Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Richard Pill is running for office in 2020 and wants your vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
when the cybereye data collection determines that you crank it 3x a day, will the algorithm stop sending ads for dick pills? or will it step it up so you can get up to 4x or 5x?

e: asking 4 a friend

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

prisoner of waffles posted:

when the cybereye data collection determines that you crank it 3x a day, will the algorithm stop sending ads for dick pills? or will it step it up so you can get up to 4x or 5x?

it'll unlock a badge and post it on your facebook to boost engagement

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
cranking it til its raw for those sweet 'cheevos

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
goiong to install kali and make a shadowrun on the dumpsters behind starbucks later i hear they throw out sandwiches that are still good

cyberpunk 2019

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
kali? 1v1 me in warcraft 2 on katan's lair tonight

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Are there any AI programs for platonic companionship and validation? :smith:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

SpaceAceJase posted:

Are there any AI programs for platonic companionship and validation? :smith:
there are! https://www.masswerk.at/eliza/

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

MindSet posted:

cranking it til its raw for those sweet cheetos

fixed for cross-marketing

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
https://youtu.be/AxbZq8Zmd88

cyberpunk documentary (1990)

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

one hour pro click

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

prisoner of waffles posted:

Seeing I just got an add for the coffee grinder I just bought, time to engage with Bob Dole's perfect teeth some more.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Kilometres Davis posted:

one hour pro click

Goddamn we were gullible fuckers back then. The Michael Synergy part starting at 11:00 is just laughable now.

EDIT:

Oh holy poo poo! At 26:40, they talk about Mind Machines. MIND MACHINES!

I *begged* my parents for money to get a mind machine back in 1993. I saw the ad in Mondo 2000, which made it sound like it they had invented the thing from Gibson novels allowing you to upload information directly into your brain. Turns out they were just cheap welding goggles with little incandescent bulbs in them (not even leds). drat.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 3, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
by those standards we're still gullible fuckers. to illustrate, wait for the CES coverage this year.

also every product and company that claims to use "AI"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno is AMD presenting

If those leaks are true we can look forward to Intel rebranding Platinum Xeons as desktop chips in an attempt to complete

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Fabricated posted:

I dunno is AMD presenting

If those leaks are true we can look forward to Intel rebranding Platinum Xeons as desktop chips in an attempt to complete

and still charging four figures for 'em

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/vectorpoem/status/1072237075821457409

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

LanceHunter posted:

Goddamn we were gullible fuckers back then. The Michael Synergy part starting at 11:00 is just laughable now.

EDIT:

Oh holy poo poo! At 26:40, they talk about Mind Machines. MIND MACHINES!

I *begged* my parents for money to get a mind machine back in 1993. I saw the ad in Mondo 2000, which made it sound like it they had invented the thing from Gibson novels allowing you to upload information directly into your brain. Turns out they were just cheap welding goggles with little incandescent bulbs in them (not even leds). drat.

Gibson and Leary get a lot right about communications, smart drugs, and consumerism and all of the 'scene' people interviewed have hilariously bad futurist predictions. Also lol at the 3d animation segment.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

drat that's fuckin badass. I'm glad we'e putting neural networks to good use finally

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
https://youtu.be/aZY-yQYVf38

speaking of 20 minutes into the future, heres the original movie on which the series was based

Some primo 80s cyberpunk
code:
 a e s t h e t i c 
in there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

communism bitch posted:

drat that's fuckin badass. I'm glad we'e putting neural networks to good use finally

it's a neural network product in the same way all those "ai generated screenplay" things are ai generated. i.e. with a heavy dose of curation and manual editing

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Slippery posted:

https://youtu.be/aZY-yQYVf38

speaking of 20 minutes into the future, heres the original movie on which the series was based

Some primo 80s cyberpunk
code:
 a e s t h e t i c 
in there

max headroom max headowns

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

more biopunk than cyberpunk but it fits our theme: science fixes god's blunder, makes photosynthesis that actually works. tyrell corp, here we come.

bonus, they tested it on tobacco

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

if I'm recalling my genetics correctly, tobacco is kind of the fruit fly of plants

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

SO DEMANDING posted:

max headroom max headowns

I know i used to watch it every week

my dad was like wtf is this, lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MindSet posted:

if I'm recalling my genetics correctly, tobacco is kind of the fruit fly of plants

back in the 80s they hacked in luciferin and made some tobacco glow like a lightning bug so yeah, tobacco is easy mode but even the simplest biological system beats the poo poo out of most anything we build in complexity.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MindSet posted:

i suspect part of it is that tobacco produces huge numbers of seeds per plant

they're so small they look like dust

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

Midjack posted:

back in the 80s they hacked in luciferin and made some tobacco glow like a lightning bug so yeah, tobacco is easy mode but even the simplest biological system beats the poo poo out of most anything we build in complexity.

totally, I was just suggesting why they did it with tobacco first

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

MindSet posted:

totally, I was just suggesting why they did it with tobacco first

questions:
1. can we do something similar with blue-green algae
2. could that please be sufficient to fix lots of carbon, I would like my children (or putative future grandchildren) to not live in the Climate Wars era

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you know what never has adverse effects? massive out of control algae blooms.

the upside is, after they kill all ocean life and super oxegenate the atmosphere there will be no climate wars because the entire atmosphere will have conflagrated off and the planet will be a crispy vaccuum packed cinder

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
nah first they eat too much CO2 and trigger another ice age

someone start working on the perpetual motion train

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Midjack posted:

even the simplest biological system beats the poo poo out of most anything we build in complexity.

i've started to feel like all research into nanotech is a dead end. why are we trying to build tiny metal robots with laser guns to chew up cancer cells when we already have tiny protein robots (self-replicating ones, too!) with lysozymes and all we need to figure out is how to drive them around?

a bacterium's flagellum is literally an electrostatic ion-driven rotary motor that can spin at 15,000 rpm and grows from nothing and here we are trying to make tiny magnets and wires. jfc

if you are interested in these ideas please read paul di fillipo's ribofunk, which depicts a world where biotechnology has essentially replaced and gone beyond electronics, and which eerily presages the election of donald trump

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

i've started to feel like all research into nanotech is a dead end. why are we trying to build tiny metal robots with laser guns to chew up cancer cells when we already have tiny protein robots (self-replicating ones, too!) with lysozymes and all we need to figure out is how to drive them around?

a bacterium's flagellum is literally an electrostatic ion-driven rotary motor that can spin at 15,000 rpm and grows from nothing and here we are trying to make tiny magnets and wires. jfc

if you are interested in these ideas please read paul di fillipo's ribofunk, which depicts a world where biotechnology has essentially replaced and gone beyond electronics, and which eerily presages the election of donald trump

ribofunk owns, my copy never came back after i loaned it out in 2003.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

how is the writing? any other authors you could compare it to?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sagebrush posted:

how are these examples not nano-tech?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

what do you think nanotech is?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nanotech is tiny metal robots with laser guns. please learn to read

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, i saw innerspace

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
tobacco is basically the zebra fish or fruit fly of plants. I always kinda of assumed it was because big tobacco funding. I guess I should just google it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

infernal machines posted:

yeah, i saw innerspace