Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

SUBMIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Wasn't there a line in the first KH game where the Disney villains comment on the Keyblade.

Something along the lines of:

"That's the power of the keyblade. The Child's Strength is not his own." or something like that.

Sora obviously uses the power of God and Anime to cut buildings because it'll look cool and will help sell more Pop Viynl Dolls.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Tired: Put Sora in Smash
Wired: Put Riku/Aqua/Terra/Ven/Kairi/Mickey/Donald/Goofy in Smash
Inspired: Put Pete in Smash Bros.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

bobjr posted:

For the censoring they do later on with guns in KH it’s kinda surprising they let Clayton just use a regular shotgun

This was one of my favorite parts of the first KH. You've got all these other typical JRPG tropes like swords, shields and magic being used, and then when you get to the second world, the villain there can just shoot you with his gun.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

One of the best things in KH is that in all the worlds where talking animals don't exist, when Donald and Goofy show up, no one bats an eye.

Especially in the Pirates world. You think at least one person would be like:

"That duck is talking and wearing a stupid hat!"

"Yup, that's Donald. Everything you know is a a lie, a-hyuck!"

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

sout posted:

Is there a German word for the startling realisation that Kingdom Hearts doesn't make any sense.

Xadenfreude

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

TheLoneStar posted:

My favorite bit of just ignoring how out of place Sora, Donald, and Goofy are is in The Land of Dragons where Shang allows a talking duck and dog along with a very clearly non-Chinese anime Tropical Islander in the strictly Chinese army.

I like how the game can't fully decide what kind of technology-savvy Sora has. Like, when we see his room it looks like a fairly bog-standard early-2000's tween room, and he's savvy enough to pilot a space ship, but has no idea how a computer works or what data is.

Though, legit one of the most charming and best scenes in all of KH is in KH2 when first introduced to a super-computer, Sora's first instinct is to just mash on the keyboard while screaming "BRING ME RIKU AND KAIRI!"

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Rirse posted:

But human chinese girl, nope.

There's nothing in the rule book that says a dog can't play basketball go to war so long as he's male

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

TheLoneStar posted:

There was actual ship teasing for this in the manga.

There’s no end to the depths of weird this series is willing to go

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Rirse posted:

Forgot how awful the final boss was in Kingdom Hearts 1. I don't mean the big ship which isn't that hard outside of the spam lasers. I mean the solo fight against Billy Zane where you can't ever get touched by his [STAND] or it pretty much death and back to fighting that utterly pointless waste of time Darkside refight.

So glad to be moving on to 2.

SUBMIT

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

I can't believe Donald is loving dead.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Standing in the middle of a volcano, Sora sees Mike Wazowski furiously punching a boulder.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Meeeester Lightyear, still alive I see

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

All of the characters grew up in an orphanage and Malificent was their matron.

I still tear up during the scene where Goofy can't bring himself to shoot her with the sniper rifle.

Sora can't remember any of this because he allowed Chicken Little inside his head and in doing so tore out a piece of his memory.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Piglet's Stand [ W A R P I G S ] has no weaknesses!

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Looking forward to the series wrapping up as KH3 is supposedly the 'last' in this current saga.

Which of course means a few years down the line we'll get a reboot except this time instead of Disney Characters and Final Fantasy it's a mixture of the Looney Tunes and Dragon Quest.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Understanding the plot of KH games is irrelevant for enjoyment of them.

When you're playing the game, you'll eventually figure out who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. The bad guys you hit with your magic key.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Nomura you gently caress, let Donald and Goofy both be in the photo. I know you’re in love with all your anime tweens but Donald And Goofy are 2/3rds the reason I’m here. Actually the Disney characters sitting aside for the anime is a good metaphor for where the series currently is

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Kingdom Hearts III: The Second Most Annoying Donald on Twitter

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I had a blast in the Toy Store from start to finish.

Still, not giving us Sid's house or Pizza Planet is unforgivable.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Macaluso posted:

I refuse to believe anyone enjoyed this section with the blocks

edit: Is this like, a JRPG problem? Persona 5 had an issue like this to where they'd have a mechanic in a dungeon and then drag on the mechanic for WAYYYY too long (I'm looking at you, rat hallways). I'm feeling this way about the block moving in this room, even though it doesn't last nearly that long

edit: Okay the end of the block thing is pretty funny but even still *taps watch*

edit: Woody and Buzz doing their Toy Story thing in this final fantasy rear end realm of darkness and Woody stomping his foot down and dispelling the darkness around him is :discourse:

I liked fighting the robots with my Robots. Plus where you went into the playroom, it reminded of the cheap play places my mother would take me as a kid for my birthday. And what is KH if not a dive into nostalgia (and anime) filled waters?

Plus, like you said, the payoff for it was really cute.

