Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Talked to a USAF officer while getting an OTS pack going, I'm told both cyber and Intel are always needing people and I'm thinking "maybe other life stuff" is better than that when my contract is up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Casimir Radon posted:

Our new guy got visited by CPS after smacking his 2 year old in an Applebees.

2 year olds are loving sociopath assholes who only respect strength, so sometimes you gotta smack em around a little bit.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Rekinom posted:

Slicksleeves are loving sociopath assholes who only respect strength, so sometimes you gotta smack em around a little bit.

Guidance from my first supervisor who came over from the marines after a decade of service

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rekinom posted:

2 year olds are loving sociopath assholes who only respect strength, so sometimes you gotta smack em around a little bit.

2 year olds are not capable of understanding the how's or why's of that level of punishment.

Congrats, youre contributing to childhood PTSD.

Multiple studies and the American Pediatrics Association agree that physical punishment has little to negative effect on outbursts, especially below the age of 6 because your child isn't an adult and doesn't grasp those details yet. Hell, at the age of 2 your child cannot even really fully control their emotions or even understand them. Mentally and emotionally, your toddler is basically on a continuous roller coaster of emotions and they barely grasp what is going on internally.

Do NOT use physical discipline with God damned toddlers. Use firm, low tones, without threats of violence. Or just be understanding. They are as confused as you are.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 8, 2019

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I can’t smack a kid. Or really any kind of corporal punishment. My parents beat the poo poo out of me as a child until I was big enough and brave enough to hit back.

Breaking the goddamned cycle of abuse if it’s the last thing I do.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

call your kid your "troop"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Clavavisage posted:

Of my techschool class of 11 people i witnessed 4 pipeliners (male/female/other) openly weep from frustration

I know a controller who did it. On scope.

maffew buildings posted:

Talked to a USAF officer while getting an OTS pack going, I'm told both cyber and Intel are always needing people and I'm thinking "maybe other life stuff" is better than that when my contract is up

Depending on what you can get from them, that may or may not be true. I imagine the way the AF treats cyber, they'd completely block you from getting anything marketable out of it though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Depending on what you can get from them, that may or may not be true. I imagine the way the AF treats cyber, they'd completely block you from getting anything marketable out of it though.

Air Force Cyber is largely a joke, I was a Sys Admin before enlistment, and was able to talk a Cyber guy over the phone on how to repair a Domain Controller that went flakey and lost its trust relationship, he didn't know what to do.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I'm kinda bored so I'll relay more fun stuff about my life. Things were kinda tight in Minnesota when I first got out so I joined a sperm bank and did the whole donation thing for 6 months. Picked up a roommate who was also former air force so it made things easier but Minnesota just wasn't for me so I moved out to Utah. Turned out they had two openings at the lab here and I brought my roommate with me. I figured the whole paying for sperm thing was BS for other people so I offered it for free. Got in contact with a woman who's husband couldn't produce anything and she decided to take me up on it. A few months later a little dude pops out. Around that time her husband really stopped giving a poo poo and went fishing every night/weekend. Wife is finishing up her doctorates and decided after years of a mediocre marriage with no support she was done and kicked him out. We started hanging out and she asked me out and now we're dating. She seems really into me and brought the dickbook to a white elephant family dinner and it sounded like it was really popular with the family. I'm hoping things work out, she's a great person and the little dude is pretty awesome so far.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hotel Kpro posted:

I'm kinda bored so I'll relay more fun stuff about my life. Things were kinda tight in Minnesota when I first got out so I joined a sperm bank and did the whole donation thing for 6 months. Picked up a roommate who was also former air force so it made things easier but Minnesota just wasn't for me so I moved out to Utah. Turned out they had two openings at the lab here and I brought my roommate with me. I figured the whole paying for sperm thing was BS for other people so I offered it for free. Got in contact with a woman who's husband couldn't produce anything and she decided to take me up on it. A few months later a little dude pops out. Around that time her husband really stopped giving a poo poo and went fishing every night/weekend. Wife is finishing up her doctorates and decided after years of a mediocre marriage with no support she was done and kicked him out. We started hanging out and she asked me out and now we're dating. She seems really into me and brought the dickbook to a white elephant family dinner and it sounded like it was really popular with the family. I'm hoping things work out, she's a great person and the little dude is pretty awesome so far.

Sounds like things are on the up and up, what's her doctorate in?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

CommieGIR posted:

Sounds like things are on the up and up, what's her doctorate in?

It's one of the ones in healthcare, I forget which one specifically. She works in a hospital pretty much everywhere except the specialty roles. One day she's in pediatrics, then mental health, the ER, the ICU... It sounds tough but she thoroughly enjoys it

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Softface posted:

Intel or comm?

Comm. And it gets better.

He also loves Magic the Gathering and his fbook picture is an anime girl. The nerd trifecta. We're support for intel, so at least he'll blend in. He's like the platonic ideal of a backshop comm weenie.

Edit: he's an NCO.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

You picked the wrong side of that split, imagine all the fishing you could be doing with your new buddy

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

CommieGIR posted:

2 year olds are not capable of understanding the how's or why's of that level of punishment.

Congrats, youre contributing to childhood PTSD.

Multiple studies and the American Pediatrics Association agree that physical punishment has little to negative effect on outbursts, especially below the age of 6 because your child isn't an adult and doesn't grasp those details yet. Hell, at the age of 2 your child cannot even really fully control their emotions or even understand them. Mentally and emotionally, your toddler is basically on a continuous roller coaster of emotions and they barely grasp what is going on internally.

Do NOT use physical discipline with God damned toddlers. Use firm, low tones, without threats of violence. Or just be understanding. They are as confused as you are.

