Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkParchment
Sep 23, 2016

A new power is rising! Its victory is at hand! This night, the land will be stained with the blood of Rohan!
Man I'm so glad I'm not one of the poor 116 Allied soldiers that are currently POWs. The Axis soldiers are probably pissed at the whole ''taking almost all of Sicily and bagging several units'' stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Maybe they'll do something when I invade Italy.

We continue to bomb Germany.

Another layer of forts goes down at Messina.

Next week will see them fall, as we strip the last layer in a second attack.

I task the airborne with the invasion or Corsica and Sardinia. I have units ready to support them once they take the ports.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Aug-14-1943
90th Panzergrenadier Division's base CV: 770
Final modified CV: 593 v 325

Aug-21-1943
90th Panzergrenadier Division's base CV: 779
Final modified CV: 629 v 270

Aug-28-1943
90th Panzergrenadier Division's base CV: 531
Final modified CV: 521 v 304

Sep-4-1943 (Attack 1)
90th Panzergrenadier Division's base CV: 393
Final modified CV: 211 v 389

Sep-4-1943 (Attack 2)
90th Panzergrenadier Division's base CV: 205
Final modified CV: 211 v 312

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I don't see the value of pounding away at Messina like this. So you take Messina at great cost, then you amphibiously invade the mainland, which would cut Messina off from supply. Why not just leave a few units behind to keep the enemy from breaking out and bypass Messina? It'll be out of supply soon, then you can take it at your leisure.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gort posted:

I don't see the value of pounding away at Messina like this. So you take Messina at great cost, then you amphibiously invade the mainland, which would cut Messina off from supply. Why not just leave a few units behind to keep the enemy from breaking out and bypass Messina? It'll be out of supply soon, then you can take it at your leisure.

Pounding away at them really only costs the Germans equipment and lives, as even cracking Messina will only result in a retreat and not a shatter or a surrender. The AI will pull out of Messina anyway the minute he lands Allied troops on the Italian mainland.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
How many men have been lost here any way? 15k, 20? Peanuts by the eastern front standards but significant here.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Gort posted:

Pretty borders. Gives Patton something to get mad about.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hey, we killed two of them!

Some good hits here.

We hit the Germans again, and they hold, but they are weakening.

The next wave sends them fleeing across the straits. Sicily is ours! I'm behind schedule, but I've netted a lot more men than the historical invasion.

As some of you may have guessed, my air drop plans are to far behind my lines to work, so I'll have to wait for the invasion force to be ready.

Most units are now getting close to being ready for the next phase of the invasion, the last is at 35 prep, so it will be a few weeks before I can go, so I'm going to run an empty turn. This is later than I would have liked, but I have no idea how to do this any quicker using the game engine! I could use less men in the first wave, but that would be suicide going for Rome in my opinion.

This has to be counting air crews as well.

Getting ready for the big show.

The RAF spread the pain.

The 8th Airforce target two facilities and hammer them.

I have 4 divisions ready to go, and a fifth at 42% I want all 5 divisions ready to go.

The men on Sicily are ready to go, and those who fought hard at Messina are on refit.

Yeah, this screen is weird.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm sure they'll do something when I hit Rome.

The U-boat factories get some attention.

I want to bomb everything, that's the problem.

I mess up their rail lines ahead of the invasion.

This needs to be 50. So no invasion this week.

With no fuel, Germany can't run all those fancy tanks, can it.

Here we go!

Corsica and Sardinia will revolt once we hit the mainland, and I can send troops there once that happens, so we're just waiting on the big show. The last unit would take months to ready, so we're going with 5 Divisions on a 40 mile front.

This feels like a terrible mistake. If this goes tits up, I may well restart the LP!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Do my eyes deceive me or is your landing on the outskirts of Rome like half the size of the landing on Sicily?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The grand plan is, hopefully you'll trigger the AI to retreat, hold beachheads and push up your armor to link up with them south of rome.

I've done the same thing North of Rome and it worked out completely fine so I wouldn't panic.

Also the German loss screen is funky because there is a fog of war for losses so the Germans are probably losing the same amount per turn plus the confirmed losses from combat.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

With Monty in command, the invasion of Italy begins!

The Italians on the coast never know what hits them!

The ports of Anzio and Lida de Roma are secured.

Hurried counter attacks are launched.

So far, the invasion is a stunning success.

Air support is ordered to support the landings and disrupt any troops coming up from the south.

Normal bombing continues.

Hmmm, Interdiction.

The Axis have ringed my landings, but have given me some room to expand.

I flood the area with troops, but as I don't have the movement points to unload, I can't advance much this week – we'll just have to hold out until next turn, when I will have the forces to advance – and bring in the second wave!

We've not forgotten about you, your turn will come.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

So far so good. Lots of Juicy HQs just waiting to be squished if anyone in your second wave can land just a little bit North at Civi.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I don't think Grey has any landings left in the chamber, the "second wave" is units being shipped over in non-combat/strategic/whatever it's called when they're on a freighter mode to be unpacked at the already secured ports, not storm more beaches.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

yeah, the number of landing units is limited, so these guys are using the captured ports and the landing units to come ashore.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Basically the amphibious HQs create a temporary port, depot, and (surprisingly to me) airstrip in the adjacent land hex. They also contain a bunch of supporting formations that assist your troops with making their amphibious assault. You can leave those HQs in place, and now you have a small but serviceable allied port hex, to which you can ship land units, and which can also receive supplies during the supply phase of the automated turn running. Of course, the enemy can interdict your shipping, so you can take losses getting things to those ports, but they seem to be fairly sturdy at defending as long as you keep a unit or two of troops there in good condition.

