Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That bit about doing odd jobs to save up enough cash to have fun at the beach hit too close to home, let me tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The only FF highlight is the reoccurring Sephiroth secret boss and it wouldn't be very secret if they just showed him off in the trailers!

Didn't Nomura suggest Sephiroth and Tifa are just outward manifestations of Clouds Darkness and Light, respectively? A decade ago I wanted them to elaborate on that kinda thing... these days being a physical fragment of somebody else's psyche probably isn't even noteworthy anymore.

I guess they could explain the Zack thing.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Remember when Vivi was replaced by a clone? Or Setzer competed against some kids in a foam-bat fight club?

I want them to use more Final Fantasy characters but maybe it's better this way.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Caidin posted:

Didn't Nomura suggest Sephiroth and Tifa are just outward manifestations of Clouds Darkness and Light, respectively? A decade ago I wanted them to elaborate on that kinda thing... these days being a physical fragment of somebody else's psyche probably isn't even noteworthy anymore.

I guess they could explain the Zack thing.

The Kingdom Hearts universe runs on metaphor and allegory, while also being literal. At this point just roll with it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://twitter.com/awyeindid/status/966951870924079104

Xehanort and Eraqus exploring the worlds in their youth.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

https://twitter.com/awyeindid/status/966951870924079104

Xehanort and Eraqus exploring the worlds in their youth.

"Eraqus."
"Yeah?"
"Where's the Keyhole?"

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

So is there something special about those black coats or is everyone who wants to be a little mysterious just picking the same outfit since prehistory?
Or is that gonna be the plot of KH3? I haven't been watching trailers, so I guess it could be.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

aegof posted:

So is there something special about those black coats or is everyone who wants to be a little mysterious just picking the same outfit since prehistory?
Or is that gonna be the plot of KH3? I haven't been watching trailers, so I guess it could be.

the cloaks hide your smell so you don't have to shower.

this post is serious

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

the cloaks hide your smell so you don't have to shower.

this post is serious

I have to assume it really is serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAVqXXrPGbY

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
They are supposed to protect against the darkness, because even nobodies have to protect themselves, they're not heartless. But you know the real reason.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

aegof posted:

The cloaks keep Xehanort from being able to find you. So of course that means King Mickey and Riku get them, but not Sora or any of the Princesses Of Light.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Thats by design though. Everyone is obsessed with Sora, and he can obviously handle himself, so by constantly baiting Org 13 with Sora's whereabouts, Riku, DiZ and Mickey are able to move more freely in the background and get things done.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

aegof posted:

there was a sale

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It is kinda funny Chain of Memories had Riku develop smell powers only for it to be never mentioned again.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
This is purely gameplay spoilers, but I don't know if I should just post it, so I'm putting it in spoiler tags just in case. No story stuff, just combat related:

Seems finishers aren't invincible, nor do they appear to have super armor, so you can get knocked out of them, but that also apparently was a thing in KH2, so I dunno if that's really a bad thing or not. On the plus side, cinematic finishers, where you do a big lengthy flashy animation not only seem to be invincible, or at least super armored, but they also seem to stop all enemies on the field so they can either get hit by the attack or at the least don't hit you during the attack period of the animation.

Also from what I've seen it looks like big enemies don't get staggered and can attack you whenever they feel like it, but smaller enemies (like around your size or smaller) have stagger. The attraction summons have super armor but you aren't invincible during them. And the drat Sorcerer Nobodies are back with their obnoxious independent cubes and they have new exciting ways to be annoying.

Sora does way too many swinging circles in my opinion, but since combo modifiers are in maybe that's something that can be mitigated. A big thing I noticed is that you have MULTIPLE SHORTCUT menus that you can switch between with the D-pad, which to me is big, because you are no longer confined to only 4 spells/items.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Gologle posted:

Combat Stuff

Interesting. Does combat feel floaty?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I would actually have to be playing the game to answer that definitively, of course, but from what I've watched it's way too easy to just stay in the air if you want to or don't want to. But please note the leaker plays like a guy who believes that KH is all about mashing that X button as fast and as many times as you can, and incoming attacks and obvious tells can get hosed. In different hands the combat could very well look completely different.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gologle posted:

But please note the leaker plays like a guy who believes that KH is all about mashing that X button as fast and as many times as you can, and incoming attacks and obvious tells can get hosed.

