Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Master Stur posted:

gdamn going from week 16/17 nfl playoff implications and bowl season to just nothing right after new years blows. at least theres hockey

Hockey and Basketball are good.

Did you know Japan has a hosed up multi-tier 42 team basketball league who dont know how to goddamn run out the clock properly you loving idiot force the foul? Because I do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
forcing the foul is not bushido

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Barudak posted:

Hockey and Basketball are good.

Did you know Japan has a hosed up multi-tier 42 team basketball league who dont know how to goddamn run out the clock properly you loving idiot force the foul? Because I do!

Hockey is good but im not sold on basketball yet. Ill prolly watch the playoffs again though and see if it sticks this time

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not-Clemson has begun just dismantling the other team, just did an open field two man combo attack tackle on the other teams RB.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hoops are epic. i'm probably gonna catch as much of the suns as i can stomach and then the lakers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jesus this game is just brisk as hell. It might genuinely wrap up in 2 hours or less.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

hoops are epic. i'm probably gonna catch as much of the suns as i can stomach and then the lakers

So... a quarter of a game?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Barudak posted:

Jesus this game is just brisk as hell. It might genuinely wrap up in 2 hours or less.
Are there constant media timeouts and replay reviews and other bullshit that slows the US game to a crawl?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Are there constant media timeouts and replay reviews and other bullshit that slows the US game to a crawl?

Nope. Also what feels like a pretty high amount of run plays and the game just keeps moving. Its really quite nice even if the skill on field obviously does not have their nose in the playbook with like 1/2 of all plays being compleye collapses by the offense

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok, so I just watched a play where the offense got stuffed 3 separate ways by the defense immediately followed by a play where the defense looked like if AI glitches out and just T-poses on the field while the offense struggled to make the pass for the free touchdown.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Id like basketball more if it was more dunks & rebounds and less about 3pt shots but maybe its just a playoffs problem. I could also be underexposed

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Barudak posted:

Ok, so I just watched a play where the offense got stuffed 3 separate ways by the defense immediately followed by a play where the defense looked like if AI glitches out and just T-poses on the field while the offense struggled to make the pass for the free touchdown.
Stop doxxing my high school from the other side of the globe

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Master Stur posted:

Id like basketball more if it was more dunks & rebounds and less about 3pt shots but maybe its just a playoffs problem. I could also be underexposed

the playoffs usually have more defense because teams have time to sit down and analyze their opponent instead of having a generic defense for everyone with some wrinkles per team thrown in.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Leper, iirc you've posted about dealing w/ feral/nonhomed cats before. We have a regular visitor we feed who tonight showed up gimpy, not wanting to put any weight on the front right paw. What are our options, if any, to try and get him some help? Mainly with luring him into something that we can then take to a vet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dear Not-Clemson, you dont get to call yourself "Golden Panthers" if your teams logo and colors are literally clemsons

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JPrime posted:

Leper, iirc you've posted about dealing w/ feral/nonhomed cats before. We have a regular visitor we feed who tonight showed up gimpy, not wanting to put any weight on the front right paw. What are our options, if any, to try and get him some help? Mainly with luring him into something that we can then take to a vet.

If you have a cat carrier, you can do the string trick. We caught a feral kitten this way. Put the carrier out where the cat is with some food inside, and a string leading back to your door arranged so that you can pull the string taut and hold the door closed for a few seconds... long enough to run out and properly latch the door. Also have a big towel or a small blanket ready and drape that over the carrier immediately, which will help keep the cat from freaking out and injuring itself trying to escape. Once you've done that, move slowly, speak softly, and don't panic when the cat panics because the cat will likely panic and you staying calm will help.

If you don't have a cat carrier, most rescue agencies have traps you can borrow. I would not recommend trying to directly handle a feral cat unless it is so injured and weak that it can't resist. You're likely to both get hurt, and to wind up losing the cat, which will flee and not come back for days if ever.

The best cat bait is canned tuna, it is absolute crack to all cats. If you don't have that, dry cat food will make less of a mess when the cat goes bonkers (a feral cat will go bonkers when you trap it most likely.

