Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Unless it's a Journey to the West. Or Manifest Destiny~

It was a Diablo II reference

God I just watched that cutscene again it had SO much more atmosphere than the new game

Colonel Cancer posted:

As far as most biblical parables go, this one's pretty good.

It's definitely decent and catchy compared to a lot of them. If not taken literally it's a good story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SardonicTyrant posted:

According to Eastern Orthodox canon, he went east and never smiled again because of what he saw in the underworld.

fuckin metal

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

In the story of Job even as a kid I could never get over the fact that God allowed Satan to kill hundreds of innocent people over what seemed to be a silly bet. I always thought it made God look really dumb, because I could just see him being all smug because Job never turned on him. Meanwhile Satan is walking away with a poo poo eating grin because he just tricked God into letting him harvest the souls of hundreds of people.

I got into an argument with our pastor as a kid when I said I thought it was silly that God would allow you to be killed to teach someone else a lesson. His response was that God didn't allow Satan to kill Job. Mine was that all of Jobs servants were killed. He said, but he couldn't kill Job. This went back and forth till finally I pointed out that Job was basically an ancient middle eastern billionaire. I was like nobody in this church is Bill Gates we aren't Job, this church is made up of the poor servants who worked for him. At which point the pastor rambled about how we are Job in the context of the story. He then changed the subject, and stopped addressing me.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
When I was 15, I thought I was so clever when I realized that if God is Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omni-whatever, then he knew exactly what was going to happen when he created Man. He knew that Eve would be tempted, eat the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, get Adam to do it, and result in them being expelled from the Garden of Eden; damning humanity. So what was the purpose of any of it?

I think I thought I was the first person to ever question this, because it seemed like everybody just took it at face value. I wanted to ask my pastor about it back then, but I legit thought I would get in trouble for questioning the Bible. Because bringing up those same sort of questions to my friends would cause them to tell me to gently caress off, as if I had some kind of underhanded intentions instead of just being curious.

MrDutch
Jul 9, 2008

Yes they are shoes made of wood. Nothing weird about it, please stop taking my picture. I am NOT a tourist attraction!
^
|

Epicurus:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

This was a few centuries before Christ.

But, Epicurus died a slow and painful death in 270 BC at the age of seventy-two from a stone blockage of his urinary tract. So maybe God had the last laugh.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a fun/stupid plot hole: If a plague wiped out all the horses in Egypt, how the gently caress are they using horse drawn chariots to chase anyone?

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

Here's a fun/stupid plot hole: If a plague wiped out all the horses in Egypt, how the gently caress are they using horse drawn chariots to chase anyone?

Not remembering the plague of horsedeath.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MrDutch posted:

^
|

Epicurus:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

This was a few centuries before Christ.

But, Epicurus died a slow and painful death in 270 BC at the age of seventy-two from a stone blockage of his urinary tract. So maybe God had the last laugh.

The answer of course to this is that god has imbued people with free will and that this is a greater good than the evil people have done from which springs suffering.

Does the Bible ever claim God is omniscient or omnipotent?

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
so far no buti didn't read all of it yet kinda slacking recently

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

The answer of course to this is that god has imbued people with free will and that this is a greater good than the evil people have done from which springs suffering.

Does the Bible ever claim God is omniscient or omnipotent?

Maybe God isn't necessarily the antithesis of evil, much like an engineer is not the antithesis of bugs and glitches. Evil is rarely as cut and dry as we pretend it is.

Sometimes you want to cultivate emergent behaviors in your creations, which means free will and humanity is the biblical equivalent of that bug in skyrim that causes you to fly to space when the giants smash you.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The classic answer is that there is no evil, only the absence of good

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

jokes posted:

Maybe God isn't necessarily the antithesis of evil, much like an engineer is not the antithesis of bugs and glitches. Evil is rarely as cut and dry as we pretend it is.

Sometimes you want to cultivate emergent behaviors in your creations, which means free will and humanity is the biblical equivalent of that bug in skyrim that causes you to fly to space when the giants smash you.
I like to think of us as the tragic backstory for a really cool protagonist.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Maybe instead of trying explain or hand wave away discrepancies and whatnot, we could simply accept the fact that there is no deity?

