Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gyges posted:

Reading through the LNs and once again I'm wondering, when the composition of the Tempest army comes up, where did all these new ogres come from? I know it mentions wild ogres but it also mentions kids from the ogre village. I thought they were essentially eradicated except for Benimaru's group, and now there's 300 more of them.

Orc Lord and Harvest Festival events. But basically, all of the surviving goblins(some 4k to 5k) joined and were named after the Orc Lord event and joined Benimaru and developed various flame based skills and resistances. The subsequent Harvest Festival caused a number or goblins to evolve into ogres as part of their transcendent evolution. I think the kids thing is a typo and in fact is supposed to refer to the first few generations of goblins that joined Rimuru's group. The Kijin/Oni evolved into Charming Oni/Youki effectively making them spiritual life forms not to dissimilar to Ifrit or Veldora I believe though I'll need to confirm all of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Ah, that makes sense. I forgot evolution in this isn't really straightforward. It's like a weird self wished lamarckian evolution that's tied into the wishes of your superiors as well.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It's how the lizard princess turned into a shinobi waifu.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gyges posted:

Ah, that makes sense. I forgot evolution in this isn't really straightforward. It's like a weird self wished lamarckian evolution that's tied into the wishes of your superiors as well.

OK I'm absolutely loving terrible at expressing myself in any kind of capacity so please bear with me and I don't pretend to know 100% what I'm talking about, so this is just my interpretation and parsing of the material being presented.

But yes It's a complex wish of what the name granter and yourself want. Souka became more human, but that's more an extension of it being that Souei is very human looking while her brother became more dragon looking since that's his ideal form. The drgona Worshippers actually talk about this very fact when questioned by Gabil since they used to look like him, but evolved to look more akin to Milim that is to say more humanoid with draconic features on command similar to Souka. They theorize that they can swap shapes, but neither really has a desire for that. So basically it's what Rimuru thinks of combined with what they think of as power looking like.

The goblins turning into ogres is similar to the Orc Lord thing. Every once in century (or insert long rear end loving time of choice) a lucky hobgob will evolve into an ogre after absorbing enough magicules/mana*. Some had actually developed fire manipulation and resistance as hobgob from watching Benimaru's displays and being desirous for that kind of power.

* This is an explanation for both of the asterisks since they're somewhat related. Evolution isn't static. This is due to the existence of magicules/mana. The "monsters" Rimuru ran into in the Sealed Cave were likely not originally monsters AT ALL, but just normal fauna that absorbed magicules and "spawned". So instead of a regular black snake, it's a "Black Storm Snake", regular bat becomes a "Giant Bat", etc. These would be called "Magic Beasts". They're still for all intents and purposes animals, but now magic infused and thus MUCH larger and sometimes with elements based on their environment(giant polar bear that breaths frost, tigers with sonic boom roars, laser panthers) . The issues arise that the bulk of humanity sees no difference between these magic beasts and sentient monsters. So while goblins might be benign and at worst cheeky bastards who steal your watermelons or pumpkins(side-story Gobta's Big Adventure), they're not really a threat or note, but humanity is not gonna be keen on that so they'll be treated as if they were animals who vaguely look like green humans. Compare and contrast to how Fishmen are treated in One Piece(up til about a century or so, they were just classified as another type of fish and thus not afforded any kinds of human rights). This gets brought up in the design of barriers to keep "Magic Beasts" out of the traveling roads to keep people safe since Veldora being back means that his aura is out again and the sheer mana he gives out could cause more monsters to "spawn" and I read somewhere that it gets further fleshed out in LN's 8 or 9 about the concept of demi-humans or something.

Again, I'm bad at expressing myself and this is my sort of... Take(?) of things. That and I drank some bourbon, Sangria, Irish cream, and triple sec soy brain feels a certain type of way.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Interview with FUSE Sensei about how a Slime came about.

https://tensurafan.home.blog/2019/06/02/fuse-interview-volume-8-5/

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Interview with Mitz Vah

https://tensurafan.home.blog/2019/06/06/mitz-vah-interview-volume-8-5/

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Are there no groups doing translations of the manga? I'm kind of surprised that a series this popular appears to take so long for a scanalation.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gyges posted:

Are there no groups doing translations of the manga? I'm kind of surprised that a series this popular appears to take so long for a scanalation.

