Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

LLSix posted:

LOL at the allies bringing almost a thousand artillery pieces on an amphibious assault. Also, outnumbering the local Wehrmact 3:1 in artillery.

#JustAlliedThings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Grey quite a few of your attacks have shown what I think are small numbers of airplanes maybe on CAS but you seem to be losing all or most of them after every attack. Is that what is happening are you losing CAS planes when you attack or is it showing something else. Circled the losses in red.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
And what is that halt range?
On one pic on the islands it is 100, and in mainland Italy it is 1500.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011

Jesenjin posted:

And what is that halt range?
On one pic on the islands it is 100, and in mainland Italy it is 1500.

I think the halt range is because the way the insanely complicated combat engine works. Basically, it lines up all the "devices" on both sides, and they all have ranges, The longest ones fire, then they get closer, and repeat. There is some check at some point to see if the attack is halted because of too many losses, that is the halt range.

I guess in theory it means you could have a bunch of longer ranged things, like tanks, fighting regular infantry, and the tanks would suffer much lower losses because they might drive off the infantry before the inf gets in range of their smaller guns, but in practice, I doubt it really matters.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Bradley holds off another German attack.

Casualties remain light.

Another week of poor weather limits the damage our bombers can do.

Tactical keeps up the good work.

I think clearing these guys out is going to need a few more troops.

Here we should be able to begin our work next turn.

I aim to properly expand the beachhead this week. They are well dug in to the south.

The north, not so much.

With a gap opened, 6th Armoured exploit it.

And we are on the move!

I keep the pressure on.

Now to try an consolidate the advance!

Many units are already worn out by a week of fighting, or are to far to move up. But I take a good 20km of land this week.

Two more armoured divisions and some Canadians arrive, along with the 1st British infantry division and X Corps. I'm even able to unload the 2nd US, readying them for operations next week!

Even losses, not bad for an assault on Rome!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
lol you dumb loving Nazis shits aren't going to move Omar Bradley.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
When fighting in such close quarters, remember to use the Reserve setting so that units with high MP can still participate in the attack, letting you get in additional units despite hexside and stacking limits.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

:stare:

Outnumbered in everything and with no forts but Bradley still holds and inflicts more losses.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Yeah, Bradley's putting in the work here, huh? Never mind masterminding Sicily, Overlord's going to be pretty hyped to have the man who basically held the beachhead at Rome as their leader when that rolls around.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

"tough old gut" my rear end

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah this owns.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It took me shamefully long to realize "BR" at the start of units name means "British" and not "Brazilian".. :eng99:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Nah means they are cold.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Horsebanger posted:

"tough old gut" my rear end

Genius.

Grey Hunter posted:

Nah means they are cold.

Madness.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

koolkevz666 posted:

Grey quite a few of your attacks have shown what I think are small numbers of airplanes maybe on CAS but you seem to be losing all or most of them after every attack. Is that what is happening are you losing CAS planes when you attack or is it showing something else. Circled the losses in red.

Yeah, so I just started playing this game last week so I've been having to learn a lot of this stuff. One of the things you set up with your air planning phase is the ability to do amphibious invasion support, and also ground support. If Grey is using the automatic settings (I hope he is because the alternative is madness), you prioritize various types of ground support missions and then the AI automatically assigns air groups and then during the automated part of the turn, sorties get flown for all kinds of poo poo like recon, ground attack, strategic bombing, etc. But then it will also reserve some airpower to be used during your own active ground turn. When you or the AI make a ground-based attack, the AI throws in some of your planes and you don't have much control of that.

You can undoubtedly micromanage it to make sure you have more ground attack support right where you want it, if you're willing to go into the screens for specific air groups and gently caress around, but so far my experience is that it already takes too long to manage air in this game, you already have to manually assign air groups to new airbases you capture for example, and then make sure they're reasonably supplied, etc. etc. etc. and so you probably don't want to bother doing a lot more work just to make sure you have more fighter-bombers available when your guys attack their guys.

But to directly answer your question, yeah in that screenshot 15 out of 16 supporting fighter-bombers got shot down doing ground attack support, probably because the combination of attacking units has plenty of AA.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Grey you're a madman and I love you. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Also asking if I can CLAIM the 82nd Airborne because it is literally the only unit I recognize.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Grey Hunter posted:

Nah means they are cold.

That's what happens when you fail to supply them with hot tea.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Spotted a turkmen, a georgian and a caucasus unit in the reports. Pretty colorful crew.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I also appreciate Grey landing his Army HQs to assist with the support unit checks.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

LLSix posted:

LOL at the allies bringing almost a thousand artillery pieces on an amphibious assault. Also, outnumbering the local Wehrmact 3:1 in artillery.

Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
the savage man uses aimed fire

the civilized man is obliterated by indirect fire

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Germans react to my breakthrough by declaring Rome and Open city and pulling back to a new defensive line.

A break in the whether allows us to get out there and do some damage.

We hammer them as they retreat, with over fifty ground strikes going in.

I also have to call out an exception raid on Poissy. Which took out 30,000 rail points.

The 82nd Airborne lead the Italians in clean up operations in Corsica.

Eisenhower's men do the same in Sardinia.

More men flow into the POW camps.

8th Army march into Rome. We also take another port.

We don't just take the freely offered land.

