Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I've only watched Vibe's series for Terran but if you're a Terran yourself I highly recommend also checking out other pros' build order videos as a supplement. I think Vibe does a very good job of helping with the fundamentals but the Terran build he focuses on (Thors, Hellbats, some tanks) is just about the most boring one there is to use. It's great for getting better at macro and winning ranked games but nowhere near as fun as Terran can really be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

To be fair I think Vibe's basic builds for all the races in B2GM are boring as hell, it just drives home the point that as long as you are efficient, make enough economy and are always building units you can win right up through platinum while barely ever looking at your units. It is a thing that a lot of people never appreciate until they try it themselves.

I think as a new player even if you aren't disciplined enough to follow a rigid but boring/vanilla build like those, it's at least important to try to identify benchmark timings of when you hit certain supply counts and max out, how many workers you should max out at and when do you hit 50-60-70 workers etc. and what timings you get your second, third and fourth bases, and so on. Just being conscious of those benchmarks and pushing yourself a little harder to hit quicker timings for those helps your game.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I've been brain damaged from playing zerg since sc1, so off-racing the B2GM builds was a good way to drill in timings, and where you could get hung up on a build or supply.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Keegers posted:

That's awesome! If you want to get semi serious I would recommend vibes bronze to GM series for your favorite race.

But to be honest I've had more fun just winging it and knowing I'm bad then actually trying to improve anymore. Nice thing is sc2 is so populated you can always play someone at your skill level so there is no sense in needing to get good because there's players of all calibers on ladder.

Zwabu posted:

Yeah I think Vibe's Bronze 2 GM approach is by far the best to just get a solid foundation of play, but ultimately do whatever is fun. Like if doing a cheesy bunker or cannon rush and getting decent at that is fun, do that, but if you start out that way you will rapidly hit a hard ceiling of players who know how to scout for and/or respond to those type of builds.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've been watching replays and tournaments for a while, so I have a vague understanding of how these units work/relate/counter each other. The biggest holes in my game right now are purely mechanics. I get all clammy and don't know how to grow toward a progression path. I also let my macro stagnate super badly.

Soon I'll be getting beaten by better players than the ones that currently beat me.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/JinAirGW/status/1333335234603978752

Jin air disbanded... Some of the best players in the world are now free agents.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Keegers posted:

Oof.

Was a matter of time before we saw people jump off ship, but I wish they hadn't.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Looks like I'm going to have to wait to be unbanned (again)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFZCjg0ldhk&t=2842s

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Keegers posted:

rip... just about the end :(

:ripzeez: :rip: Jin air

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
GSL Super Tournament Dark v Byun that is just heartbreaking, this is the second time I've seen Byun playing super well at first but then dropping off a cliff due to wrist issues. He was so close to taking the series.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Griefor posted:

GSL Super Tournament Dark v Byun that is just heartbreaking, this is the second time I've seen Byun playing super well at first but then dropping off a cliff due to wrist issues. He was so close to taking the series.

The most emotion of any match this year, by far.

Been a great super tournament. Gemini did well as a spot fill-in announcer.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Man, some fun quarterfinal matches in the GSL Supertournament.

Really fun watching Stats' poo poo eating grin before and after game 1 where he opened with a cannon rush into DT's. I don't know if the world is ready for Stats embracing his inner cheese.

Also, the biggest shocker was of course Rogue 3-0'ing Maru. I do think Maru sometimes doesn't respect his opponent enough and plays too aggressively and gets behind assuming he'll just own the opponent with an early push like he usually does. It is funny listening to Tastosis really correctly label GSL players, like tagging Rogue as the guy who is sometimes just unbeatable and other times where he washes out in the round of 16 or whatever and looks like he doesn't even want to be there, his play is so indifferent. I love Rogue at his best, I felt like he's the first guy who came up with real solid SC2 strats that worked against stuff like late game mech, but yeah when he looks out of form it's just baffling sometimes.