The latest chapter raws dropped just a few days ago. Kodansha is LITERALLY grooming this series to be their successor for FT and 7 Deadly Sins when those are gone if not outright supplant them so they're a lot more uptight with stuff I think. Otherwise...Yeah. It's so weird since a series this popular and highly followed(second most followed having lost out to Solo Leveling) you'd think it would have people picking it up. Even the efforts with the spinoffs are hit and miss with right now it being a solo effort. No real clue why.

By the way, if you read it already, what are your thoughts on LN7 and its happenings and revelations? That one is the divergence point from the WN and LN.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
LN 7 stuff

I like most of the changes. The church seems more real with different factions and less hierarchical malice turned toward Tempest. Hinata's motivations are also improved since bad intel led her to her original actions and she quickly realizes that that was a mistake. Yuuki was way too OP in the WN with his brainwashing abilities basically tricking Hinata into the attack. There was a reasonable nature to her just taking his word for it in the WN, but it still kind of hamstrung her character and made her less complex than in the LN. Especially since it was always kind of weird that Hinata wouldn't find it odd that Yuuki didn't take on Rimuru since Shizu was also his mentor.

I also like the expansion on the 7 Sages that turned them from faking vampires into assholes who are grifting the system into decline. It also helps explain why the Eastern Empire both seems to always want to invade but also didn't in the centuries before Valdora got imprisoned in Jura. The once good sages corrupted things and kept it from Ruminas, who didn't notice because there was no real external threat.

The other worlders also made Farmas less of a bunch of bumbling assholes and more into greedy dickwads who had a legitimate reason to think they could steamroll a city of named monsters. It also tied in the magic dude from the Eastern Kingdom more, so it was less of a "Oh, Hey I'm Important" turn when he shows up as it was in the WN. The interrogation of the 3 survivors seemed to work better in the LN too. Rimuru doing it in deliberately in the WN seemed out of character, since he already rezzed everyone and isn't really the type to hold a grudge. Having it be a byproduct of delegating the task to Shion worked better.

I'm not sure whether or not Diablo being in charge of making a new Falmas was better or not. I liked his story, especially when he finally got to cut loose and everyone poo poo their pants in terror when they realized who he was. The explicit confirmation that he was a Primordal instead of the implied nature of the WN was good. But, I kind of preferred the "realism" of it taking years in the WN to the weeks/months in the LN.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about The Moderate Clown Troupe changes though. They were always secret powerhouses, but Laplace killing an ancient vampire demonlord seemed out of place. Not that he couldn't possibly do it, but that it was so easy. Dude's a monster, but he shouldn't be able to absolutely stomp an ancient vampire/legit demon lord just because it's a new moon. Especially if Hinata is too much for him and he's deep into the vampire base. It's not bad, and their stated reasoning is good enough, I just prefer how they did it in the WN. The twist that the Moderate Clowns were actually among the most powerful people around worked real well when the entire story up until then was them working from the sidelines and implying they were strong but not super strong.

Yuuki not really doing anything I'm fine with, same with the current changes to Kazaream. Possessing an elf lady isn't really any different than having a homunculus shell. We'll see if there's any real changes to the two, it's too early to tell though.

The tighter ties with the Beastmen was also good, and helped showcase how Rimuru is a good dude, helping out people as best he can. It also, in addition to the other information that Farmas had, helped to also strengthen their case for war. Rimuru is totally well known as powerful, even before awakening, but his general nature of being a cool dude looking to avoid conflict helps sell why other nations would think they might be able to push him around.

It seems like the Tengu village got it's location moved from the WN, and the light changes to the various inhabitants of Jura suddenly being in the territory of a demon lord seems like it's going in a parallel but more interesting direction as the WN when everyone shows up to parlay with Rimuru.