I pull back the amphibious landing units, as they are getting damaged, but I bring in a new wave of Free French units that arrived this turn.

Heavy German losses and Rome in November 1943. Things are going well!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Good to hear that Pius XII's head is on a pike, next stop Avignon to quell the antipope uprising.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Now I gotta download CM:FI and make some custom battles from this time line.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Patton must be pissed about having to do cleanup duty while Bradley's killing Nazis in Italy.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Danann posted:

Patton must be pissed about having to do cleanup duty while Bradley's killing Nazis in Italy.

Probably his punishment detail in this universe rather than the dummy army in the UK pre-Overlord. At least this one has actual fighting in it!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
"Men disabled" is a hell of a stat

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For those wondering, if there is a Corps commander, their picture shows up. So Bradley is II Corps, and whenever his units attack his photo shows up.

If Grey for example, has them assigned directly to an Army but not at the Corps level, then the Army Commander's photo shows. That is where Patton is showing up.

If Grey, again, by example, hasn't assigned them to an Army then the AFHQ ie Theater headquarters shows up.

Here's an example, some British units assigned to Monty's army are attacked, because they're no assigned to anyone at the Corps level then Monty's ugly mug appears on the combat report.

Below that you can see that Bradley's II Corps was involved as well.

Honestly I enjoyed the micro level detail of assigning who gets what corps/army/army group command but like a lot of things in WITW it isn't actually necessary to win. Like pilot sleepy nap times which I'm glad Grey is ignoring.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So what's the plan for the south of Italy? Do a invasion on the east coast?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Cut them off then mop them up later. I'll need to take the port of Naples to get the black market glory days supplies flowing.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
:yeshaha:

If they're not pulling everything back pell mell from the south, you're gonna increase the number of captured troops even more. And I don't see any Mark Clark letting that happen.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, so I just started playing this game last week so I've been having to learn a lot of this stuff. One of the things you set up with your air planning phase is the ability to do amphibious invasion support, and also ground support. If Grey is using the automatic settings (I hope he is because the alternative is madness), you prioritize various types of ground support missions and then the AI automatically assigns air groups and then during the automated part of the turn, sorties get flown for all kinds of poo poo like recon, ground attack, strategic bombing, etc. But then it will also reserve some airpower to be used during your own active ground turn. When you or the AI make a ground-based attack, the AI throws in some of your planes and you don't have much control of that.

You can undoubtedly micromanage it to make sure you have more ground attack support right where you want it, if you're willing to go into the screens for specific air groups and gently caress around, but so far my experience is that it already takes too long to manage air in this game, you already have to manually assign air groups to new airbases you capture for example, and then make sure they're reasonably supplied, etc. etc. etc. and so you probably don't want to bother doing a lot more work just to make sure you have more fighter-bombers available when your guys attack their guys.

But to directly answer your question, yeah in that screenshot 15 out of 16 supporting fighter-bombers got shot down doing ground attack support, probably because the combination of attacking units has plenty of AA.

Awesome post, thank you from someone who doesn't have this game and can barely manage with HoI 4 levels of management but is very interested in reading these types of LP and AAR.

Also looking at that battle I screenshotted I think i see another reason why so many fighter-bombers died. 16 fighter-bombers with no air cover vs 17 axis fighters can't be good.

Grey you might want to try and assign some fighter cover to your CAS missions?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Bombers tend to outrange fighters
Once I can take some airbases things will look better.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

We don't just take the freely offered land.

If you were to do an airborne drop into Pescara now you have Rome, wouldn't that cut off the southern flank entirely? Not to mention all the stuff they must still have down in the lower boot.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

If you were to do an airborne drop into Pescara now you have Rome, wouldn't that cut off the southern flank entirely? Not to mention all the stuff they must still have down in the lower boot.

Airborne drops have to be within 8 hexes of a friendly hex (maybe a friendly supplied hex), so I think he has to advance one or two more hexes before he could do that. But it might be smart to start planning for it now, if he has any airborne units free.

Also, the enemy can trace supply through ports, but it's likely that Grey can effectively interdict south italian ports via air from sicily already.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Looks like 8 hexes to me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm assuming you have to count the owned hex you're starting from, but I haven't actually tested that and the manual isn't clear.

In any case, he could drop one hex closer and then attack the city, which is probably smarter anyway since the city may have significant AA and your drop planes can get shot down.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Germans are in full retreat, trying to make a line to my north.

The Italians are freeing themselves from the yolk of the Fascist oppressors.

Bombs fall over Germany as normal.

The 8th Airforce get some good hits in.

I take another port, these guys have a good defensive position, but things are about to get rough for them.

The last defenders in Sardinia surrender. The island is ours!

I make rapid moves to try and form something of a line between the north and south.

While the army has retreated, Goering seems to have ordered is forces to hold – there are two Fallschirmjager divisions and some Panzergrenidiers I would like to capture.

British forces are not strong enough to assault the German line yet, so its still a game of Maneuver.

I'm pretty sure Hitler is unhappy right about now....

I have some nice airbases to bring up some of my air support.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I'm pretty sure Hitler is pissed right now, what with the Soviet front being in complete shambles, and Italy loving off to do Italy things. Hell, Greyverse might see a '43 Hitler suicide at the rate these LPs are going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Those fronts are ~15 months apart, Soviets will probably be at Vistula at this point in WitE..