E: Occam's Razor or what have you.

Mushika fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 10, 2019

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

jokes posted:

Good, wise Solomon who proposes cutting babies in half, the best example of modern 'common sense'-- feigning extreme violence towards an innocent to prompt a minor response. There's surely no other way of determining whose baby it is.

Solomon was one of the OG trolls and his owns are for good reason legendary

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Mushika posted:

Maybe instead of trying explain or hand wave away discrepancies and whatnot, we could simply accept the fact that there is no deity?

E: Occam's Razor or what have you.

Whoa

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Yeah, I'll just grab my fedora and see myself out.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The classic answer is that there is no evil, only the absence of good
Sounds very Greek to me.

I think the traditional Jewish answer is that God loves stories. Evil makes for some very compelling plot lines.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

I always wondered more about how, if all the water in Egypt turned into blood (it wasn't just the Nile, the Bible says all the water in all containers also turned), how did Pharaoh's magicians turn water into blood too? Where did they get the water?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Colonel Cancer posted:

Idk I think he appeals to the maternal love or whatever. Solomon figures that the woman who wants the baby out of spite doesn't really care what happens to it but the true mother would care enough about it to let it go if the other option was death.

As far as most biblical parables go, this one's pretty good.

Yeah. Plus, while agreeing to half a baby isn't rational, neither is stealing someone else's baby because yours died. It's less of a legal argument and more about sussing out the one that actually has the baby's interests at heart.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Lacey posted:

Sounds very Greek to me.

I think the traditional Jewish answer is that God loves stories. Evil makes for some very compelling plot lines.
Kill Six Billion Gentiles

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I remember the story of rear end in a top hat King David who saw a lady bathing on her rooftop so as to avoid lusty perverts leering at her. Who sees her but David who decides he wants her. But she's married to a real cool dude. So he nice guys the poo poo out of her and sends the cool guy husband right into the vanguard of his army. Sends him on suicide missions so that he can loving die and David can get his nut.

I think it's funny that even the Bible is full of horrid incel poo poo.

christmas boots posted:

Yeah. Plus, while agreeing to half a baby isn't rational, neither is stealing someone else's baby because yours died. It's less of a legal argument and more about sussing out the one that actually has the baby's interests at heart.

One of the biggest and most consistent things in the Bible is that women are always baby crazy. You could be just walking by a temple and some thirsty harlot'll bounce out from behind a pillar and be like "give me your seed" and you, the virtuous Hebrew, must turn her away. Or bang her. Whatever.

A lot of conflicts and memorable stories start out with a girl waking up off camera saying "I want to get pregnant today" and then she daterapes her dad or something.

Two women fighting over a baby sounds consistent.

jokes fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 10, 2019

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

jokes posted:

I remember the story of rear end in a top hat King David who saw a lady bathing on her rooftop so as to avoid lusty perverts leering at her. Who sees her but David who decides he wants her. But she's married to a real cool dude. So he nice guys the poo poo out of her, talks poo poo about her husband and also elevated him so as to gain favor with the girl. Elevated the cool guy husband right into the vanguard of his army. Sends them on suicide missions so that he can loving die and David can get his nut. But he keeps on coming back victorious.

I don't know what the moral is because the husband dies eventually but I think it's funny that even the Bible is full of horrid incel poo poo.

TO BE FAIR god condemns this behaviour and fucks over his grandkids hardstyle

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The fact that all the kings are kind of flawed assholes who eventually become corrupted by their own power is an example of why the Bible is an enduring commentary on human societies

Also the fact that God is mysterious and frightening and people just suffer and die for no good reason.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I wanna see God wrestle John Cena instead of some weird effete little soupsmith.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

jokes posted:

I remember the story of rear end in a top hat King David who saw a lady bathing on her rooftop so as to avoid lusty perverts leering at her. Who sees her but David who decides he wants her. But she's married to a real cool dude. So he nice guys the poo poo out of her and sends the cool guy husband right into the vanguard of his army. Sends him on suicide missions so that he can loving die and David can get his nut.

One of the biggest and most consistent things in the Bible is that women are always baby crazy. You could be just walking by a temple and some thirsty harlot'll bounce out from behind a pillar and be like "give me your seed" and you, the virtuous Hebrew, must turn her away. Or bang her. Whatever.

