Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Welcome to 2019.

DFAC is closed, so its MREs from here on out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Buffalo chicken MRE is terrible. I'll trade it for something else.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dscruffy1 posted:

Buffalo chicken MRE is terrible. I'll trade it for something else.

As long as its not the vegan one.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
The chicken pesto one is the best

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
A buddy got excited when they announced the pizza MRE. I reminded him that the pizza MRE got kicked back at least once in tests for being too gross by the same people who approved the vegetarian omelet MRE. How loving terrible was that pizza?

Also tuna is hands-down the best MRE for life.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had the pizza MRE recently and, inexplicably, the only food item you were supposed to heat up was the cobbler.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Cold pizza rules.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The cheese was hard like royal icing

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Mid 90's Tuna with Noodles blech! I miss the Ham Slice from around that time with the bright blue packaging for the Ham. Never saw the blue packaging again maybe I had a weird batch.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
the beef brisket wasn't bad but the snack items that came with it were tragic AF

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Was the beef brisket supposed to be orange? I think I still have a picture, it was just orange mush but tasted fine. Halal MREs were good but now those were some truly tragic snacks.

The Spanish rice was the only inedible thing in the MREs I could find. Everything from the uncooked texture to the gross flavoring was horrible. I would have rather loosened my gullet and swallowed some veggie omelette (that used to come with chocolate pop tarts) than eat the Spanish rice MRE.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The only issue with halals is they come with loving decaf

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Cenen posted:

Was the beef brisket supposed to be orange? I think I still have a picture, it was just orange mush but tasted fine. Halal MREs were good but now those were some truly tragic snacks.

Is beef brisket ever supposed to be orange?

Also thanks thread now I'm watching a bunch of Youtube vids of people unboxing and consuming MREs, which is a far larger genre of Youtube vid than it has any business being.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That reminds me, if you're a GoT fan, do yourself a favor and watch some Red Wedding reaction videos. :lol:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Somewhat related to MRE chat, my best friend volunteered for a year of Air Advisor to escape JBSA. I've got his APO if anyone wants to send Copenhagen and marital aids.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Wild T posted:

Somewhat related to MRE chat, my best friend volunteered for a year of Air Advisor to escape JBSA. I've got his APO if anyone wants to send Copenhagen and marital aids.

PM me your buddy's address and I'll send him some snacks from Korea. Which shithole third world country did he end up in?

As an FYI/reminder to everyone else watching the thread, APO (and FPO?) to APO postage is 100% free, so all you overseas milgoons have nothing to lose (but your chains!) by mailing stuff to Wild T's buddy. I got a bunch of stuff from strangers when I was in Afghanistan, and 95% of it was greatly appreciated. The anatomically accurate inflatable sheep was the other 5%.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still cant figure out why theres a ratatouille MRE. Because it was sickeningly gross and I've never heard of anyone making the dish before, even at restaurants

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Chicken pesto pasta or spicy penne is where it's at. Dunno what the menu is like now though since I've been out since the beginning of 2017.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 4, 2019

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Never Ever take a case of MRE's that have been rattling around the inside of a truck cab cooking for a year. I made that mistake once. Opened the Burger patty and smelled the most putrid horrible smell and puked on the spot. Even the Jalapeno Cheese was turning colors. Vegetable crackers were still OK i guess. It was not a good night.
I now want to find this elusive pizza MRE. I kept hearing about these Mystery breakfast burritos in the DFAC's in Iraq.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

stinkypete posted:

I now want to find this elusive pizza MRE.

My unit just issued out cases of MREs for a lock-in. They were made in 2013. I'll let you know in 5 years when we start getting the 2018 pizzas.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If you want to be [more] depressed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_sY-nJ179U

There's literally a channel for everything.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If you want to be [more] depressed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_sY-nJ179U

There's literally a channel for everything.

Steve is a saint you monster.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
So how’s everyone doing? Officially been out a year and feeling great.

Sadly, I don’t miss it and find myself disconnecting more and more from that identity.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

xaarman posted:

Sadly, I don’t miss it and find myself disconnecting more and more from that identity.

Nothing wrong with that disconnect. Congrats on escaping.

I'm still in, and I'm still trying not to think about how little I could do and still get paid.

Like, I could just show up to work and wander the hallways all day drinking coffee, or I could actually do my job, and I'd get paid the exact same.

It's a bad thought path to go down.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

xaarman posted:

How's life under a bridge being poisoned by the alcoholism you can only afford to satiate with store brand isopropyl alcohol?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arc Light posted:

I'm still in, and I'm still trying not to think about how little I could do and still get paid.

Like, I could just show up to work and wander the hallways all day drinking coffee, or I could actually do my job, and I'd get paid the exact same.

