they fought Hannibal. It's seen as cowardly.
* Rest of the episode is the same.
Orc Lord Skill - Starved
- Chaos Eater: Summons a collection of yellow tinted shadow snakes that corrode and eat the target.
- Food Chain: Abilities and attributes of monsters consumed are spread out between your followers, but only at 20% efficiency(Ogre Strength, but no Ogre Flames; Lizard webbed fit and scales, but no Sense Heat).

Episode 13
* The Chieftan tragically muses how Gabil's bravado is misplaced and how while he feels the lizardmen are doomed, it's not fair for his comrades who trusted him(Rimuru's group) to get sucked into this.
* A scene that was ommitted was how the female lizardman escaped via help from her dad the chieftan.
* The fight between the Lizard Captain and the Orc General is slightly different. Souei is told to leave the General alive which he does. While discussing things with the Lizard Captain, the Orc General gets up and stands in attention ready to attack. Shion then casually vaporizes him with her sword attack and stares smiling at Rimuru waiting for a compliment. Rimuru is displeased since he wanted to interrogate him.
* The scene in the jail with the Chieftan was different as well. Things go to poo poo badly and the orcs are breaking into the passageways leading to where the noncombatants are(women, children, elderly). The Chieftan senses this and tells the guards to release them and help everyone escape while he buys them time.
* Rimuru has been mentally preparing the strategies to use vs the Orc Army in various details in his head and is VERY anxious about the coming battle. The Kijin are very at easeand casual.
* Rimuru is stunned petrified by how powerful his people are and thinks to himself how his people's attacks basically redefine what warfare looks like or what it even is.
* Rest of the episode is the same.

Now on to things like Skills, Arts, Magic, monster tiers, and the world of Tensura(title in short).
The series is a love letter to all the awesome fantasy JRPG's and anime of yore like Slayers, Record of Lodoss War, Heroic Legend of Arslan, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, 'Tales of...', Nipponverse series(notably Disgaea and Makaing Kingdom), Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire, etc., and takes a lot of inspiration from those games.

*Skills
- Unique Skills are like the Devil Fruits from One Piece. There are many different types with varying degrees of utility. The one thing they all have in common is that they're always OP and come as a sort of variety package. You can have more than as well so Rimuru is not unique in this regard.
- Extra Skills are less potent than "Unique Skills" but are equally varied and can be trained to be improved. Examples include "Water Manipulation" and "Heat Manipulation", and "Magic Sense".
- Battle Skills are exactly that. Skills used for battle. Stuff like the things he got from the monsters like "Sticky Thread", "Steel Thread", "Corrosive Breath", "Paralysis Breath".
- Daily Skills are skills that are always active. Compare to Luffy's rubber fruit where he is never not made of rubber. Examples include, "Magic Sense", "Supreme Smell", "Sense Heat", "Herculean Strength", "Hasten Thought".
- There is a lot of overlap with the skills and they can all fall into various categories with the exception being "Unique Skills" which there are only ever one version of in existance and come as variety packages.

* Magic
- Spirit-Based Magic: Allows you to either borrow or summon spirits and use their power. Former requires simply being liked, the latter requires and actual pact.
- Elemental-Based Magic: Is "an idea projected into reality". You add magicules to create the thing you want hence the Icicle Lance attack used in episode 7 is basically just solidified magicules taking the shape of an icicle based on the concept of "cold" or removal of heat. Causes both elemental and spirit damage.

* Arts are similar to Skills except these need to be learned and practiced, but don't require magicules to work. The old ogre who cuts Rimuru's arm off is an old master and used his arts to get past Rimuru's Magic Sense and cut through Multilayer Barrier by essentially coating his sword in something similar to Haki from One Piece. Stuff like shooting beams of energy from your sword LoZ style would be here, ditto for Kabal's "Barrier" and Gido's "Stealth".

* Monsters
- Monsters are tiered in a sort of caste system of power with the absolute weakest being slimes due to their lack of sentience making them akin to land jellyfish who simply feed on magicules from their surroundings.
- Goblins are a step up, but are still weak and ranked as F Tier monsters and both largely harmless and benign in that they hold no hostility to other races and frequently trade with them via traveling Kobold(dog people) merchants or Dwargon The evolved Hobgoblins and Goblinas are classified as a C rank species and as shown to be essentially green skinned humans for all intents and purposes.
- Direwolves are ranked as a C rank species as a pack and the now evolved ones as A- for a pack and B for Ranga alone with the other members being B- or so.
- Ogres are a B species in general on top of being magic borne so they have natural intrinsic magic skills and use. As Kijin they're ranked A.
- Orcs are a D rank species, but when under the effects of "Starved" they get bumped up to C+ on top of getting buff's from whatever monsters they kill and eat.
- Lizardmen are a C rank species. This difference in rank(on top of being named) is why Gabil BADLY underestimated his odds.
- - Monsters don't have names. While they CAN name each other it's not necessary and doing so requires a sacrifice of your own mana hence why they don't have names since too much could drain you to drat near death. How mana is required depends on the monster(goblin - low, direwolf - moderate, ogre - high).
- Naming causes a monster to increase in power. How much depends on the quality of power of the namer. Rigur explains this that while his brother had a name, his evolution wasn't as pronounced as his own.

* Titles
- Being given a Title/Job also boosts your stats and tends to push those stats to better suit that title/job.
- Certain "Titles" can only be acquired after major events.
- Titles like "Demon Lord" and "Hero" can only be bestowed or earned. While you CAN call yourself on of these, doing so is VERY ill advised as it'll attract VERY unwanted attention if not ouright divine retribution.

