Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
(There's now officially an Animation for Adults thread in TVIV if you wanna talk about other Adult Swim shows, though I don't mind at all if you talk about them here)

Spoiler policy for ADTRW regulars please don't post spoilers for shows just in case we have people going in blind watching these shows. Well, unless you want to spoil one of the never-ending shonen shows like Naruto, 'cause no one gives a poo poo. Also everyone and their grandma has seen DBZ.

Toonami was America's premiere action block from '97 until '08. They showed a whole bunch of anime (and stuff like Batman: TAS but most people just remember the anime) and are most notable for basically bringing Dragon Ball Z to the US (for better or for worse). Adult Swim brought it back as their April Fool's Day prank in 2012 and people lost their poo poo nostalgia trippin' so now its back for good.

Currently airing:

11:00 - My Hero Academia

In a world where superpowers are the norm, all the kids want to train and be the next big superhero (a viable career option apparently), none more so than protagonist Izuku Midoriya. The catch though, is that Izuku has no power (called a quirk in this world because reasons), making him basically a freak, in a bad way. Can he somehow still become a hero even if he has no powers? Will meeting the world's #1 (and his personal favorite) hero All Might help? Will he cry a ton? Yes, yes, and you'll be amazed frankly. This series is very recent, we're only a few episodes behind Japan! Wow!

11:30 - One Punch Man Season 2
okay.jpg

So have you ever seen that clip from the end of Justice League where Superman talks about living in a world of cardboard? Imagine if Superman were even stronger and didn't give a gently caress. One Punch Man is a phenomenon that grew from a webcomic with lovely art to a professionally drawn manga to getting a full anime. It's about Saitama, a guy who's a superhero for fun, and his day to day life facing threats that would be the final battle in any other anime... and also getting excited about making it to the supermarket when they have good deals. We're on the second season which is apparently worse looking than the previous season but is still pretty good. Play the home game and see if you can notice if it's worse and in what spots!

Full preview here

12:00 - Dr. Stone

One day out of nowhere a mysterious light petrifies the entirety of humanity. 2 Japanese schoolboys have broken out of their stone prisons and now have to free the rest of humanity and rebuild civilization using SCIENCE! poo poo moves at a pretty breakneck pace from there so you can't just write a good summary.

Full preview here

12:30 - Fire Force

In the world of Fire Force, people just catch on loving fire at random for no reason at all (it's basically replaced heart attacks) and become freaky demon monsters called Infernals. This necessitates the creation of a special fire department called, well, Fire Force to deal with Infernals. Protagonist Shinra Kusakabe, Fire Force's newest recruit, is a pyrokinetic kid who ignites his feet to use them like jets. Will his squad have a bunch of characters with endearing quirks? Will there be some dark underlying mystery to the Infernals? Dude, come on, you've seen anime before, you know the answer.

1:00 - Food Wars
I'm just so tired of all these food wars...

Teenager Soma Yukihira aspires to become a full-time chef in his father Joichiro's family restaurant and surpass his father's culinary skills, but Joichiro gets a new job that requires him to travel around the world, and closes his shop. Joichiro has Soma enroll in Totsuki Saryo Culinary Institute, an elite culinary school where students engage in food competitions called... well, food wars. The food is so good it literally makes people's clothes burst off and give them orgasms so make sure you watch it on your big screen TV just as your mom comes in to ask what you're doing.

Could this be it folks, the legendary horniest show on Toonami?

Update 7/7: Yes, yes it easily is. This aired on Cartoon Goddamn Network on at 1:22 AM EST. Possibly :nws:

Full preview here

1:30 - Demon Slayer

It's what it says on the tin, folks. Demon Slayer is a show about Tanjiro Kamado and his sister Nezuko are the sole survivors of demon attack that killed the rest of her family. Nezuko becomes a demon, but still surprisingly shows signs of human emotion and thought. Tanjiro becomes a demon slayer to help his sister turn human again and to well, you know, stop demon attacks.