A lot of conflicts and memorable stories start out with a girl waking up off camera saying "I want to get pregnant today" and then she daterapes her dad or something.

To be fair we're talking about a culture where women were only valued for making babies (sons). They aren't "baby crazy" so much as grown up in a place where the men in power told them if they don't have sons come out their womb then they are a disgrace.

Also David knocked up Bathsheba and at first tried to play it cool by calling her husband back from war so he'd sleep with her and be like congrats on your child lol. The guy refused to do a sex while his comrades were in battle, so then David decided to order him into a hail of arrows.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Women be babyin

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

King Lazer posted:

To be fair we're talking about a culture where women were only valued for making babies (sons). They aren't "baby crazy" so much as grown up in a place where the men in power told them if they don't have sons come out their womb then they are a disgrace.

Also David knocked up Bathsheba and at first tried to play it cool by calling her husband back from war so he'd sleep with her and be like congrats on your child lol. The guy refused to do a sex while his comrades were in battle, so then David decided to order him into a hail of arrows.

I mean that women's depiction in the Bible was as baby crazy, not that they actually were.

Oh right I misremembered that story. I gotta learn how the Bible authors were able to remember everything with such specific and unerring clarity because it's hard as poo poo sometimes.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
ripping up your clothes and putting on a sackcloth & ashes they were crazy on it way back when

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm a big fan of the mystery of the big wooden structure that's on Mt. Ararat which is supposedly the remains of the Ark.

But ya can't get up there bc the locals wont let you! So just accept that it's proof and that the Ark happened exactly as described good day

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Spoiler: its bullshit

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

jokes posted:

I mean that women's depiction in the Bible was as baby crazy, not that they actually were.

Baby crazy still happens now. Why do you think they lock down all the nurseries? Every so often some crazy woman tries to steal a baby

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

jokes posted:

I'm a big fan of the mystery of the big wooden structure that's on Mt. Ararat which is supposedly the remains of the Ark.

But ya can't get up there bc the locals wont let you! So just accept that it's proof and that the Ark happened exactly as described good day

we live in the age of everyone having a 1080p camera drone, someone get on it

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Despite all the unbelievably awful poo poo god does christians believe he’s good because.. he says so.

Try that with any person living or dead ever.

“God has killed my entire family via terrifyingly painful plague and made me watch my children be raped to death, but he is good! And god loving drat will you suffer for eternity if you ever question this”

504 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 10, 2019

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mushika posted:

Has there ever been much sci-fi that tackles the Christian God from a completely sci-fi angle as a major character? Like someone trying to rebuild their universe or something? Just curious I can see why it'd not get too mainstream.

You could come up with a fun sci-fi story from the bible if you were willing to filter everything through a different lens.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Also the fact that God is mysterious and frightening and people just suffer and die for no good reason.

And yet despite all this mystery and fear if you do not love him unconditionally you will burn forever in eternal torment. Thanks for making me God!

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pug Rodeo posted:

And yet despite all this mystery and fear if you do not love him unconditionally you will burn forever in eternal torment. Thanks for making me God!

the bible is actually quite vague on what happens after death - the "lake of fire" has been taken to be everything from Dante's Inferno style Hell, to a metaphor for the pain you'll suffer due to self-exclusion from God, annihilation of the soul after death if it is not gifted with immortality by God, or a crucible that will refine base wickedness away before eventual salvation

the latter 3 positions are far more (and increasingly) compatible with a conception of God that isn't fundamentally maltheistic

LGD fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 10, 2019

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

jokes posted:

Mildly nsfw but hell it's art. Don't click if you don't want to be horny.

Lamest pun in the bible is that Bathsheba is introduced taking a bath.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's a pale-rear end ginger living in the ancient middle east.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

To be fair, to the average European at the time, a ginger is probably the most exotic thing you'll ever see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

Has there ever been much sci-fi that tackles the Christian God from a completely sci-fi angle as a major character? Like someone trying to rebuild their universe or something? Just curious I can see why it'd not get too mainstream.

You could come up with a fun sci-fi story from the bible if you were willing to filter everything through a different lens.

Job a comedy of justice by Heinlein