I do recommend working with a cat rescue agency. They can likely set you up with whatever animal hospital can handle ferals, and may pay for it too, or subsidize it. Be ready to be begged to foster the cat if it's at all fosterable, or failing that, keep it in a (not freezing) garage or bathroom or something for a few days while it recovers from whatever is wrong plus probably being spayed/neutered, assuming they're intact. Your county animal shelter will take the cat, but if it's truly feral, most county shelters just destroy them. A few counties (san francisco, for example) are no-kill, but you probably aren't so lucky.

Some places have fosters on call to help out if fostering is impossible. If the cat is really feral, best outcome is a safe place to recover for a few days, and then released, with you providing food daily to help the cat survive - this is TNR, or "Trap, Neuter, Release," currently the mostly-consensus best approach to reducing the population of feral cats in a humane way. The fixed cat will hold down a territory while not reproducing, and if it's a male, will also feel much less inclined to fight which spreads disease, not to mention also not howling all night, stinking and spraying stinky piss everywhere, and otherwise being awful.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 3, 2019

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

hifi posted:

the playoffs usually have more defense because teams have time to sit down and analyze their opponent instead of having a generic defense for everyone with some wrinkles per team thrown in.

So better defense leads to more 3pt shots? If I read your post right then I guess I should follow regular season.

JPrime posted:

Not leper he might have better advice but we did successfully trap 4 feral this summer. You should buy a humane trap door cage and/or drop trap. They are about $60-100?ish on amazon. Since you've regularly fed the cat it shouldn't be hard to setup the trap and lure it in with food. You'll want to schedule something with a local rescue probably ahead of time in case they are busy and just cancel if you fail to trap. Up to two days in the trap with water/food is fine but try to time the trapping to avoid that and/or move him to a bigger cage.

If you believe it to be an emergency you'll likely just want to call a rescue to come forcibly capture the guy.

e: yeah beaten by better advice lol, i do highly rec. buying a trap if you have a lot of ferals in the area though since they arent terribly expensive and you can get ferals used to eating in them before trapping in the future

Master Stur fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 3, 2019

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Master Stur posted:

Not leper he might have better advice but we did successfully trap 4 feral this summer. You should buy a humane trap door cage and/or drop trap. They are about $60-100?ish on amazon. Since you've regularly fed the cat it shouldn't be hard to setup the trap and lure it in with food. You'll want to schedule something with a local rescue probably ahead of time in case they are busy and just cancel if you fail to trap. Up to two days in the trap with water/food is fine but try to time the trapping to avoid that and/or move him to a bigger cage.

If you believe it to be an emergency you'll likely just want to call a rescue to come forcibly capture the guy.

Yeah if the injury isn't really severe, calling a rescue place is a good option. Harbor Freight has cheaper animal traps, they're not great but they do work. If you're feeling mildly unscrupulous you can buy a trap, use it this one time, clean it reasonably and then return it to the store.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

If you have a cat carrier, you can do the string trick. We caught a feral kitten this way. Put the carrier out where the cat is with some food inside, and a string leading back to your door arranged so that you can pull the string taut and hold the door closed for a few seconds... long enough to run out and properly latch the door. Also have a big towel or a small blanket ready and drape that over the carrier immediately, which will help keep the cat from freaking out and injuring itself trying to escape. Once you've done that, move slowly, speak softly, and don't panic when the cat panics because the cat will likely panic and you staying calm will help.

If you don't have a cat carrier, most rescue agencies have traps you can borrow. I would not recommend trying to directly handle a feral cat unless it is so injured and weak that it can't resist. You're likely to both get hurt, and to wind up losing the cat, which will flee and not come back for days if ever.

The best cat bait is canned tuna, it is absolute crack to all cats. If you don't have that, dry cat food will make less of a mess when the cat goes bonkers (a feral cat will go bonkers when you trap it most likely.

I do recommend working with a cat rescue agency. They can likely set you up with whatever animal hospital can handle ferals, and may pay for it too, or subsidize it. Be ready to be begged to foster the cat if it's at all fosterable, or failing that, keep it in a (not freezing) garage or bathroom or something for a few days while it recovers from whatever is wrong plus probably being spayed/neutered, assuming they're intact. Your county animal shelter will take the cat, but if it's truly feral, most county shelters just destroy them. A few counties (san francisco, for example) are no-kill, but you probably aren't so lucky.

