Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I can't decide if I should lock myself away and binge the game or try to take my time with it. God only knows when we'll ever see another one.

1stGear posted:

I'm going to be picking up the PS4 collection today. Should I play through the games in release order or in chronological order?

VVV Thanks, though now I see this was answered in the OP. :downs:

If you find yourself hating life when you get to Re:Chain of Memories I'd highly recommend just watching the cut scenes on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBcjnBXiszA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Gologle posted:

Alright listen, I can't guarantee it for sure because I, like 95% of everybody else, have to wait until the 29th to play the game myself, but from actively searching out spoilers and leaks I can say with confidence that nobody who isn't a speedrunner will care about the differences in combat between KH2 and KH3. I can't say 100% that it will be just as good, but it will be fine.

I had a blast with the combat in 0.2. If 3 is just more of that I have no problem with it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

EDIT: Is Proud Mode on KH2FM fun? Or should I stick to Standard for my sanity?
I imagine proud would make a lot of the optional content a pain but if you're only interested in the playing the main story path then standard is a little too much of a cakewalk especially if you're coming off of standard mode in KH1.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Kheldarn posted:

She's also the worst of the three to play as.
Only for the first hour when she has the durability of wet paper. After that she’s the best.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

SonicRulez posted:

I wanted to make sure I did the event in the mobile game to grab a DLC code. I am awful at G&W games. Some like the giant are simple. I could've sat there and got to level 100. The hammer one is neat too. The egg game though? Sheesh.

That one is painful. The amount of poo poo you have to keep track of would be bad enough alone but it's the touch controls that really gently caress you. The rest of the games work well enough with the controls and are decently fun for what they are.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Billzasilver posted:

They called the 13th Kingdom Hearts game Kingdom Hearts 3

If you count the remakes this checks out:

1) Kingdom Hearts 1
2) Chain of Memories
3) Kingdom Hearts 2
4) Re:Chain of Memories
5) Coded
6) 358/2 Days
7) Birth By Sleep
8) Re:Coded
9) Dream Drop Distance
10) χ
11) Union Cross
12) A Fragmentary Passage
13) Kingdom Hearts 3

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Pug Rodeo posted:

Didn’t it go X > Unchained X > Union X[Cross] though?

Edit: Wikipedia considers KH3 number 12, so they appear to be considering the mobile game just one collective game.

Unchained was renamed to Union Cross, but X was a Japan only browser game. Union Cross uses much of the story and assets from X, but there are divergences. Your character in Union Cross is basically in a dream state reliving memories of X. The gameplay mechanics are also different.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

if you count the remakes you have to count final mixes too

Those are merely enhancements.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Argue posted:

Anyone know if the Japanese release has a full English option? I live in the Philippines and some local stores import from whichever region gets an English version first.

I don’t think so. Since they go to the trouble of changing the lip flaps to match the language they can’t easily include multiple voice tracks.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rirse posted:

So I beat Terra chapter in BBS. Do I just start a new game to pick Ventus or Aqua?

Yes but don’t overwrite your Terra save file.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Pug Rodeo posted:

I want to say mine are separate. And that’s not the new bundle. That’s the two separate releases for both consoles. I may be wrong though and don’t have access to my console right now. When I get a chance I’ll come back and edit this with my confirmation.

You’re right, they are separate. Also the PS4 versions don’t give out any trophies for watching the movies like the PS3 versions did.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

My Kingdom Hearts trophy collection is pretty sad. The best I’ve got is 53% on re:CoM which is surprising because I hated that game and did my best to blow through it quickly.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I bought the all the games at once pre-order bundle. Am I already preloaded? How can I tell?

If you’re on PS4 the game would show up on your dashboard with a countdown timer. No idea about Xbox.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rirse posted:

I reached the World That Never Was in DDD. How much more do I have left in the game? I am hoping to finish it off before 3 is out tomorrow. I would like to do the Aqua story on the disc, but probably can skip it since it mostly a tech demo for KH3.

That should be end game IIRC. Things get kind of cut scene heavy but you should be able to knock it out tonight. Then the Aqua story is probably 2, maybe 2.5 hours of content. At least look up the cut scenes on Youtube as the post credits scene leads directly into 3.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The REAL Goobusters posted:

So what's everyone's consensus on this game? I saw that the internet at large (youtube, twitter, reddit) had a bit of a backlash against the game last week. Im like 8-9 hours in and enjoying my time with it (while ignoring things that annoy me like the Gummi ship, some bad level design). The dialogue being stilted is a weird thing for me because THAT LITERALLY is Kingdom Hearts. Idk its a bit conflicting. Are people just disappointed its essentially a super high res PS2 era type of game? Or did they just hate the story.

I've been avoiding all discussion on it until now since I just finished it and the post-game stuff but I'm surprised to hear about the backlash. It checked all of the boxes for what I wanted out of a true numbered sequel, and gameplay-wise it improved on some things that were always weak in the previous entries. Levels are finally big and satisfying to explore, and they do a good job of having you do a variety of things so you don't get bored in the larger levels. Most of the mini games are actually fun instead of an obnoxious chore so that's a plus. The story hit all the plot points it needed to although I would have liked the extended cast to get more scenes.

