Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Where's the Samson movie starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in a wig? Death to Hollywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

jokes posted:

The bible like many sources of entertainment throw around ridiculous numbers of kills in fights. Arthurian legends rule for this reason. Like a knight gets steamed and goes out and kills 900 Picts or whatever. Norse mythology has Thor go out and murder hundreds of giants (who themselves could kill hundreds of men).

I also love the solemnity in biblical passages where they'd mention in two sentences a RIDICULOUS killstreak and also a quick phrase that's basically "good jew".

'Shamgar killed six hundred Philistines. He was a good jew.' who cares about Shamgar or anything else, he just killed a shitload of the apparently infinite race of enemies who are easily slain by the hundreds before dinner time and also the greatest enemy of the Israelis.

Like, the kill counts are always absurd. Why do the human superweapons only work for an afternoon? Maybe they have a wizard whose arms get tired that is making them invincible somewhere, or did that only happen the one time?
There should be a Bollywood or Wuxia bible movie where hundreds of mooks get mowed down by handsome men.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What if I told you handsome bible men mowing people down by the hundreds are actually knock-offs of original stories of handsome non-bible men mowing people down by the hundreds?

If you want to see Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson pretend to be Samson just watch most of his movies, the "Handsome Righteous Man Kills Many Bad People" is the most common story ever.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Lacey posted:

Code Jockey: if you're interested in Jesus birth narratives, there are a bunch of apocryphal New Testament "infancy gospels" that are good reading. My fav is the Protoevangelium of James and my favourite part in it is when Salome tries to poke around in Mary right after the birth to test her virginity:

my favorite non canon gospel is the one where kid jesus is getting picked on by another kid so jesus points at the kid and zaps him with holy lightning

there is a parody book about these childhood gospels called "the gospel of biff" which is written like it's by jesus' childhood buddy, biff

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 3, 2019

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
My favorite is when Jesus kills another kid for bumping into him. Then the townspeople get pissed so he blinds them. Owned!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Code Jockey posted:

Can you expand on:

... because that's really interesting, I've heard this before but didn't know details.

Matthew

Matthew's birth narrative starts with a long list of dubious genealogy showing that Jesus' mother Mary was a direct descendant of David and Abraham.

Mary has been pledged to marry Joseph, but gets knocked up by the Holy Spirit before they can seal the deal. Joseph apparently plans to go ahead and marry her anyway because it's the right thing to do in accordance with the law, but then quietly divorce her since they've never consummated their marriage. It's the law! However, an angel appears to Joseph in a dream and tells him that getting impregnated by the Holy Ghost ain't cheating, so he should raise the kid as his own and name him Yeshua.

Meanwhile, three sorcerers from the east go to Jerusalem and ask Herod, king of Judea, "Hey, where is the future king of the Jews? We saw a star in the sky and took it as a sign that he was recently born." Herod asks his religious advisers where the Messiah is supposed to be born, and is told that Bethlehem is the supposed birthplace of the future King.

Herod tells the sorcerers to go to Bethlehem and find the kid so that he can worship him (SPOILER: It's a trick!! Herod wants to kill poor baby Jesus because he's a potential usurper). The three wizards follow the star to Joseph and Mary's house, and give the baby Jesus gold, frankincense and myrrh.

An angel appears and tells Joseph and Mary to take Jesus and flee to Egypt. The sorcerers are advised to travel home a different way as to avoid Herod, because he is actually bad and a jerk. Herod is furious, and orders all children under the age of two in the vicinity of Bethlehem to be executed. Eventually Herod dies, and Joseph, Mary, and Jesus relocate to Nazareth.

Luke

Luke's gives a duel birth narrative featuring both John the Baptist and Jesus. The angel Gabriel appears to Mary and tells her that she's about to be impregnated by the Holy Spirit. (Oddly, the genealogy shows Joseph to be the one who is a descendant of King David, which wouldn't matter at all since Joseph isn't Jesus' father.)