Full preview here

2:00 - Black Clover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFmxsgXqAQg

Imagine if you will, that animes are foods. Imagine then, if instead of trying to create a new dish with a new flavor, you took a bunch of leftovers out of the fridge, and blended them into a disgusting protein shake of flavors you've already tasted and might be kind of tired of. This is Black Clover. Main character Naruto Asta is a poor orphan born into a world full of magic, he's poo poo on by everyone in his village, and one day he swears he's gonna be King of the PiratesHokagethe Wizard-King of the land and earn everyone's respect! Unfortunately he's bad at ninjutsu doesn't have a quirk one of the only people in the land who possesses zero magical ability, in a world where magic is everything (take a shot when you hear this phrase and die in a half-hour)! And his best friend and broody loner Sasuke Yuno seems to be the best at everything, even possessing a special bloodline ability Devil Fruit power Stand 4-clover grimoire that proves he's the super-best at magic. But one day he gets super-mad and summons his super-cool and super-edgy demon chakra 5-star grimoire to prove he's gonna be the greatest magical knight and eventually become Wizard-King and marry Sakura some nun, his love interest who does not love him! But wait, what about the teammate who can't confess her love for him factor in? UGGGHHHH.

This show is incredibly sub-par and you should feel bad for Adult Swim for buying it. I mean it was supposed to be some hot new poo poo, broadcast rights probably cost them a pretty penny. Then everyone hated it. It got moved from a pretty sweet spot at the start of block to back here.

2:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind

The plot of Jojo's is way too long and convoluted to boil down into one paragraph but suffice it to say it involves following a family on bizarre adventures, and then the story ends and a new chapter starts down the line with a new protagonist that is somehow related to the prior one. Jotaro Kujo (from part 3) has sent Koichi (from Part 4) to Italy to investigate young improbably buff 15 year old Giorno Giovanna. Giorno's is actually the son of former villain Dio Brando (and thus technically Jonathan Joestar since Dio hitched a ride Jonathan's body since the 1800s) and Jotaro's just making sure that evil isn't genetic. Giorno has long idolized the gangsters of Italy and has made a good living pickpocketing and committing small crimes, but now he plans to change the entire gang structure of Italy from the inside out. Anyway, everybody has magic ghost things called Stands that give them all sorts of batshit powers so get ready to have fun.

3:00 - Naruto Shippuden
why are we still here? just to suffer?

Naruto is a ninja kid from the Hidden Leaf Village who wants to be the very best, like no one ever was. gently caress this show. The fact that it's not the last show on this block is a slap in the face to every other show after it, and I don't even like Gundam. Anyway it will never end and someday after the nukes drop and you breathe your last, your mutant children might get to see the end of a filler arc.

3:30 - Lupin the Third Part 5

Look if you don't know Lupin, it revolves around Lupin and his gang of master thieves stealing poo poo. Here's your cast:

• Arsene Lupin III - He's the leader, the planner, and kind of a jack of all trades. He is the greatest thief in the world yet somehow he just walks around in broad daylight despite everyone in the world knowing his face. Also he has a cool watch with a grappling hook in it and drives a cool car despite wrecking it all the time.
  • Daisuke Jigen - Jigen is a master gunman. He can use any firearm, though he mostly doesn't need to since he's so good with just his pistol. He and Lupin are bros as he almost appears in every episode Lupin's in. He seemingly smokes constantly and he never takes his hat off so you can get a look at his eyes.
  • Goemon Ishikawa - Goemon's a samurai who looks, talks, and dresses like he wandered in from another anime. Anyway he's a very stereotypical samurai, as he's got super reflexes and can cut through basically anything with his sword.
  • Fujiko Mine - Has fantastic boobs. Okay that's a little reductive. Fujiko is also a master of disguise and is great at picking locks. She does often play femme fatale though, using her looks to lure targets into doing dumb poo poo.
  • Inspector Zenigata - Zenigata is an Interpol agent that has been chasing Lupin forever. He's the Tom to Lupin's Jerry. Ironically, despite getting clowned on constantly by Lupin, Zenigata is actually shown to be a very good cop whenever he's put on literally any other case. Lupin's just the one he can never get.

Usually it's a very episodic heist-of-the-week show, but recent parts have had actual running plots occasionally. Last time Lupin was in Italy most of the time, this time it's mostly in France.

My man Lupin has been done dirty and is now suffering in hell slot

4:00 Rerun Town - Attack On Titan

If you've never heard of AoT it's about a world overrun with giant weird vaguely humanoid creatures dubbed "Titans" by the people. They live in a giant walled-in city and everything's hunky-dory for years until one day a couple of really giant-rear end Titans come out of nowhere and punch a big hole in the wall. Main character Eren Jager and his foster sister Mikasa and their best pal Armin all join the Survey Corps, which is basically the army, and use their super-neat Spider-Man gear 3D movement gear to zip around and fight Titans. Except for later seasons where they don't zip around on 3D movement gear and more stand around having political intrigue.