Also, I don't know WTF with Dark going roach ravager into lurker vs. bio. Unless used with an early all-in assassination timing I honestly don't think I've ever seen that work, unlike ling bane into lurker/viper. It was mainly impressive that he made some of those games last as long as they did. Maybe he was able to own people on ladder with that and thought he'd uncork a new build in this tournament, but TY totally refuted it.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 12, 2020

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Last day of ST was fun. I actually expected TY vs Rogue for the finals, so shows what I know. Happy to see Protoss doing well again. All three games that Stats won, Trap basically game the game away with bad micro in a key engagement — like in one of them he had a bunch of stalkers wasting shots on a shield battery that he never got close to taking out, and in two others he had immortals concentrating fire on a nexus.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

My second unbanning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzmQbt1gAvM&t=793s

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

you're turning into a goddamn celebrity

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Is this the starcraft thread of the Fozzy the Bear thread?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Is the game here, how brutally you can burn the poor guy and have him laugh along? I'm very for it...

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Is zeez still a thing? I am getting back into SC2 after being gone since like 2012. The Discord invite link in the OP is dead and the zeez clan chat in SC2 is dead

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

rip zeez

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

ashgromnies posted:

Is zeez still a thing? I am getting back into SC2 after being gone since like 2012. The Discord invite link in the OP is dead and the zeez clan chat in SC2 is dead

There are a handful of us that play; discord is still up and folks still talk a fair amount.

If no other zeezer gets an invite link up, I'll update with a new one tomorrow morning when I get on my pc~~

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Clem vs Bunny game 1 in Dreamhack Last Chance was a funny game that’s worth catching on VOD.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I'd like to join up and play, but I'm less than 50 games in, experience-wise.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'd like to join up and play, but I'm less than 50 games in, experience-wise.

Here you go fellow friends https://discord.gg/JTZe9ay2g3

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Trap is a pretty good Starcraft II player

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

ashgromnies posted:

What is dead may never die

Rip zeez

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Super tournament announced.

No rogue, ty, or Maru.

Okay.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Super tournament announced.

No rogue, ty, or Maru.

Okay.

Rogue lost in the qualifiers to sOs in his upper bracket and Special in the lower bracket.
TY lost to Zoun in the UB, Dream in the LB.
Maru didn't even play in the qualifiers.

Fun fact, the only Zerg to get out in the upper bracket was DRG. :getin:

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Synastren posted:

Rogue lost in the qualifiers to sOs in his upper bracket and Special in the lower bracket.
TY lost to Zoun in the UB, Dream in the LB.
Maru didn't even play in the qualifiers.

Fun fact, the only Zerg to get out in the upper bracket was DRG. :getin:

Please tell me Zoun is looking good and has mastered those spinny dudes that fire out balls that explode after a few seconds.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
zoun is a loving psycho

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Protoss are back babey.

Does this bode well for code S?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

zoun is a loving psycho

He looks ice cold 100% of the time.

I really hope he wins a gsl or two.

I don't know if I like game 2 or 3 v. Zest more. I love a pro level cannon rush so much.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I'm catching up to games. 2021 GSL ST S1 Ro16 Trap vs Dark -- That neural play oh man. Stasis wards? Disruptor shot? heck yeah

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I don't know what I expected, but I'm still disappointed in the 30 year bundle giving sc just portraits. Hell the best sc thing in it is for the overwatch rein skin (the main reason I bought the bundle).

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Finally caught up on ST. I’m sad for Zoun; feels like he got screwed in some ways by having to play three PvPs in a row, but then again, maybe he doesn’t make the finals otherwise.

drepimetheus
Aug 10, 2018
Shopify/Tobias Lutke is definitely a pillar of the community.

Scarlett, Byun, and Lambo joined a newly formed Shopify team. "Rebellion".

I was just thinking about Scarlett the other day and wondering how's she faring. She did some showmatches with Tastosis and I thought she left SK.

I'm happy that groups aren't just disbanding, like with Arcangels.

If you're still reading this, I hope you're having a great day and you enjoy yourself every time you pull the boys.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Starcraft legends is a good watch so far.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Keegers posted:

Starcraft legends is a good watch so far.

Yeah, super fun for casual games.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

For those who missed it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmmpo5PznWA

Its both brood war and sc2

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

drepimetheus posted:

Shopify/Tobias Lutke is definitely a pillar of the community.

Scarlett, Byun, and Lambo joined a newly formed Shopify team. "Rebellion".

TLO is the manager of the team, and it was for this job that he left TL and retired from professional play.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
It was hard to watch those Scarlett games :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
This thread is going to be moving to Retro Games.