Nah, Imma beat my kids til they act right. Thanks for all the words, science bitch.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

BROOOOOOoooosssss

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rekinom posted:

Nah, Imma beat my kids til they act right. Thanks for all the words, science bitch.

i thought you were a noble? cuz this some chief poo poo right here

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Larry Parrish posted:

i thought you were a noble? cuz this some chief poo poo right here

poo poo man, I commissioned with a guy who beat his kid until it died.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

:stare: Uh.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Arc Light posted:

My new troop showed up wearing a Sonic the Hedgehog t-shirt.

:ohdear:

Lol. One of my troops popped up on Kakao with an anime profile pic. It's been going about how I expected (i.e crippling phone addiction, tried to draw anime in their CDCs or in notebook during briefings, etc).

Arc Light posted:

Comm. And it gets better.

He also loves Magic the Gathering and his fbook picture is an anime girl. The nerd trifecta. We're support for intel, so at least he'll in. He's like the platonic ideal of a backshop comm weenie.

Edit: he's an NCO.

You got a good one hahaha.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 12, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Got 25 years.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

Officers just go for it but chiefs loudly talk about how it makes them a good parent

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

Officers just go for it but chiefs loudly piggyback at the commander's call

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Gotta figure out a way to get piggybacked on to a 1206/EPR.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
Starting to plan my exit strategy from the AF. Should be getting out as a major, with a masters degree (from a real school thank god), and TS/SCI. Why does clearancejobs not list pay for their various jobs listings.

Still thinking about starting over and trying to get a PPL and work my way up. Also applying to the state dept because gently caress why not.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Because companies don't want to advertise their salaries for a variety of reasons.

I've got an ABM friend who started working for State about a year ago. I don't know any details but she apparently loves it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Also the companies will know precisely what salary you’ve been making down to the penny so good luck negotiating

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
Is there a reason why so many spouses are antivaxxers and generally not very good at critical thinking? Like their husband is vaccinated against loving anthrax but they can't take all 5+ kids to get flu shots etc. and instead they see chiropractors when their kids get sick or wet the bed at some inappropriate age.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Because they're married to Intel and husbands are autistic?

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
I don't know what causes it. I do know the only way to fix it is for the Med group commander be willing to throw enough people to be a total pain in the rear end in every way possible at everyone who doesn't bring in their kid.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
It should legally be child abuse....

....but its not :smith:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

samizdat posted:

Is there a reason why so many spouses are antivaxxers and generally not very good at critical thinking? Like their husband is vaccinated against loving anthrax but they can't take all 5+ kids to get flu shots etc. and instead they see chiropractors when their kids get sick or wet the bed at some inappropriate age.

Might as well ask why they’re bundles of anxiety and depression despite having every possible material need cared for and all the wives club socialization they could dream of.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Huh, no more promotion testing for MSgt+ or dec points? Guess I'll have to bust out the knee pads and suck some dick for that must promote.

Hahaha, gently caress off, 20yr Tech for lyfe.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

nullscan posted:

Huh, no more promotion testing for MSgt+ or dec points? Guess I'll have to bust out the knee pads and suck some dick for that must promote.

Hahaha, gently caress off, 20yr Tech for lyfe.

That's pretty much my takeaway from it. Promotion to E7 next year and years onward will depend on whether or not you suck your commander's preferred flavor of dick.

Guess that means this year is both my best and worst chance to make it, with my last few EPRs.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I just PCSd without my shop realizing my departure date until the day before I left.

Completely dodged the usual going away dog and pony show.

A small victory, but a sweet one.

Edit: shout-out to nullscan for keeping it on the down low.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Totally saw the shop walking in Downtown Songtan for your going away lunch I guess while I was on the motorcycle. I was on the way to an appointment at Humphreys to have my nerves electrified or I would have stopped and said hi.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

nullscan posted:

Totally saw the shop walking in Downtown Songtan for your going away lunch I guess while I was on the motorcycle. I was on the way to an appointment at Humphreys to have my nerves electrified or I would have stopped and said hi.

That was just a shop lunch. We managed to lose both our NCOIC and section chief, along with any chance of a goodbye speech, so I feel like it was still a victory.

Another goon would have always been welcome, though

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Hi Air Force thread. Is anyone familiar with the quality of the Air Force Inn at Nellis? I'm going out for a planning conference next week, and although I've done multiple dets to Nellis before, this is the first time I'm actually staying on base. I've heard the lodging is kind of crappy, but so far my experience with the Air Force has been way better than what the Navy usually provides.

Also, is there any reasonable way to get between the base and the Vegas strip without being sober? I always felt like Uber could make a poo poo ton more money in places with big military bases by having an option to select drivers who can get onto base.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There are uber drivers that can get on base, but I don't know if there's a way to select it in the app or anything.

As far as lodging, you'll probably end up at the Warrior Inn, which is older but if the HVAC is working it's fine. The Nellis Inn is where the lodging office is, and IMO that main building is the nicest. The DV/VIP quarters are poo poo. They're ancient, and when I was in there for a week last year I had multiple roaches. I've stayed in about half the lodging buildings here.

Edit: If you're at the Nellis Inn you're just inside the main gate on Craig Rd...you can walk to the 7-11 for the uber. Dunno how the gate guards are if you're trying to stumble back through though.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 23, 2019

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

Edit: If you're at the Nellis Inn you're just inside the main gate on Craig Rd...you can walk to the 7-11 for the uber. Dunno how the gate guards are if you're trying to stumble back through though.

That actually doesn't sound too bad, I may give that a shot. It's not like I'm planning to get shitfaced, it would just be nice to be able to enjoy a good dinner with a few well earned cocktails. I'm going with one other guy from my squadron, so the DD options are pretty limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Actually the visitor's center might be a better option. It's outside the gate, but keeps you from crossing a busy as hell intersection.