Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

All ya'll hate on Gummi Ships but if they'd released a game that was an extension of the Gummi levels in KH2 with more levels and more parts to build with I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I love building dumb ships and blowing stuff up. The final boss in the last Gummi Ship level in 2 was a blast, I kept trying to beat it with cleverly built ships and failing, and then built a ship that looked like a Dalek and somehow that was good enough to beat it.

KH3 gummi ships sound like they're right up my alley. Cheese!? Fire? A flying ramen stand!? Sign me up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

1) not that I know of! Eventually you get cure and Goofy gets abilities that allow him to either heal using MP or give his MP to you or Donald so you can heal but so far in my latest playthrough, I've spent a bunch of time grinding for potions, and I definitely didn't have this problem in the later games,

2) after you beat the first ring of worlds you get a warp block for your Gummi ship to allow fast travel. Something the later games give you from the word go.

Even with the perks of the HD remake KH1 is a little rough around the edges. Why can't I assign items to shortcuts like KH2?

Also Deep Jungle feels like a fever dream - scenes happen, events occur, but there's no clear rhyme or reason and then suddenly you're done. Boy did this world suck.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Sora goes from wacking heartless with one keyblade to TWO keyblades and then I guess gets real depressed. Character development!

I really like KH2:ReCoM, a lot more than the original, but it took a bit for the concept to click, and I strongly recommend skipping the in-world cutscenes, unless you really want a minor twist on a rehash of the world's from the first game. The cutscenes in between levels are where all of the plot happens. Obviously you don't skip cutscenes in the worlds that are new. All three of them.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Remember when Vivi was replaced by a clone? Or Setzer competed against some kids in a foam-bat fight club?

I want them to use more Final Fantasy characters but maybe it's better this way.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

The command board is a nice minigame because it has an actual effect on your normal gameplay but it's also completely skippable, and it's a pretty decent Monopoly pastiche. It gets old by the third character run, but I can't imagine a minigame that wouldn't.
The Disney town minigames on the other hand can get bent.

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 8, 2019

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Playing through it again, KH1 has a really good end game. Hollow Bastion, returning to Hollow Bastion and then the World That Never Was has a lot of atmosphere and awesome boss battles.

But before that, the only worlds that i dont try to speed run are Agrabah and Halloween Town, maybe Neverland. Wonderland and Deep Jungle have really weird nonlinear plots that leave me confused on where to go even after multiple play throughs. The coliseum is 90% tournaments, which have some fun fights but most of which is busy work. Atlántica exists, unfortunately.

poo poo. I was replaying the game to get to the Final Mix content but I think the only thing I'm actually missing is the fight against Unknown/Xemnas and getting keyblades for Ice Titan and Sephiroth, who, to be honest, I don't really want to redo in this game. Is the Unknown fight worth it?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Syka posted:

In the Country of the Musketeers world in DDD, Mickey (and Donald and Goofy?) are supposed to be the same ones that eventually meet Sora and company, right? What about Pete? Is he the same Pete we know? Why don't Mickey Donald and Goofy recognize him? Is the answer "don't think about it too hard?"

Everything in DDD is a dream and isn't technically happening, which is why you can have Fantasia and the Musketeers with Mickey but no continuity between them.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Zaa Boogie posted:

That paid DLC better be "Kingdom Hearts 3: Kairivengeance". :colbert:

RULES OF NATURE

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm a bit put off by the unlocking of the special gummi ships, I've got a bunch of blueprints but can't use any of them and in already Gummi level 60. I know most of them are just gimmicks but it's really disappointing to get all of these blueprints and I can't do anything with them.

On the other hand my custom gummi ships have lasers and dogs and they melt pretty much everything, and that's been a blast.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Klungar posted:

The caveat here is that you can’t edit Special Blueprints unless you have all the required parts, you may be seeing this error pop up and misinterpreting what it means.

Yep, that was it. That makes a lot more sense.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

How do you A-rank the gummi ship boss in the tornado? I've cleared it with no damage using the Golden Highwind but it still only got me a B. In at 99% completion on the gummi ship stuff but I'm still missing a couple of parts and I'm not sure if this is the missing 1%.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

"Who are you guys?"
"I'm Sora!"
"I'm Donald!"
Goofy waves and stares directly into the camera, completely silent.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I really liked the gameplay in Re:COM, I played through it a couple of times and would've done more if it had a new game+ mode. As is I started the first world after finishing KH1 (I also gave up at Ansem II because of how hard it was and also because I've already replayed this game a bunch and I'm ok skipping the gauntlet of final boss forms that turns into a big dumb looking boat) and then put it down because I didn't want to do all the grinding I did the last time I played and I can't play a card game without grinding for all the good cards.