Meanwhile, Caesar Augustus decrees that a census of the entire Roman world be taken, but that people must travel back to their ancestral homelands to be counted. Joseph and Mary have to travel back to Bethlehem, because that's where David lived 1,000 years before. Makes perfect sense, right? Nazareth is a little hick town with only one inn and it's full, so they have to sleep outside like animals. An angel appears to some shepherds and tells them that the messiah was just born in a nearby barn. The shepherds go to check it out and tell Mary what the angel told them. She is a proud mother.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

The childhood gospels are funny. While the infancy gospel of Thomas was considered heretical even when it was hot off the presses it is entertaining.

Jesus is a smartarse and plays word games with his officious teacher with supernatural curses heaped on the teacher to humiliate him as Jesus mocks him. As a one year old he curses another child and the child immediately withers into a corpse. He curses another child to death because the child bumped into him.

When the neighbor parents come to Joseph and Mary to complain that their son is killing other children Jesus strikes the grieving parents with blindness. Jesus makes birds out of clay and the other kids make fun of them so Jesus brings them to life. That last one even gets an honorable mention in the Quran.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
In other words, Jesus is born as the Old Testament God.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

christmas boots posted:

In other words, Jesus is born as the Old Testament God.

More likely someone had a rough childhood, never got over it, and wrote up a revenge fantasy with himself as Jesus. The ancient equivalent of wishing you had superpowers and could destroy everything that annoys you.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Xenocides posted:

More likely someone had a rough childhood, never got over it, and wrote up a revenge fantasy with himself as Jesus. The ancient equivalent of wishing you had superpowers and could destroy everything that annoys you.
So the biblical Expanded Universe.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Pretty sure that's this: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm?lang=eng

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

SardonicTyrant posted:

Exactly this. There's a bit about Mary becoming a Temple virgin (?) as young child and she's a total mary sue

quote:

And the child was three years old, and Joachim said: Invite the daughters of the Hebrews that are undefiled, and let them take each a lamp, and let them stand with the lamps burning, that the child may not turn back, and her heart be captivated from the temple of the Lord. And they did so until they went up into the temple of the Lord. And the priest received her, and kissed her, and blessed her, saying: The Lord has magnified your name in all generations. In you, on the last of the days, the Lord will manifest His redemption to the sons of Israel. And he set her down upon the third step of the altar, and the Lord God sent grace upon her; and she danced with her feet, and all the house of Israel loved her.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lacey posted:

Exactly this. There's a bit about Mary becoming a Temple virgin (?) as young child and she's a total mary sue

Such an innocent time. Nowadays women only dance with their rear end.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Really makes you think, if a new Jesus was to be born to a new mary... do you think she would dance with her feet or her rear end.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
Story of Jacob: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iibnwMwpmiI

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

ovenboy posted:

Really makes you think, if a new Jesus was to be born to a new mary... do you think she would dance with her feet or her rear end.
The son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
just cracked job, first opportunity to :woop: :woop: hail satan

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

lol but seriously I posted:

just cracked job, first opportunity to :woop: :woop: hail satan

Legitimately one of my favorite books in the Bible. It’s definitely meant as more literary than anything else certainly not meant to be read as a historical event.

It’s worth mentioning that Satan functions differently than the usual Christian interpretation. In this incarnation he functions as a willing subordinate of God, more a prosecuting attorney than a rebellious fallen angel.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Old time Satan is a solid guy doing his job (heh)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my favorite book of the bible is ecclesiastes. it's basically like if dril or da share z0ne lived 2300 years ago

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
guys im sorry im drunk and its drama and crap, you dont need this.

you really dont

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Lime Tonics posted:

