Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Cicero posted:

Yeah and just in general I agree with the commentators, can't remember if it was Rotti or Artosis who said it, but AlphaStar looks considerably stronger on attack than defense in general. It looks somewhat trickable.
One problem of self-taught AI is that it has to come up with strategies itself so that it can come up with solutions. I kinda wonder if Mana's immortal drop was one of those situations: it hadn't seen someone do that often enough for the counter to become part of its decision tree.

This happened with OpenAI for Dota 2, too: the 1v1 AI was vulnerable to a particular cheese strat (creepcutting), and they lost both of their 5v5 showmatches at TI8 more or less because the agent never developed any notion of farm priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

golden bubble posted:

The developers did a great job at limiting raw APM, but they need to limit useful APM. While human pros have more clicks than the AI, the AI still has a massive micro advantage, because human clicks are often wasted or imprecise.

Yeah, I feel like "average APM" is the wrong metric: an AI doesn't have to keep its hands warm, so to speak.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Competitive brood war ASL has best of 1’s in the round of 16.

That seems insane.
Pretty sure that's a holdover from old school Starleague.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Synastren posted:

Truthfully, I'd be somewhat surprised if WCS exists next year they start spooling it down so that it isn't funded at all by Blizz after 2020. They'll want to shift focus to WCR, and they'll "let" SC2 competition be completely fan- and third party- sourced.
WC3 was never as big of a thing as Brood War, and it's not like Blizzard did all that much for Brood War when SCR came out. If they start winding down WCS, they won't really have anything to replace it with except OWL.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Smythe posted:

HSC is far and away the best tourney in all of esports, and its leaps and bounds better than the dog poo poo it spawned like "the summit" which tries to mimic it but fails in some indescribable way. not sure if its some kind of attitude that take and co inspire or what but its like way, way different.
I got the impression that the (Dota) Summit's problem is that the teams attending take the opportunity to scrim with each other and otherwise practice with the whole team in the same room, leaving much less time for them to cast and get drunk and randomly wander into frame during the other matches, all of which are time-honored HSC traditions.

BTS apparently also does CS:GO and Smash Summits; I can't speak for how successful those are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Zwabu posted:

Is there any competitive online game that's had as many continuous years of an active tournament scene as SC/SC2?
Not online until recently, but you could argue that the Street Fighter series qualifies.