Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Zephro posted:

Doesn't Maru have a history of underperforming at short tourneys? Vs GSL where he's got time to prepare and plan and stuff

In his entire career, the only offline weekend tournament he's ever won was WESG last year. That's also the last tournament that Serral dropped an offline "best of" set.

ed:
Yo if you weren't watching Serral/Inno on the B stream, you're missing some pretty incredible bullshit.

Game is still going.

As a reminder, this set does not matter for qualification purposes. :psyduck:

Synastren fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

That was painful. Super late game TvZ is No Fun.

Edit: Serral is going to lose his streak in a meaningless series. That's kinda sad.

Yoshi Wins fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 1, 2019

Nutsack Rangoon
Mar 30, 2010

EVERYTHING IS NUMBERED HERE. THE MONSTER IS ZERO.
Brings a tear to my eye to finally see skill overcoming imba. Maybe we'll be blessed with no Terran in ro12 :getin:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Really wish IEM/ESL would get their poo poo together with VOD organization it's really confusing on their twitch channel.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

VelociBacon posted:

Really wish IEM/ESL would get their poo poo together with VOD organization it's really confusing on their twitch channel.

It's always a couple of days behind, but https://sc2casts.com/ is always great.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Zephro posted:

Doesn't Maru have a history of underperforming at short tourneys? Vs GSL where he's got time to prepare and plan and stuff

Underperforms a bit but still usually makes really deep runs

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm happy Scarlett is doing well!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The gently caress is this horseshit with all the cool players being knocked out.

Also put up vods faster I don’t want endless live reruns

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I feel like this IEM might be the most stacked field ever. Like, everybody who's anybody in SC2 is/was in it. Is that true? I mean it's a feast, it's SC2 gluttony, with matches between major tournament champions all over the place, pairings that would be a great finals for a Blizzcon or GSL almost every time you look at a stream.

It's giant plates of crab legs, shrimp, prime rib and creme brulee piled up as far as the eye can see! I'm already puking but coming back for more!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Also put up vods faster I don’t want endless live reruns

You know on Twitch you can watch the VOD of a match pretty much right away, right?

If you go to the Twitch page for ESL_SC2 and go to the "videos" section/tab, and look under "recent broadcasts", the most recent one that's several hours long contains all the matches from that most recent broadcast, you can scroll through or skip all the filler material or matches you aren't interested in. I'm pretty sure that video is created and posted continually as the broadcast is ongoing, meaning if they are five hours into a ten hour broadcast, you can watch that video from the recent broadcast section even as it is being created and added to:

https://www.twitch.tv/esl_sc2/videos

remember
Nov 23, 2006
This SoO Serral match is insane so far.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Serral vs Soo just had one of the best games of sc2 i've ever seen

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

remember posted:

This SoO Serral match is insane so far.

I don't think I've ever seen a roach/ravager war like that.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Game 3 of soo - Serral is probably the game of the weekend.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

gently caress i dont know how i feel about this

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Synastren posted:

gently caress i dont know how i feel about this

I'm disappointed but I'm going to root for SoO now. It would mean so much to him to beat Serral and then finally get first at a tournament of this caliber.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Dark looks to be in the best form I've ever seen him.

I was really impressed by the games of Scarlett, Ragnarok and Bunny in this tournament too.

Amazing how many giants you had to slay even to make it out of groups in this event.

I hope sOo wins also. I have a little more hopes for him than usual, I think he can do better vs. Protoss than Terran in a finals and he seems fine in ZvZ. If he can just do what he's doing and not think or get finals-itis.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Solar with the kickass comeback win.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Zwabu posted:

You know on Twitch you can watch the VOD of a match pretty much right away, right?

