Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CMD598 posted:

Aren't most of those places more navy towns anyway?

Tacoma is a huge army town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

military recruitment is gonna stay hosed until weed is legalized because why in the world would someone from a state where its legal join the military

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why not just let them continue taking their meds?

I knew a not insignificant number of nukes, myself included, who had various mixes of ADD/ADHD/Depression that was exacerbated by our jobs but nobody dared to seek help for it because it was disqualifying. In our case it was disqualifying by fiat and also maybe because they didn't trust ships doc's to hand out adderal. A lot of kids just never get the help or diagnosis when they were young. Sometimes its because their parents understand the stigma if its an otherwise light case, sometimes even if the kids need it the parents can't afford it, and mostly it seems like its just parents deciding to tell their kids to tough it out or they'll get beaten. When you grow up just having to get by anyway you get out of the mindset that help is available.

Now that I'm not under that doom umbrella anymore I made a new years resolution to finally talk to a doctor about it and see what can be done. And from what I've heard even the more uptight services have started accepting that you gotta let people get themselves sorted while they're in.

I don't know what the actual research shows but it definitely feels like obvious ADHD is becoming increasingly common.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

I knew a not insignificant number of nukes, myself included, who had various mixes of ADD/ADHD/Depression that was exacerbated by our jobs but nobody dared to seek help for it because it was disqualifying. In our case it was disqualifying by fiat and also maybe because they didn't trust ships doc's to hand out adderal. A lot of kids just never get the help or diagnosis when they were young. Sometimes its because their parents understand the stigma if its an otherwise light case, sometimes even if the kids need it the parents can't afford it, and mostly it seems like its just parents deciding to tell their kids to tough it out or they'll get beaten. When you grow up just having to get by anyway you get out of the mindset that help is available.

Now that I'm not under that doom umbrella anymore I made a new years resolution to finally talk to a doctor about it and see what can be done. And from what I've heard even the more uptight services have started accepting that you gotta let people get themselves sorted while they're in.

I don't know what the actual research shows but it definitely feels like obvious ADHD is becoming increasingly common.

Diagnosis is getting common. We use to just call them weird and beat on them mercilessly.

In fact gimme your lunch money now.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

LingcodKilla posted:

Diagnosis is getting common. We use to just call them weird and beat on them mercilessly.

In fact gimme your lunch money now.

butbutbut my mom packed me a lunch!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If we found ourselves in an actual war that wasn't in an extremely permissive environment getting those medications could be challenging.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
They wouldn't even send me to Guam for a month because of my sleep apnea.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

If we found ourselves in an actual war that wasn't in an extremely permissive environment getting those medications could be challenging.

We allow plenty of people to serve while taking cancer meds, painkillers and muscle relaxers, and antidepressants. I wonder why ADHD gets singled out.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Fallom posted:

We allow plenty of people to serve while taking cancer meds, painkillers and muscle relaxers, and antidepressants. I wonder why ADHD gets singled out.

poo poo man, I can barely walk normal, have herniated discs and have had the nerves in my back fried just to keep the pain down and I'm still in.

Its cause people remember how weird it was to be next to a kid that vibrated when forced to sit still and it makes them uncomfortable to think about. Hell my kid with a real bad case ofADHD is hard to deal with. I get it, it's still silly though when we let all the other poo poo go by for reasons but not that.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
i thought they gave out amphetamines years ago for long operations and flights? that's literally a type of ADD med

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fallom posted:

If you're on cancer meds, you're not deploying. But ADHD probably gets singled out because it's a mental issue, rather than a brokebody issue.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

i thought they gave out amphetamines years ago for long operations and flights? that's literally a type of ADD med

Oh that's still a thing, don't worry.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'm late to the stupid injury party, but I'd like to chime in with a torn meniscus and joint obstruction that I got while asleep once, requiring surgery.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Godholio posted:

Oh that's still a thing, don't worry.

Oh cool, I'm pretty sure the pilot near the start of the Afghan war that bombed a bunch of Canadian soldiers that were training was flying under amphetamines

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That was their excuse defense, yes.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Part of the reason I got med retired is that I needed a whole host of Uppers, Downers, Antipsychotics, antidepressants, heart meds, pain killers, and anti seizure meds.

I was completely broken by the 11 year mark. Retired permanently years later.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Fallom posted:

yeah its really bizarre especially since the medication is something the government used to give out like loving candy to SF types in vietnam

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A Bad Poster posted:

They wouldn't even send me to Guam for a month because of my sleep apnea.

You're snoring could keep the whole island up hyuck hyuck hyuck

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Fallom posted:

I think it's most of that stuff is prescribed after people have been in and have something that can be linked to service. A pre-existing condition will easily exclude people from enlisting. Granted ADHD is definitely one of the more minor things and in the event of WW3 or a critical manpower shortage, I'm sure people who have ADHD/ADD will be allowed to join (or drafted).