I dunno, maybe I'm just easy to please.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

billy zane why did you leave us

Zane saw the flood of anime that the series was becoming and got out while he still could.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

man no final fantasy huh

Cloud and Auron get a shoutout during the Olympus intro I suppose.

I do miss seeing the FF guys, but it's nice to see the series not rely on them so much anymore.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

I have to say, it's nice to see Disney characters take more actual agency when some Org anime shows up and starts mucking with things.

It makes them feel slightly less unimportant to the grand scheme of things and that they weren't just an afterthought.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

I've been watching videos of the KH games I've missed in order to be fully caught up playing this game, and hoo-boy.

Kingdom Hearts' plot is like the QAnon of video games: it's all just being made up as it goes along, the creators of it think they're some kind of mad genius, and it's full of all kinds of crazy shape-shifting monsters, secret wars and crazy weaponry.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Minor Pirates world spoilers I really enjoyed that Sora got so upset at Will Turner dying he just LOST HIS poo poo and starts punching Davy Jones in the face. Also Sora's pirate outfit is the most normal clothes he's ever worn.

Augus posted:

I still haven’t forgiven Nomura for what he did to Setzer

Bring back Vivi, Nomura you coward.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

I guess I'm in the minority in that I liked Arendelle, but mostly because I'm a fan of Ice Worlds in general in games. I grew up in an area where after it would the woods would look like Arendelle, so I guess it makes me feel at home.

I agree the plot feels shoehorned in, but I feel like that was the case for a lot of Disney games. I wish it was like KH2 where you revisited the worlds, maybe you'd get to do something unique.

That being said, I do have issues with it. Hans basically shows up so he can die and turn into a cool boss fight, and you have to put Olaf back together instead of killing him instantly with fire magic.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Ok but really WHY does Donald have a zipper on his hat.

It's where he keeps all the bottle rockets for when you cast Flare

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Late game spoilers watching Donald cast the Forbidden Magic to nuke Terranort out of existence is everything I could have asked for I love this dumb series

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

I love that Donald and goofy can go to toe to toe against someone that nearly nuked the entire time at once, they’ve really grown as characters.

Donald, at least, has grown. Goofy’s always been this powerful, he went ultra instinct against dark riku in KH1 but Donald’s a cool dude now

Donald casting THE FORBIDDEN MAGIC and nuking Terranort was legit the best cutscene in the game. Well that, and Sully tossing Vanitas out the door

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Donald is powered by his rage from all the ‘no heal lol’ memes

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Kingdom Hearts 4 World List:

New Worlds:
Moana
Zootopia
Coco
Wreck It Ralph Arcade
Wall-E
Finding Nemo

Returning Worlds:
Toy Story
Timeless River
Big Hero 6

Trust me guys, my uncle is Nomura

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Cars world would be a racing-specific world and it would be known as "Kingdom Karts"

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Gologle posted:

How much of Nier would they have to tone down to get it into the game?

Put Grimiore, Emil, and Kainé in the game and allow her to curse as much as the developers see fit. Daddy Nier too.

The sexy robot from the sequel I can take or leave.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

I had a ton of fun with the games combat, but then again I’m one of those guys who ‘mash x and occasionally triangle’ is enough to keep my dumb anime brain satisfied

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

If they’re going to Wreck it Ralph world They should all have outfits that mimic classic game characters.

So Sora would be dressed in a Green Tunic like Link, Donald would have overalls and a hat with the letter D on it, and Goofy would have a red headband and White Gi on.

Or if we’re doing classicism SE only Sora is dressed like a Red Mage, Goofy a Night, And Donald as a black mage

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

I managed to get the Ultima Weapon purely by luck. I was fully ready to soft reset with all the post cards I got and then the game gave it to me first go.

The quest for getting all 7 though did lead me to realize I should have spent much more time on the gummi ship. I completely ignored it and did no upgrades to the base ship. Then, when I was hunting for constellations and fighting bosses I realized I was missing out on one of the best parts of the game.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Augus posted:

Cloud and Sephiroth have barely any resemblance to their characters in FF7

This isn't really endemic of just KH though. Everything post FF7 seems to have entirely forgot what made Cloud cool and interesting.

In FF7 Cloud was cocky, brash, a bit dorky, and tried to hard to be cool. He wasn't incredibly deep, but he had some personality too him.

Everything post that he became just another to-cool-for-school anime who spends all his time against the wall with his eyes closed thinking about how sad he is.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Madter Chef or whatever it’s called is the best because there’s nothing like defeating the Ultimate evil with a comedy sized frying pan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

I had a blast with this game and all the ridiculous anime melodrama is all just part of the charm.

I totally get why people might not enjoy it, but I had a big dumb grin on my face from start to finish.