Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Pardot posted:

anything remotely related to bitcoin is dumb

even ruthlessly mocking it? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i think you're allowed to get to first base with an animal bc that's how the farmers milk that prize bull semen

I don't think of myself as particularly prudish, but what the gently caress is second or third base in an analogy where first is a handjob to completion?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
how brave of him to challenge the already underfunded enforcement arm during a government shutdown :jerkbag:

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

partial government shutdown. i'm pretty sure the irs is still running

partially running. for example, they aren't processing refunds, and they were already understaffed for enforcement before this. taunting the skeleton crew that's left is hilariously pathetic

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

Let it sink in: Apple lost more marketcap in one day than the whole markedcap of BTC. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 13 hours ago by Btcyodaredditor for 3 months

Last Wednesday Apple lost some 75 billion MarketCap compared to currently 66 billion MC of BTC.. Last 3 months Apple lost some 450 billion MC.

This is just one company. Imagine this kind of money flowing into BTC. What if it gets out for lets say Austria to start investing in BTC as being a reserve iso the dollar or stocks.

Got some BTC yet?

just one company was able to lose the entire footprint of the cryptocurrency economy in a single day and still remain one of the most powerful companies in the world. rather than see this as an indication of how insignificant my hobby money really is, I'll just imagine all that money enriching me because

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

gammabum 1 point 6 hours ago*

So, let me propose a (incomplete) thought-experiment to answer this question: Can we control Gov't via their involvement in crypto?:

Scenario: you owe taxes, but your only asset is crypto, (& want gov't to 'seize' asset at high-value moment)

You go to court ($$), lose case. Subsequently, (time passes) Gov't sells your ('seized') crypto for less than you paid.

You purchase crypto at this lower price point.

rinse, repeat?????? (my brain has fizzled here... 'good luck, Jim').

so much to unpack here

- this plan hinges on number go down, which is not something butters usually predict
- controlling government is not a thing that happens as a result of this plan, but as a prerequisite (making them seize an asset at a specific time)
- not to mention timing the peak
- but you're timing the peak without selling, instead relying on the government to seize your assets for your debt as a roundabout way of selling (???)
- part of the plan is to spend money taking the government to court with the expectation you will lose
- and it's supposed to be repeatable??????

:wtc:

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
tbf, mycrimes.txt is such cartoonishly bad opsec that it's not a huge leap for even the mildly conspiracy minded to assume it's fake/planted

the feds probably couldn't believe their eyes when they saw it

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Paladinus posted:

I can't believe all I have to do is drop small packs of artisan flour to specified locations! A bit strange the boss promised to cut me if I try the flour, but whatever, the money is great!

deadcomefebruary indeed

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

arkatekt617 (deleted by user)0 points22 hours ago

I started with 70,000, it made 917000 and I did not sell. I am still underwater on 20 different cryptocurrency trades. I've been writing it down for 10 months because I did not know when to sell I now have 20,000. Don't feel bad. If you can hold until near end of 2019 or 2020 you'll be in for a world of wonder and Fortune. I only hope that I can hold because I owe 1100 a month on this $70,000 loan

this twist* ending fills me with mirth

*obviously it's not that surprising, but the reveal still has great comic timing

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Boxturret posted:

i used all my money to buy bitcoin which i then sold to buy more bitcoin

also I borrowed the money

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

One-Man-Bucket posted:

- There are no signs that she is not alive, says Tommy Brøske.

uhhhh, hopefully this is a translation quirk, because this is an ominous-as-gently caress way to convey this information

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
I thought garry davies died in prison in the 80s

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

:wrong:

you're not thinking big enough. i hope we have life extending drugs so that we can keep ross alive until the heat death of the universe, in prison the entire time. then we transfer him to a prison in a newer universe and keep it going

p sure you just invented hell dude

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Sedge and Bee posted:

20% of Bitcoin's daily trading volume generated by a single project

quote:

no one can stop VeriBlock from doing what they are doing.

or anyone else lol how many layers of tragedy of the commons can we pile on one dysfunctional community

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

jre posted:

Why the gently caress didn’t they sell some at 900k and pay off the loan :psyduck:

one of my former co-workers was into cryptocurrency, and to his credit, he did this pretty close to the peak. he sold enough to pay for his initial investment (not a loan) and the taxes (!!!) on the gains and is just holding the rest long-term to "see what happens"

for as much as I disagree with touching the poop on principle, I can't fault his approach

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

ymgve posted:

cant they just go 888 and have triple prosperity

this is what my neighbors did for their minivan's vanity license plate, so I think you're onto something

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

BMan posted:

google weather stopped showing me the frog. why is the frog gone

I'll find my frog
who took my frog
who found my frog

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

"I used my son to legally shield me from consequences and they didn't buy it. :("

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

:wrong:

for the love of satoshi, continue having these meetings in public

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
are silicon valley, entourage, and the wolf of wall street even in the same vein as each other?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

CampingCarl posted:

is 1-2 quarters to go from funding to premier a more or less realistic goal than somehow using it to fund a mission to Mars by 2021?