ALSO

Every Saturday night while the more boring shonen shows are on TV, Waffleman or Baal or I dunno who's running it these days is building you a better cartoon(/sentai/tokusatsu/whatever) show. They it Goonami what nerds amirite. They just post on Fri/Sat night when they're gonna stream poo poo on Synchtube and you can watch.

MEANWHILE EVERY OTHER DAY OF THE WEEK...

Adult Swim is a block on Cartoon Network that's been running strong now since 2001. It's their late-night offering for grown-ups such as ourselves. This high class stuff includes a show where a guy hosts a parody talk show and pukes on himself and a bunch of Family Guy reruns.

What's on right now?

All the Fox reruns, as usual. Well, not all. Adult Swim lost or gave up the licenses to the Cleveland Show (oh noooo :geno:) and King of the Hill (oh no, for real!) to Comedy Central, but hey, Bob's Burgers is on now, and that's good.

Okay, yeah, but what else?

Ummm... okay, Adult Swim has eschewed any semblance of scheduling like any other TV network and also any semblance of actually canceling TV shows (for example, Black Jesus is still listed as having a third season coming despite it being 3 years since season 2 and one of the leads dying). What I'm saying is that if you've seen a show on Adult Swim ever, there's a nonzero chance that it could come up with a new season at any given point in time. Except for Aqua Teen, it's dead... for now...

So yeah, I'm not gonna bother copy-pasting the descriptions of all 25 of their listed "current" shows off Wikipedia. Still, feel free to talk about them here. I know I'm gonna post constantly about Eric Andre whenever he comes back.

Okay, that's all out of the way, enjoy your 2019 everyone! LET'S GET THINGS STARTED, TOONAMI THREAD ALL SET, READY, POST!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Piss

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So would we call this a new arc or it still just filler?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I wanted to put a poll in this thread but for some reason the forums didn't want me to do that so here I made a survey for our current lineup

http://www.strawpoll.me/17147482

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

So would we call this a new arc or it still just filler?

I can't be sure until we've checked for boats.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Naruto:
THE FILLERING
The Kage Summit to declare war on chakra nuke stealing terrorists, also the old Stone guy hired the bad guys as mercs a long while back and that's somehow appreciably worse than all the poo poo the other child soldier villages pulled over the years
Filler
Sasuke blows the gently caress in and starts fuckin' poo poo up. :rip: a bunch of nameless samurai, otherwise... eh.
Madara Uchiha declares "The Fourth Great Ninja War Has Begun", innocents everywhere shudder in horror in anticipation of the real-life years to come.
Filler
Danzo is King poo poo of Moron Village for about five minutes, just long enough to declare Sasuke a rouge ninja just before said Sasuke puts him out of all our miseries. This is probably the single most convenient sequence of events that occurs in the entire Naruto storyline aside from the ending since it saves Kishimoto from having to answer a lot of unpleasant questions like "Why isn't Sasuke more thoroughly punished under ninja law" and "Hey, what would happen if Naruto's Ninja Jesus shtick was put up against a right royal unrepentant bastard like Danzo?"
CLIP SHOW FILLER
Naruto needs to go see Killer Motherfucking B right away to get his demon nuke poo poo squared away since this war is coming in hot, which of course means it's time for
FIVE MONTHS OF BOAT FILLER

for the love of god, just watch boruto already

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 1, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think it's a bold decision by Kishimoto to try and make a manga arc about a war and then attempt to have the actual arc last as long as one.

Five more years of Naruto Shippuuden. :shepicide:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I only really watch this thread for reactions... the week off has thrown me off. Next weeks jojo ep is (just an episode title, not really a spoiler) Rohan Kishibes Bizarre Adventure, right?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If I'm not mistaken, that should be the next episode, yes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
god I hate Naruto

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

christ that new Hunter time is horseshit

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

first, how long did it take you/how many did you sift through to find/pick those dril tweets for each show

second, I've set up a preliminary Google spreadsheet for collecting the gametags/IDs of thread regulars for the purpose of doing dumb poo poo in video games, do we want that?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Argus Zant posted:

first, how long did it take you/how many did you sift through to find/pick those dril tweets for each show

I shamelessly lifted from here for basically all of them (pro click imo for a good laugh). Except for Megalobox and Gundam, those I had to make myself. Oh and Boruto which I give so little of a poo poo about that I didn't make one and neither did anyone else on the internet says Google never mind I made one because my OCD kicked iin.