Judges 16
1 One day Samson went to Gaza, where he saw a prostitute. He went in to spend the night with her. 2 The people of Gaza were told, “Samson is here!” So they surrounded the place and lay in wait for him all night at the city gate. They made no move during the night, saying, “At dawn we’ll kill him.” 3 But Samson lay there only until the middle of the night. Then he got up and took hold of the doors of the city gate, together with the two posts, and tore them loose, bar and all. He lifted them to his shoulders and carried them to the top of the hill that faces Hebron. 4 Some time later, he fell in love with a woman in the Valley of Sorek whose name was Delilah. 5 The rulers of the Philistines went to her and said, “See if you can lure him into showing you the secret of his great strength and how we can overpower him so we may tie him up and subdue him. Each one of us will give you eleven hundred shekels of silver.” 6 So Delilah said to Samson, “Tell me the secret of your great strength and how you can be tied up and subdued.” 7 Samson answered her, “If anyone ties me with seven fresh bowstrings that have not been dried, I’ll become as weak as any other man.” 8 Then the rulers of the Philistines brought her seven fresh bowstrings that had not been dried, and she tied him with them. 9 With men hidden in the room, she called to him, “Samson, the Philistines are upon you!” But he snapped the bowstrings as easily as a piece of string snaps when it comes close to a flame. So the secret of his strength was not discovered. 10 Then Delilah said to Samson, “You have made a fool of me; you lied to me. Come now, tell me how you can be tied.” 11 He said, “If anyone ties me securely with new ropes that have never been used, I’ll become as weak as any other man.” 12 So Delilah took new ropes and tied him with them. Then, with men hidden in the room, she called to him, “Samson, the Philistines are upon you!” But he snapped the ropes off his arms as if they were threads. 13 Delilah then said to Samson, “All this time you have been making a fool of me and lying to me. Tell me how you can be tied.” He replied, “If you weave the seven braids of my head into the fabric on the loom and tighten it with the pin, I’ll become as weak as any other man.” So while he was sleeping, Delilah took the seven braids of his head, wove them into the fabric 14 and tightened it with the pin. Again she called to him, “Samson, the Philistines are upon you!” He awoke from his sleep and pulled up the pin and the loom, with the fabric. 15 Then she said to him, “How can you say, ‘I love you,’ when you won’t confide in me? This is the third time you have made a fool of me and haven’t told me the secret of your great strength.” 16 With such nagging she prodded him day after day until he was sick to death of it. 17 So he told her everything. “No razor has ever been used on my head,” he said, “because I have been a Nazirite dedicated to God from my mother’s womb. If my head were shaved, my strength would leave me, and I would become as weak as any other man.” 18 When Delilah saw that he had told her everything, she sent word to the rulers of the Philistines, “Come back once more; he has told me everything.” So the rulers of the Philistines returned with the silver in their hands. 19 After putting him to sleep on her lap, she called for someone to shave off the seven braids of his hair, and so began to subdue him. And his strength left him. 20 Then she called, “Samson, the Philistines are upon you!” He awoke from his sleep and thought, “I’ll go out as before and shake myself free.” But he did not know that the LORD had left him. 21 Then the Philistines seized him, gouged out his eyes and took him down to Gaza. Binding him with bronze shackles, they set him to grinding grain in the prison. 22 But the hair on his head began to grow again after it had been shaved. 23 Now the rulers of the Philistines assembled to offer a great sacrifice to Dagon their god and to celebrate, saying, “Our god has delivered Samson, our enemy, into our hands.” 24 When the people saw him, they praised their god, saying, “Our god has delivered our enemy into our hands, the one who laid waste our land and multiplied our slain.” 25 While they were in high spirits, they shouted, “Bring out Samson to entertain us.” So they called Samson out of the prison, and he performed for them. When they stood him among the pillars, 26 Samson said to the servant who held his hand, “Put me where I can feel the pillars that support the temple, so that I may lean against them.” 27 Now the temple was crowded with men and women; all the rulers of the Philistines were there, and on the roof were about three thousand men and women watching Samson perform. 28 Then Samson prayed to the LORD, “Sovereign LORD, remember me. Please, God, strengthen me just once more, and let me with one blow get revenge on the Philistines for my two eyes.” 29 Then Samson reached toward the two central pillars on which the temple stood. Bracing himself against them, his right hand on the one and his left hand on the other, 30 Samson said, “Let me die with the Philistines!” Then he pushed with all his might, and down came the temple on the rulers and all the people in it. Thus he killed many more when he died than while he lived. 31 Then his brothers and his father’s whole family went down to get him. They brought him back and buried him between Zorah and Eshtaol in the tomb of Manoah his father. He had led Israel twenty years.

the bible.