But you only get five amphibious HQs, they have to sit in a friendly port with the invasion force planning for a long-rear end time with the target hex picked, and you cannot launch them until they're at least at 50% planned. And you can't buy or build more.

So after Sicily, you have to wait for planning to be ready, or you have to rely entirely on paratroop drops... but the paratroops are fairly weak formations and if you can't get friendlys near them they'll be isolated and easily picked off.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Did the Italian surrender trigger successfully? iirc it's supposed to happen as soon as a single hex on the Italian mainland is taken.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Drone posted:

Did the Italian surrender trigger successfully? iirc it's supposed to happen as soon as a single hex on the Italian mainland is taken.

Turn after, so I landed this turn, so they surrender next turn.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The path to Berlin lies through the Alps! :black101:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm considering a landing at Antwerp or Kiel, for shits and giggles...

North and South.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Grey Hunter posted:

North and South.

:getin: Think raiding Scapa Flow with a sub is how you ruin a Navy, Kriegsmarine? Watch this...

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Serpentis posted:

:getin: Think raiding Scapa Flow with a sub is how you ruin a Navy, Kriegsmarine? Watch this...

Churchill was wrong about a lot in the Ottoman campaign, but trying to force the Bosphorus with a shitton of older battleships wasn't one of those things. :colbert: You have capital ships for a reason, and by the time Grey-D-Day rolls around he's going to have massive air superiority.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Grey Hunter posted:

North and South.

I endorse this plan wholeheartedly.

You used to be able to break the game by doing the D-Day Normandy landing as usual, but then send patton into Antwerp with a second D-Day and collapse the German lines. Alas I think that is patched out now.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Germans assault the Beachhead. We hold.

The fighting is fierce, but the number of attacks is limited.

Their losses are higher, but now I have to break out.

Our bombers continue to do good work.

The beach head has some good support.

I unload the troops, and Monty leads the advance out and towards Rome. This is limited as most of the unloading units time is spent readying for battle – but its a start!

Italy Surrenders. While most units on the mainland are disarmed and interned, Corsica and Sardinia have men who are willing to fight before going home. I begin landing troops at the now friendly ports. These troops won't be around for long.

More men land, next turn I hope to have room to bring in a HQ or two.

I think this is Bad for Hitler.

Yep, their all Billy-no-mates up there.

And things are not likely to get any better.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Well, you're almost right on schedule with Italy surrendering, and with much less Allied blood shed than history. Nice!

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Do they model Rome being an open city? Or is Grey going to have to turn it to rubble

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
"oops I death stared the Vatican"

-grey, probably

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sum posted:

Do they model Rome being an open city? Or is Grey going to have to turn it to rubble

depends how many divisions the Pope has

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
If you attack the Vatican will Switzerland join the Axis?

How many inches of armor can halberds penetrate, anyway?

Does the Sherman design suffer from pike-and-shot traps?

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 20, 2019

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Who is that minor axis member contributing 180 planes and absolutely nothing else?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Asehujiko posted:

Who is that minor axis member contributing 180 planes and absolutely nothing else?

Looks like Italian Axis loyalists, maybe

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Asehujiko posted:

Bulgaria or Hungary judging by the flags. Which.... :confused:

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 20, 2019

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Neophyte posted:

If you attack the Vatican will Switzerland join the Axis?

How many inches of armor can halberds penetrate, anyway?

Does the Sherman design suffer from pike-and-shot traps?
if Civilization has taught me anything it's that if you attack a pikeman fortified in a city there's a not insignificant chance of the tank being destroyed

that's just science

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Dawncloack posted:

Bulgaria or Hungary judging by the flags. Which.... :confused:

The Bulgarian air force fought against the Allies during Operation Tidal Wave, among other things

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

kw0134 posted:

if Civilization has taught me anything it's that if you attack a pikeman fortified in a city there's a not insignificant chance of the tank being destroyed

that's just science

that's how mafia works

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

kw0134 posted:

that's just science

Yeah, but in reality those pikes have anti-tank rockets underslung on the haft. Makes more sense when you realize that.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
A pike wall except everybody is holding lunge mines.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I always rationalized it as some sort of subterfuge or sabotage action, like one of the pikemen knows a guy in the tank unit is secretly gay and blackmails him into rigging all the tanks to blow up. Like every combat in a Civ game includes a tiny but non-zero chance of hilarious wartime shenanigans worthy of an episode of Hogan's Heroes.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Italians hold – this is now a good thing.

Bradley continues to hold.

With only two attacks, it's obvious that German High command is still shocked by this bold move. *and quite possibly busy with thousands of Italian prisoners.

Bad weather in Europe limits out ability to do anything.

Over the landing zones, we continue to hit them hard.

I use the Italian troops to soften up the Germans as the Free French forces march north.

On Corsica, poor ports slow the rate I can unload troops.

Thankfully I decided landing paratroopers in mainland Italy was suicide, so I retasked them to hitting here!

More troops are off the ships, and now we begin to push inland.

They have a lot of Panzers up here, and they are tough to shift.

More troops land, including the 7th Corps, 7th US army and 8th British Army.

Here are the forces soon to be ashore, spot your soon to be dead Grandad! (I'm sure mine was attached to one of the 8th army units, but as a Bren gun mechanic. Grandma worked at a Station Y in the UK.)

Things are going pretty well so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Bradley has been a real badass so far.

LOL at the allies bringing almost a thousand artillery pieces on an amphibious assault. Also, outnumbering the local Wehrmact 3:1 in artillery.