If you go to the Twitch page for ESL_SC2 and go to the "videos" section/tab, and look under "recent broadcasts", the most recent one that's several hours long contains all the matches from that most recent broadcast, you can scroll through or skip all the filler material or matches you aren't interested in. I'm pretty sure that video is created and posted continually as the broadcast is ongoing, meaning if they are five hours into a ten hour broadcast, you can watch that video from the recent broadcast section even as it is being created and added to:

https://www.twitch.tv/esl_sc2/videos

Last night when the twitch live stream was going on with the rerun, I couldn’t access a vod of the whole thing. I only had access to a single 18 minute chunk of that days content. The most recent big vod of an entire day was from a couple days earlier.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Order of preference for who I want to win now:

1. SoO - Would love to see him get the monkey off his back. Although maybe it's more of a 600 pound gorilla than a monkey.
2. Hero - Cool, aggressive, old school Protoss
3. Dark - I'm almost afraid of how high his swagger level would go if he won this tournament.
4. Stats - Stats is kinda boring.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Yoshi Wins posted:

Order of preference for who I want to win now:

1. SoO - Would love to see him get the monkey off his back. Although maybe it's more of a 600 pound gorilla than a monkey.
2. Hero - Cool, aggressive, old school Protoss
3. Dark - I'm almost afraid of how high his swagger level would go if he won this tournament.
4. Stats - Stats is kinda boring.

My only hope is anyone but Stats because holy poo poo he's so droll. herO has personality and history; soO has a curse to break, and he's already dropped Serral so maybe he'll overcome; Dark hasn't won a Real Tournament in almost three years despite consistently being a top 3 zerg. If soO is the ultimate kong, Dark is the semifinalist zerg.

Stats shows relatively little variation in his play, and in his interviews.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I agree with all that, except except I think you mean dull instead of droll?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Yoshi Wins posted:

I agree with all that, except except I think you mean dull instead of droll?

Dull would have worked better, probably, yeah. But now that I've committed, there is something profound about just how uninteresting Stats' play is in combination with his bland interviews. :v:

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

You know, it could work if we say he's droll like Ben Stein's character in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

Dark is the Cute One, so I'm all in for him.

But for real, his series with solar was a lot of fun today.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Goddamn I hate what swarm hosts look like. Bleechhhhh.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I haven't followed Korean starcraft in years, I must admit that I am only vaguely familiar with the players left.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I have to say I'm not entirely convinced by this "Protoss is overpowered" meme. For an OP race they sure are bad at actually winning tournaments, heh

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Zephro posted:

I have to say I'm not entirely convinced by this "Protoss is overpowered" meme. For an OP race they sure are bad at actually winning tournaments, heh

It's because all the protoss players are bad and all the zerg and terran players are super good.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Oasx posted:

I haven't followed Korean starcraft in years, I must admit that I am only vaguely familiar with the players left.

If you've been away awhile, I have good news: A lot of people believe this is the best meta ever. There's an excellent mix of macro and cheese, balance is good, and every unit is viable and sees use.

SC2 lives!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Fuckin' YEAH soO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH6a1iYQ0GA

I guess someone had to win the kong battle!

Agreed that I actually think this might be the best meta right now. Certainly for ZvZ anyway.

Sadly I do think that the best games were in the earlier rounds and group in this tournament but there were so many great players that there were a lot of those.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

IEM Katowice 2019 Replay Pack!

http://esl.gg/katowice19sc2replays

I just watched Ty vs Solar game 1, sweet Z vs Mech game!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
That was a super boring grand finals but I’m glad he won

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That was a super boring grand finals but I’m glad he won

Yeah I feel like the great games from this tournament came from the group stages.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Blessed photo:

https://twitter.com/psi_Ragnarok/status/1102342895724609542

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Zwabu posted:

Agreed that I actually think this might be the best meta right now. Certainly for ZvZ anyway.

ZvZ is the best it has been the entire time I've played (so since 2013), without a single doubt.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

There's more smiles in that picture than you see in an entire season of GSL

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

There’s also more beer

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

One thing I really appreciated about the production values in this IEM: Whenever someone started to win a game, the camera crew were great at getting a reaction shot of the player being owned, muttering to themselves, with an ironic smile etc. More clutch reaction shots like that than I can ever recall seeing. It was great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What a great story. Love soO so much and you could see even Stats was happy for him after the last match.

Wish artosis/tasteless could have casted it but all the same.