Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Do I have to post a list, or am I good as long as I watch classics? I’m bad at planning.

I’m planning to watch The Birds tonight, since I watched The Exorcist during the October challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Here’s a list of movies I haven’t seen that have been recommended by the horror thread, at some point. But I’m hoping to supplement those with your recommendations, of course.

graventy fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 2, 2019

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't think there was a bait-and-switch, unfortunately, but here's the trailer and it's pretty great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjaVdJt59U

It's basically just Hitch telling everyone why we deserve a good bird attack.

Edit: I'm going to save my writeup for tomorrow, to not spoil anything for anyone watching it tonight.

graventy fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 2, 2019

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I really liked The Birds!

I thought it did a great job of establishing the film as a pretty weird offbeat romantic comedy thing. Oh, to be an idle rich person, with enough time and resources to just take a weekend and follow someone home to pursue. Their banter was all weird, flirtatious lies, and then we find out he's gay but very slowly populating a town with unrequited lovers. At the same time there is a constant growing menace of birds in true horror movie style.

I didn't find the movie particularly scary, but the attic scene was intense and I sure as hell don't want that rear end in a top hat throwing birds at me all day. As the heroine, I didn't expect Melanie to be broken so completely. The playground scene is wonderful, with just one crow turning into a full murder at the next glance, and the ending is just completely creepy and menacing.

Honestly a large group of anything sitting quietly and staring at you is unnerving.

Now someone watch The Bird's 2: Lands End and tell us how awful it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C0AdYOLpUA

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I haven't seen Audition in probably almost 20 years so I think I'm due for a rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
There's just no way I'm going to be able to keep up this month, but for my second film I picked the longtime thread title Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key. It's the least giallo giallo I have seen, in that it had a discernible plot that you could follow!

Failed writer and remarkably successful lover Oliviero lives with his wife Irina in a large old mansion. Oliviero's lovers begin to be killed, and as the prime suspect he begins to lose his mind.

It's a tawdry film, and on an arbitrary made up scale I'm giving it a 4 for nudity, and a 2 for violence. Too much domestic violence, not enough slasher violence. It also has the least lesbian lesbian sex scene I think I have ever seen, with two women who seem very obviously zeroes on the Kinsey scale (solidly straight) vaguely laying on top of each other for a while. Plus incest! Fun for the whole family.

I enjoyed it! I like horror movies that you can follow, and I like Poe's stories, which this heavily references/homages/rips off.