Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

get with the times, man. Birdman is passe. it's all about the Bird Box now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

I just wish there were more movies like Birdman because I can't watch it again.

What stuff do you want more of? If you're talking about the cinematography there's been a few movies done in one take: Russian Ark and Victoria off the top of my head.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Windows 98 posted:

Hardcore Henry attempts to do it as well, though you can definitely tell where the cuts are if you pay attention

You can catch the cuts in Birdman too. Russian Ark and Victoria both did it for real, though I'd argue that's just bragging rights versus the actual effect the unbroken flow -- faked or not -- has on the film's emotional resonance.

Hitchcock's Rope did it in 1948 when the pre-digital period made it literally impossible. He used some creative masking to hide the cuts in order to create a seamless flow, though it also uses a single setting in order to achieve a more live theater vibe.

Also, it's not one seamless take, but Mikhail Kalatozov's work is visually *stunning* and uses extensive long takes that make you question how the hell he possibly achieved them (a lot of pullies and wires is the answer). Soy Cuba in particular, but The Cranes Are Flying is equally phenomenal.

Lampsacus posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, I should have been more specific. I'm talking about the snappiness of the dialog and quick pace as oppose to the long cuts. Although long cuts can definitely be an element of this. Like the opening pan of Ricks, hell the entire Casablanca. Gilmore Girls lol.

Have you heard of this guy Quentin Tarantino?

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 13, 2019

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

the drum score should have been nominated