Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I snip the Axis off from their supplies. They can do nothing but panic.

Casualties are low. There is not much of a front line to be fighting over yet.

My losses are dropping a bit now.

Intel confirms we are doing damage. This ME109 factory is 39% damaged.

I'm also hitting their synthetic refinery's hard.

The lads down south continue to get the support they deserve.

There is little fighting and a lot of moving – there is no point in engaging the enemy until they have been officially cut off! I do push these guys back however.

I do make sure to cut the Italian forces off from the Germans – and most of their HQ's. Another wave of reinforcements is now read to get off the boats and into combat!

Next turn, this will go up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

quote:

man central germany looks really depressing on this map. featureless brown dirt split by factory-lined rivers and criss-crossed by bombed out railroads.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Invade Denmark

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica then simultaneous Overlord and Dragoon.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Running concurrent with WitE, this gives you a real sense of the scope of the eastern front- there both sides are spending a combined 100k men a week in massive clashes, whereas here 20,000 men is a big-rear end force.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

steinrokkan posted:

So in this universe are you invading the Eurasian Soviet Union, or is this not part of the Gary Grigsby's Grey Hunter Cinematic Universe?

It might be the universe of his original War in the East.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Tevery Best posted:

It might be the universe of his original War in the East.

Who knows, maybe all my Allied LPs are one universe and my Axis another?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Grey Hunter posted:

Who knows, maybe all my Allied LPs are one universe and my Axis another?

Who is the Man In The Croctopus Tub?

e: Do we still have a Hearts of Iron IV and/or Kaiserreich thread? I haven't played since HOI 2, I've been reading the Communist Manifesto for the first time and I'm itching to paint the world red on my computer.

Pershing fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 3, 2019

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Pershing posted:

The Man in the High Sandcastle, naturally.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Grey LPs are basically All You Zombies, except instead of time cops or whatever we instead slowly realize that all the military leaders in WWII were simultaneously Grey Hunter all along

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Pershing posted:

e: Do we still have a Hearts of Iron IV and/or Kaiserreich thread? I haven't played since HOI 2, I've been reading the Communist Manifesto for the first time and I'm itching to paint the world red on my computer.

We sure do, here it is.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
Rome would be fun, but I say hit Naples first

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Aw man, I miss the airplane sprites. Air combat is really uninteresting in this.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Air combat is really uninteresting in this.

:darksouls:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Nothing beyond continued panic.

The “raids” column shows Düsseldorf and Wesseling took the brunt of the bombs this week.

Fuel production sites are the main target this week, and they take 40-50% damage in the target area. Hitting their fuel is a good long term stratergy.

The Germans are isolated, time to start hunting them down.

They are well supplied and in good defensive terrain, so this will take a while. These attacks are more about making them use their precious.

Though, it won't take THAT long.

I hem the Italians in, and take another port.

One more strike for luck.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Should I be worried about that mechanized infantry unit parked in Messina, on the northern tip of the island?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The out of supply units didn't immediately surrender or rout. That's a change from the WitE engine. I'm surprised the combat calc is giving them better than even odds.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Should I be worried about that mechanized infantry unit parked in Messina, on the northern tip of the island?

Worst they could do is breakup the encirclement, which frankly the Germans were dumb to get stuck in in the first place. I guess Hitler ordered the Hermann Goring division not to retreat

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Grey Hunter posted:

They are well supplied and in good defensive terrain, so this will take a while. These attacks are more about making them use their precious.

:confused:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

At this point the Greyverse timelines are so snarled, movies and games are now bleeding into these realities.

You remember our venerable grog game, opaque and Byzantine...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Supplies! Supplies! They wants to take thems from us....

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Also in game terms the Germans aren't programmed to do much attacking they mostly fall back to pre designed rally points.

So it would be unlikely.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How does this game work wrt D Day? Is it something you plan and execute on your own, or are you railroaded to follow historical scenarios?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
In the actual war, most of the German units were withdrawn from Sicily in good order and promptly put to work defending Italy from Mark Clark and his crew. In overall command of the Germans was Albert "Smiling Al" Kesselring, a tremendously skilled commander who served in both World Wars and was one of the chief architects of the Luftwaffe.

Cutting off the German escape and forcing their surrender will make Grey's invasion of Italy proper easier.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

How does this game work wrt D Day? Is it something you plan and execute on your own, or are you railroaded to follow historical scenarios?

You can D Day wherever you want. Again, Grey will win eventually so he can do some of the wackier ideas, like Western France, Carentan Peninsula for shits and giggles.