* World of Tensura
- There are also a number of other goblins that show up as background characters in the manga from time to time as well particularly a loli one with a puffy bear ear hat with a bird that looks like Piwi from Helck riding on it, the stout bald goblin who is the town grilling master, a dim looking goblin(you know the one), and a few others.
- Rimuru comments on how the ogres clothes and weapons are so different and they answer that some 400 years ago while they were still a wild race, their ancestors made contact with some injured humans carrying and wearing strange arms and clothes. The ogres not being so low as to attack the injured took care of them and in return, the injured humans taught them their arts of war, weapons crafting, clothes making. Rimuru speculates that they may have been otherworlders.
- Rimuru(and by extention Ifrit's) and Benimaru's fire skills are VERY hot. As in hot enough to glass the earth it's performed on. The reason Rimuru survived it is because Ifrit hosed up by running Flare Circle as a wide AoE rather than concentrating it. Rimuru mentally notes that if Ifrit had made the barrier smaller and the flare circle more concentrated, his "Resist Temperature" skill would have been useless. Benimaru's "Ogre Flame" Skill is a lesser version. Still powerful enough to glass the earth though. Hell Flare is a SIGNIFICANT jump in power capable of vaporizing enemies bones and all(need to be at least 3700C to do this) while still being a MASSIVE AoE attack. Condensed into a smaller space, it reaches well over the Hundreds of Millions in Degrees(eat it Ragu o Ragla).
- The world of Tensura is VERY big. I gauged the distance from Rimuru's Village to Dwargon and the he trip distance as measured using traveling speed and time spent traveling has yielded results varying from 600+ miles, 1000+ miles, to even 2400+ miles. Needs revision as the calculations change as travel methods and time alter.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 4, 2019

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Okay so how did the newest episode handle the Orc Lord fight?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Grouchio posted:

Okay so how did the newest episode handle the Orc Lord fight?

It was good.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Very few changes, only things that they changed as far as I could tell was just to earn a chuckle from me in Rimuru correcting the Great Sage function.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mordaedil posted:

Very few changes, only things that they changed as far as I could tell was just to earn a chuckle from me in Rimuru correcting the Great Sage function.

Yeah this though I think that might have been in the LN. I posted my further thoughts in the other thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870324&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=25

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
From my info source of how Slime is doing in Japan.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TenseiSlime/comments/ads5c5/tensura_huge_banner_hanging_in_front_of_koudansha/?st=jqniknh2&sh=7ca14f41

In this news article:

* It was Koudansha comic & light novel department’s plan to adapt the LN into manga even when the LN is not published by them.

* Anime was originally also included in the same plan to help boost the manga. I guess they were happily surprised when a 3rd party (Bandai Namco Arts) approached them with the same idea before they put their anime (advertisement) plan into action.
the manga broke Koudansha’s own record of monthly digital sales after the anime aired. Previous record holder is Attack on Titan.

* Manga volume 1 to 9 has re-printed 1.6 million copies in total since October to meet increasing demands.

Everything about this makes me so loving happy. It's like one of those rags to riches type of stories where you just write a novel kind of just because and then you watch it grow into this huge thing that everyone loves. The fact that Kodansha themselves wanted to adapt the series even though they didn't own it is really big news given they basically picked something from the outside that they don't own or control the rights to make into a manga over stuff that they DO own and control to an extent. That's crazy. The [art about the series breaking AoT's sales record is also crazy wild too given how big that series is and how long it's been going enough to establish a strong brand. the last part I had already heard of and makes me laugh. Even Kodansha was caught off guard and had to ramp up sales.

Blue Hair Isekai Trio

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 8, 2019

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

@Doomrider: Who's Rem? :getin:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

* Manga volume 1 to 9 has re-printed 1.6 million copies in total since October to meet increasing demands.

Everything about this makes me so loving happy. It's like one of those rags to riches type of stories where you just write a novel kind of just because and then you watch it grow into this huge thing that everyone loves. The fact that Kodansha themselves wanted to adapt the series even though they didn't own it is really big news given they basically picked something from the outside that they don't own or control the rights to make into a manga over stuff that they DO own and control to an extent. That's crazy. The [art about the series breaking AoT's sales record is also crazy wild too given how big that series is and how long it's been going enough to establish a strong brand. the last part I had already heard of and makes me laugh. Even Kodansha was caught off guard and had to ramp up sales.

This is such great news to hear, I'm really happy!

I was thinking of buying paper copies of the LNs to go with my Bookwalker DRM versions, or maybe the manga, but the local-ish anime store had sold out despite ordering multiple copies of all for the holidays. I was pretty pleasantly surprised to find that out. Not statistical data like yours or anything, but a nice little anecdote that supports it, albeit in the states instead.

I've read some really boring garbage isekai, so it's nice to see such a cute/charming one doing so well! It's the story of a humble slime becoming a leader ... in sales! :allears:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

A Tin Of Beans posted:

This is such great news to hear, I'm really happy!

I was thinking of buying paper copies of the LNs to go with my Bookwalker DRM versions, or maybe the manga, but the local-ish anime store had sold out despite ordering multiple copies of all for the holidays. I was pretty pleasantly surprised to find that out. Not statistical data like yours or anything, but a nice little anecdote that supports it, albeit in the states instead.

I've read some really boring garbage isekai, so it's nice to see such a cute/charming one doing so well! It's the story of a humble slime becoming a leader ... in sales! :allears:

Kind of want to buy the physical editions, but I don't have the storage place for them all. When I have a chance, I'll forward you some great feel good Isekai. I mean I like them, though they're all SoL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
New Chapters came out.

Return of the fortune teller was nice as was the hot chocolate scene. That was really cute. Also, RAMIRI'S!!!