Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Shrapnig posted:

Dwight Gayle is cool and good, and he is my friend.

He is. Shame his hamstrings are more like cheese string

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Real Name Grover posted:

Figure of speech — but don't tell me that having the most popular American soccer player won't be a boon to Chelsea's popularity stateside.

To what end? I mean, shirt sales don't go into the hands of the club really, so having a bunch more American plastics isn't really going to matter in that regards. They're not going to be going to the games. Does TV viewership matter? Not really. I suppose they can get a good pre-season tour out of it.

Buying players to supposedly "increase foreign support" or whatever has always seemed weird to me. I've never seen any real evidence that it does the club any favours over, you know, actually being good at football.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Yeah I think the big winner in that whole sense is NBC, not the club.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

sassassin posted:

Who is going to match Drinkwater's insane wages?

Chelsea will have to subsidize his wages for sure, but it sounds like multiple PL clubs are interested

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
This level of move is unprecedented for an American. All I'm saying is that it factored into that transfer fee.

Speaking of American moves, check out this sweet graphic ESPN tweeted (and has since deleted)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Freddy Adu lol

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Real Name Grover posted:

This level of move is unprecedented for an American. All I'm saying is that it factored into that transfer fee.

Speaking of American moves, check out this sweet graphic ESPN tweeted (and has since deleted)

Wow what a great graphic I had no idea Freddy Adu played for Sunderland

Hint: he didn’t

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Navas to Arsenal ?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Would not make a ton of sense with Leno moving over not that long ago

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
Spurs also have no money, and making any signings is contingent on a load of players leaving, notably Dembele, Wanyama, N'Koudou, and Llorente.

Highest priority is definitely a replacement for Dembele, and Ndombele is the name I've seen the most. Would love that but it'd be beyond foolish to have any hope.

Looks like we're also planning on raiding the lower leagues for the likes of winger Jarrod Bowen and maybe Norwich fullback Max Aarons. Anyone have any idea if they're worthwhile? BSE?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

gtkor posted:

Would not make a ton of sense with Leno moving over not that long ago

Arsenal need a good keeper though

Solanke's move to Palace has supposedly fallen through because Big Dom isn't actually fit and Palace need goals immediately. There's talk that Schalke are interested though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
They'd not be getting goals immediately even if he was fit

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

brasstassels posted:

Spurs also have no money, and making any signings is contingent on a load of players leaving, notably Dembele, Wanyama, N'Koudou, and Llorente.

Highest priority is definitely a replacement for Dembele, and Ndombele is the name I've seen the most. Would love that but it'd be beyond foolish to have any hope.

Looks like we're also planning on raiding the lower leagues for the likes of winger Jarrod Bowen and maybe Norwich fullback Max Aarons. Anyone have any idea if they're worthwhile? BSE?

Aarons is quality and destined for a bigger club than Norwich but I doubt it happens this window. We have no need to sell right now and if we don't get promoted its not like his price will be any lower in summer. I reckon its just press talk, big clubs must send scouts to watch every teenager getting minutes in the Championship but don't bid of most of them. Haven't Spurs got the second coming of Kyle Walker as their future right back anyway?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Blue Star Error posted:

Aarons is quality and destined for a bigger club than Norwich but I doubt it happens this window. We have no need to sell right now and if we don't get promoted its not like his price will be any lower in summer. I reckon its just press talk, big clubs must send scouts to watch every teenager getting minutes in the Championship but don't bid of most of them. Haven't Spurs got the second coming of Kyle Walker as their future right back anyway?

Poch won't give Kyle Walker-Peters minutes. Honestly there really doesn't seem to be any real need for Spurs to be messing around with Aarons unless he will be better than Aurier in short order.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Leicester don’t seem likely to buy this window, it’ll be more clearing out of failed purchases from the last few years of joined up management. Would be nice to do something with the Maheez money but no urgency to it so anything like a new striker to eventually replace Vardy will prob wait til the summer at least.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

brasstassels posted:

Jarrod Bowen is a good player and has been in really good form but I think even if he exceeds expectations I don't think he's good enough for spurs

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

brasstassels posted:

Bowen's lighting it up at the moment. Dunno if he could do the same job up a tier (lot of direct running through central midfield when they trounced us for 10 minutes) but he's certainly a Championship standout right now.

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007

TelekineticBear! posted:

Jarrod Bowen is a good player and has been in really good form but I think even if he exceeds expectations I don't think he's good enough for spurs

Not too worried about that if Poch stays. The man can get world class performances out of the most mediocre players.

