Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Vahtooch posted:

More like Go "Everything is exploding into cubes" Hakuyu

I really like that about his work, idk why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Episode is out

Both a 100% and ???% in the same episode, we're being spoiled

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Conot posted:

Episode is out

Both a 100% and ???% in the same episode, we're being spoiled

I haven't seen it yet, but I heard they cut the cat death? Is that true?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Beekeeping and You posted:

I haven't seen it yet, but I heard they cut the cat death? Is that true?

I haven't read the original work, but yeah, the cat that Shigeo is feeding doesn't get killed. She threatens to kill it but it never happens

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Conot posted:

I haven't read the original work, but yeah, the cat that Shigeo is feeding doesn't get killed. She threatens to kill it but it never happens

Lol in the original that cat gets beat to death, I'm a little disappointed and relieved at the same time.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Lol in the original that cat gets beat to death, I'm a little disappointed and relieved at the same time.

I kinda expected this whole episode to be Unpopular Kid at Japanese School Torture, and was kinda (pleasantly) surprised when they had firmly wrapped that up by the mid-way point, so I'm guessing they maybe abbreviated a longer sequence? I don't really mind tbh.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Conot posted:

I kinda expected this whole episode to be Unpopular Kid at Japanese School Torture, and was kinda (pleasantly) surprised when they had firmly wrapped that up by the mid-way point, so I'm guessing they maybe abbreviated a longer sequence? I don't really mind tbh.

Yeah, I remember reading the manga feeling like going through a gauntlet and it was an incredible relief when Dimple showed up. I dunno how much they actually cut out though or if it's just the format.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Conot posted:

I haven't seen the episode yet, but in the manga, it's the most brutal sequence in the whole series. ONE said that he was really happy with this episode, so if he's fine with it being toned down, maybe it's for the best. :v: That choice will be pretty controversial I bet.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

I haven't seen the episode yet, but in the manga, it's the most brutal sequence in the whole series. ONE said that he was really happy with this episode, so if he's fine with it being toned down, maybe it's for the best. :v: That choice will be pretty controversial I bet.

there's still definitely enough there to get the point of it all across without dwelling on it too long. I'm personally glad to not see a cat die

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the episode is out, there is no need for this many spoiler tags with zero context as to what they're about

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
quote isnt edit lol

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Yup the cat runs away. It's a chance I'm fine with since it always felt unnecessary to me. Seeing how they revive the cat anyways once Mob is back to his senses

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Yo, this show

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

:stare:

That episode was loving spectacular, holy poo poo. What the gently caress does the rest of the season even do after that?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I think they could have cut out a few more minutes of the fight in order to build it up a lot better since they cut out some stuff that had more impact in the manga, but that was a pretty great visual feast.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Reigen dropping wisdom bombs as usual, too

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
One example besides the cat mentioned above is the reveal that Mob was in that illusion for 6 months. The manga had a lot more impact and treated it as a significant twist, but it felt more like an afterthought in the anime.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

These changes sound like they're for the best, tbh. Especially given the time constraints a TV show has to operate under.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
I'm slightly conflicted. On one hand, that first half really could have used more room to breathe, it was longer and more emotionally distressing in the manga. On the other hand, holy everloving gently caress that second half was incredible and I'm still feeling hyped an hour after finishing it. The fight was way different from how it was in the manga and is missing some key moments that I liked, but I'm finding it hard to care all that much.

I'm wondering how I would feel about these two episodes had I not read the manga.

skaianDestiny posted:

I think they could have cut out a few more minutes of the fight in order to build it up a lot better since they cut out some stuff that had more impact in the manga

Agreed.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Spiritus Nox posted:

These changes sound like they're for the best, tbh. Especially given the time constraints a TV show has to operate under.

I fairly satisfied with the episode, but they really did water down a lot of what Mob went through. Like, the cat being killed was really the catalyst and turning point for Mob's breakdown, as an example of a living thing that got hurt because he was kind. Him being unable to save it influences his decision to save Asagiri.

Like, I'd be fine with 1 minute less in the fight scenes if we got only that scene back.

In other words read the manga. It's good.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
A minor thing that was cut which I think was a shame is that when Mob first battles Mogami he has a small breakdown when Mogami initially beats him, getting angry about how his power always flare up when he doesn't want it and now that he actually needs it it's missing.

I think it's kinda important in how Mob actually views his psychic powers.

The episode was still great though.

SITB fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 4, 2019

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
They also cut out the part where she stabs him.
I honestly feel this was better because now she was just an awful person instead of a freaking psychopath.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

My perspective as a non-manga reader, was that I get it, I've seen "kid has horrible life at school and at home" stuff in other series. This hit the keynotes (bullied in class, physically abusive teachers, no one to support him or help him, living in squalor, etc) without overplaying it. The 6 months bit was a bit flat, but at the same time I think you could have removed that particular line and I wouldn't have had any issue with Amnesia!Mob's actions.

Expect My Mom posted:

the episode is out, there is no need for this many spoiler tags with zero context as to what they're about

It's generally good courtesy to not just go "Hey new episode is out! [untagged spoiler]" in the same post :V

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I definitely heard something about animal death going into the episode, and I’m happy there wasn’t any because my cat died last Friday and I didn’t want that wound opening up more than it already is. Apparently, Mob’s miserable life was also trimmed down a lot? I was already begging for him to snap out of it by the time I saw Ritsu just walking past Mob getting mugged, so the build-up still worked for me, at least.