Some places have fosters on call to help out if fostering is impossible. If the cat is really feral, best outcome is a safe place to recover for a few days, and then released, with you providing food daily to help the cat survive - this is TNR, or "Trap, Neuter, Release," currently the mostly-consensus best approach to reducing the population of feral cats in a humane way. The fixed cat will hold down a territory while not reproducing, and if it's a male, will also feel much less inclined to fight which spreads disease, not to mention also not howling all night, stinking and spraying stinky piss everywhere, and otherwise being awful.

Yea we have carriers for our existing cat, we have one out there now but it's too big for the string trick. I'll look into traps online. Thanks!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just had Jewish tostadas for dinner and I am in loving heaven.

Latkes with chorizo in them, made in a waffle iron, then topped with refried beans, a fried egg, and then broil quickly to melt cheese on top.

I am so loving fat and happy.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Petite Dinklage posted:

Have any of you watched "Patriot" on Amazon? This show is amazing

Pretty fun and pretty awesome main actor

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JPrime posted:

Yea we have carriers for our existing cat, we have one out there now but it's too big for the string trick. I'll look into traps online. Thanks!

Too big for the string trick? Not quite sure how that's possible, or do you mean the cat is too big? You can upgrade to a rope trick maybe! We put the carrier up against our front door so my wife could pull the string, which forced the carrier back against the door, and then I went around the side of the house to approach from the other side and latch the door while she kept tension on the string.

This is the cheapest animal trap you'll likely find that actually works:
https://www.harborfreight.com/32-in-x-15-in-x-10-in-medium-animal-trap-61682.html
Put a blanket over it so the cat feels like they're going into a safe hole to get food, and doesn't instantly panic when you approach after they're trapped.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah if the injury isn't really severe, calling a rescue place is a good option. Harbor Freight has cheaper animal traps, they're not great but they do work. If you're feeling mildly unscrupulous you can buy a trap, use it this one time, clean it reasonably and then return it to the store.

We ended up buying a Havahart trap for ourselves since they are a local-ish biz and whew lad we're probably in for another busy spring kitten season since I don't think us & neighbor lady caught every feral :negative:

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Also if you dont want to splurge for any kind of tuna, we were able to consistently get 4 ferals on our porch at once with a can of friskies. That poo poo is drugs for cats i swear

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I've got two boys to trap, but it's been a couple years since I saw kittens because we've got a spayed girl that sticks around our house now.

One of the boys actually escaped our trap once, he's huge and powerful and smart and actually grabbed and pulled open the sprung closed end on his own. I kind of love him for that, but we need to borrow a really good trap from our local agency and the last three times I asked, she had already lent her best traps out so I keep not getting around to it.

Those Havaharts are like fifty bucks, are they much better than the harbor freight ones?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I've got two boys to trap, but it's been a couple years since I saw kittens because we've got a spayed girl that sticks around our house now.

One of the boys actually escaped our trap once, he's huge and powerful and smart and actually grabbed and pulled open the sprung closed end on his own. I kind of love him for that, but we need to borrow a really good trap from our local agency and the last three times I asked, she had already lent her best traps out so I keep not getting around to it.

Those Havaharts are like fifty bucks, are they much better than the harbor freight ones?

They're the exact same, just with a name brand.

Also tuna and friskies aren't that much difference in price.

Also I may set up heat boxes next to our house in winter without my wife knowing because I feel bad for stray kitties.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Leperflesh posted:

Looking at the HF one probably not. It was kind of a pain to setup and a bit flimsy, but we don't live near anything that actually sells traps so I just got whatever was on amazon. If i had to do it all over again I'd probably buy one of those traps that has "dividers" to more easily keep the cat contained while changing out food/water/pads.

iwentdoodie posted:

Also I may set up heat boxes next to our house in winter without my wife knowing because I feel bad for stray kitties.

The whole reason we ended up with a 5th cat is because this feral kitten would come sleep in the bed we laid out on the patio. There was a cold spell in September and we could see him shivering so I couldn't say no :(

Master Stur fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 3, 2019

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Master Stur posted:

So better defense leads to more 3pt shots? If I read your post right then I guess I should follow regular season.

the regular season is incredibly cool and you would probably be a lakers fan because of all the incredibly stupid poo poo that comes from lonzo/javale and the old school pace and dunk from those guys plus rondo and lebon when they get back. i hate lance but he does stupid poo poo too and beasley is cool whenever he comes back.

to give a little perspective though, everyone in the nba has discovered that 3pt shots help you win, period, and you have teams like the rockets that just give the ball to harden and let him do his stepbacks and iso ball, or the spurs and warriors (not this years warriors though lol) that pass the ball around and either have enough shooters on the court or just a well enough executed offense that they can reliably get open 3pt looks. the flip side of this is that with expanded 3 point shots and reffing on close range plays you get incredibly high conversion percentages on dunks and layups. the 76ers, thunder, pelicans, clippers, and bucks are all fun to watch play in the paint.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

iwentdoodie posted:

Also tuna and friskies aren't that much difference in price.

