Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lmafo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This is such a good show.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I think this might be my favourite anime ever.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
most important anime of the decade?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's in my Top 10 of all time for sure, to the point where I'm considering buying the blu-rays and I'll probably get all the volumes too

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I was introduced to this through OPM and I love it way more. There's a much more relatable emotional connection to the characters for me.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah same on both fronts. I'm re-reading some OPM to prep for Season 2 and man it's just not hitting the same way anymore. Mob's sincerity just really won me over, and the visible progression of his growth, his ambition made manifest, and the way that makes other people want to do the same along with him, makes it just a really filling story. It feels like something that is, sadly, designed to end. It's a complete saccharine "My Friends Are My Power" story, but it's earned that and the kernel of truth of "Humans need relationships to live, it's okay to want them and you deserve to have them" is just kind of a timeless thing that this series nails

whereas I don't see how One Punch Man is ever going to end. I don't see what the finale would be or what would make Saitama ever happy. His almost complete apathy about any situation and the way he stills get mad when people wanna hang with him, it doesn't spur my interest anymore. I kind of don't like him. Combined with a lot of the more emotional beats being separated by longer, (but still cool) fight scenes, it's just not doing it for me anymore.

And they're like obviously different things right? A drama with some comedy and a comedy-satire with some drama, so yeah the comparison isn't entirely fair, I'm not going to get Mob crying that he hurt people and feels that he's completely incapable of change and going 100% Sadness or "My master is a good person" out of OPM, but that's what appeals to me more so maybe I'm asking something out of OPM that it'll never be there and that's okay too.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 30, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Just curious, but were you reading the Murata version or the original webcomic?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Good question, the Murata version for a re-read since that's the "Canon Adapted Version", but about half of my first read through was the original webcomic. I should def read through the webcomic again

Here's a fun thing: Mob's most recent 100 % at Toichiro attacking Reigen is the same emotion that brought about by his very first 100% at Dimple

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Expect My Mom posted:

Good question, the Murata version for a re-read since that's the "Canon Adapted Version", but about half of my first read through was the original webcomic. I should def read through the webcomic again

Speaking as someone who kinda soured on the Murata version, I'd be curious if that changes your opinion.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Reigen quitting smoking because he took on Mob is a neat detail.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

MP100 bucks a lot of trends in common anime. Mob doesn't join the weirdo slack off club but instead works out, the bodybuilding jocks are actually really nice dudes instead of bullies, Reigen is not just a scammer manipulating Mob but actually a positive figure in his life who genuinely cares for the kid, nearly every time people push Mob to the limit he responds with something like "sadness" or "belief" rather than the "anger" or "hate" that you'd expect out of most anime powerups, the alternate life where he gets bullied only makes him realize how glad and thankful he is of the people in his life instead of breaking him and so on and so forth.

Meanwhile OPM is a love letter to the genre. Yeah, it's a parody that's meant to make you laugh at how dumb these punchman chinese cartoons can be, but it's also made with an insane amount of love for the craft of battle manga and genuinely heartfelt moments like Mumen Rider standing up against the Sea King and Saitama getting a Thank You letter from him. Neither of those moments would be out of place in a generic battle manga, but because they're in the insane world of OPM they stand out (also they stand out because ONE is a great writer). But because OPM spends so much time in those fights, MP100 has much better characters because they get more time to, like, do characterization things instead of fighting an endless parade of disposable monsters.

On a personal level, I think MP100's take on self-improvement, pacifism and just plain trying to be a good person are much more positive and wholesome than anything OPM will ever do short of possibly the conclusion to Saitama's arc, whatever that ends up being. But also MP100 will also probably never feel as cathartic to me in the same way that Boros and (Webcomic spoiler) fillertextGaroufillertext do, because I genuinely empathize with Saitama and his own plight while facing them. OPM's take on depression is something that adds something unique to the genre, just not in the same way MP100 does.

Also MP100 is both a finished work and has possibly the best anime adaptation of all time that anything has ever gotten while OPM is a webcomic that no longer updates, so calling one straight up better than the other seems unfair to me. But hey at the very least we know for sure which one has the better second season of its anime adaptation. :v:

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 31, 2019

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I'm still a little annoyed at Wisecrack's take of OPM making it sound like Saitama was mocking Mumen Rider for his pointless act of defiance when in reality Mumen Rider likely saved dozens of lives buying time for Saitama to arrive to deal with the Sea King.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
opm accomplished what it was meant to do, be popular enough for mob to get an anime

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
opm walked so mob could run

and that's okay with saitama, after all he's just a hero for fun

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Now we just need to wait for Makai no Ossan to get an anime.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GimmickMan posted:

Also MP100 is both a finished work and has possibly the best anime adaptation of all time that anything has ever gotten while OPM is a webcomic that no longer updates, so calling one straight up better than the other seems unfair to me. But hey at the very least we know for sure which one has the better second season of its anime adaptation. :v:

It is kind of heartbreaking that the post Monster Association bits of OPM seemed to have been setting up to go places just in time for One to set the project aside.

