Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jordan7hm posted:

I feel like now that I know the ending I should not, in fact, read it.

Good piece though.

There's an absolute ton I glossed over just in the chunk I've read, I can't imagine what's in the other two half of the book

I still recommend reading it, just, maybe stop before the last three pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just ran into the guy I replaced at the shop almost 14 years ago. Dude is a rage burrito. I'm shocked he hasn't gone on some sort of rampage with how he was carrying on.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The comicshop that I went to every Wednesday for 17 years has officially closed down today. Funny thing, if you watch the Deadly Class tv show all the comic shop scenes were filmed there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

The comicshop that I went to every Wednesday for 17 years has officially closed down today. Funny thing, if you watch the Deadly Class tv show all the comic shop scenes were filmed there.

I recall you posting about that. Bummer.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I recall you posting about that. Bummer.

Yea, they knew for about 2 months that any day would be the last day. Something about the creditors not wanting to give them too much advance notice in case they just took the stock and ran.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Yea, they knew for about 2 months that any day would be the last day. Something about the creditors not wanting to give them too much advance notice in case they just took the stock and ran.

That makes sense.

My former employer has been struggling for months now and they just had a 50% off all comic stock except for supplies and new/recent comics. It seems a bit odd as they never allowed me to do major sales. The local buzz is they are not long for this world.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

My city used to have four thriving comic shops, but now we're down to just two, and will probably be down to one in less than year.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

My city has added two new comic shops in the past 5 years or so, and not lost any I know of.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Seems like the comic shops around here are all branching out into games. Not sure what that means for the comics end of things.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's only one comic shop in my town that I'm aware of (if there is another, I am not aware of it) and it's a Forbidden Planet branch.

Always seems to have people in it, though, which I suppose is something.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Esplanade posted:

Seems like the comic shops around here are all branching out into games. Not sure what that means for the comics end of things.

Wasn't GameStop doing a thing with comics a couple of years ago?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Samuringa posted:

Wasn't GameStop doing a thing with comics a couple of years ago?

Isn't that still in the works?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm not happy for all the cool people who run clean and welcoming hobby shops who are losing their livelihoods, but at the same time the direct market is the worst thing about comics and I (foolishly) hope its death will destroy Diamond's stranglehold on the business and allow prices to finally normalize.

In like 15 years. :sigh:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Rhyno posted:

Isn't that still in the works?

I don't even know anymore, 2018 felt like a decade.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Esplanade posted:

Any time I find out a store hasn't already branched into gaming I'm amazed, board games are a way bigger part of our business than comics

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
My local comic shop hasn't branched out into games, I suspect because there are already two or three dedicated gaming stores already in the city.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We pushed into games hard as hell with a rewards program (buy 4 get 1 free) but a game store opened within walking distance and crushed sales. They have a huge social media presence and a very well known female owner who's a pretty nice person in general.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can't believe i slept on hip hop family tree so long, this is the good stuff

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

site posted:

Can't believe i slept on hip hop family tree so long, this is the good stuff

It's one of my favorite comics of the decade, perhaps of all time. Did you buy the oversized "Treasury" editions? If you get Piskor's X-Men: Grand Design series, the two books so far match the dimensions of the Hip Hop Family Tree books exactly.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i once saw the oversized version at a b&n and wow that thing was huge. i wouldnt even have a place to store it lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I’ve got mine laying on the long side on my shelf

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I dunno how comic shops without gaming make it work, I feel like you're super vulnerable to the release schedule. Back issues are not enough. Any kind of toys, collectibles, and goddamn Funko Pops have taken a big hit for us this year. I really feel like we need something else going to thrive, but I don't know what that next thing is. Video games? :v:

The thing that really concerns me is that so much of our clientele is over 40, younger comics regulars are few and far between and we're right next to a college.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think more and more the young fans have tablets and buy digital releases.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My shop does fine without gaming. Actually managed to move into a better location and a bigger building like, eleven years ago. Being just outside of Detroit gives us a pretty big potential client pool though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last I checked, there was two comic shops inside my city, and they're both approximately the size of shoeboxes, so I don't think gaming is on their radar any time soon. One of the big shops a half hour outside has a huge gaming section, though.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think out of the Philly comic stores I've been to-- and this is from memory so I could be wrong-- only Fat Jack's and the late lamented Locust Moon didn't have dedicated and sizeable spaces devoted to gaming (and Locust Moon split the difference by being attached to an art gallery in the area next-door-- still diversifying their niche, just in a different direction).