So far though I'm really not a fan of the secret Illuminati Russo family. Right now they seem shoehorned in to provide a new enemy when it isn't really needed. Maybe they'll get better eventually, but right now they seem redundant and also needlessly complicated. The Western Alliance counsel thing was complicated enough with it being filled with rear end in a top hat nobles from the various Western Nations without making them all secretly related in a familial global conspiracy that seems kind of half baked. Right now it's kind of merging Yuuki and Eastern Kingdom motivations into a new player who isn't really adding anything. Also having a double spy in the one girl who's one of the Holy Knights when the head of the Russos was also the head of the 7 Celestials was kind of pointless and seemed just there for the twist of Russo being behind the Celestial corruption, which was also unnecessary. Decades and decades of power corrupting them seemed like it was more than enough motivation.

It's good that Ranga got more to do and that he got to play with some toys.

Edit: Did they change it to Beretta to being part of Diablo's family or is he under one of the other Primordials? I didn't quite catch what he and Guy were talking about on that part.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 7, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gyges posted:

LN 7 stuff

I like most of the changes. The church seems more real with different factions and less hierarchical malice turned toward Tempest. Hinata's motivations are also improved since bad intel led her to her original actions and she quickly realizes that that was a mistake. Yuuki was way too OP in the WN with his brainwashing abilities basically tricking Hinata into the attack. There was a reasonable nature to her just taking his word for it in the WN, but it still kind of hamstrung her character and made her less complex than in the LN. Especially since it was always kind of weird that Hinata wouldn't find it odd that Yuuki didn't take on Rimuru since Shizu was also his mentor.

I also like the expansion on the 7 Sages that turned them from faking vampires into assholes who are grifting the system into decline. It also helps explain why the Eastern Empire both seems to always want to invade but also didn't in the centuries before Valdora got imprisoned in Jura. The once good sages corrupted things and kept it from Ruminas, who didn't notice because there was no real external threat.

The other worlders also made Farmas less of a bunch of bumbling assholes and more into greedy dickwads who had a legitimate reason to think they could steamroll a city of named monsters. It also tied in the magic dude from the Eastern Kingdom more, so it was less of a "Oh, Hey I'm Important" turn when he shows up as it was in the WN. The interrogation of the 3 survivors seemed to work better in the LN too. Rimuru doing it in deliberately in the WN seemed out of character, since he already rezzed everyone and isn't really the type to hold a grudge. Having it be a byproduct of delegating the task to Shion worked better.

I'm not sure whether or not Diablo being in charge of making a new Falmas was better or not. I liked his story, especially when he finally got to cut loose and everyone poo poo their pants in terror when they realized who he was. The explicit confirmation that he was a Primordal instead of the implied nature of the WN was good. But, I kind of preferred the "realism" of it taking years in the WN to the weeks/months in the LN.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about The Moderate Clown Troupe changes though. They were always secret powerhouses, but Laplace killing an ancient vampire demonlord seemed out of place. Not that he couldn't possibly do it, but that it was so easy. Dude's a monster, but he shouldn't be able to absolutely stomp an ancient vampire/legit demon lord just because it's a new moon. Especially if Hinata is too much for him and he's deep into the vampire base. It's not bad, and their stated reasoning is good enough, I just prefer how they did it in the WN. The twist that the Moderate Clowns were actually among the most powerful people around worked real well when the entire story up until then was them working from the sidelines and implying they were strong but not super strong.

Yuuki not really doing anything I'm fine with, same with the current changes to Kazaream. Possessing an elf lady isn't really any different than having a homunculus shell. We'll see if there's any real changes to the two, it's too early to tell though.

The tighter ties with the Beastmen was also good, and helped showcase how Rimuru is a good dude, helping out people as best he can. It also, in addition to the other information that Farmas had, helped to also strengthen their case for war. Rimuru is totally well known as powerful, even before awakening, but his general nature of being a cool dude looking to avoid conflict helps sell why other nations would think they might be able to push him around.

It seems like the Tengu village got it's location moved from the WN, and the light changes to the various inhabitants of Jura suddenly being in the territory of a demon lord seems like it's going in a parallel but more interesting direction as the WN when everyone shows up to parlay with Rimuru.

