Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
okay I just started Re Mind and

Xigbar posted:

No i. An imaginary number. How fitting

this series is dumb anime poo poo in all of the best ways and I love it :allears:

e: are you supposed to play it when you're at that point in the story? because I'm level 99 and it's been super easy so far, not that I'm complaining really

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

You literally can’t play the DLC until you beat the main game so no.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

It's basically by design that you have an easy enough time with Re:Mind until you hit the Limit Cut.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I insisted on using all the special characters in Re:mind which made it fairly challenging. But also isn’t that the point? That you get to play with other characters?

I still haven’t gone back to challenge the data bosses because :effort: and I don’t want to have to grind munny to get elixirs or something

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I insisted on using all the special characters in Re:mind which made it fairly challenging. But also isn’t that the point? That you get to play with other characters?

I still haven’t gone back to challenge the data bosses because :effort: and I don’t want to have to grind munny to get elixirs or something

It requires playing the game over again from scratch but if you’re really desperate, the cheap way of dealing with it is to start a new game with EZ Codes turned on (particularly the one that makes all enemies die in one hit in exchange for you taking double damage from attacks) and then carrying that over to the DLC after finishing the main story.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I've played this game before, this is nothing new, but while I'm actually pretty impressed with how everything works visually in The Caribbean, it's incredible how much the tone of the climax clashes with Sora being just an incredible saccharine boy with no context for all the drama happening in front of him. Gotta love this dumb boy talking about hearts and stuff

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I'm on a replay and just finished that world this weekend. On my first go, I rushed through it a bit because I was dying to get to Big Plot, but on replays it's become one of my favorite worlds. It's just really fun to sail around and explore the islands. Makes me want to replay Assassin's Creed: Black Flag for more advanced ship combat and more islands.

I also really like how Sora just throws hands when Davy Jones stabs Imitation Orlando Bloom. But yeah you're right about the tonal whiplash.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Sora punching Davy Jones is up there for Disney World moments. Not quite Woody talking poo poo or Yeetus Vanitas but it's up there.

This time I went to all the islands before the final battle and I'm swimming in Electrum with nothing to spend it on until I get some Wellspring Crystals.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There was also Jack Sparrow knocking Luxord overboard via bad breath. Personally I feel that more Organization members should have been clowned on by Disney characters in this game.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also the entire level is Calypso putting Sora on the kids ride version of the story because she didn't want his love of the sea to be tainted.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Burkion posted:

Also the entire level is Calypso putting Sora on the kids ride version of the story because she didn't want his love of the sea to be tainted.

Mostly to use him as a backup plan if the brethren court don’t free her in all fairness. At some point it’s made pretty clear that Sora could unlock Calypso from Tia Dalma if he was aware of the situation she’s in and used the Keyblade on her.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sora is angrier with Davy Jones than he ever is with Xehanort or his derivatives.

And then Davy Jones was going to straight up murder him.

Burkion posted:

The great missed opportunity here being that we didn't get Goofy talk to Calypso as a lover to release her from her human bonds.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I loved that beautiful moment where Vexen has the chest open and finds out it was the literal organ heart instead of the weird literal metaphor that is standard to the series and then storms out in disgust.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Caidin posted:

I loved that beautiful moment where Vexen has the chest open and finds out it was the literal organ heart instead of the weird literal metaphor that is standard to the series and then storms out in disgust.

Terra: I don't understand.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Caidin posted:

There is no other moment in Kingdom Hearts that explains so very much and yet so very little quite like this one.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
On a odd whim I decided to rewatch Back-Cover. And I actually took note of a line MoM said. And it kinda made me look back at previous Kingdom Hearts games.

MoM: When a wielder is overcome by malice, or rather is heart is tainted by darkness.

KH1: Riku descent into darkness/being possessed by Ansem occured due to him being angry and pitiful towards Sora, and wanting to use the darkness out of malicious intent. But after that game, he began using the power of darkness for the sake of protecting others, and is now a key blade wielder who uses darkness without becoming a monster.

Terra: When Terra used the darkness to protect Ventus, he actually remained in control. It was Xehanort who struck the final blow. And when Terra was fighting Xehanort at the end of his story, he was doing so to fight and kill Xehanort, to avenge Eraqus..

And Xehanort only fell to the darkness and became a heartless when he chose too, and wanted to save the world from their endless darkness by creating a new, orderly/balanced world .And if darkness is malice.. why does that sound so familiar...

Why do birds fly...gently caress.

Oh my god..I’m having Tales of Besaria/Zestira flashbacks. Why does that work so well! Why am I imagining Sorey and Sora meeting. MY MIND-(brain has crashed)|

All jokes aside, the distinction between the darkness and malice definitley frames the Kingdom Hearts games I a new light.

But seriously, Sora meeting Sorey is a terrifying thought.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I finished my Critical Mode run of the base game. Gonna take a break and replay Bloodborne before I return to the DLC.

The difficulty ramped up pretty hard, with about half the graveyard fights having one person in particular who was just very rude to me. Then getting through the first Xehanorts Three fight felt like mostly luck. I definitely did not fully learn those guys before getting past them.