Was there stuff that could be improved? Absolutely. The Frozen world would have benefited from a bit of location variety. The Hundred Acre Woods felt like a complete afterthought compared to all of the other games and could have used a bit more development time to justify its existence. The Big Hero 6 world was also disappointing and could have done much more with the open world design they were going for. As for the story itself, I wish they hadn't back loaded it so much. I was expecting an epic act break at the midway point that never came along, so the story is really just waiting for Sora to come back from vacation for most of the game.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I kept telling myself I should eat ahead of boss battles, but seeing as how I had never played the game before I didn’t know when exactly those were. In the end I only ate during end game. According to the stats at the end the meal I ate the most was cold tomato soup which apparently I ate twice.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Just got the platinum on this. It's my first plat of a KH game, but admittedly it is probably the easiest of all of them. The Synthesist trophy was the worst since it's just pure grinding just to make poo poo you're not going to use. Also annoying were Master Chef (mainly for the odd timings required on the second page and the need to farm rare ingredients), Ultima Weapon (specifically the Frozen slider part), and Centurion. Other than that there wasn't anything too challenging.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Empress Brosephine posted:

How long is the last world in this?
Around 4-5 hours including cut scenes.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Raxivace posted:

The only thing I would change about Frozen Slider is making the Orichalcum+ an A Rank reward instead of being for the "lol find the 10 treasures" nonsense.

Yeah, finding the treasures is idiotic. You pretty much have to use a guide if you value your time at all, but even then it’s annoying because everything pretty much looks the same. Plus if you found any on your own the game doesn’t tell you which ones you’ve already got.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

So I'm thinking of finally trying out Union Cross as it's the only KH game I still haven't played. Story aside, how is it as an actual game?

It had some depth for the first year it was in operation but then power creep took hold and now it’s just a matter whether you have powerful enough medals to complete the objectives or not. Since the story mode has never been rebalanced to account for this you can pretty much fly straight through it using whatever your first pull was on any of the current banners. If you like watching numbers go up to insane levels it is good for that at least.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 6, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

I heard there was a medal that essentially breaks the game as far as difficulty goes. What is it and how do you get it?

Also as far as I've heard the game doesn't actually have an ending yet but how far does the story go at this point?

Every 5 months or so they put out a new Kairi or Xion medal that breaks the game. The UX battle system relies on you getting a lot of strength buffs on your character and a lot of debuffs on your enemies. Originally medals might offer one or two tiers of buffs and you would want to have several buffing medals to max out. The Kairi/Xion medals basically just max your buffs immediately so all you need to worry about for the rest of your deck is slotting the hardest hitting medals. They also heal most of your SP gauge which completely invalidated one of the game’s original mechanics. As for how you get it, it’s usually available in a banner for a limited time but they tend to bring it back every month or so.

As far as story mode goes there are currently 845 stages, but you can skip any that don’t have cut scenes.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

Yup, that's the one I was thinking of. So the game is easier to break than BBS or DDD, good to know.

How does obtaining medals work in this game? Is what you get just a random draw?

Typically yes. Certain banners will have a limited pool of medals that you are guaranteed to get at least one of, such as the Final Fantasy banner they have up right now. The best medals tend to have a low draw chance, but sometimes they have what the player base refers to as a mercy pull which guarantees a certain medal if you pull on a banner X number of times. They do occasionally offer event medals that can be obtained from quests but these are usually worse than what you could pull on a banner.

Story quests with cutscenes do have an indicator.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, any idea when we're getting more story content for the game/how close it is to actually being finished? I know the Japanese version is a little bit ahead of us at least.

Japan is in the middle of a big story update that the global version is just now starting. They do seem to be making an effort to catch us up so we might not be lagging for too much longer. As for when it will end we don’t really know. After the current main plot bit raps up we’re supposed to get a new Disney world that hasn’t been done in a previous game before. Speculation is that will be Wreck-It Ralph but there’s been no confirmation.

If you start the game, be aware that next month is the anniversary of the global edition which usually means we’ll get banners that are better than normal. Might be worth starting to hoard jewels rather than blow them on the current banners.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

TheLoneStar posted:

I'm curious, why do people think it will be Wreck-It Ralph? Because he was in III?

Yeah, I believe Nomura said a character from that world would have a cameo in KH3.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

DizzyBum posted:

So, The Simpsons are now technically a Disney product, which means get hype for Kingdom Hearts 4.

Well now I’m going to be disappointed if this doesn’t happen.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

bobjr posted:

It took me about a dozen runs to even kinda map out how the Frozen sled mini game map was set up.

If the collectable stood out more I think I would have been more okay with it

Even using a guide from YouTube that was still a huge pain in the rear end.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The voice acting in KH3 is a crime against art, good taste, etc

It is really loving bad. It’s actually incredible just how bad at it is.

