Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Grey seems to have a knack for creating universes where carriers have been made obsolete because battleships keep sinking them in gun duels, and the Soviets are counterattacking and encircling all of AGN like two months into the war. So yeah I'm sure WitW is also gonna have some insane twist that's far funnier than anything history has to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

kw0134 posted:

So are we planning on redoing the same mistakes the Allies did or we itching to make wholly new debacles of our own choosing despite knowing better?
This is Grey we're talking about, many debacles will happen. My hopes are another GH Iwo Jima, Total War in Spain, or New Caledonia operation don't happen in this playthrough.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

My prediction is that Grey manages to take Berlin before liberating France

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
which plan is going to take out the most british BBs?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Probably the one where he sails them up the Rhein to provide artillery support

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Does the game have a rule restricting landings to Italy until you unlock D-Day? If not, can you pull everything out of Africa and just hit Cuxhaven with everything you got and drive to Hamburg from there?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I vote Corsica/Sardinia and then stright to France.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asehujiko posted:

Does the game have a rule restricting landings to Italy until you unlock D-Day? If not, can you pull everything out of Africa and just hit Cuxhaven with everything you got and drive to Hamburg from there?

I assumed it would be chaos to transport all the necessary troops from Africa all the way up north.

Not to mention how possibly suicidal it would be to try and send thousands upon thousands of troops through all of the french, Belgian and dutch coast and right into the heart of Germany.

Would love to see it though.

I say you invade on the opposite side of Messina, prevent reinforcements from crossing the strait while keeping your troops in relatively decent supply areas.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Crazycryodude posted:

Grey seems to have a knack for creating universes where carriers have been made obsolete because battleships keep sinking them in gun duels, and the Soviets are counterattacking and encircling all of AGN like two months into the war. So yeah I'm sure WitW is also gonna have some insane twist that's far funnier than anything history has to offer.

He's gonna nuke Vienna. Accidently.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Mans posted:

I assumed it would be chaos to transport all the necessary troops from Africa all the way up north.

Not to mention how possibly suicidal it would be to try and send thousands upon thousands of troops through all of the french, Belgian and dutch coast and right into the heart of Germany.

Would love to see it though.

I say you invade on the opposite side of Messina, prevent reinforcements from crossing the strait while keeping your troops in relatively decent supply areas.
I'd imagine you'd ship everybody from Tangiers, past neutral Iberia, take a wide berth around France, go north through the Irish Sea and approach Germany from the north west instead of hugging the coast all the way and going through the Channel.

We're well into the wholesale slaughter of U-boats era of the war and Germany is down to two capital ships, both of which are cowering in a fjord in Norway somewhere, in theory any part of the Atlantikwall is as good as any as an invasion target.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
why are we not going into the balkans

it's the soft underbelly after all

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I'm not sure they have the ports needed to support an invasion that far away.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I was going to suggest sending all your troops to Russia to help crush Army Group North, but I forgot this is 1943. By then in your WiTE game you'll probably be in Berlin already!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mycroft Holmes posted:

:Crying Churchill:

Grey should follow Churchill's inspired plan to liberate the Balkans first.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Asehujiko posted:

I'm guessing it's possible to knock Italy out of the war with some specific captures and that has benefits which can be ahistorically magnified.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Arbite posted:

I'm guessing it's possible to knock Italy out of the war with some specific captures and that has benefits which can be ahistorically magnified.

There's three triggers:

1) on the turn an amphibious invasion of mainland Italy is executed;
2) if any hex in mainland Italy is under Western Allies control and in supply; or
3) if all of either Sardinia, Corsica, or Sicily is under Western Allies control.

It's a bit unclear to me whether the first case is repeatable or not, but the other two definitely are.

The check compares the CV of German units that are at least 10 hexes away from WAllied units to a roll from 1-200. If the roll is over the total (which is divided by 4 for a check caused by reasons 1 and 2 above but not for reason 3), Italy surrenders. In any case, Italy cannot surrender before August 1943, and during August 1943 the German garrison value is never divided by 4 no matter what triggers the check.