Argus Zant posted:

second, I've set up a preliminary Google spreadsheet for collecting the gametags/IDs of thread regulars for the purpose of doing dumb poo poo in video games, do we want that?

Y'all do what you want but I realized that until Nintendo makes their online less rear end-backwards and/or allows voice chat without having my loving phone on speaker, I'm not gonna be playing much online.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 1, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Boruto is surprisingly decent. Not amazing, but watchable.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Y'all do what you want but I realized that until Nintendo makes their online less rear end-backwards and/or allows voice chat without having my loving phone on speaker, I'm not gonna be playing much online.

you will never play video games online again

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
They finally got me to lose the last bit of interest I had in HxH and all they had to do was put it at 2:30 AM

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

TwoPair posted:

Just use the Goonami discord. This solution also sucks but less than the official Nintendo method

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Waffleman_ posted:

Boruto is surprisingly decent. Not amazing, but watchable.

I wanna agree with this but I think 90% of the reason I think this is just my nostalgia for early Naruto

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't remember how many episodes into Boruto we are, but I feel like the major theme of the show is that Naruto is a bad parent.

His daughter seems fine with him, though.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't remember how many episodes into Boruto we are, but I feel like the major theme of the show is that Naruto is a bad parent.

His daughter seems fine with him, though.

We're still in the first arc, which is arguably the worst since they still hadn't quite found their footing and were still establishing the basic characters.

If you can make it through... I want to say the next 2-3 episodes, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what the rest of the show has to offer.

If the overall themes of Naruto Classic were about accepting outsiders and the ostracized and finding ways of making peace despite generations of hatred, then the overall themes of Boruto are about relationships between the older and younger generations as well as legacies and determining if the next generations will be capable of handling the challenges ahead of them in a more peaceful and modern but still delicate world. It feels also a lot more character driven and ensemble cast-y than Naruto was, but that may just be my own bias talking.

I'm a fan. :shrug:

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 2, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bort isn't very good but got some very well animated fights, including a big ender that basically had a gigantic lineup of who's who in key animators and turned out better looking than a lot of movies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Bort isn't very good but got some very well animated fights, including a big ender that basically had a gigantic lineup of who's who in key animators and turned out better looking than a lot of movies.

I am of the perfectly decent and watchable show opinion. It's not super amazing or anything, but it's fun and well animated when it needs to be.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Y'all do what you want

okay so anyway, if you're the sort of person who watches loving anime on a Saturday night instead of doing something else, chances are pretty good that you also spend a lot of time playing video games, quite possibly even video games with distinct anime overtones, like DragonBall FighterZ, or Overwatch, or poo poo like that. If that's the case (and who are we kidding, it undoubtedly is), then maybe you'd also want to play those video games with your fellow anime-watching societal rejects, since it can't be as bad as playing with Goddamned PubbiesTM. So click this here link right here to find the spreadsheet I painfully cobbled together with virtually no real knowledge of what the gently caress I was doing, and add your contact information to a list that I can assure you will NOT be sold to the Chinese as a list of people they can kidnap for black-market organ harvesting on the basis that the individuals in question won't be immediately realized to be missing.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am of the perfectly decent and watchable show opinion. It's not super amazing or anything, but it's fun and well animated when it needs to be.

It seems to have hit a really bad spot after some really good animation, but probably nothing dire like Shippuden or One Piece downtime - at least, not yet.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Bort is cute, I enjoy it. I might enjoy it less if it transitions from school antics to BIG HEAVY EPIC NINJA STUFF mainly because it's hard for me to care about Naruto lore.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/ToonamiNews/status/1081060765484761089

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

5 year old grandfather

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

5 year old grandfather

I think I've seen that anime.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

chiasaur11 posted:

I think I've seen that anime.

Isn't that just Dragon Ball GT?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So we have a voice for the villain Part 4

https://twitter.com/DC_Douglas/status/1081355851724513282

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

THAT'S loving GREAT

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

poo poo

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
DC Douglas as this character is practically a wishcast

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

But are his motives....complex?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Everyone give a big hand to Mr. Douglas.

The Shame Boy posted:

But are his motives....complex?

Every time I try to forget this game, someone has to remind me. :argh:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Life is simply unfair.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I'm sorry i mind hacked Zero Time Dilemma back into your head

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

I'm sorry i mind hacked Zero Time Dilemma back into your head

Hypothesis: Garbage.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
:vince:

D.C. Douglas was born a stand user. I can accept this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
When will we hear him?