1: If you buy many cans of tuna then you can eat tuna after you catch all of the feral cats. You will not catch all of the feral cats.

2: Last winter we had a shelter with a heated pad and "Boyfriend" would stick around, but he hasn't been seen since March :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It may be semi-wishful thinking, but when a feral disappears, sometimes it's because someone else rescued them. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked a Nextdoor thread to find someone else in my neighborhood recommending the same cat rescue people I always recommend, to a neighbor with a couple of ferals and kittens in her yard.

The female hanging around our house was gone for over a year, while we had a different girl here. We were pleasantly surprised to see she was still alive and hanging around when she returned, which would have been about a year ago now.

More realistically... yeah, ferals have hard, shorter lives, so it's a dice roll for sure.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

hifi posted:

the regular season is incredibly cool and you would probably be a lakers fan because of all the incredibly stupid poo poo that comes from lonzo/javale and the old school pace and dunk from those guys plus rondo and lebon when they get back. i hate lance but he does stupid poo poo too and beasley is cool whenever he comes back.

to give a little perspective though, everyone in the nba has discovered that 3pt shots help you win, period, and you have teams like the rockets that just give the ball to harden and let him do his stepbacks and iso ball, or the spurs and warriors (not this years warriors though lol) that pass the ball around and either have enough shooters on the court or just a well enough executed offense that they can reliably get open 3pt looks. the flip side of this is that with expanded 3 point shots and reffing on close range plays you get incredibly high conversion percentages on dunks and layups. the 76ers, thunder, pelicans, clippers, and bucks are all fun to watch play in the paint.

Hmm alright you convinced me. This all makes sense so thanks for the explanation. 76ers are my region so guess I'll start with them and branch out

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the 76ers-suns game right now sounds incredibly bad. i couldn't find a suns stream so i'm listening to the radio but there's been like 16 fouls in 10 minutes and the suns are getting blown out

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Leperflesh posted:

It may be semi-wishful thinking, but when a feral disappears, sometimes it's because someone else rescued them. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked a Nextdoor thread to find someone else in my neighborhood recommending the same cat rescue people I always recommend, to a neighbor with a couple of ferals and kittens in her yard.

The female hanging around our house was gone for over a year, while we had a different girl here. We were pleasantly surprised to see she was still alive and hanging around when she returned, which would have been about a year ago now.

More realistically... yeah, ferals have hard, shorter lives, so it's a dice roll for sure.
I live out in the sticks and sometimes roaming dogs and coyotes are heard, plus the ever present danger of rapidly moving vulcanized rubber. Oddly enough haven't seen any ferals around in a while, used to see one or two a month on the edges of the property / out by the neighbor's barn.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

another thing is you should hop around on the different regional streams, the celtics and warriors announcers are bad but the lakers kings and suns are some of the best. national tv is a mixed bag with reggie miller and mark jackson being jason witten tier

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

Pretty fun and pretty awesome main actor

Stephen Tchoo is possibly the best character ever

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

iwentdoodie posted:

Just had Jewish tostadas for dinner and I am in loving heaven.

Latkes with chorizo in them, made in a waffle iron, then topped with refried beans, a fried egg, and then broil quickly to melt cheese on top.

I am so loving fat and happy.

That sounds delicious, but isn't Chorizo pork?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CannonFodder posted:

out by the neighbor's barn.

I'm not around them regularly anymore but I can't remember seeing a working barn without a bunch of feral or semi-feral cats.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Skwirl posted:

Yea. And refried beans are made with lard.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Skwirl posted:

I mean Jewish literally because they're latkes, not for any other reason.

Edit: and it was beef chorizo, for the record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My wife and I watched no country this weekend and it reminded me of this. I can't stop thinking about it

https://twitter.com/husbandsrevenge/status/1042573051219595269

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 3, 2019