This is the canonical way to play KH.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
where are you watching that stuff

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
There's a reddit set up by the leaker.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
thank you

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You had multiple shortcut menus in 0.2 FWIW.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gologle posted:

This is purely gameplay spoilers, but I don't know if I should just post it, so I'm putting it in spoiler tags just in case. No story stuff, just combat related:

Seems finishers aren't invincible, nor do they appear to have super armor, so you can get knocked out of them, but that also apparently was a thing in KH2, so I dunno if that's really a bad thing or not. On the plus side, cinematic finishers, where you do a big lengthy flashy animation not only seem to be invincible, or at least super armored, but they also seem to stop all enemies on the field so they can either get hit by the attack or at the least don't hit you during the attack period of the animation.

Also from what I've seen it looks like big enemies don't get staggered and can attack you whenever they feel like it, but smaller enemies (like around your size or smaller) have stagger. The attraction summons have super armor but you aren't invincible during them. And the drat Sorcerer Nobodies are back with their obnoxious independent cubes and they have new exciting ways to be annoying.

Sora does way too many swinging circles in my opinion, but since combo modifiers are in maybe that's something that can be mitigated. A big thing I noticed is that you have MULTIPLE SHORTCUT menus that you can switch between with the D-pad, which to me is big, because you are no longer confined to only 4 spells/items.

Just to be clear

In KH2 bigger than Sora enemies didn't stagger from normal hits either- they entered a stagger state by you completing a combo on them while remaining untouched. After a finisher they'd flinch and then you can knock them around to combo them. Is it the same case here or is it just a solid "no they armor everything with no change" because that's a colossal yikes if it's the latter.

Also if it helps with floaty-ness, it's more the speed of the combos. Does Sora swing super fast and fall to the ground while attacking or is does it look more like 0.2 where Aqua just hangs in the air forever with these big slow moves before slowly floating to the ground.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

aegof posted:

I remember something about the coats enabling the wearer to travel through darkness or something like that. Can't remember where I saw it tho.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah it's basically just "it masks your scent so nobodies (and/or) heartless can't tell where you are as long as you wear them" and it's why Riku and Mickey have them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

3 weeks!!!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gologle posted:

Alright listen, I can't guarantee it for sure because I, like 95% of everybody else, have to wait until the 29th to play the game myself, but from actively searching out spoilers and leaks I can say with confidence that nobody who isn't a speedrunner will care about the differences in combat between KH2 and KH3. I can't say 100% that it will be just as good, but it will be fine.

I think that combos are definitely faster than in the BBS-style games but not quite as fast and snappy as KH2 and this is a difference that I, not a speed runner, will probably notice and possibly even care about.
This game definitely looks fun, I don’t know if it’ll be as fun as KH2 and I won’t know until I get my hands on it but I can tell it won’t be a miserable slog to play on any difficulty above Standard like BBS and DDD and that’s definitely appreciated

the attraction attacks look neat but also are long and mechanically uninvolved so I see myself using them like once or twice each then ignoring them

I really like the idea of forms being tied to keyblades and being able to switch between three keyblades and storing your forms. I also really like that forms seem to have their own versions of the core magic attacks again. I’m still worried though from the 0.2 demo that getting a form or finisher will be opaque and inconsistent, but if they make that system more reliable it’ll be great how many options it adds.

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 7, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Picked up the all in one set last month and slowly been working my way through the platinums. I'm finishing bbs trophies right now.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Birth By Sleep is a joy to play, especially as Aqua since you can steamroll over every Unversed in your way and feel like a bamf

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I found it pretty interesting. The game is pretty easy even on critical as you can get thundaga so early. I finished Terra's reports first because he is the character with the bad dodge but he sure does move fast atleast. I think the combat wouldn't have been as much fun if I couldn't just grind out all the good skills after the first few worlds.

I would say the only game I didn't really enjoy of the pack was days because its not a game is just a 3 hour movie you have to slog through.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The game is more of a slog than the movie, trust me.

One of these days I will re-upload my 100% LP...

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Gologle posted:

Who's Xion?

idk if this is a serious post, but I am wanting to exercise the hours of youtube summaries I ingested.

358/2 Days/KH2 spoilers:
Roxas is a nobody of Roxas, which means that he has memories of his full person (Sora). Sora can use a keyblade, which means that Roxas can also use a keyblade. This is useful to Org13 because they want to release the hearts of the Heartless to create Kingdom Hearts. The plot of KH2 revolves around getting Sora to do this since they lost tabs on Roxas.

