Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

1) not that I know of! Eventually you get cure and Goofy gets abilities that allow him to either heal using MP or give his MP to you or Donald so you can heal but so far in my latest playthrough, I've spent a bunch of time grinding for potions, and I definitely didn't have this problem in the later games,

2) after you beat the first ring of worlds you get a warp block for your Gummi ship to allow fast travel. Something the later games give you from the word go.

Even with the perks of the HD remake KH1 is a little rough around the edges. Why can't I assign items to shortcuts like KH2?

Also Deep Jungle feels like a fever dream - scenes happen, events occur, but there's no clear rhyme or reason and then suddenly you're done. Boy did this world suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

1stGear posted:

Okay, so I've put a couple hours into KH Final Mix and I have a couple questions

1) Is there any way to stop Donald and Goofy from getting owned in every fight other than spending all my munny on potions?

2) do I seriously have to do a gummi ship run every single time I travel between worlds and there's no way to skip back to traverse town

1) Not really. Maybe change their AI behaviour in the customize menu to fight more defensively?

2) Warping directly between worlds unlocks later.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Kheldarn posted:

It's offical. They aren't going to reveal any other Disney Worlds for the game.

Source: https://www.newsweek.com/kingdom-hearts-3-tai-yasue-interview-frozen-tangled-1277391
We're never gonna get a Jungle Book world, are we?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Customizing the behavior of Goofy and Donald is crucial. If you don’t, they will waste all their MP pretty much instantly and then stand around being dumb. You can set Donald to be more supportive by healing and using Aero and have Goofy be more defensive. You especially want to set Goofy to be more supportive once he learns MP Gift.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The best way to play Kingdom Hearts 1 is to crank it to easy and pretend Donald and Goofy don't exist.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I do highly recommend putting the games on easy if you’re just doing this for story to catch up. Then you don’t have to worry about any of this poo poo.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Also, make sure you prioritize the "Second Wind" abilities that Donald and Goofy learn. That gets them back into the fight quicker when they get KO'd.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Never not be on the hydra's back

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Re: story summaries in the OP, the PCP university lecture is funny but is way too long if you're honestly trying to catch up on the story. IMO this 36 minute video is the best actual KH summary video on the internet, might consider adding it to the OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV2DcmIK1rU

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 3, 2019

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I'm hoping that no more worlds announced thing doesn't mean there aren't anymore. It's criminal that with the amount of time Beauty and the Beast has gotten in kh, they've never gotten a proper world with best character. Where's my boy, Gaston?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Marluxia posted:

I'm hoping that no more worlds announced thing doesn't mean there aren't anymore. It's criminal that with the amount of time Beauty and the Beast has gotten in kh, they've never gotten a proper world with best character. Where's my boy, Gaston?

He apparently showed up in the mobile game but that's it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kheldarn posted:

It's offical. They aren't going to reveal any other Disney Worlds for the game.

Source: https://www.newsweek.com/kingdom-hearts-3-tai-yasue-interview-frozen-tangled-1277391

:(

Replace Overwatch's Ilios with Emperor's New Groove IMO

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
is the same voice director working on this one

because if so then all the characters are going to be about as lively and compelling as department store mannequins no matter what movies they came out of

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Larryb posted:

He apparently showed up in the mobile game but that's it.

Yeah he is and he summons a heartless called Enraged Elk that looks like Gaston’s buff torso with an elk head

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CxGJ0W8ynk

Get this man a shield!

*Hyuck*

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 4, 2019

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Also the thing about Gaston in the mobile game is he loving DIES

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Also the thing about Gaston in the mobile game is he loving DIES

A lot of people die in the mobile game, really. It might have the highest human body count of any KH game, by a wide margin.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I have not seen this posted yet, and I know it may be more a critical point to make while everyone is hyping up for KH3, but this video is really really solid at breaking down more about KH2 combat vs what we see KH3 is still doing. I don't think these threads break down about these arguments so it's not needed (since everyone can still enjoy a button masher anyways), but I think BB presents the case very well and it's a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqWh1faBaAA

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm not gonna lie. I'm quite a bit older now than I was when I played Kingdom Hearts 2. I am still going to be hype as hell for what looks like a new version of the big battle scene from the second game. I don't give a gently caress, that part of the trailer is like hell yeah

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ventana posted:

I have not seen this posted yet, and I know it may be more a critical point to make while everyone is hyping up for KH3, but this video is really really solid at breaking down more about KH2 combat vs what we see KH3 is still doing. I don't think these threads break down about these arguments so it's not needed (since everyone can still enjoy a button masher anyways), but I think BB presents the case very well and it's a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqWh1faBaAA
BB can be a bit...much sometimes but I think his video here is quite good. I've definitely been feeling the floatiness in the Osaka games as I've run through all of the KH games again in the last few months myself.

I don't really expect KH3 to be near as good mechanically as KH2FM at this point. I hope I'm wrong and it even comes close, but right now my I'm only expecting something around 0.2's level- fun to play casually, but nothing I think I'll get super invested into like I have with KH2FM.

