Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Our dentists did a decent job, my wife had a need for a root canal and we couldn't afford it, luckily a base dentist said "Well, we need the practice" and they did a root canal free of charge on her. Awesome guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

As Nero Danced posted:

My brother went to get a tooth pulled on base once, when they were finished he looked in the mirror and realized they yanked the one behind the tooth he went in for.

Why does it feel like every military doctor is hiding from a malpractice suit?

Google the Feres Doctrine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:lol: It's barely hyperbole.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Well, I'm glad my instincts are sound at least.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015
Do sub crews catch fish? gently caress, do surface ships catch fish?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I know they catch crabs all the time.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Question...

.So I'm the idiot because I didn't know id get BAH while on a long TDY at Tech School....And currently my home of record is in a lovely state with low BAH. Now, my home unit is in a really expensive state and i planned on moving to said state after Tech School.

But upon finding out I get BAH and a significant more (like more than dbl) by having my Home of Residence in Expensive State...im scrambling now to get "moved" to Expensive State Home of Record a week before my orders start.

My question is, If i take over a familys member utility bill but never actually live at the address before I leave for Tech School, could the Air Force get me for fraud?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

First off, you're not talking about your home of record. You're talking about your residence. Home of record is generally where you lived when you joined. You can change it, but it takes an effort. Changing residence is typically as easy as setting up a utility, getting a driver's license, or registering to vote. Home of record is where they will PCS you when you separate, too (or you can go somewhere else, up to the cost of sending you to home of record).

Where are you supposed to live according to your orders? You're under no obligation to declare yourself a resident of the state you serve in, so you can definitely cherry pick to a point. For example, I joined in Utah, went to training in Alabama, had my first PCS to Florida (from Utah). Utah was still charging income tax for military residents even if they were stationed elsewhere, so I got a Florida driver's license, submitted a form to Finance, and became a Florida Resident (TM). I stayed a Florida resident even after I PCSed elsewhere. Perfectly legit, perfectly legal.

Have you PCSed anywhere? I'm guessing no.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Godholio posted:

First off, you're not talking about your home of record. You're talking about your residence. Home of record is generally where you lived when you joined. You can change it, but it takes an effort. Changing residence is typically as easy as setting up a utility, getting a driver's license, or registering to vote. Home of record is where they will PCS you when you separate, too (or you can go somewhere else, up to the cost of sending you to home of record).

Where are you supposed to live according to your orders? You're under no obligation to declare yourself a resident of the state you serve in, so you can definitely cherry pick to a point. For example, I joined in Utah, went to training in Alabama, had my first PCS to Florida (from Utah). Utah was still charging income tax for military residents even if they were stationed elsewhere, so I got a Florida driver's license, submitted a form to Finance, and became a Florida Resident (TM). I stayed a Florida resident even after I PCSed elsewhere. Perfectly legit, perfectly legal.

Have you PCSed anywhere? I'm guessing no.

im ANG. Never PCS'd or TDY longer than 40 days. Im going to UCT (6 month TDY). Rules just changed where we get BAH on UCT along with Per Diem and lodging covered.. My home of record (which is on my orders) is in GA and my unit is in CA.

finance told me its not too late to change my Home of Record and get my orders amended to reflect that. Im thinking i can just get a bill in my name from a family member. What im asking is, is it fraud if I never actually lived at the address prior to my orders starting (even though I plan on moving there after training is over)?

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Greetings from Fart Bragg. Army people are weird. 90% of the guys here wear Monster Energy t-shirts and look like they could pick me up and throw me like a football

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Knives Amilli posted:

im ANG. Never PCS'd or TDY longer than 40 days. Im going to UCT (6 month TDY). Rules just changed where we get BAH on UCT along with Per Diem and lodging covered.. My home of record (which is on my orders) is in GA and my unit is in CA.

finance told me its not too late to change my Home of Record and get my orders amended to reflect that. Im thinking i can just get a bill in my name from a family member. What im asking is, is it fraud if I never actually lived at the address prior to my orders starting (even though I plan on moving there after training is over)?

Let me re word your question into a slightly more obvious way:

Can I ask a family member to put a utility in my name at an address I’ve never lived at, and have no intention of living at in the future, to make the government pay me more.

Yes that is a fantastic idea and you should definitely do that. I’m glad your chain of command suggested it.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

xaarman posted:

Let me re word your question into a slightly more obvious way:

Can I ask a family member to put a utility in my name at an address I’ve never lived at, and have no intention of living at in the future, to make the government pay me more.

Yes that is a fantastic idea and you should definitely do that. I’m glad your chain of command suggested it.

Right right i figured it out. I always planned on moving to CA with my cousin, I'm just now doing so 6-9 months earlier than I originally planned :v:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Seeing as you're ANG, it's worth investigating further. Active duty guys can get away with the whole "I plan to retire here" lie, but in your case, changing your state of residence might gently caress with your continued employment, as you're a state employee currently on (I assume) state-level orders, rather than federal level.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Heading TDY to McConnell in a couple weeks. I'm there ten days, is there anything to do besides drink and watch the plants grow?

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Wild T posted:

Heading TDY to McConnell in a couple weeks. I'm there ten days, is there anything to do besides drink and watch the plants grow?

There's a pretty good entertainment area downtown with bars, shops, restaurants and a good movie theater. It's about 15 minutes away from base.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Just got my household stuff after more than a year in NTS. Really looking forward to sleeping in my own bed again.

OH WAIT.

The moving company at my last base lost all the screws/nuts/bolts/etc for my shipment. Along with the furniture instructions.