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Godholio posted:

I bet there were a few unmedicated ADHD sufferers that served during wartime during all of the wars we fought before such a diagnosis even existed. I think they would probably manage if they couldn't get their meds, the vast majority at least.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I remember attempting to join the AF to try for Cyber/Intel like every sperg who had a few IT certs, but got denied a vision waiver (apparently the doc at MEPS said it was one of the worst vision scores she'd in 10 years). Recruiter said I could maaaaybe make it into the Army if they were generous or go for LASIK once I was older and reapply, but I said no thank you because I'm not a moron, and took my college debt like a normal person.

Okay thanks that's my "I tried to join the military" story!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
the talk of mass adhd waivers probably made someone in the office of force resiliency have unexplained stress making GBS threads

edit: to expand on this a tiny bit, there's a national limit of amphetamine salts (that's the pharma "safe" version that is adderall and most of its cousins) every year. The DoD is NOT exempt from this limit, they just have priority. There's a system in place to make sure that there's enough for all the currently prescribed people in the DoD for the year and a considerable reserve given national security. Opening the floodgates and allowing the DoD population to match the general population would be...bad. There's a lot of things that would have to change before that could be a feasible reality.

edit2: without going too deep in the weeds here, stuff like adhd or other behavioral issues are largely subjective if someone will be "fine" or not. Subjective things do not fit well with any resiliency or readiness model.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 3, 2019

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Sooo....they don't make enough amphetamines for every one with ADHD?

And lol that you can't have it and get in, I've had it my whole life but didn't get dx until after I got out. Pulled one over on uncle Sam, heh :smug:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They raise the limit every year but the amount of diagnosed people outpaces the amount authorized for production. Depending on where you are in the country at certain times of the year a lot of pharmacies can just...run out. The DoD gets a cut of the gross output based off their yearly needs. It's as stupid as it sounds.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Well....gotta stop all those druggies! /s

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Eh, recruitment is a fixed problem really. Once Donnie Dumbfuck burns the global economy to the ground and huge swathes of people are faced with "starve or join" then both supply and demand will ramp up. Supply of starving people domestically to join and demand to blow up starving people in foreign nations for more military industrial complex profits.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Its interesting that there's a supply problem yet I see them going around like candy every finals week on my campus.

Same when I was in grad school. Hell I've been exposed to over a decade of unfettered access to Ritalin in academia. Still not trying that poo poo though.

E: Jodie, but for your drugs.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

M_Gargantua posted:

Untreated ADD/ADHD/Depression/Anxiety are also extremely common in the SIGINT community, especially among DLI grads.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That Works posted:

Its interesting that there's a supply problem yet I see them going around like candy every finals week on my campus.

Same when I was in grad school. Hell I've been exposed to over a decade of unfettered access to Ritalin in academia. Still not trying that poo poo though.

E: Jodie, but for your drugs.

There's a lot of people who are both diagnosed and never touch them, instead opting to sell.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Recruitment and resiliency are two similar but distinct issues. Recruitment is an always moving target based on largely outdated prediction models that are roughly 35 years old. The cracks really started to show in the GWOT/Surge era but there's major problems everywhere now. Long term a new model needs to be developed and from a force shaping perspective it's about as groundbreaking as 2+2 no longer being 4.

Resiliency is basically taking care of the forces you have. It's easier to move things around, policy wise, but it's infinitely more complicated because of that same fact.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Resiliency is being told to hunt the good stuff and being given an ACE card while toxic leaders are protected and the bar is raised for how lovely morale can be until it's considered a problem.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

NZ has us covered!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

NZ has us covered!

I would fight poachers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m so glad a giant hole in my right ear drum prevented me from making any incredibly stupid decisions at 18.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
If you can make sense of this, you're high/drunk/the POTUS https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1080837263913832449

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Kemper Boyd posted:

If you can make sense of this, you're high/drunk/the POTUS https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1080837263913832449

That sounds like a grooming post. If that was from anybody but Trump, it would suggest they were about to concede and make a deal.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Instead of “my achievements” he uses “Trump”.

:brainworms:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

LingcodKilla posted:

I would fight poachers.

Not an empty quote.

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m so glad a giant hole in my right ear drum prevented me from making any incredibly stupid decisions at 18.

I'm just glad the idea of at least four years of little sleep and finding out the MOS I wanted to get into was maxed out for my grad year made me decide not to stay in ROTC and commission. Then every once in awhile I read that post/response to some military wife asking what being in an intelligence shop was like (I think Shim wrote it?) and my choices are reaffirmed. That and every side interaction I've had with someone here has resulted in some form of "Oh you didn't enlist/commission? Smart man." Also lol at the recruiting/retention major who tried to tell me I'd never live or travel overseas or work in national security unless I joined the army.

Honestly the only thing I regret about not doing it for is the GI Bill and home loans from the VA, but I grew up pretty poor so college was still stupidly cheap for me.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That post from Shim was a marvel to behold. As far as prophecies go, I think he nailed 9/10 points for whoever it was pointed at.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Icon Of Sin posted:

That post from Shim was a marvel to behold. As far as prophecies go, I think he nailed 9/10 points for whoever it was pointed at.

I remember that post specifically because about the time he wrote it a (now very very ex) mate of mine went into British army intelligence and pretty much overnight turned into one of those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Stocks are down 560 points