Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVogp9bicB4
Interesting thoughts on the current Protoss lack of major wins for the past few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
2023 went by too fast for me, feels unreal. I was curious about the main tournaments that happened. I did a quick look on Liquidpeida for "Premier Tournaments" Since the last World Championship Katowice 2023. There are two team-based tournaments that I skipped. For my own reference I put together the top finishes of the top tournaments to see how it all played out:

2023 GSL Code S Season 1
  1. Maru (T)
  2. Cure (T)
  3. Byun (T), Bunny (T)
ESL Master 2023 Summer
  1. Serral (Z)
  2. Gumiho (T)
  3. Solar (Z), Reynor (Z)
2023 GSL Code S Season 2
  1. Maru (T)
  2. Dark (Z)
  3. Gumiho (T), Cure (T)
Gamers8 2023
  1. Reynor (Z)
  2. Cure (T)
  3. Clem (T), Solar (Z)
Master's Coliseum 6
  1. Serral (Z)
  2. Cure (T)
  3. Byun (T), Maru (T)
2023 GSL Code S Season 3
  1. Solar (Z)
  2. Gumiho (T)
  3. Classic (P), Dark (Z)
ESL Masters 2023 Winter
  1. Clem (T)
  2. Dark (Z)
  3. Cure (T), Serral Z

Masters Coliseum 7 is going on until tomorrow it seems. IEM Katowice 2024 is next month, but it's not the world championship, that will be in May in Dallas, TX.

So that's 7 "premier" tournaments for 2023, about one every other month. There are also the ESL regionals that can feel like premier events, not sure what the real difference is between a Premier and non-Premier tournament. Either way, this is the end of the first year after Blizzard withdrew a bunch of funding, and I felt like there was still so much going on in the pro scene that I couldn't keep up with it. I didn't watch anything with the Masters Coliseum for example. And I'm super looking forward to the Dallas tournament, I might be able to make it out there for that in person which would be amazing.

Building the list does show how tough it is to be a Protoss enjoyer this year, they just couldn't get into the finals like the Terrans and Zergs could. I just watched a video about Parting being out of military service and back into tournaments, so maybe he will bring something to the table. Also, Maru and Serral both had two 1st place finishes, they are so good. Clem has the most recent 1st place finish, he is doing great right now, I feel like at the beginning of last year he wasn't nearly as strong, now it feels like he can take on anyone, I've seen a few youtubes of him beating Serral. Honestly it's great to see someone new move up to the top spot, I feel like it's been Maru at the top forever and now things feel a little more dynamic, but just a little.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

:siren:

Stormgate beta is open for Steam Nextfest!

:siren:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

https://twitch.tv/esl_sc2

IT'S HAPPENING IN THE GRAND FINALS

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Well that was pretty anticlimactic

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Goat!

Morol
May 21, 2007

Pretty sad to see the state of protoss.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Game 2 of the finals, with drones and mules fighting over the last scraps of minerals in that corner base, while the broodlords looked over everything like angry bouncers, was sweet. Love the endgame scenarios in SC2.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Morol posted:

Pretty sad to see the state of protoss.

:hmmyes:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I predict another Maru/Dark final.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Katowice finals sure was a wet fart

The long rear end macro game was fun tho

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I liked the result, but only having a single game that wasn’t one-sided was a bit boring.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aujtGHKTtek

15 years of GSL.... I'm so old

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

It is happening again!! Bay Area SC2 fans:

quote:

more details about NorCal StarFest II.

Location: The event will once again take place at the spacious and luxuriously-equipped Guildhouse in San Jose - 420 South First Street, San Jose, CA 95113. Website: https://www.guildhouse.gg/

Time: March 30, 2024, from 10:30am (check-in) to 11:30pm (end of finals).

Tournament Format: Like last year, the tournament will feature a ladder phase in which players enter a matchmaking queue to find matches, much like SC2's in-game ladder system. The ladder phase will have two seeded pools of up to 48 players each, and will feed into a RO16 single-elimination playoff round. All ladder phase matches will be best-of-1 series; all RO16-RO4 matches will be best-of-3 series; and the final match will be a best-of-5 series. There is room for up to 96 players to play in the tournament.

There will also a more casually-focused, non-1v1 tournament, similar to the 4v4 Monobattles tournament held last year. Details for this TBD!

Tentative Entry Fee: $35 per player. $10 will go to the prize pool, and $25 will go to the venue. Guildhouse sets this, so please note that it's subject to some change.

Prize Pool: Currently, there are two sources of prize pool funding - the aforementioned entry fee, and donations from the community. The prize pool will therefore be at minimum $10 per participating player. We are also open to sponsorships!

Donations: We have set up a GoFundMe to take donations to the prize pool for this event. 100% of all donations will go to the prize pool. Please let us know if you have any questions. https://www.gofundme.com/f/norcal-starfest-ii-prize-pool-fund

Registration details will come soon!!
Wouldn't hurt to throw a few dollars at the GoFundMe to help out some Starcraft :D

Unfortunately I will out of the country while this is taking place. Wish I could go!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Loving GSL this round. It just wrapped up but I want to watch the 2nd group of Ro8 before I watch the end. For the Ro16, all the days were good, but Group B and D had a lot of good games. I, and the english casters, were very surprised that this GSL applied the patch during the tournament. I know they play on custom map modes so they didn't have to do this, it's very odd to me to have a big tournament where the patch and map pool changes halfway through :shrug: Anyway, great games so far and seeing more Protoss than normal, hope to catch up fully this weekend :hellyeah: