Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ullerrm posted:

He’s still living above his means and being petulant about it... but the shitcoins were sold. Gotta applaud the baby steps.

Did he buy before the bubble burst or did he buy on the way down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

that A is a travesty

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Boxturret posted:

wait it was in september? why is it only recently that they're saying he lost all their coins

he probably totally promised that the keys were stored in a secure place that other people could also access and they spent a few months realising that lol nope keys gone

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

glad we cleared that up

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

wait, is it a browser addon or something that twitter are going to implement? because if it's a browser extension won't it just be a bunch of bitcoin enthusiasts jerking themselves off and nobody else will be able to see the buttons?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

is someone pumping the price? what the hell is even going on?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

i can't think of any way for her to find out that you're 100k in debt no sir

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

...! posted:

I've been looking into doing laminated paper wallets but havent found a great site that's both easy to use and safe. I've also seen novelty paper wallets, which seem fun, but how would the creator not also have the private key.

I need to obtain a laminated piece of paper but I can't find anyone to make one for me please help I am completely out of ideas

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

humz, is the thread bugged? it lists one additional reply from Paladinus but it doesn't show. what did you say bitcoin thread poster? i must know

edit: i regret everything

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

so wait did he outsource the eating of his dick to a whale or not?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

on the other hand if there is only one math then surely he did not need to specify which one

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Boxturret posted:

there's the pluses and the dashes and the backslashes and the ubside down vees and the stars

i guess you just do them all until you understand the bitcoin

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

...! posted:

Want to help get Venezuela to adopt Bitcoin? Hire Venezuelan workers remotely and pay them in Bitcoin. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 58 minutes ago by medguy22

Venezuelans can't exchange their bolivars for Bitcoin, they need Bitcoin pumped into their system. If their country was flooded with Bitcoin, which most can't obtain, they would switch to Bitcoin instead of the dollar.

You can hire Venezuelans on Fiverr, Upwork, Freelancer.com

i imagine they are particularly productive during blackouts

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

i'm the attempt at making quantitative easing look bad by saying it's the same as the thing you're trying to peddle.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

poty posted:

reuters is saying that china is looking into banning crypto mining

does anyone know how to short bitcoin with 1000x leverage

even if it isn't true this rumour alone should tank the price

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

disagreeing with an empty quote of your own post?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

...! posted:

Claim an Island and Make Bitcoin the National Currency? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 12 hours ago * by OGKebabEater

There is a small uninhabited island a bit off the shore of the town beach in long island where I have a house

I am thinking of venturing there and claiming it the Principality of Bitcoin. We could make the national currency Bitcoin. Start a micronation with land claims for bitcoin

I can make the trip via boat or kayak

Should I make the trek there and plant a bitcoin flag? Would Anyone Support the Principality of Bitcoin? Where Can I buy a Bitcoin Flag.

FYI the island is not marked on maps. That is how small it is

If we can figure out a way to get power we can also run web servers on it, uninterrupted and away from the reach of centralized powers since it would be in international waters

Ah the international waters a bit off the shore from your house.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

...! posted:

bitcoiners can`t read too well. the guy exchanged literally millions of dollars, often more than $10,000 in a single day. he clearly falls under the legal definition of an msb but there are already bitcoiners screeching about how the government is gonna come after anyone who ever sold bitcoins

these people are dumb as gently caress

launders millions of dollars, gets fined $35k. seems like a pretty good deal tbh

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

you monsters

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

a new challenger approaches

New Evidence Suggests Satoshi Nakamoto Is Paul Solotshi, The Creator of Encryption Software E4M and TrueCrypt

probably bollocks, and double bollocks because he has links to nakamoto dundee

this discovery originated from typoing his name in a google search didn't it

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

other candidates for satoshi's real identity include:

bob slatosho
jim santoshy
frank satoasfasdfsda

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

i took one look at that thumbnail and assumed just from the look of the room and what he's wearing that the dude has a lot to say about feminism that i don't want to hear

seriously what the gently caress is he wearing

does he think this is what rich people wear?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-11/crypto-exchanges-are-facing-biggest-regulatory-hurdle-yet?srnd=premium-europe

10 days until all crypto exchanges globally will be required to record the identities of anyone involved in transactions of over $1000 or fall foul of international money laundering rules.

Sounds fun

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Do tethers not count as crypto currency? I don't understand how you can ban crypto exchanges but still let people buy tether. How do tethers even work if they're not a crypto currency?

Also why would any lender think this was a good idea? Number go up, the borrower will have no problem repaying. Number go down, they default and the collateral is worthless?

Chalks fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 18, 2019

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

a year later: “I laughed at this dumb thing before it became a 401k option! man can’t wait to see these buttcoiners reach retirement and become as penniless as me!!”

predictions aside, did you buy back into bitcoin?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

I never got out of Bitcoin, and my investments have never looked better

Wait, bitcoin was worth twice as much not so long ago... How have they never looked better?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

it did for me, too bad you guys missed the boat

hey ok, lets ignore the whole "never looked better" thing and move on - here's what I really want to know:

have you learnt from the last crash and will you sell your bits as soon as the bubble looks like it's about to burst?

obviously it'll crash even harder this time so getting out while the going is good seems like pretty good advice. after all, the difference between 5 million dollars and 10 million really isn't all that much compared to the difference between 5 million and zero.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

SubG posted:

how much is that in tethers

in tethers all those numbers have the same value

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

idk why everyone is brushing past the never looked better part. the price is at $11k now; anyone with a few bitcoins on hand is looking at a pretty solid return on their investment right now, but whatever

obviously I’ll cash out if it looks like price is trending down for the long term but there just isn’t any sign of that. for the last few months it’s been gaining in price to the point where a single bitcoin costs 5 figures now

so nah I plan to keep investing in bitcoin. it looks like it’s going to keep gaining value into the foreseeable future so why not

the joke about the "never looked better" part is the fact that it was worth 20k not too long ago and obviously looked better then.

i'm glad you plan on making a sensible decision before it crashes again this time. it's unlikely that it'll spike to the same heights as it did last time, but at least you have a second chance to actually make it out with some money

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

unfortunately none yet, my bitcoin account is currently sitting at a little over $300k, so it’ll be a while before I get to 7 digits

this question really isn’t getting you anywhere

It's an interesting question as to what you consider to be enough gain to cash out. I mean if you've made 400k and only have 300k in coins I guess you're happy to lose it all and still be 100k up?

You can be pretty certain it isn't going to go above the last bubble and there's no way to intelligently pick when it will crash again so really you're just flipping a coin to maybe double the money or maybe lose it all.

Would you rather lose 300k for the chance of 600, instead of walking away with 300 guaranteed?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Boxturret posted:

IM YELLING OUT OF EXCITEMENT NOT DESPARATION I LOVE THE BITCOIN

ALSO PLEASE IGNORE THE FACT THAT THE END OF THIS TWEET IS ON FIRE EVERYTHING IS FINE 🔥

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

...! posted:

Adding BTC symbol on computer keyboards next to the $ would make BTC mainstream. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 4 hours ago by r3310

Millions of people would get interested to know what does the symbol mean. It would also contribute to the subliminal legitimacy of Bitcoin. I am sure this would make the adoption faster and BTC mainstream since it's one of the "real" currencies. This is just my 2 cents. I would like to hear your opinion guys!

Looking forward to a button that types a square box when I press it

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

one of the replies to the quoted tweet is by this guy who seems real fun

i bet some bitcoiners have some very conflicted feelings about him

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

pyramids, certainly the most appropriate ancient wonder to compare bitcoin to.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

In my defence I sent my money to a random account

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

what the gently caress are you eating that costs you $3000 per month

what are you doing with all your clothes

how big is your house

why aren't you spending more on candles

honestly the bitcoins seem like the most restrained part of this

Chalks fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 10, 2019

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

that part that makes me scratch my head the hardest is the car insurance vs cellphone bill

how is he spending $500 a month of car insurance and how the hell did he reduce his cellphone bill to $40 a month :psyduck:

How much do Americans spend on cellphone bills? I pay £15 per month for unlimited data and some amount of free texts and calls that I never use because it's 2019.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

your funds are measured using the resistance of the notes stacked on top of each other

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

DerekSmartymans posted:

Lot to put on a sign. Better if it goes on a wiki.

"Buy Bitcoin[1]"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

obviously you get to call her mom