Jesus Christ at Mob vs. Mogami, though. There was talk of it being potentially movie quality, but I think it just crossed that line and then some. Something that I like is that Mob is looking increasingly more like your usual big-eyed anime character whenever he gets serious, which I connected to Tsubomi and his hopes of going out with her. He’s seeing himself more on her level now.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
The only 2 big changes I'd have liked would be giving more impact to the 6 months and the cat. Other than that I think the bullying scenes got the point across.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Mulderman posted:

They also cut out the part where she stabs him.
I honestly feel this was better because now she was just an awful person instead of a freaking psychopath.

after mogami realizes mob is still being nice, he steps in and makes fake-asagi stab him

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Raserys posted:

after mogami realizes mob is still being nice, he steps in and makes fake-asagi stab him

Yeah. Mogami was frustrated that mob still refused to kill her, even after everything she did, so he forced her to stab him to try and force Mob into murder. It was one of the few things she didn't do on her own.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Here's the 6 months scene in the manga for anyone who was curious.

EDIT: Also they left out Pudding-chan which is clearly the most important omission.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Maybe they should had her say she is going to kill the cat instead of saying they are going to take the cat to a shelter.

Maybe I'm just weak, but it was bad enough seeing Mob get smashed with a cinderblock.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

skaianDestiny posted:

Here's the 6 months scene in the manga for anyone who was curious.

EDIT: Also they left out Pudding-chan which is clearly the most important omission.

oh, are we posting manga pages that were cut now?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah this episode loving ruled to look at. the style + letterboxing in the mental world just really made me feel like i was watching a 22 minute movie. Even Reigen looked a bit different and I like how just different Mob feels when Dimple's in his body, I feel like they even ruffled up his hair more than Mob's usual bowlcut

like everyone i felt it was pretty fast, and missed out on some pretty big scenes and now i'm really wondering what they'll do with the rest of the seven episodes. but hey, if anything it's really making me want to start buying the physical volumes

i always get bummed that they don't do the big pages where they say what 100% emotion Mob is feeling. like in most cases it's obvious but i like the big kanji

Conot posted:

It's generally good courtesy to not just go "Hey new episode is out! [untagged spoiler]" in the same post :V
people know when the new episode is out tho.

like, i'm a pretty spoilery averse person, but if you walk into the thread around the time the new episode has always come out at and are surprised to see people discussing the new episode, then well idk

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

With as much as I felt the last two episodes toned down the violence from the manga a fair bit I wasn't expecting them to add a shot of implied sexual violence against a teenage girl during Mogami monologuing about his motivations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

oh my loving god that episode

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like that when presented with a lovely world Mob doesn't become piece of poo poo, he ends up using it as a reason to keep bettering himself and be thankful for the people around him.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Truncating the emotional beatdown makes sense to me because, and maybe this is just my personal biases talking here, but it's pretty clear that Mob isn't going to break permanently and this is all just some rear end in a top hat ghost's idea of brainwashing, so having it play out in excruciating detail would've felt gratuitous. It's one thing if the outcome is up in the air, or you're actually going to have a character break, even partially, but given it's a known outcome for any number of reasons... ehh seems unnecessary.

It also would make Mob seem like a bit of a loon for being so forgiving, to be frank. The fewer anime protagonists with a "I'll forgive literally anything as long as you stop doing bad stuff" perspective, the better.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Holy shitsnacks this ep

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I liked the pacing better in the manga, these chapters felt like they had a poo poo ton of weight that I think the anime sort of missed a little. That and I liked the mangas version of Asagi asking Mob for forgiveness better. But everything was beautifully animated so its a tradeoff

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I don't really get Mogami's plan. Last week he said he would make him live a life without ESP to see how he fairs, but this week all his friends ignore him for some reason? It doesn't really make sense because he doesn't really use his powers at school and his school friends aren't really friends with him because of his powers.

In retrospect i guess the idea was to make him feel powerless and torture him so that when he got power he would want to use it in revenge? The crow didn't really explain it well.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
He basically wants to Mob to be his follower/protege type. Mogami sees that Mob is just like him, extremely powerful and only using his power to help others. But all that ever got Mogami was the death of his mother, the only person he ever cared for. So Mogami says "gently caress it" and decides to live forever as a spirit and use his power however he wants to, in his case, it's to punish people who have never known suffering or greedy folks like the guys coming to exorcise Asagi. So when Mogami sees that Mob is on the same path as him, he tries to break Mob like he's been broken, and show him that even if Mob got his wish of being a normal person, his life would get even worse and that the people he wants to protect and be validated are, are not worth saving at all with Asagi actually being sort of the bully Mogami's world made her out to be. This is all made pretty clear in the manga by the cat Mob feeds, the bullies end up beating it to death, and then again inn a scene that was cut where Asagi stabs Mob with a box cutter, examples to Mob that it's pointless to ever try to save anyone because this world will take it all from you, and you should just use your powers however you want, after all it's your power. Dimple however reminds Mob that Mogami was kind of right, Mob is extremely blessed to not suffer as Mogami had, Mob has a loving support network and he's here to save someone, even if that person would pick on him if they actually knew each other

I also think in the manga, it was revealed in here that Mogami actually had a backstory. Last episode told us his mom died and he killed himself, but I wanna say that in the manga all Dimple told us was "Yeah he was really powerful, tried to kill me, but then killed himself, weird"

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I haven't read the manga, but I'm glad the anime didn't take the bullying stuff in this episode any further than it did. I already saw the first episode of Magical Girl Site once and have no desire to see it repeated as part of a generally good show.