EDIT: Just to be clear I 100% agree about the problem with finishers BB brings up, especially in 0.2 on Critical.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 4, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'll have a chance to play the demo next weekend. Provided the line isn't too long, and I get to play, I'll report back and let you know if it feels floaty or not.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm playing KH2FM again and wow everything melting to Duck Flare really can't have been intentional. Xaldin didn't even make it to the big dragon thingy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I'm not gonna lie. I'm quite a bit older now than I was when I played Kingdom Hearts 2. I am still going to be hype as hell for what looks like a new version of the big battle scene from the second game. I don't give a gently caress, that part of the trailer is like hell yeah

The finale of 2 (excluding the weird spaceship battle part) is still cool and I will stand by that.

Though debatably Asura's Wrath might have done the similar final battle that takes place in an abstract space thing better.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 4, 2019

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm playing KH2FM again and wow everything melting to Duck Flare really can't have been intentional. Xaldin didn't even make it to the big dragon thingy.

That's definitely my favorite limit and I hope it comes back in 3.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The weird spaceship battle that was the final gummi mission to break into the World that Never Was was the best though, because it's literally Org XIII sending their inexplicable space nobody armada at you to stop you from gaining access and you bust right through it. I will admit though that trying to do it with the regular upgraded gummi ship you get from naturally doing the other missions doesn't feel fun, but that's all of them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

how does sora cut buildings in half with a blunt object

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

He uses a ki blade

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Those buildings were clearly made of darkness.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Deregulation of the construction industry.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Those were the nobodies of real buildings, that’s why xemnas could control them

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sora didn't cut anything, the buildings split in two of their own accord to avoid the blade

Or would YOU rather be clobbered in the face with a huge fuckin key chain? No? Well, there's your proof

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Raxivace posted:

BB can be a bit...much sometimes but I think his video here is quite good. I've definitely been feeling the floatiness in the Osaka games as I've run through all of the KH games again in the last few months myself.

In streams and on twitter and stuff, BB can be kinda stubborn or meme-y yeah, but he does try to be thoughtful for his videos and I think this one shows it the best. The floatiness is something a lot of people felt but rare few wanted to explain what exactly it was and how specifically to handle it better.

Funky Valentine posted:

Both the PS3 and PS4 versions of KH2FM (probably unintentionally) buffed duck flare to have more hits, and it's especially notable for the PS4 version where it's the strongest. In the PS2 version Duck flare was still pretty strong and probably still up there as far as limits went, but other things were comparably strong. It's the PS4 version where duck flare is optimal for speedruns in pretty much most every fight after you get it cause it's just that strong.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Sora didn't cut anything, the buildings split in two of their own accord to avoid the blade

Or would YOU rather be clobbered in the face with a huge fuckin key chain? No? Well, there's your proof

Doesn't keyblade imply that these things are sharp despite their in-game modeling? Otherwise it's a bit sad on Sephiroth's part that having a big fuckoff legitimate sword isn't enough to beat a kid with a glorified stick.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Re: story summaries in the OP, the PCP university lecture is funny but is way too long if you're honestly trying to catch up on the story. IMO this 36 minute video is the best actual KH summary video on the internet, might consider adding it to the OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV2DcmIK1rU

I watched this plus a Oni Dark Mage's ReCapulation series of videos to catch up, and fully endorse them.

As for the combat, maybe I was playing it wrong, but I dunno how deep KH2FM is supposed to be. It felt like I was just jamming X and occasionally casting Reflect or healing. I felt that the lack of real defensive options, especially against combo attacks, was pretty frustrating tbh. I also didn't know how to trigger specific finishers so I just equipped them all and hoped that I could fly around like a death ball

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Shoren posted:

Doesn't keyblade imply that these things are sharp despite their in-game modeling? Otherwise it's a bit sad on Sephiroth's part that having a big fuckoff legitimate sword isn't enough to beat a kid with a glorified stick.

Pfft! A big fuckoff legitimate sword is NOTHING compared to the Power Of Friendship.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Wasn't there a line in the first KH game where the Disney villains comment on the Keyblade.

Something along the lines of:

"That's the power of the keyblade. The Child's Strength is not his own." or something like that.

Sora obviously uses the power of God and Anime to cut buildings because it'll look cool and will help sell more Pop Viynl Dolls.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Alright listen, I can't guarantee it for sure because I, like 95% of everybody else, have to wait until the 29th to play the game myself, but from actively searching out spoilers and leaks I can say with confidence that nobody who isn't a speedrunner will care about the differences in combat between KH2 and KH3. I can't say 100% that it will be just as good, but it will be fine.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Every recent KH2FM speedrun I've watched is basically Duck Flare: The Game.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Gologle posted:

Alright listen, I can't guarantee it for sure because I, like 95% of everybody else, have to wait until the 29th to play the game myself, but from actively searching out spoilers and leaks I can say with confidence that nobody who isn't a speedrunner will care about the differences in combat between KH2 and KH3. I can't say 100% that it will be just as good, but it will be fine.

I had a blast with the combat in 0.2. If 3 is just more of that I have no problem with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

The only thing I'm really concerned about vis a vis combat is a continuation of KH2's revenge value system and not the bullshit that BBS had. As long as there is a consistency to how bosses and other enemies react to your combos rather than just retaliating whenever they feel like it and I'll be good. I think that 0.2 is an indication that they have it right.