It's the direction that's poo poo-tier. The series has plenty of good actors who just don't know what the gently caress is going on. There are so many situations in the series where the voice acting could have been improved tremendously if the actors at least knew the other side of the conversation their character was having.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

kh1's voice work is way, way better than any other in the series

it's also the only one bob buchholtz wasn't involved in directing

KH1 has it's fair share of bad line readings as well. I always cringe at Goofy's "I'm not gonna betray Sora either!" where he puts the emphasis on betray instead of Sora which makes no loving sense.

I don't know how much blame Bucholtz can be given either. I've seen him credited on anime that sounded fine and his recent KH credits have been along the lines of "additional voice directing" or some such. The way Ben Diskin described the recording process involved someone Skyping from Japan directing through a translator.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

It appears to be a new mobile game but I guess it’s also possible that they’re just renaming KHUX again.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

I think I heard something about bonuses you can get if you’ve played UX, anybody know how to access those though?

The notices about those are on the KHUX side. They'll be distributed to the Dark Road present box after June 30.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

It seems you can swap your party member at any time via the home screen. For those that have played it, which of the 4 is probably the best in your opinion?

I've been using Bragi who cures and buffs defense, although even with that and Minnie I can't get more than 8 enemies in on rank 2 Agrabah.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

You could always just switch back to rank 1 and make things easier (unless higher rank gets you more BP or something).

Yeah, I switched back for the sake of auto-battling my way through the objectives but you do get more BP for taking on higher ranks. Leveling up eventually takes a poo poo ton of BP so rank 1 barely makes a dent for me now.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I’ve managed to grind up to level 20 and I still can’t consistently auto-battle 2* Agrabah. I haven’t bothered to pull more than once on the jewel banner though. I have draw tickets but I imagine there will be something beyond the basic banner by next Friday.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Is this new? I don't recognize this scene from KHUX.

The Japanese version is always five months ahead of us.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

I’m about to start the last UX update, are there any particular gimmicks to the final battle I should watch out for or did they actually give us a fair fight?

No gimmicks. A decent speed setup should be all you need.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

I’m mostly using a power deck with a few speed and magic medals for good measure, will that be enough? Also, they can’t pierce your defense boost can they?

Power would be a disadvantage but I'm sure you can turtle it. If you have no defensive buffs they can pierce a defense boost VIII but with two procs of SN+ Flood you can withstand their attacks. I'll share mine.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

Thanks, can said piercing oneshot you or does it just do a lot of damage (because if it’s the latter I have Namine to negate that at the start of my turn)? Plus I’ve saved up a lot of jewels as extra insurance just in case.

Yeah, it’s a one-shot if you have not buffed your defense and lowered their strength. With db8 they hit for about 900,000.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

So far, they can’t kill me but only a few of my medals seem to actually deal damage to them, are there any good ones you’d recommend sticking in my deck?

Also do you have to drain their entire massive amount of HP or does the fight end on its own after a certain amount of time? Finally, does it matter what Keyblade I bring to this fight or is one better suited to this particular situation than another?

You do need to completely drain their HP. You want to make sure you're maximizing your buffs and debuffs but pretty much any medal released recently will do that. Beyond that, strength increases help a lot. Your first few medals probably aren't going to be doing much no matter what so make sure you're using those slots to increase attack for the last couple of medals. Get those strength boosting supernovas in as well. If you're relying on power medals as your heavy hitters then use whatever keyblade is going to give those the best multipliers. Probably Fenrir, Darkgnaw or Treasure Trove depending on your medals and what you've sunk gems into.

Make sure you’ve got the right traits on your last couple of medals as well. Ground defense down, extra attack, and strength increases for the rest. It’s worth grabbing the better variants that cost 100 jewels in the moogle shop. Extra attack should also be on everything that’s increasing strength.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 9, 2021

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

Also is there any point in tackling Proud Mode (like a different ending or something) or is it just an extra challenge?
It's just an extra challenge version of story mode with better rewards. The best keyblades were obtained from there but at this point there's not really any reason to bother with it unless you want extra jewels to do Dark Road pulls or something.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

So just checking, is there going to be another Raid Event or does the current one basically serve as a countdown until the game swaps over to the offline version.

For that matter, why exactly are they stripping out the gameplay for UX in that version but not for Dark Road?

On another note, is the KH3 manga still going (the source I originally found it on hasn’t been updated since December of last year)? If so, anybody know a good place I can read and/or buy it from?

The current raid event is the final one. I don't know exactly why they're doing an offline Dark Road but I imagine it's much less complicated to retrofit into an offline game than KHUX would be. There's not really anything to do apart from story mode and auto grinding, and there's already a way to purchase whatever cards you want outside of gacha pulls. I imagine they'll just make a way for players to grind for shop points or let you buy stuff with BP. UX is way more dependent on gacha pulls, material farming, and event rewards so it would probably take a ton of work to balance all of that in a way that would work offline.