Xion is a replica (cross reference replica Riku in Chain of Memories) of Roxas created as a failsafe in case Roxas slipped up, Keyblade prowess included. Sora's memories ended up splitting between her and Roxas since they were both kind of his Nobodies. She represented all of Sora's memories of Kairi. Power kind of split between Roxas and Xion in a zero-sum kind of way because they were drawing from the same source. Back in Castle Oblivion (358/2 Days takes place roughly simultaneously), Namine is trying to reconstruct Sora's memories, but finds that she is unable since they are being held by Roxas and Xion. Riku meets Xion, and there is an understanding that she is a parasite unto Roxas, also expedited by Org13 wanting to shut her down for being a failed experiment. She forces Roxas to fight and beat her, which allows her to be absorbed by him and makes him the sole source of Sora's memories. This leads into the intro of KH2. After the events of KH2, she and Roxas live in Sora's heart.

Feel free to double check me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BBS basically requires you to stop and grind at regular intervals. If you don’t then the enemies are tedious to kill especially on Critical. If you do grind the game suddenly becomes a joke and you’re just mashing triangle and watching pretty lights. There’s no real balance.

Re:Coded is actually the only command deck game I find pretty fun to play because the leveling curve is balanced well and the attacks are a lot more snappy and combo together smoothly. Melee combat is actually fun in Re:Coded. It’s a shame the game doesn’t have more to it than a buncha scaled-down KH1 Worlds, KH1 enemies, bad minigames that take the place of proper boss battles, a tiny handful of actual bosses, and a ton of procedurally generated dungeons.

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 7, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I guess that is true but after lvl 10 regular unversed can't kill you anymore and you can do everything in the game after lvl 40. I found it strange all the guides recommending rushing for exp walker but every time I got to it I was lvl 30-40 and in no way needed it. Felt just fine building up fission firagas, thunder surges, curagas, thundagas, and then steamrolling the story.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 7, 2019

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Should I tell the girl I just started dating that in a short amount of time I will need to devote a lot of time away from her to play a game about Disney characters and keyblades or just call it off now?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Shadow225 posted:

idk if this is a serious post, but I am wanting to exercise the hours of youtube summaries I ingested.

358/2 Days/KH2 spoilers:

You said you were going to post spoilers, but there's nothing there? I don't understand, it's called Org. XIII, there is no 14th member, ez pz. It was just Roxas and Axel that hung out together.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pug Rodeo posted:

Should I tell the girl I just started dating that in a short amount of time I will need to devote a lot of time away from her to play a game about Disney characters and keyblades or just call it off now?

what you mean she’s not gonna play through it alongside you?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

358/2 Days/KH2 spoilers:
Roxas is a nobody of Roxas, which means that he has memories of his full person (Sora). Sora can use a keyblade, which means that Roxas can also use a keyblade. This is useful to Org13 because they want to release the hearts of the Heartless to create Kingdom Hearts. The plot of KH2 revolves around getting Sora to do this since they lost tabs on Roxas.

Xion is a replica (cross reference replica Riku in Chain of Memories) of Roxas created as a failsafe in case Roxas slipped up, Keyblade prowess included. Sora's memories ended up splitting between her and Roxas since they were both kind of his Nobodies. She represented all of Sora's memories of Kairi. Power kind of split between Roxas and Xion in a zero-sum kind of way because they were drawing from the same source. Back in Castle Oblivion (358/2 Days takes place roughly simultaneously), Namine is trying to reconstruct Sora's memories, but finds that she is unable since they are being held by Roxas and Xion. Riku meets Xion, and there is an understanding that she is a parasite unto Roxas, also expedited by Org13 wanting to shut her down for being a failed experiment. She forces Roxas to fight and beat her, which allows her to be absorbed by him and makes him the sole source of Sora's memories. This leads into the intro of KH2. After the events of KH2, she and Roxas live in Sora's heart.

Pretty sure the first line should be Roxas is a Nobody of Sora.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Pug Rodeo posted:

Of course. If she can't accept Kingdom Hearts and the attention it deserves, she's clearly not worth dating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

TheLoneStar posted:

Of course. If she can't accept Kingdom Hearts and the attention it deserves, she's clearly not worth dating.

this but unironically