The August '43 limit was patched in, so my suspicion is it was a fairly common tactic to try and force Italy out of the war.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Crazycryodude posted:

Naval invasion of Denmark 1943

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Naval invasion of Denmark 1943

Ah yes, the soft neck of Europe

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
The stooge eye poke of Europe

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

invade leningrad

they'll never see it coming

then all your soldiers can starve to death there lol

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Clearly we need to invade the Crimea! The Germans will never see it coming and we can march hand in hand with our Soviet comrades to Berlin! :ussr:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The invasions actually take place in the German part of the turn.

My men come ashore with great success, shattering two Italian units, and securing all landing sites.

Note this incudes casualties from before the game started. I don't know when they count this from, but its a bit odd. Still, a 5-1 kill rate on turn one is not bad.

The only change here is I increase the priority of hitting railways in the south.

We lose over 500 aircraft in a week. In WITP, this would be a disaster – here its routine.

The bombers concentrated on the airfields this week.

In Sicily they prepped the next invasion site.

The first wave of airborne troops go in to support the invasion.

The second wave are sent in – the 3rd US infantry divisions job is to cut most of the island off!

Catina surrenders without a fight.

In fact, the invasion forces storm forwards.

The Free French forces and an armoured division are moved in, they will unload next turn.

Overall, a good turn, unless you happened to be a AA gunner in Sicily.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress I love this game.

I mean, it sucks, is bad and I hate it, but it's bringing me back so many happy memories of arriving to Berlin weeks later than historic dates and being worse than Eisenhower.

Also fyi you can just charge up Italy and attack Germany through Italy which is pretty funny. You also used to be able to win the war Christmas 44 but I think they patched that out rip.

Also Rome or bust for the landings, you can do it and it's funny and stupid.

edit: Did has Patton landed yet? Those shell shocked soldiers won't slap themselves.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Italians, get readyt o receive it.. From Behind!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Go Rome or Go Home

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Was losing 500 aircraft in a week actually routine or should I stop asking questions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
issuing a correction to a previous post of mine, you do not, under any circumstances have to hand the invasion of Rome to Mark Clark

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Kibayasu posted:

Was losing 500 aircraft in a week actually routine or should I stop asking questions.

The Luftwaffe were losing 1000 planes a month in late 1944 - by which time things were well and truly south for Germany's air situation. So, might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm not an expert

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 3, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

kw0134 posted:

So are we planning on redoing the same mistakes the Allies did or we itching to make wholly new debacles of our own choosing despite knowing better?

Wholly new debacles are fun. I second taking Sardinia and Corsica first and then going for Rome. Failing that, Salerno sounds fun!

We've got to beat the Ruskies to Berlin, and based on the WitE campaign they're going to be there any day now.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Second front now!

Nice one grey looking forward to this!

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Go Rome and home by Xmas.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Omar comin'.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Jesus christ Grey, another one? You know what, I won't even ask. I'm sure everything's fine for you and you're perfectly capable of managing your life without my commentary.

Go Rome or go home!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Give Grey Jr a divisional command

:colbert:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Off to a good start, but those paratroops cutting off the East coast road are looking a bit like the hound dog that treed a grizzly bear with their 1cp vs that stack with 11cp just South of them. Hope they get some help soon.

Go to Rome immediately. Do not pass Messina. Do not collect two hundred dollars.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I'll be the stick in the mud and vote for whatever plan Grey thinks has the best chance of overall campaign success.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
all roads and sealanes lead to rome

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I would go for Salerno & Naples. Get the big port quickly before the Germans can wreck it and build their mainland defences up.

Can I claim the British 49th West Riding Division as my lucky unit? They are otherwise known to as The Bloody Polar Bear Butchers

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So in this universe are you invading the Eurasian Soviet Union, or is this not part of the Gary Grigsby's Grey Hunter Cinematic Universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Rome or bust!