So now I have a house full of disassembled furniture. One last gently caress you from Barksdale.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Arc Light posted:

Just got my household stuff after more than a year in NTS. Really looking forward to sleeping in my own bed again.

OH WAIT.

The moving company at my last base lost all the screws/nuts/bolts/etc for my shipment. Along with the furniture instructions.

So now I have a house full of disassembled furniture. One last gently caress you from Barksdale.

One of my friends was returning from an overseas base, and had his personal vehicle burned to a shell in the ship that was in port awaiting unloading. NTS claims all.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

One of my friends was returning from an overseas base, and had his personal vehicle burned to a shell in the ship that was in port awaiting unloading. NTS claims all.

Goddamn. Hope he got a nice payoff.

After they literally destroyed my car's transmission on my first PCS, I've never shipped another vehicle. I left my current car with a buddy at Barksdale while I was in Korea, then drove it to the new unit.

Cost me a couple days leave and some gas money, but the car still works. More than I can say for anything valuable I've entrusted to TMO.

Edit: but honestly, flying commercial to Louisiana and then driving was still a way more pleasant experience than getting stuck on a rotator for 14 hours, so it paid for itself.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 14, 2019

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dudes it's finally happening - I think I've unfucked fighter scheduling with software. Whiteboards have been a gold standard software's yet to beat. I think that's over.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you say PEX I'm gonna burn your house down.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Was thinking Excel

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Godholio posted:

If you say PEX I'm gonna burn your house down.

:same:

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Dominoes posted:

Was thinking Excel
A+ would read again

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Pex is trying to roll out a 'universal scheduler' with the same goal, but they operate with the traditional contract mindset - ie never work with the user. It will be unusable, as is existing Pex.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
who needs the schedule when you call command post from the bar at 2 am and ask about the crew details from every trainer over a civilian cell phone

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dominoes posted:

Pex is trying to roll out a 'universal scheduler' with the same goal, but they operate with the traditional contract mindset - ie never work with the user. It will be unusable, as is existing Pex.

Honestly Pex is almost a good interface. It's that USAF IT is utter trash that doesn't let anything run properly that's probably the biggest problem. When Chrome takes 4 minutes to load, then half the links are broken because they individually timed out so you have to refresh 2-3 times, we gots issues.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I’m running a guard DFT in Hawaii right now, and our first rotation was supposed to fly out on a ME ANG 135 today, and right before they were supposed to board around 8pm, the plane mysteriously developed an oxygen issue. I guess one night in Honolulu wasn’t enough for the crew? I’d laugh, but I kinda feel bad for the squadron that’s stuck in the PAX terminal tonight with no rental cars or hotel reservations. They were good people.

Side note: sometimes the Air Force can be awesome, and this is one of those times. Living on the beach for a couple months while getting paid +per diem? It doesn’t get much better than this.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Godholio posted:

Honestly Pex is almost a good interface. It's that USAF IT is utter trash that doesn't let anything run properly that's probably the biggest problem. When Chrome takes 4 minutes to load, then half the links are broken because they individually timed out so you have to refresh 2-3 times, we gots issues.
1: Strongly disagree. 2: We've got 3 standalone computers on squadron wifi for this reason.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

pkells posted:

I’m running a guard DFT in Hawaii right now, and our first rotation was supposed to fly out on a ME ANG 135 today, and right before they were supposed to board around 8pm, the plane mysteriously developed an oxygen issue. I guess one night in Honolulu wasn’t enough for the crew? I’d laugh, but I kinda feel bad for the squadron that’s stuck in the PAX terminal tonight with no rental cars or hotel reservations. They were good people.

Side note: sometimes the Air Force can be awesome, and this is one of those times. Living on the beach for a couple months while getting paid +per diem? It doesn’t get much better than this.

gently caress that, they shoulda cut their orders with "variations authorized" and booked hotels and transportation for everyone when they found out they weren't going. If they are too chickenshit to just do it anyway and tell the RA to approve it when they get home, then they deserve to sleep in the PAX terminal like some bitches.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Rekinom posted:

gently caress that, they shoulda cut their orders with "variations authorized" and booked hotels and transportation for everyone when they found out they weren't going. If they are too chickenshit to just do it anyway and tell the RA to approve it when they get home, then they deserve to sleep in the PAX terminal like some bitches.

This same unit got screwed with their per diem. They were forced to claim essential unit messing instead of meals provided during the week (which they were), which left them with a $3 per diem for incidentals. I think the alternative was $27 or something.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pkells posted:

The guard flies hanger queens in general so you get the amazing A-3 write up every landing thing a lot

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
The proudest I ever was of the Air Force was when it sponsored the first legal officially sanctioned bare knuckle boxing match in the USA since the 1800’s in some bumfuck state.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Just dropped the 2656 to retire (22ish in Army Reserve/ Army NG/ & AF Reserve). Fingers crossed that there aren't too many "welp, you screwed this up - start again," moments.

-feels good, man.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Dammit_Carl! posted:

"welp, you screwed this up - start again.”

V/r,
AFPC

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Congratulations, life is much better on the outside.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015
Ecuador 'allows US military planes to use Galapagos island airfield'

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-48663283

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
Oh look, a guy I used to supervise made a thing:

https://www.iol.co.za/news/world/rape-day-creator-says-its-too-late-to-ban-controversial-game-20361211

:ughh:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well, don't leave us hanging.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I'm not going to click the link, but I suspect I can guess the relevant details with shocking accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It was either an AF or the idiot thread where someone said they walked in on some guy recommending an anime about a guy who climbs into women's wombs or something like that. And he was completely oblivious to the fact that everyone was disgusting by his choice of topic.