that part almost seems like tongue in cheek "in on the joke" shenanigans. "haha we get that this is a really ambitious timeline -- see, we even claimed our entertainment company is going to field a mission to space"

but who am I kidding, of course it's a sincere claim. even if they don't mean it, they do want the "investors" to believe they're serious

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Shame Boy posted:

why does he keep saying this, where did he even get that idea, it's so incredibly obviously false i feel like typing it into google would put me on some special list of morons

it feels like he's just waiting for someone to challenge it, so he can launch into a whole screed about how most fiat transactions are fake, and even the real ones are using imaginary fiat money unlike the real stored value of bitcoin

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Gazpacho posted:

Posted byu/Grevio redditor for 1 week19 hours ago
Turning a dairy farm into an eco-responsible cricket farm that use ASIC machines for heating =)

We are exited to announce that we have purchased our farm !

The project is to turn an old dairy farm into a cricket farm. We will also be working to make a mining operation (ASIC/BITCOIN) to heat our farm.

Stay tuned for daily publication regarding our progress.

don't living things usually like to have a stable temperature that isn't just heaters running 100% all day?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Nenonen posted:

u misspelled werehows

I love how on a full moon

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

jfc following the d&d book with this made my brain spend way too long trying to make it an alignment chart.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

Bitcoin wasn't easy.... (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 1 day ago by Satoshi_addiction

I wrote a letter today to my granchildren explaining that Hodling the Bitcoin that enables a better life for them then wasn't easy to achieve. Their grandfather wasn't just lucky to buy bitcoin for a few thousand dollars, it was hard. Hard to hold and not "cash out" during multiple bear markets. Hard not to abandon during malicious forks claiming to be the real Bitcoin. Hard for their grandfather to watch his initial investment multiply tenfold and then lose eight fold but still hold on because he wasn't a professional trader. What made it manageable was knowing that Bitcoin is revolutionary and although hard sometimes their grandfather saw how it was a game changer from the current (at the time) monetary policy and crooked fiat schemes. Spend it wisely my young ones, do good in the world with it and help others. Remember that In every battle there comes a time when both sides consider themselves beaten, then he who continues the attack wins.

Grandpa

was... was this the letter?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

if there's one thing I know, it's that talking about ongoing legal charges against you is always a good idea

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Ghostlight posted:

i haven't paid taxes for eight years because it's not illegal

the irs have filed charges against me and anybody involved in funding me for unspecified tax crimes

:thunk:

all I did was taunt them directly and tell them to "come find me." that they would come find me is outrageous and I am appalled at this clear act of aggression on their part

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Suspicious posted:

only the deluded post on r/Bitcoin. the buyers who realized how stupid it all is left quietly and you don't hear from them

an internet community that doesn't engender grandiose "why I'm quitting" posts? maybe they're doing at least one thing right

no they aren't. it's probably the threats and harassment to "traitors" that have this effect

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

who the hell names their kid a nickname rather than the full name? gotta search elizabeth to have any idea at all, not betty

so basically there's no good way to know how popular the moniker "betty" is in terms of people who actually go by that, but it's very misleading at best to cite statistics for elizabeth

can we ditch this boring-as-gently caress derail squabble now?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

The Revolution in Science. The New Biggest Ever Fundamental Discoveries in Physics. The experimental discovery of New Clean Renewable (Inexhaustible) Energy.

https://medium.com/p/d8919d784567

lol "I discovered an inexhaustible source of clean energy by changing the definitions of work and energy so they no longer have to accomplish anything useful"

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
I mean, I guess it makes some sense that the message "energy doesn't necessarily need to do something useful -- all that matters is that I have access to a lot of it" would resonate with people who have done the same thing with "money"

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
its what the kids call a "mush-up"

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

EorayMel posted:

It worked for moses and the mana in the desert, I think.

send loafcoin and fishcoin to this address and get 5000% back in 2h!

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

dang, and yours was even better executed

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

SRQ posted:

why in the holy gently caress would it hit three thousand

ftfy

once you accept that the market is irrational enough to allow any amount of real money to be paid for a worthless thing, anything is possible

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

your money is only a fixed number if you never use it for anything

i know this particular flavor of brain damage isn't new or rare among bitcoiners, but i can't stop being baffled by it

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

lol "payment details: you have to pay airbnb $1,000 using bitcoin"

I love how this tool tries to make himself sound skeptical throughout the whole story, doing due diligence by googling the guys name, but he still falls for this

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

Did you really think $20,000 was the epitome of the promise that is Bitcoin? If so, go back and read the white paper again, piece together the logic and rationality of the interlocking parts, from the mining algorithm to the psychology of why bitcoin went from $0 to $20k. Forget $20k, first understand that there is a reason why it is worth anything at all. 0 to 1.

Something from nothing.

so close...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Erenthal posted:

god pls be true

can't decide whether to disdain the gullibility of butters, living the same cursed groundhog day loop of failure over and over, or the paranoia of butters, donning tinfoil hats and throwing occam's razor to the wind over a typo

you are tearing me apart, bitcoin!