The Master Xehanort fights I feel like I mostly learned. The water segment was a bit rough but once I realized you can in fact just block 3 columns of fire converging on you it's fine. The next trouble spots were in the phase 2 of the final battle, primarily his DM. Are the lasers meant to be unblockable or am I just bad? I ended up cheesing them with Ariel after the third failed attempt trying to block everything.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The second chapter of Dark Road is out and it seems the end of the previous episode was just a glimpse of the future as all your party members are alive and well. Also we finally meet some Disney characters this time around.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
I guess every episode is going to end in a flash forward. I felt bad at the end cause I didn't think the scene would change by picking a different character and accidentally made Vor sad by not picking her.

I'm still intrigued as to where this is going considering Eraqus is getting KHUX visions too? Also, I think that scene hasn't even happened in English KHUX yet?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also there wasn’t much to this particular chapter other than Xehanort’s Adventures in Wonderland. Hopefully the next installment will have a bit more meat to it (especially considering how limited the actual gameplay in this game is). At the very least it would have been nice if we got the ability to rewatch previous cutscenes seeing as you can’t replay the story at all.

Have they mentioned anything about how many story chapters Dark Road will have in total?

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
I've seen nothing about how long Dark Road is meant to go on for. Since its tied to KHUX and KHUX is in endgame maybe it won't continue on much longer after it? :shrug:

I agree that the inability to replay the story is a baffling decision.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1298626577505419270

Just under 3 months now, nice.

I wasn't ready for a Dearly Beloved... that slaps!
https://twitter.com/DarkDivide_/status/1298626318314221570
https://www.jp.square-enix.com/kingdom/kh_mom/

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 26, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Nice

Still not sure if I’ll get it on PS4 or Switch but either way the new modes they showed were cool as hell. Boss fight mode! It’s basically the Theatrhythm: Kingdom Hearts game I always wanted.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That actually doesn’t look too bad and it seems like Sora’s not the only playable character (I’m also hoping we can play as Kairi at some point since the framing story seems to be focused around her).

I would have preferred a straightforward Kairi game mind you but this seems like it could be fun.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

if they were to actually make a kairi game i would very much like it not to be the rhythm spinoff, and instead an actual KH game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

if they were to actually make a kairi game i would very much like it not to be the rhythm spinoff, and instead an actual KH game.

yea it'd be a pretty lame cop out if they make kairi one of the main playable characters but only for something like this

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I mean this game looks like it might be alright but yeah, give us a real Kairi game you cowards.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Looks like that melody of memory game is also full price at $60. I'll enjoy it in a year or two when it's closer to $10.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ineffiable posted:

Looks like that melody of memory game is also full price at $60. I'll enjoy it in a year or two when it's closer to $10.

Most of us paid $60 to find out why Micky was shirtless at the end of the first game so

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

IIRC the complete Theatrhythm on 3DS was the full 40 bux plus DLC and that had more than enough content to be worth it IMO.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, 140+ songs, robust-looking online and a story sounds like it's worth it starting out at 60 bucks.

But I completely do not care to play a rhythm game, so I'll just enjoy it through streams to see the story about how halfway through this flashback game things go horribly wrong as MoM shows up and gives lyrics to Missing You to make it about how Sora is wack and always misses, and thus Kairi spends the back half going through memories so she can write lyrics to Dearly Beloved that makes it the most epic rap of history and reveals she was born in FF13 Versus.

I do think we'll get a big playable Kairi sooner or later, but i'm bummed that i really don't think she'll be a lead. Like, maybe they'll do Dream Drop Distance Dos and it's Riku and Kairi so she gets a very robust amount of screentime and gameplay, but that's the upper limit I see for now.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 27, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I mean I waited for the persona dancing collection to be like less than $30 for three music games and I've probably bought the theaterythm at half off so yeah I'm a bit stingy unless I'm super excited for the game.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
on the one hand i kind of decided i was finished with the series after KH3 (enjoyed the game but never followed the mobile stuff and so don't really care where the story is going), on the other hand i really enjoy rhythm games and bought both Theathrythm FF games right away so i guess they've got me

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Homora Gaykemi posted:

on the one hand i kind of decided i was finished with the series after KH3 (enjoyed the game but never followed the mobile stuff and so don't really care where the story is going), on the other hand i really enjoy rhythm games and bought both Theathrythm FF games right away so i guess they've got me

We're never done

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Homora Gaykemi posted:

We're gonna be saving Sora for the next fifteen years and you're gonna stay in this ride.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I will pre-order every Kingdom Hearts game. This is my pathology.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I mean, I'm already in it this deep (though I did have to resort to emulation for 358/2 and Coded) so I might as well just play every Kingdom Hearts game to completion.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
S-E's TGS website lists Masanobu Suzui, who directed the Theatrhytm games, as co-director of Memory of Melody

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, do we actually know what this game’s plot is about yet?

I imagine it’s following up on a line from the Limitcut Episode stating that Ansem (The Wise) and the others were currently scanning Kairi’s memories for clues about Sora but I’m not sure if anything more has been revealed yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, do we actually know what this game’s plot is about yet?

I imagine it’s following up on a line from the Limitcut Episode stating that Ansem (The Wise) and the others were currently scanning Kairi’s memories for clues about Sora but I’m not sure if anything more has been revealed yet.

There's a hooded guy Kairi tries to attack in The Final World. But that doesn't explain much.. at all