Lime Tonics posted:

On divorce,

Luke 16:18

“Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery."

1 Corinthians 7:11-13

11 But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.
12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her.
13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/bible-verses-about-slavery/

the bible, a book about murder, slavery, adultery, wars, etc.

it ends with the end of the world at least.

Lime Tonics posted:

The bible is a rehashed gilgimesh, with slightly altered heroes.

but jesus this and jesus that, and i tell the fat manager haircut lady in front of me, you'd kill jesus, and his man chud wife would butt in saying, I HAVE A WEAPON IM BETTER THAN YOU. so i gave up on church.

Lime Tonics posted:

guys im sorry im drunk and its drama and crap, you dont need this.

you really dont

remember in like 2002 when atheist edgelords thought it was a sick burn to post white noise like this

e: fixed quotes

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 4, 2019

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my favorite book of the bible is ecclesiastes. it's basically like if dril or da share z0ne lived 2300 years ago

I've always wondered but been too lazy to look it up if parts of Ecclesiastes were added later. It always seems like this hard left when it goes "then I realized that everyone should accept their lot in life and so on." It makes sense for a king to say that, but it also seems very different in tone from the rest of it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

King Lazer posted:

I've always wondered but been too lazy to look it up if parts of Ecclesiastes were added later. It always seems like this hard left when it goes "then I realized that everyone should accept their lot in life and so on." It makes sense for a king to say that, but it also seems very different in tone from the rest of it.

one of the fun things about that is that (iirc) the modern scholarly consensus on the authorship of many biblical texts is "we have no idea who the specific actual person is who wrote this lol". some of these texts were passed down in oral tradition for a long time before ever being written down. some of them have competing versions of the text because archaeologists have uncovered multiple ancient manuscripts of the same text. one of the classic examples here is the book of Isaiah, which i think scholars believe was really three different texts that at some point were grafted onto each other

ecclesiastes is pretty weird just because it's a fuckin weird book. it's pretty much some guy shitposting about society, and how everything is (to some degree) bullshit. one thing i would keep in mind is that we don't really know for sure if an actual king wrote or dictated it, and even if a king did write it, perhaps it was edited or revised by someone else. personally, i like it because it's a neat reminder that even people who lived thousands of years ago had the same "wow society is kinda hosed up sometimes eh?" existential despair that people today have too

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Just got Robert Alter's new translation of the Hebew bible. Looking forward to it

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

one of the fun things about that is that (iirc) the modern scholarly consensus on the authorship of many biblical texts is "we have no idea who the specific actual person is who wrote this lol". some of these texts were passed down in oral tradition for a long time before ever being written down. some of them have competing versions of the text because archaeologists have uncovered multiple ancient manuscripts of the same text. one of the classic examples here is the book of Isaiah, which i think scholars believe was really three different texts that at some point were grafted onto each other

ecclesiastes is pretty weird just because it's a fuckin weird book. it's pretty much some guy shitposting about society, and how everything is (to some degree) bullshit. one thing i would keep in mind is that we don't really know for sure if an actual king wrote or dictated it, and even if a king did write it, perhaps it was edited or revised by someone else. personally, i like it because it's a neat reminder that even people who lived thousands of years ago had the same "wow society is kinda hosed up sometimes eh?" existential despair that people today have too