Riku's story is solid, if it was available without first playing Sora's story I'd probably jump into it on its own because it holds up as its own thing. There's not as much grinding, you only control what level you are rather than what's actually in your deck, so it's more about getting good at the combat instead of building stupidly overpowered sleights and using Tornado/Megaflare/Reflect Raid on everything ever. I don't remember the plot of each world having a lot to it, it's mostly Riku facing his own darkness in the form of (Disney Villain), but there's enough there that I'd say it's as important as Sora's story. There's a couple of Org XIII members who only really interact with Riku.

Boy, the way Org XIII was introduced is really weird. Half of them are dead before you meet the other half. When you finally meet the whole gang in KH2, there's 7 of them. What? Why?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm making my way through KH2FM for the first time. It's been a long time since I played KH2. It holds up much better than KH1FM. I'm playing on critical and, uh, this is much harder than I expected and certainly much harder than on Proud! I've died more this time than I did the couple of times I played it when it first came out. On the one hand I wish the game-over system was a little more friendly and I didn't have to walk back to a scripted battle every time I eat it, and I really really wish this game started you with a dodge. On the other hand I finally got to see Mickey rescue you, which I'd never seen in vanilla KH2. I am having an absolute blast.

I would play a game that was just the mechanics from the gummi ship in this game. KH3 had a neat take on the gummi ship but I think overall I prefer KH2's version, it feels tighter and like building your ship makes a bigger difference. I was really annoyed in KH3 that the unlockable ships were so much stronger than anything you can build.

Replaying Roxas story, I really appreciated the sense of alienation and confusion they create, there's a lot of pathos. It's a sharp contrast with Sora's immediate goofy and light-hearted tone, and it's a nice touch when it pops in every so often when someone refers to Roxas and Sora is like "who what huh?"

My favorite moment so far is when you first visit Hollow Bastion and Sora is speaking to Leon about Organization XIII and then Xemnas chimes in from off screen with a very sassy, "You called?" Maybe it's being older, maybe it's completing the grim and humorless MGSV last week, but I'm really appreciating the humor in KH2 a lot more than I did before.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Chucat posted:

This reminds me of how completely hosed the start of KH2 is in a way. You're just playing as a random kid in a weird Matrix like town who is just getting gangstalked and gaslit by some random rear end in a top hat. Then you die (well not technically, but it's close enough).

Incidentally, I'm gonna try a Critical playthrough, is there anything I should know (I played Proud and disliked pretty much every Data Org fight except for Xaldin and Luxord, so I'm probably in for a real bad time). Also how the hell do Limits/Summons work, my main experience with them in 2 has just been summoning Stitch to be really useful support/regen.

I'm part way through my first critical play through of KH2, I just got to the first visit to Olympia. So far the hardest thing has been getting through the fights with Axel in the beginning when you only have potions to heal with and you can't really farm, because you can die in two hits and you don't have a Dodge, so you need to be patient and take advantage of openings instead of doing what I normally do in KH and whale on everything all the time.
I blitzed through the Beauty and the Beast world to get cure, which obviously made life easier, but I only got through it because of Mickey showing up every time I died to a boss, which was a lot. Mulan's level was easy afterwards, so I guess the advice there is take the combat level in each world seriously because you will get crushed if you try to fight a mob of heartless that are too high of a level.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

If you really been out on Terra, give three other two a try. Having played BBS a couple of times, it's hard to adjust to Terra after the other two and their improved mobility. That said I think Terra's final boss might be my favorite of the three?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

If it helps, the best grinding combo I found was Magnega->Thundaga. It's my go to command combo in any game where it's available when I want to kill things quickly and without a lot of thought. It's available for every character in BBS, so maybe that'll help you with leveling Terra up as painlessly as possible. Make a couple, throw in a cure, go to town.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

He also mostly follows the plan in COM, it does go off the rails because Axel is actively undermining it, but a big chunk off that is him pointing Sora in a direction and letting him wreak havoc.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

What's the best starting weapon in KH2?
You mean, the sword/shield/staff? It depends on how you play. I looked up the options when I last started the game, you learn abilities at different rates. I don't remember which one I picked but I think I prioritized Last Stand/Once More over everything else, which means the shield is your best pick. I usually pick the staff because I like magic in these games a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Re:Coded had some neat gameplay ideas, but the inside-the-code areas all looked the same and that got old real quick, and the majority of the gameplay is in those areas. They do some gimmicks to switch things up a bit with different bosses but I was sick to the teeth of the debug areas by the halfway mark.