Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i cant wait to hear we all hate leeds scum in the premier league again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i cant wait to hear we all hate leeds scum in the premier league again

It's still part of the Stretford End/away fans loop

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i cant wait to hear we all hate leeds scum in the premier league again sung by human beings

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Wow, rude

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
actually while youre here ninpo, as i often do i was having a think the other day about james milner, and given that he played for leeds, city and liverpool, is there a player who's played for more united rivals than him?

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

Eau de MacGowan posted:

actually while youre here ninpo, as i often do i was having a think the other day about james milner, and given that he played for leeds, city and liverpool, is there a player who's played for more united rivals than him?

Fowler matches it - but as for "more united rivals" who else would there be?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Manc Hill posted:

96-04 Arsenal? :xd:

e: Extending the list to include recent title rivals, Anelka has played for Arsenal and Chelsea as well as Liverpool and City.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 14, 2019

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Manc Hill posted:

arsenal maybe? vieira and keane kicked the poo poo out of each other pretty regularly

e: beaten

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Fowler played for those three also. Who else would be classed as a "United rival" on the same level? Arsenal maybe?

poo poo: beaten.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

Bundy posted:

96-04 Arsenal? :xd:

e: Extending the list to include recent title rivals, Anelka has played for Arsenal and Chelsea as well as Liverpool and City.

borderline criminal missed opportunity for Anelka not to have had a lucrative spell at Leeds in the Ridsdale years tbf, he should retroactively sue whoever his agent was at the time for loss of earnings

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Manc Hill posted:

borderline criminal missed opportunity for Anelka not to have had a lucrative spell at Leeds in the Ridsdale years tbf, he should retroactively sue whoever his agent was at the time for loss of earnings

His agent was his brother, wasn't it? Think it was him always stirring poo poo at every club he was at.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/romeoagresti/status/1084720319498194945

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Are you willing to bold it as a done deal?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

So Arsenal's owner doesn't put money in and they are giving their players away for free. What's the plan here going forwards?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

So Arsenal's owner doesn't put money in and they are giving their players away for free. What's the plan here going forwards?

Ozil, Micky Ryan and one of Aubamayang/Lacazette I assume

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Supposedly there will be money available in the summer. But I suspect the real problem here is the wage bill, and that they’ve avoided re-signing Ramsey and are chasing out Ozil so that they can bring in players that fit the system Emery wants to play.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Mind-blowing to me that Arsenal isn't trying to strengthen in order to finish in the top 4. They're 6 points out of 4th and both Chelsea and Spurs are absolutely capable of finishing 5th.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I think part of it is that all 3 of those teams don't currently have the capacity to spend much more. Chelsea seem to be reigning in spending (canceled the stadium plans) and Spurs are tied with their own stadium issues. Arsenal probably should be trying to spend, but the wage bill is out of line currently and they might just be hoping Emery can get them over the line like Wenger did for so many years.

I realize Pulisic goes against this a little bit, but Chelsea are making money off player trading currently iirc. The days of Roman throwing money out on a whim seem to be over for the moment.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

gtkor posted:

I think part of it is that all 3 of those teams don't currently have the capacity to spend much more. Chelsea seem to be reigning in spending (canceled the stadium plans) and Spurs are tied with their own stadium issues. Arsenal probably should be trying to spend, but the wage bill is out of line currently and they might just be hoping Emery can get them over the line like Wenger did for so many years.

I realize Pulisic goes against this a little bit, but Chelsea are making money off player trading currently iirc. The days of Roman throwing money out on a whim seem to be over for the moment.

At the moment Chelsea seem likely to bring in Higuain and Paredes, which would be a big boost imo.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Bundy posted:

It's still part of the Stretford End/away fans loop

Its still part of seemingly every ground in the country, I was at a Stevenage game and the home fans burst out into leeds scum chant

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Manc Hill posted:

Given our clown car financial responsibility we'd likely still be paying his wages now if he ever joined leeds.

Also leeds have been linked to Daniel James, who as a Swansea reject I assume is a wasteman but i look for sassassin to confirm

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TelekineticBear! posted:

Also leeds have been linked to Daniel James, who as a Swansea reject I assume is a wasteman but i look for sassassin to confirm

He's not a reject he's the best winger prospect we've got and was tearing up the league with motm performances before a hamstring injury in December. Got his first Wales cap in the last international break. He's not Brooks and WIlson level but he's got a big future nonetheless.

Been watching him since u18s. If we let him go for £2.5m (after spending £2m on Joel loving Asoro) I riot. Don't see why we would, though. He's on affordable wages and has 18 months left.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Oh phwoar I'll be very happy if we get him then, but if I thought we were only after him because he was surplus to requirement but if that isnt the case im now skeptical we'll get him

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TelekineticBear! posted:

Oh phwoar I'll be very happy if we get him then, but if I thought we were only after him because he was surplus to requirement but if that isnt the case im now skeptical we'll get him

He should have played our last game now he's fit again but Potter thinks Dyer and Routledge come as a set and can only play together.