So far though I'm really not a fan of the secret Illuminati Russo family. Right now they seem shoehorned in to provide a new enemy when it isn't really needed. Maybe they'll get better eventually, but right now they seem redundant and also needlessly complicated. The Western Alliance counsel thing was complicated enough with it being filled with rear end in a top hat nobles from the various Western Nations without making them all secretly related in a familial global conspiracy that seems kind of half baked. Right now it's kind of merging Yuuki and Eastern Kingdom motivations into a new player who isn't really adding anything. Also having a double spy in the one girl who's one of the Holy Knights when the head of the Russos was also the head of the 7 Celestials was kind of pointless and seemed just there for the twist of Russo being behind the Celestial corruption, which was also unnecessary. Decades and decades of power corrupting them seemed like it was more than enough motivation.

It's good that Ranga got more to do and that he got to play with some toys.

Edit: Did they change it to Beretta to being part of Diablo's family or is he under one of the other Primordials? I didn't quite catch what he and Guy were talking about on that part.

Beretta is part of the same family as Diablo hence being less interested in power and more into knowledge and experiences of life. have some further thoughts and comments, but am slaving away for company profit so that'll have to wait.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 8, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
OK I'm back and can do a deeper thoughts thing.

I like all of the changes that I recall from between the WN stuff that I had read to the LN stuff now. The changes from Kazaream possessing an elf lady to it being a homonculus are actually great changes ditto for the Russo family since those tie in to future changes in the LN narrative by expanding things. The former by making it clear that the Socery Dynasty of Sarion has the knowledge and magitech to actually do things like clones and homunculi and the Russo family ties into an expansion of the Tensura world and its politics(the latter factor greatly in the upcoming and later books). I also really liked that they greatly emphasized the isekai concept and how that's shaped the world at large with some countries still only having medieval to maybe rennissance tech, others steam punk magitech, and others still working on industrial era tech and having things like firearms and how otherworlders greatly come and go in terms of impact and alliances.

I also liked the beastkin thing as well which should get even further expanded in the Trinity spinoff ditto for the stuff about the Dragon Worshippers. I especially liked the part where Rimuru takes time to contemplate how to best tackle the issue of how to help the Dragon Worshippers better tend and cater to Milim's needs and wants while also adhering to their personal beliefs systems and culture(these get touched on in some recent chapters of Slime Diaries and in one of the side stories) .

There are a few other details as well that are setups for later events, but that can wait.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 8, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
New Chapter is out.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/635579/1

Thanks Captain Invictus for sharing this.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Trinity

https://mangadex.org/chapter/636173/1

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
LN 7

I just remembered a little addition in the LN that I really like. After everyone starts hearing the cover story of the destruction of the Falmas army, they largely display their arrogant stupidity. Since his birth Valdora has been an effectively unstoppable force of nature. But they hear that Rimuru talked him into being cool and suddenly everyone thinks they can too.

You'd think that that would be the big, flashing, giant arrow that the story wasn't on the up and up, but nope. Totally going to be the second being in recorded history to talk Valdora out of rampaging.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gyges posted:

LN 7

I just remembered a little addition in the LN that I really like. After everyone starts hearing the cover story of the destruction of the Falmas army, they largely display their arrogant stupidity. Since his birth Valdora has been an effectively unstoppable force of nature. But they hear that Rimuru talked him into being cool and suddenly everyone thinks they can too.

You'd think that that would be the big, flashing, giant arrow that the story wasn't on the up and up, but nope. Totally going to be the second being in recorded history to talk Valdora out of rampaging.

I saw that as them being in the denial/bargain stage of grief. I did like that the king, mage, and bishop and straight up noped that right the gently caress out as a possibility. I also liked that they all kept name dropping "The Hero, Shining Masayuki" as this big tough guy who'd succeed where Hinata failed.

A few other things I liked where some changes to the relationship between that one Cardinal guy and Hinata where it comes off less skeevy if you will than in the WN and I also liked Hinata and Co.'s trip to Tempest. As you read you can definitely see where they start realizing everything was a terrible mistake and idea that they need to clean up and unfuck up ASAP.