Outside of the city it's been literal decades since I've seen a comic store without at least some space for games, even if only table top RPGs or collectible card games.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Big city shops have the larger customer bases so they can avoid having to dip into gaming. Less than half a million people and you kind of have to.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

We have 2 comic shops but 1 has moved to mostly gaming and they only order the bare minimum of comic books and the other has shifted to "collectibles"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Archyduchess posted:

I think out of the Philly comic stores I've been to-- and this is from memory so I could be wrong-- only Fat Jack's and the late lamented Locust Moon didn't have dedicated and sizeable spaces devoted to gaming (and Locust Moon split the difference by being attached to an art gallery in the area next-door-- still diversifying their niche, just in a different direction).

Outside of the city it's been literal decades since I've seen a comic store without at least some space for games, even if only table top RPGs or collectible card games.

Atomic City doesn't either but atomic City whips scrote anyway

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If I had to gently caress marry kill comic stores in Philly I'd burn fat Jack's to the ground and force everyone to go to Atomic City

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My comic shop is like a block from another comic shop. The other one has lots of games and miniatures and magic cards and whatever. Mine has comics, and graphic novels, and that's it. I really like my shop but recognize that if I was suggesting someone start buying comics I'd send them to the other store. The other guys are a lot more immediately friendly and the store is more open and interesting.

The reason I switched is because after a year of subscriptions they kept missing books, had no idea who I was, and I just didn't feel the love. The other guy remembered me immediately and is able to have a quick conversation whenever I go in to the shop. And he's good with the subscriptions. That's basically all I need from an LCBS.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

If I had to gently caress marry kill comic stores in Philly I'd burn fat Jack's to the ground and force everyone to go to Atomic City

I, uh, like both? Fat Jack's is my wife's regular shop because it's right next to her office. It's also where a lot of other professors in my department go, probably again because of location. My favorite was Locust Moon until they shifted to publishing, I also really like Amalgam but it's quite out of the way for me personally.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

I've been getting my comics from the same store for over thirty five years. The store has always been bare bones, but the owner has never messed up a subscription and includes a bag and backing board free of charge with each book. Like Somberbrero's store, though, the clientele are all over forty. The few times I've seen parents bring their kids into the store they always seem taken aback by the price of a single comic.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

gently caress Midtown, marry Jim Hanley's, kill the various trogoldyte dens that actually exist in the outer boroughs somehow.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I learned today that the lyric from the chorus of "He's Sure the Boy I Love" by the Crystals is "I'm his, whatever he is" which I've always misheard as "I'm his whatever-it-is". I like mine better. :(

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

A friend of mine asked for some recommendations for non-superhero comics in the mystery and horror genre. Do you guys have any suggestions for recent/current stuff?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Strontosaurus posted:

A friend of mine asked for some recommendations for non-superhero comics in the mystery and horror genre. Do you guys have any suggestions for recent/current stuff?

Hellboy is the most obvious go to. Fatale by Brubaker would be another recommendation, detective noir by way of Lovecraft.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/sattou0/status/1082672871325949952

Strontosaurus posted:

Gyo or Uzumaki

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Strontosaurus posted:

Locke & Key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Strontosaurus posted:

Black Monday Murders by Hickman. The initial premise is that the stockbrokers who jumped to their death on Black Monday were actually thrown out as human sacrifices to Mammon. Each economic school has its own magical practice, half of the story is the internal power struggles of the Rothschild family and the other half is a detective investigating the fallout from those struggles.

Also Fatale by Brubaker. It's a Cthulhu mythos story that manages to innovate on the universe in a natural and interesting way while also being head and shoulders above most of the genre.

Also Harrow County. It's Chilling Adventures of Sabrina new game+.