Although maybe he's been tapped up and that's why he didn't come on.

Maybe he is surplus to Potter's requirements somehow. We've got shitloads of wingers but they're all either on much bigger wages or are much less effective players. Mostly both. Watching Narsingh and Asoro for the u23s right now and they're both pointless wastes of space.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Mind-blowing to me that Arsenal isn't trying to strengthen in order to finish in the top 4. They're 6 points out of 4th and both Chelsea and Spurs are absolutely capable of finishing 5th.

Read an article today that basically said (as others have pointed out) Arsenal are hosed by the wage bill and the fact there are rules in the Premier League that dictate what you can do with your wage bill which are actually effective unlike the FFP bullshit.

£7m extra on the wage bill a year gets you Welbeck and Mhikitaryan. United have got around this because SAF burned the. Into the global conciousness and for all his wankery Woodward has coined it in big time commercially which supports the spending.

Sanhelli is supposed to be addressing the mismanagement that has been hamstringing us for years regarding poor contract management but yet to see if he walks the walk: Arsenal are the worst of the big 6 sides at selling players on by some margin, City and Liverpool have sold players on that have done nothing or very little in the league for the same amount or more than we have moved on players with over 100 league appearances.

Part of this is because Wenger tried to be fair and pay all the players similar wages so you end up with poo poo players clubs don't want to pay a big fee for because of their wage demands. Another part of it is because we continually allow players to get to a stage where they have all the control in deals weakening our hand significantly (Ramsey today, Nasri, RvP 'yesterday').

Add in an uninterested owner and it's a perfect storm.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

We've had to keep Jenkinson around for years because of the contract that Wenger gave him, and he's not even good enough to be our 2nd choice right back

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
wasn't walcott on like £120k a week

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jose posted:

wasn't walcott on like £120k a week

Yeah cos he threatened to leave and then even though noone else wanted him we shat our pants, paid him £120k a week and started him up front, letting him take all set pieces until it was painfully obvious he is just that kid in the playground who can win a foot race chasing a ball but isn't actually a footballer.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Talk about Rangers buying some Charlton striker in on another precontract and some bullshit about Ravel Morrison on loan? so I cannot wait for the window to be over.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
How many pies does Struan Marshall have fingers in?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Total Meatlove posted:

Talk about Rangers buying some Charlton striker in on another precontract and some bullshit about Ravel Morrison on loan? so I cannot wait for the window to be over.

Is Gerrard in charge of transfers there? I keep thinking about things he has said in the past like this and it makes me fear for his future as a manager.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/aug/10/joe-cole-messi-gerrard-liverpool

quote:

"[Lionel] Messi can do some amazing things, but anything he can do Joe can do as well, if not better. He used to shock us in training by doing footy tricks with a golf ball that most players can't even do with a football. I really fancy Joe for the [player of the year] award this season."

Given that Liverpool are inevitably going to give him the keys to the club at some point, I hope he's showing signs of decent judgment at Rangers.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Chelsea have put a 100m tag on Hazard. Which in this climate seems a bit "low".

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
That’s odd haven’t seen that mentioned on Chelsea twitter at all. Wheres it being mentioned?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

hadji murad posted:

That’s odd haven’t seen that mentioned on Chelsea twitter at all. Wheres it being mentioned?

Big pinch of salt etc.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/01/14/chelsea-put-100-million-price-tag-eden-hazard-decides-join-real/

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks. Probably has a lot to do with the one year left on his contract. I wonder if it’s even worth it going for him at his age with what Madrid need to do.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

all the european clubs are just waiting for brexit to sink the pound and they'll raid the premier league at a 30% discount in the summer

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Arsenal Head of Recruitment Sven Mislentat (aka Diamond Eye, the man who spotted all those Dortmund players) is to leave the club because he feels his position is untenable. Which is reassuring.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/FulhamFC/status/1085235256796549122

Oooooooooooooooooh!
Ooooooooooooooooo-

RYAN BABEL

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Brony Car posted:

https://twitter.com/FulhamFC/status/1085235256796549122

Oooooooooooooooooh!
Ooooooooooooooooo-

RYAN BABEL

RYAN BABEL
RYAN BABEI
RYAN BAB _
RYAN BAB L

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
James Rodriguez switching loans from Bayern to Arsenal for £3m is a thing apparently. Papers also say Carrasco can only come if Ozil goes, only team interested in Ozil is Inter if it's a loan where they don't pay all his wages.