But since he set it aside for MP100, it's hard to be too disappointed.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

SITB posted:

Yeah this tiny gag manga has more character growth than both mob and opm lmao

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SITB posted:

hell yea

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Old man in the underworld loving owns

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
ep 5 should get an award

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Last Mob Monday. :(

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I'm actually glad there isn't One Piece amounts of Mob Psycho. It's nice to have a show end on its own terms as opposed to being dragged out to beyond my own lifespan. I'll probably die and there'll still be Baruto Jr. or some poo poo waving me into my grave

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Thank you, Body Improvement Club.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

skaianDestiny posted:

Reigen quitting smoking because he took on Mob is a neat detail.

I feel legit bad I never noticed this.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mabels big day posted:

Thank you, Body Improvement Club.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

manga readers have been sitting on this extremely obvious foreshadowing since the start of the first season and now we can finally see how many people's minds are blown from it

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh wow. I remembered the Broccoli explosion, of course, but I'd forgotten about it coming from the heart. Wild.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i love Mob. i'll say that I felt the fight was a tad rushed and I sure don't remember Toichiro becoming a Demon Man, but I love Mob. sad that we're ending it here but I hope there's more soon because there's still some juicy stuff that makes for a way better finale

:siren: AND THERE IS MORE:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2wIub86shk

the official website says this is NOT an aprils fools day joke, and that there's a legit OVA that'll be screened July 7th with an original concept written by ONE

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

i love Mob. i'll say that I felt the fight was a tad rushed and I sure don't remember Toichiro becoming a Demon Man, but I love Mob. sad that we're ending it here but I hope there's more soon because there's still some juicy stuff that makes for a way better finale

:siren: AND THERE IS MORE:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2wIub86shk

the official website says this is NOT an aprils fools day joke, and that there's a legit OVA that'll be screened July 7th with an original concept written by ONE

so to be clear, this OVA is totally original and not a continuation of the manga?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

The fight felt extremely fast paced but I think the only thing that ended up getting removed is Toichiro turning the dust cloud they're in into a thunder cloud for one attack. Other than that, if anything, the anime introduced more to the fight to make it last longer. It's probably just some kinda weird thing where a fight in still images can feel longer than fully animated.

Toichiro absolutely turned into a demon man, though.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Mob saving the day by beating an absolutely gigantic sword into a plowshare was fantastic. Seems like more of a side effect than anything, but I dig the contrast between the energy's intended purpose and what it was actually used for. Not sure if the broccoli is all that edible, though...if nothing else, I suspect it's going to be converted into Psycho Helmet's headquarters. Felt nice to see everybody moving on after all the city-smashing action, too. It seems like Serizawa is here partly to act as an apprentice figure for Mob, so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out. I was certain this would be the best anime of the year after I watched the first episode and each one after that has only served to confirm my belief.

Other thoughts:
- I went :aaaaa: when Mob formed a sphere out of destroyed buildings like in the poster.
- Toichiro getting twisted up like Play-doh was hosed up.
- There was something else I wanted to talk about here but I forgot it.

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 1, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

a cartoon duck posted:

The fight felt extremely fast paced but I think the only thing that ended up getting removed is Toichiro turning the dust cloud they're in into a thunder cloud for one attack. Other than that, if anything, the anime introduced more to the fight to make it last longer. It's probably just some kinda weird thing where a fight in still images can feel longer than fully animated.

Toichiro absolutely turned into a demon man, though.
Yeah that's probably what it was, I do feel like there was more dialogue between the two? Or maybe just monologues? But mostly just reading slower

Mob does go through different 100%s in that fight like Shame when he sees Ritsu and Kindness when he stays with Toichiro, but they've always kind of cut those title cards

And yeah I remember Toichiro turning monstrous with energy but less so a blue skinned beast.....sounds like I need to reread.....

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is anyone else unable to watch the episode on either the app or the website, or am I just cursed?

e: it works when I use data instead of wifi???

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

God drat anime of the season for sure and dare I say AOTY this early?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Is anyone else unable to watch the episode on either the app or the website, or am I just cursed?

e: it works when I use data instead of wifi???

Maybe you should throw some salt at your router.