Thanks. I like it too. The fate of the fool will overtake me as well lol.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

god was a douche

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
anyone here willing to trade me their inheritance for a warm bowl of stew?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I like it's placement too. Like you've just gone through proverbs which is all about how if you live prudently and wisely you will prosper and benefit and then Ecclesiastes comes along and says "but then sometimes you just get hosed anyway because it's all bullshit" which is refreshingly candid

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

hahaha i never thought about that. proverbs is all "oh here are some clever sayings about living well and if you do good with your penny-saved penny-earned prudence you will obviously be successful". then you flip to the next page and its your cynical uncle going on like "lol my dude have u ever thought about how people are douchebags who chase the approval of society? also everything is baloney that doesn't actually matter"

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Ecclesiastes may very well be the world's first Existential text.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
King David was a tyrant and murderer and did not kill Goliath but is given credit anyways

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Lutha Mahtin posted:

remember in like 2002 when atheist edgelords thought it was a sick burn to post white noise like this

e: fixed quotes

I get where you're coming from but 2002 was also a very different time when Biblical Fundamentalism was much more pervasive in the culture and seemed to be infiltrating and corroding everything. The atheist edgelords were a reaction to that. The fact that we can even say some of the things we say now and not have it seem as shocking is due in large part to edgelords like Hitchens and Dawkins desensitizing everyone to it.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Cnut the Great posted:

I get where you're coming from but 2002 was also a very different time when Biblical Fundamentalism was much more pervasive in the culture and seemed to be infiltrating and corroding everything. The atheist edgelords were a reaction to that. The fact that we can even say some of the things we say now and not have it seem as shocking is due in large part to edgelords like Hitchens and Dawkins desensitizing everyone to it.

Thank you Hitchens and Dawkins for paving the way for free speech warriors everywhere. :patriot:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Cnut the Great posted:

well we've reached Peak Goon where some Extremely Online Atheist earnestly defends christopher loving hitchens and dick dorkins so i guess op can just close the thread now

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

like just imagine what it would be like if you genuinely thought dorkins or hitchens are people that society should ever remember for any positive reason. what kind of sad and hateful existence would a person have to have in order to hold such hosed up opinions

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

A long time ago, I read this book and it was pretty rad: https://smile.amazon.com/Richard-Elliott-Friedman-published-HarperCollins/dp/B00EKYJNS2/ref=sr_1_1

Is there a more up-to-date layperson’s guide to old testament textual scholarship? This thread has made me want to check in with Q and J and the gang.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Grevling posted:

Thank you Hitchens and Dawkins for paving the way for free speech warriors everywhere. :patriot:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

well we've reached Peak Goon where some Extremely Online Atheist earnestly defends christopher loving hitchens and dick dorkins so i guess op can just close the thread now

I posted an incredibly obvious fact about the effect they both had on acceptable public discourse about religion. Hitchens was an entertaining writer but became a lovely neocon interventionist, and I find Dawkins insufferable when he speaks on anything other than evolutionary biology. I defended them only as far as they merited being defended, and no further. You don't know anything about me. Why don't you two try growing up a bit? You don't have to "destroy" everyone you encounter on the Internet who says something you find objectionable, especially when you lack the wit or intelligence to even do so effectively. Seriously, Lutha Mahtin actually did the capitalize-every-word-in-a-phrase thing and "Dick Dorkins" both in one post. Be original, dude.

I'm on the same side as people in this thread. Take a deep breath. Calm down. Let's be friends.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I will destroy Dick Dorkings. I have already disposed of his Englisher worm Chris Hitchens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Lutha Mahtin posted:

like just imagine what it would be like if you genuinely thought dorkins or hitchens are people that society should ever remember for any positive reason. what kind of sad and hateful existence would a person have to have in order to hold such hosed up opinions

I'm a good person who contributes to society and has good relationships with friends and family. What is wrong with you? Is behaving this way towards people really your takeaway from religion? If so, I don't think you understand what religion is supposed to be about, and you should probably do some deep soul-searching. Namaste.

e: My selfless offer of friendship still stands, if you choose to let go of your ego and accept it.