Also, Manga 10 is out in the wild at your local fave bookstore of choice or online retailer.

Good LORD is Veldora such a loving chuuni manchild. Like... WOW!!! A loving allowance and threats of "Deviant behavior and running away to be an adventurer" if refused?

😆😆😆

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 8, 2019

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ran out of manga, where does one read the LN?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

doomrider7 posted:

I saw that as them being in the denial/bargain stage of grief. I did like that the king, mage, and bishop and straight up noped that right the gently caress out as a possibility. I also liked that they all kept name dropping "The Hero, Shining Masayuki" as this big tough guy who'd succeed where Hinata failed.

A few other things I liked where some changes to the relationship between that one Cardinal guy and Hinata where it comes off less skeevy if you will than in the WN and I also liked Hinata and Co.'s trip to Tempest. As you read you can definitely see where they start realizing everything was a terrible mistake and idea that they need to clean up and unfuck up ASAP.

It's not quite that though, because Falmas guys aren't the only people doing it.What's his name from Cerberus thinks he can totally bargain with Veldora too. Also don't the Russo people mention it too?

But yes, pretty much every single change to the Church and it's members was a total improvement.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Rody One Half posted:

You can buy it up to LN5 and there's a fan translation of LN's 6 and 7, but for those you're need to cat laugh.

Gyges posted:

It's not quite that though, because Falmas guys aren't the only people doing it.What's his name from Cerberus thinks he can totally bargain with Veldora too. Also don't the Russo people mention it too?

But yes, pretty much every single change to the Church and it's members was a total improvement.

I'll need to check some of that out since The Eastern Empire both fear and HATE Veldora a LOT since he crushed their armies a several centuries ago and that's kept them in check. The Russo family I don't remember. I want to read LN's 6 and especially 7 again to better gage things since a lot of it is new stuff along with lots of political world building.

Edit: I also love that both the LN and Manga flesh Veldora out more. He's a chuuni manchild, but there's absolutely no questioning that he really does know his stuff and is quite smart and clever. It's also amusing how he thinks that Rimuru is this brilliant tactical mind, when a lot of his success is dumb luck and mistakes him getting swindled as some kind of clever 4D chess thing. Reminds me of "The Man Who Knew Too Little" and the fact that he called out the Eastern Empire needing to go through Jura anyway since people have brought that one up in the past.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 13, 2019

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I still love that reading Dragon Ball was key to Veldora learning to suppress his aura.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gyges posted:

I still love that reading Dragon Ball was key to Veldora learning to suppress his aura.

He's also a HUGE fan of Dull Metal Alchemist. If they made a video game with these characters I can totally see Veldora's moveset being a combo of DBZ and Street Fighter's Ryu/Ken/Akuma and their derivatives.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Rody One Half posted:

Hey were you able to find the LN stuff? If not I can hook you up directly.

Grouchio posted:

It's how the lizard princess turned into a shinobi waifu.

Stop getting probate before answering my hails good sir!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah I'm in 6

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Rody One Half posted:

Yeah I'm in 6

Ah nice. Please post your thoughts when you're caught up. Next raws should be out next week I think or sometime soonish.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://mangadex.org/chapter/641243/1

Slime Diary chapter. This time about potats.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Since the old thread seems to be straight up dead I'll just post news here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TenseiSlim...tm_source=share

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
New Bunny Spinoff.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/645383/1

Sakura viewing and tail fluffing

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

doomrider7 posted:

New Bunny Spinoff.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/645383/1

Sakura viewing and tail fluffing

https://youtu.be/nsVndZb0sG4

Link to video of chapter 59.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/06/28/crunchyroll-to-host-that-time-i-got-reincarnated-as-a-slime-stamp-rally-at-anime-expo

Passport event at Anime Expo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Link to some translated character sheets from the LN.

Tempest Staff

https://imgur.com/gallery/enmuMzs

LN's

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ah71ah46ajgr9og/That_Time_I_Got_Reincarnated_as_a_Slime_LN_Eng.zip/file

https://tensurafan.home.blog/light-novel/

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 6, 2019