In theory the grand strategic reasons make sense for Normandy Beach but again we know we wont lose and can do whatever we want.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The obviously correct D-Day target in this timeline is Hamburg. No, I don't mean the mouth of the Elbe with Hamburg being the first major target ashore. I mean Hamburg.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Grey are we playing with Dynamic Eastern Front or Historical Russian Advances?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

algebra testes posted:

You can D Day wherever you want. Again, Grey will win eventually so he can do some of the wackier ideas, like Western France, Carentan Peninsula for shits and giggles.

In theory the grand strategic reasons make sense for Normandy Beach but again we know we wont lose and can do whatever we want.

I thought we decided that grey's going to attack through the soft underbelly of Europe, "the Balkans".

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Would be better to prevent Hitler's clones from escaping, so invade through the Falklands and go from there

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Land at Gallipoli and push up through the Balkans. It'll work this time, we swear!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Land in the Balkans and at Danzig and meet in the middle, cutting off the Commies from the rest of Europe. Call it Operation Iron Curtain.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Land in the Balkans and at Danzig and meet in the middle, cutting off the Commies from the rest of Europe. Call it Operation Iron Curtain.

Operation Dibsies must be done

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Oddly enough, the German phase is the only time you get to see what damage your bombers are doing in an easy to digest manner.

Otherwise, again nothing happens.

A few more tweaks.

Grey finds a new button. Face palms tentacles.

Their fuel production has been hammered again, and I've also hit their railyard in Hamm hard.

Down south I hit the rail lines, I assume this is losses in strategic movement points – if so, this is effective use of planes!

The Italians are now cut off. Let the mass surrenders begin!

Wait, held? I thought these were Italians?

Oh wait, there we go.

I start advancing on the other side of the island.

The Germans take a few attacks to shift, but I shift them from their prepared defences.

Then the surrendering starts.

I mean, would you want to mess with General “gently caress Hitler for demonising this style of moustache” Martin up there?

All in all, I leave them in a poor state by the end.

40,000 men captured along with 105 armoured vehicles – do you think they need 30 MkIV's, 42 MKIII's and 26 STUGs?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

How did the Panzer division shatter and not surrender? Did the survivors swim to the mainland or something?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grey Hunter posted:

Wait, held? I thought these were Italians?

The defender CV went from 100 to 83, and then the attacker CV went from 64 to 26. Patton must have had the runs or something that day.

sum posted:

How did the Panzer division shatter and not surrender? Did the survivors swim to the mainland or something?

Shattering happens when the conditions for a retreat exist, and we know they do because the 3/15th Panzergrenadier Division only retreated within that same combat, but the unit is so badly mauled in the fight that they do not retreat in good order, and do not even rout in bad order, but simply disintegrate entirely.

It's rare and generally uncontrollable, but it's one of the few (possibly the only?) way to completely delete a unit from the map without having to encircle them.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

gradenko_2000 posted:

Shattering happens when the conditions for a retreat exist, and we know they do because the 3/15th Panzergrenadier Division only retreated within that same combat, but the unit is so badly mauled in the fight that they do not retreat in good order, and do not even rout in bad order, but simply disintegrate entirely.

It's rare and generally uncontrollable, but it's one of the few (possibly the only?) way to completely delete a unit from the map without having to encircle them.
Is this just a bunch of Germans running off into the Sicilian countryside to find an Italian wife, get a job at a bakery and try not to speak too loudly for the rest of their days?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

The defender CV went from 100 to 83, and then the attacker CV went from 64 to 26. Patton must have had the runs or something that day.cle them.

Yeah, this was a joke - the attack had small chances of succeeding, but it uses up their supplies, so puts me in good sted to wipe them out next turn!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The Narrator posted:

Is this just a bunch of Germans running off into the Sicilian countryside to find an Italian wife, get a job at a bakery and try not to speak too loudly for the rest of their days?
:discourse:

Grey, can we please have a CYOA about the postwar adventures of Heinricchio von Steinizzi, baker’s apprentice?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Oh yay, I missed this thread until today. I love to hate to love to hate WitW, so glad to see it getting the Grey Hunter treatment now!

Have you ever switched off of using the automated air controls in any test games you did? I found in a few of the Italy-only scenarios that it's kinda damned if you do, damned if you don't, as the Air Planning AI has a hard time covering your rear end if you decide to go off the historical rails... stuff like not covering naval interdiction at all when I try to do landings in the heel of the boot, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I forgot about Pilot Nap Time.

Also you can turn off firebombing iirc.

My experiences match Drones, I found the AI airplanner always gets better results than you but also sometimes doesn't follow your advances.