Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The finals were impressive and fun, especially that conclusion. But I felt a few of the games were actually kind of lame and *relatively* sloppy considering the players.

Still, a very wholesome tournament :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

rjmccall posted:

I’d say Zerg has pretty good counters to airtoss; hydras can be massed and chew through intercepters, corrupters are pretty strong, Neural just wrecks, abducts into hydras/corrupters are a great way to take the fight on your terms, and people are starting to realize that even Microbial Shroud makes a huge difference.

Hydras are terrible vs. skytoss after 10 minutes.

The best late game comp vs. skytoss late game is corrupters/infestor/viper with ultra or broods to zone out the AOE. You chain fungal the air army while landing parasitic bombs then dart your corrupters in to take out the carriers. Taking the engagement over a spore crawler forest is also mandatory. Vipers are probably the best spellcaster in the game but they are incredibly hard to use even at the pro level. Easier for pros to get really good at queen-walk variations which are incredibly strong against protoss in the early game.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Happy soO's Day!

I'm toying with the idea of actively trying to improve through deliberate practice on stream, but it's going to be fairly boring to observe, I think. Not sure if that's something folks would be interested in or not!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Maru vs Reynor was an incredible series

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Serral has decided to remind the world how good he is at IEM.

The man is a monster.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

We get 3 zergs in the semis and then 2 in the finals.

Lame.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Ornery and Hornery posted:

We get 3 zergs in the semis and then 2 in the finals.

Lame.

I know! Time to nerf Protoss!!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Good finals. I think some of the earlier series were better, but I can’t complain about the ending.

Still weird to see 3/4 semifinalists be non-Koreans, but European Starcraft has gotten so good the last few years. It really shows how a few great players can drag a whole scene upwards because that’s just the level you have to be at now to be competitive. Also, I think there’s been a bit of a reverse effect on the Koreans, with so many great players either retiring or going into the military recently that top-tier play is driven by just a few people.

Protoss meta peaked too soon. :(

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Of course they are nerfing protoss, but this caught my eye:
Queen
Can no longer transfuse off creep

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/starcraft2/23774006/starctaft-ii-5-0-9-ptr-patch-notes

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
holy poo poo a patch

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Thank god that the Protoss reign of terror is finally over

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Queens finally getting a nerf?!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Samopsa posted:

holy poo poo a patch

^^^

Surprised they ain’t hitting zerg more.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

:allears:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

GSL is having a different format this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-HGmISR-uA&t=119s

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

They've always had a bit of fun with these photo shoots but now they're just running with anything the production guys think would be fun.

I like it.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I love the new GSL format. More games, and much better at actually getting the top players all the way through the tournament instead of screwing people with bad draws in the round of 8.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

a god drat idiot posted:

They've always had a bit of fun with these photo shoots but now they're just running with anything the production guys think would be fun.

I like it.

It's weird that they let DRG and Dark wear their normal clothes but made Classic and Dream don some costumes.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Synastren posted:

It's weird that they let DRG and Dark wear their normal clothes but made Classic and Dream don some costumes.

Zerg are op OG, hth

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Dude who speedruns the sc2 campaign and does other weird challenges made a really good video about 1) the state of rts and 2) what makes rts games have staying power and 3) who they should actually be targeting. It's got a lot of really good insights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XehNK7UpZsc

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Is Microsoft going to run or sponsor any SC2 tournaments now? Will there be anything comparable to what Blizzcon was for SC2?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I haven't watched SC2 in probably five years now, and I just decided to work my way through a couple of recent VODs, the Super Tournament specifically, and my mind is blown by seeing so many recognizeable names.
Zest, Classic, herO, Trap, Maru, Dark, Rogue, Byun, Dream and Solar are still trucking? Holy poo poo.

Also, tasteless got big, drat.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Dude who speedruns the sc2 campaign and does other weird challenges made a really good video about 1) the state of rts and 2) what makes rts games have staying power and 3) who they should actually be targeting. It's got a lot of really good insights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XehNK7UpZsc

I want to listen to that, but that dude's voice cadence is so annoying.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I want to listen to that, but that dude's voice cadence is so annoying.

The single biggest point that he makes is that RTS devs effectively sabotage their games by dumping resources into competitive 1v1 poo poo that no one actually cares about (from a market perspective, obviously hardcore players like 1v1). What people play in every RTS at a rate of 9:1 all the way up to almost 20:1 ratio is 1) the campaign and 2) custom maps/games. Beyond having an actually good, fleshed out campaign, he cites several examples of how, above almost all else, what really makes a game stick around are powerful map editors/modding tools, which I'm inclined to agree with.