I bust my rear end because I adore the mission and people I work with but I've failed at every attempt to gain the formal recognition that the people who spend all day drinking coffee get so I'll welcome the transition to contractor once I get my clearance renewed and my Master's. It's nice to have the flexibility of being able to take off whenever without a ton of scrutiny, though.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Being a contractor is not all it's cracked up to be and I've been taking classes to free myself of the dreadful existence. The pay isn't bad but my god we're treated like scum of the earth. I do have plenty of time to climb all the mountains so really it could be a lot worse

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'd be happier to take a civilian position if open ones weren't rarer than hen's teeth and almost literally require the planets to align for the timing to work out without an employment gap. It doesn't help that the agency I would want to work for is run by a guy who decided that requiring civilians to move across the country every 4 years for "career broadening" was beneficial and not a loving nightmare that ex-military were trying to get away from.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hotel Kpro posted:

Being a contractor is not all it's cracked up to be and I've been taking classes to free myself of the dreadful existence. The pay isn't bad but my god we're treated like scum of the earth. I do have plenty of time to climb all the mountains so really it could be a lot worse

It 100% depends on the location/command climate. I suspect you're right for most of them, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

xaarman posted:

I've been out two years as of this upcoming March, I miss the mission, not the personnel involved.

Just bought another house and moved.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Anyone spent any time at Bellows AFS? Or have recommendations for non-obvious stuff to do on Oahu? I'm heading down there for about two months this spring, and I'm sure I'm going to get a little bored of hanging out on the beach.

Also, I've determined being a lieutenant in the Guard is the best possible AF job. I only have to shave my beard once a month, no one really expects much of me during drills, make good money on UTA/orders, and they send me on trips around the world (sometimes in charge of people).

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

pkells posted:

Anyone spent any time at Bellows AFS? Or have recommendations for non-obvious stuff to do on Oahu? I'm heading down there for about two months this spring, and I'm sure I'm going to get a little bored of hanging out on the beach.

Also, I've determined being a lieutenant in the Guard is the best possible AF job. I only have to shave my beard once a month, no one really expects much of me during drills, make good money on UTA/orders, and they send me on trips around the world (sometimes in charge of people).

I have, but not in nearly 30 years. But it's a nice place to go.

Don't ignore the obvious stuff on Oahu. Get Dole Whip at the Dole Plantation. Go to Matsumoto's for shave ice. Find someplace with great ahi poke.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Bellows is just a MWR cabin/beach area. I think all they have is a small class six. Kaneohe Bay (marine base) is nearby for other stuff. Waikiki is about an hour away on the other side of the island. Food is probably the only thing that I miss about Oahu.

Definitely reccomend Shiros Saimin next to the Korean grocery store near pearl harbor, it is amazing, like a sweetish savory broth udon with like 200 menu options of sides.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Arc Light posted:

Thanks, one of the things I'm most surprised about is how much free time I have. I literally don't know what to do with it all. This is specific to the airlines, but I live in base and bid Short Call reserve. In November, I flew 5 days. I had a set schedule for December (lineholder) but went back to Short Call reserve for January... and haven't been called once. I actually look forward to going to work. It's amazing what happens when you can shut the door and not think about work again until you show up again.

Godholio posted:

How's life under a bridge being poisoned by the alcoholism you can only afford to satiate with store brand isopropyl alcohol?

I actually find myself drinking less. Not that I have anything against alcohol, but at my airline, the majority of the Captains I've flown with are 58+ and have kids around my age. Sometimes we'll grab dinner, but they're all angry so probably not.

CommieGIR posted:

I've been out two years as of this upcoming March, I miss the mission, not the personnel involved.

Just bought another house and moved.

Congrats on the house! I'm renting as I wanted some flexibility when I got out, but looking to build or remodel my dream (final) house in the next few years. I thought I'd miss the mission, but sadly, I don't. I have enough fun stories to BS when the situation comes up, but it's getting old replaying the same stories to a different crowd. More fun to talk about taking my Ducati to the racetrack this year, or building/remodeling a house. Maybe it just means I'm getting old.

--

I heard Pilot retention is in the low 30s now. Some take rates are up, but after the RIF/VSPs, the actual numbers are down because there's less eligible. Oh well!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still kind of miss my job but I dont miss the culture or people at all. Being a pizza boy is basically all the same drudgery as being an airman but I get paid almost the same and nobody cares if I smoke weed.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

My new troop showed up wearing a Sonic the Hedgehog t-shirt.

:ohdear:

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Arc Light posted:

Intel or comm?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arc Light posted:

Our new guy got visited by CPS after smacking his 2 year old in an Applebees.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

Our new guy got visited by CPS after smacking his 2 year old in an Applebees.

Hopefully CPS will do something about it.

Arc Light posted:

Fresh out of basic/Tech? WTF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Of my techschool class of 11 people i witnessed 4 pipeliners (male/female/other) openly weep from frustration