Saw some rumors about Trippier leaving, which would explain the Aarons interest. Probably just media speculation though.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Navas isn't needed ffs. An actual defender is, however. Wtf is Sven "Diamond Eyes" Mislintat smoking?

Wengy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 2, 2019

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Bundy posted:

I'm surprised Moses hasn't had any time given his work rate.

Need a manager who picks from more than 14 players.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Every single one of you fucks stay away from Milenkovic and Chiesa.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Soulex posted:

Every single one of you fucks stay away from Milenkovic and Chiesa.

I'm sure Juve already have a contract for Chiesa waiting for the summer when they resell a broken Bernardeschi back to you guys.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

I'm sure Juve already have a contract for Chiesa waiting for the summer when they resell a broken Bernardeschi back to you guys.

Hell, they can have a broken Cuadrado too to help sweeten the deal

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
https://twitter.com/NathanAClark/status/1080724215395950592?s=19

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

EvilHawk posted:

To what end? I mean, shirt sales don't go into the hands of the club really, so having a bunch more American plastics isn't really going to matter in that regards. They're not going to be going to the games. Does TV viewership matter? Not really. I suppose they can get a good pre-season tour out of it.

Buying players to supposedly "increase foreign support" or whatever has always seemed weird to me. I've never seen any real evidence that it does the club any favours over, you know, actually being good at football.

Having more plastic American fans raises the profile of the club in a major overseas market which then increases social media engagement (twitter followers, instagram followers, fans on facebook, etc.) which they can then leverage to get more money from sponsors, get more prestigious sponsors, help with recruitment, etc. Suddenly, American companies that wouldn't give the time of day to some football club based in London might start thinking about whatever co-branding opportunities they can have with the club if they can plaster Pulisic's face on their ads.

I think the shirt-selling thing is important in that it also helps raise the profile of the club overseas (my pizza delivery guy showed up wearing a PSG jersey, which i was a little taken aback by) even if the club doesn't make a dime off the actual sale of the shirt.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
all i want is to see christian pulisic wetly chugging a tiny can of tomato juice

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Ben Arfa was unable to play for Nice for months because he played for Hull on loan and a single Newcastle Under 21 match

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1080838256823021568

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

Ben Arfa was unable to play for Nice for months because he played for Hull on loan and a single Newcastle Under 21 match

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1080838256823021568

Probably because the Community Shield isn't considered a competitive fixture.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Probably because the Community Shield isn't considered a competitive fixture.

Certainly wasn't this year lmao

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
otoh some teams starved of the league title consider it part of a treble

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Sky Sports are running with Rangers signing Jermaine Defoe on a loan deal.

He's 36 but that's not a bad option to have on the bench, assuming they keep Morelos. Rangers are also likely to sign Steve Davis again from Southampton. They've got a real chance to win the league this year so no doubt they've decided that now's the time to push the boat out.

Meanwhile Celtic are possibly maybe signing a striker from the Slovakian league. Lol.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Been a while since Rangers went out of business.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Many places reporting that Ramsey signed his pre contract today with Juve. 5 year contract, €6.5m annual wages.

That last contract extension for Khedira was so dumb.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bayern have apparently made a bid of £30m for Hudson-Odoi.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Shrapnig posted:

Bayern have apparently made a bid of £30m for Hudson-Odoi.

Dear God why?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
What the hell happened here?

https://twitter.com/VfLWolfsburg_EN/status/1080876268017471488

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

sassassin posted:

Been a while since Rangers went out of business.

while i doubt they're paying all of Defoe's £100k a week wages he'll probably be on more than most of the squad put together still lol

trem_two posted:

Many places reporting that Ramsey signed his pre contract today with Juve. 5 year contract, €6.5m annual wages.

That last contract extension for Khedira was so dumb.

Not like they would expect to get ramsey on a free normally

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jose posted:

while i doubt they're paying all of Defoe's £100k a week wages he'll probably be on more than most of the squad put together still lol

I understand that transfers are a sore subject for you (goondolences) but what is this shite?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Swansea's Aaron Lewis has joined high-flying Doncaster Rovers on loan in League One for the rest of the season.

There used to be a video of him as a ten year old doing 1000 keepie uppies in his garage on youtube. Must've deleted it. Good player, hope he gets games for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Total Meatlove posted:

I understand that transfers are a sore subject for you (goondolences) but what is this shite?

jemaine defoe earns £100k a week and a quick google for Rangers suggests their average wage is £9k a week