Also makes the interesting point that SC2 still had 2 million monthly users several years ago and the number of users has apparently only gone up since going f2p, so it does seem like there is still a substantial desire to play RTS that none of the RTS offerings have really managed to tap into.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
What's most important for a new RTS is finding a way to convert a higher percentage of campaign players into online players. Those campaign players will disappear after a few months if they aren't hooked on muliplayer. You do that by having a functional competitive ladder system, fun casual team-based games (team ladder or co-op), and a strong custom game system. Frostgiant seems to be really focused on this problem so I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
A bunch of RTS games have achievements for 'played a single online match against another player' yet they range from 5-10%, so I'm inclined to agree with his thesis that having a functional competitive ladder is very much not a big part of converting players into regular/online players.

quote:

fun casual team-based games (team ladder or co-op), and a strong custom game system

Yeah these are the key things. as far as we ever heard, co-op and arcade both blew 1v1 games/month completely out of the water by an order of magnitude or more.

I'm definitely excited to see what frostgiant comes up with, they seem well enough funded that they don't have to pick and choose features and development priorities nearly as frugally as a bunch of other RTS devs have had to.

E: btw a bunch of really good games in today's GSL. felt like every game on hardline was a banger

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 24, 2022

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

E: btw a bunch of really good games in today's GSL. felt like every game on hardline was a banger

G3 of Ryung vs. Zest is probably the best TvP I've ever seen. Ryung's micro and EMPs won him that game. Zest played really, really well but he didn't seem to have any answer to the number of EMPs that Ryung was throwing down. Seems like disruptors would have been the hard counter to this so I was surprised to see Zest continuously remaxing on the same comp time after time. Whoever figures out how to micro disruptors and HTs at the same time will take protoss to the next level. Super sick series.

Armani also had a few amazing games - sad he didn't make it out of the group.

grenada fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 24, 2022

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

laxbro posted:

G3 of Ryung vs. Zest is probably the best TvP I've ever seen. Ryung's micro and EMPs won him that game. Zest played really, really well but he didn't seem to have any answer to the number of EMPs that Ryung was throwing down. Seems like disruptors would have been the hard counter to this so I was surprised to see Zest continuously remaxing on the same comp time after time. Whoever figures out how to micro disruptors and HTs at the same time will take protoss to the next level. Super sick series.

Armani also had a few amazing games - sad he didn't make it out of the group.

I was getting frustrated watching that game, he just kept re-maxing with the same unit comp and then got destroyed, over and over.

The first winner's match game was soo good.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/WhiteRaSC/status/1507065008102023176
dude

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
nationwars gonna be lit

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Horrible joke aside, Hellraiser2 as well

https://twitter.com/hellraisersc2/status/1506947326648193030?s=20&t=hkMRezX9r7LovE7pLXpdZg

Pengwin
Apr 3, 2007

MIND MIND MIND

A bunch of RTS games have achievements for 'played a single online match against another player' yet they range from 5-10%, so I'm inclined to agree with his thesis that having a functional competitive ladder is very much not a big part of converting players into regular/online players.

Yeah these are the key things. as far as we ever heard, co-op and arcade both blew 1v1 games/month completely out of the water by an order of magnitude or more.

I'm definitely excited to see what frostgiant comes up with, they seem well enough funded that they don't have to pick and choose features and development priorities nearly as frugally as a bunch of other RTS devs have had to.

I don't know what the right business decision is, but I for one am glad that Frost Giant has committed to put significant focus on developing 1v1. I'm one of those "hardcore" players that's spent hundreds or thousands of hours focusing on 1v1 and only a fraction of that on other game modes. I feel like I'm a lot more valuable a customer than most RTS fans judging by how much of my headspace I've dedicated to them over the years. It's been a huge part of my life--something a lot of competitive players but probably few campaign players can relate to. Admittedly I'm not sure exactly how that converts monetarily. I probably wouldn't hesitate to jump on some type of subscription model targeted at the competitive player base.

Even if players like that are a fraction of the overall pool who purchase the game, I think they have outsized importance. And it's not like there's none of us out there. Again, not a business person but in absolute terms I think the "hardcore" audience is certainly large enough an audience to cater a AAA-budget game to. For me and for a lot of the good friends I've made through SC2, those games will always be our #1.

e: and I should say, the less a dev focuses on 1v1, the less likely that the game will be appealing to me. It takes a lot to make an interesting competitive RTS.

Pengwin fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 26, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

gsl group b was incredible.

Every set was interesting in its own right.

What a treat.

What a feast.

God bless the GSL.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nightmare can take a map off Rogue? I'm so glad they nerfed Protoss, clearly they are way too OP

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Creator!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I'm glad gumiho is back

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What a delightful series of groups for GSL :)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lol at (Group E) RagnaroK

what if I just build my first hatchery near you, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Today's GSL is so fuckin good.